So apparently WoT sells your identity and browsing history

So apparently WoT sells your identity and browsing history.
lifehacker.com/web-of-trust-sells-your-browsing-history-uninstall-it-1788667989
I rely on it so much I'm having a hard time removing it though.
Anyone else like me?

Other urls found in this thread:

mywot.com/en/scorecard/' location.hostname))
ghacks.net/2016/11/05/mozilla-and-google-remove-wot-extension/#comment-4023307
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You don't need WOT. Use common sense.

>Have I used this site before today?
>Does this site seem off?
>Does this site use HTTPS or not?

And use the uBlock Origin Malvertising and malware lists.

Lol, it's been known already for months.

wot the fok it WOT?

But little green circles are so much more reassuring senpai, it just doesn't feel the same

And where can I find those lists
Or are you talking about the ones ublock origin just has enabled by default

not by me

a little safety tool that put a little green circle beside a link if users reported it safe, yellow for shady, and red for do not click

also another thing, i mean if wot had been doing this shit for who knows how long and nobody knew about it, isn't it a reasonable assumption that you likely have another addon that's doing the exact same shit but just hasn't been found out yet or ever
am i crazy for thinking this

in which case i might add, there is no reason to even remove wot from your addons unless you remove all other addons too

This is why you should not trust random companies that claim to want your own good will for nothing in return. I think single devs (i.e uBlockOrigin) are trustworthy, but companies like Disconnect.me or Ghostery.. eh, not so much.

>doc says you have lung cancer
>better not start treatment, you might as well have undiscovered testicle cancer

This is how retarded you sound.

use a bookmarklet

javascript:void(open('mywot.com/en/scorecard/' location.hostname))

stolen from
ghacks.net/2016/11/05/mozilla-and-google-remove-wot-extension/#comment-4023307

what are you talking about
you're comparing the likelihood of having an undiscovered bullshit addon to the likelihood of having an undiscovered cancer
how is that any less retarded than my assumption that i might have another bullshit addon floating around
if yours is based on some facts im not aware of, pls inform us so we may be less retarded
otherwise, butt out buttface

bro i don't know how to do this
do i have to into javascript to pull this off?

Create a new bookmark.
Name= wot
address= javascript:void(open('mywot.com/en/scorecard/' location.hostname))
I don't know why you need wot in the first place, is reddit-tier kind of cancer, but whatever gloats your boat..

you mean you don't use this yourself?
why do you have this code on you then

That user isn't me. The last time this was brought up that was a proposed solution.

Create a new bookmark and paste that into the url field and then give it a name. If you visit a page click the bookmark and it will automatically copy the current url and paste it into that mywot website which directs you to the ratings for that site.

yeah he explained how it worked in his post

thx btw

it doesn't work on this page though, why's that

I don't have that code, it was posted above.

I have been using Disconnect. Any good alternatives?

started shitting myself until I realised WoT wasn't World of Tanks

old news but yeah don't use WOT.

What for? uBlockOrigin is better and provides the disconnect lists as well, assuming you want to use them, I personally find them useless.

I dont know why anyone would ever use wot. Its whole premise is basically "community rating", i.e. normies trying to identify save vs dangerous sites. Do you seriously trust the collective opinion of a bunch of retards who don't know what a browser is? False negatives and false positives everywhere

Don't need the list, just want it to block trackers.
Would that serve the same purpose as Disconnect?

Yes, it would outdo Disconnect in every single way. It's simply a supperior add-on, and the developer is actually trysted.

Is this legit?
could you post an example of either/or?

Someone else here.
Why are they useless?
I want to prevent social media tracking.

Yea uBlock is great, I use it anyways. Would that single setting block all the trackers though?
Because basic tracking list is all I see.

Well, I already use EasyList privacy / Ultimate, MVPS and Peter Lowe's, which are superior to Disconnect's.

Same as above

Do you select all of that in the settings?

See my screenshot these are all the filters I use. They're doing a fine job. By default MVPS and Ultimate list do not come selected, I recommend you select those. Also EU anti cookie crap and your regional list. You may also want to use one of the anit-anti-afblock lists - these block the crap like "oops you're using an ad blocker blah blah.."

Thanks a lot man, sorry for being a noob.
I am from the U.S, so what would be my regional list? If any.

I don't think you should use any regionals then, the ones in my screenshot (mius RU) should have you covered.

>But little green circles are so much more reassuring
Placebo. Those are based on user reviews, not actual malware or pop-ups reported but user input about how they feel about the site. Used to be dailystormer and other kkk sites were all red even though they were just forums, same as this board and the rest of Sup Forums. Sites with actual shit but a non-racist/sexist/homophobic purpose were yellow or green but it still stands that user feelings determined why some sites were red.

Great! Appreciate it man, feels good to remove that shit extension.
It's better then Ghostery but I still don't trust it.