Fixed a laptop and got to keep it!

So an old friend from my hometown sent me this 'non-working' Lenovo G585 (not a true 'Thinkpad', hence the moniker of 'Stinkpad'). The screen didn't work, he said, and when i got my hands on it, it didn't even power on. He said his aunt told him the screen stopped working, and gave it to him, and if he could get it working, it was his. He couldn't get it working, and sent it to me, with the same deal: get it working or scrap it, didn't matter. So i took it apart, reseated the ribbon cable on the back of the LCD panel (was partially disconnected), as well as reconnected the power ribbon cable (whoever was tinkering at it left it disconnected). Long story short, it powered on, screen works, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. So i wiped the drive (no liabilities for me), and installed Win10. After a fair bit of updating and tweaking of things in the OS, it's working decently for what it is. Anyone have similar stories?

>so i wiped the drive

Should have looked for nudes first.

>grandmothers acer aspire one stops working
>same deal, if i can fix it i can have it
>its just filled with 5 years of random shit
>wipe it, install vista again
>drop in a 4gb stick of ram
>works fuckin great
>she takes it back because it works now
Bitch
She ended up actually breaking it, by spilling a cup of coffee on the poor thing.

I liked that tiny laptop

Christ no, if his aunt looks like him, no thanks, he looks like if Dave Chappelle was a native american (nothing wrong with him looking like it, but i'd rather not see a version of him with tits).
that blows. Good thing about this is that my buddy makes decent bank working at a hydroelectric plant. That Aspire One must have been punchy with 4 gigs in it.

Eh, I had quite the same thing, my friend was moving and he gave me his "old" laptop, he had it for a while and it stoped working, runs but screen didn't power on, he had already bought a new one before I could have a look, it was a pretty decent machine for the time, 4GB of RAM, Core 2 Duo, that was many years ago. Told me if I can get it to work or just scrap it, he does not need it, I opened it up first thing after I got it and the display connector was slightly loose, that was the only problem. I told him that latter and he was happy, told me to have fun with it.

>and installed Win10

>At work
>"unpauid worker user. This Monitor is brokeh. Trash it"
>Cable was broken
>Steal cable and monitor

does this count

I bought a 200€ good enough for BF3 laptop.
It constantly overheated
Changed heatpaste and cleaned fan.
saved 400€

>STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE REEE

>liking
I dont think choosing win10 is a preference for anyone sane. Its just easy and cheap.

Windows 10 was designed for tech illiterate retards, while completely ignoring what power users expect from OS and taking as much control from people as possible. Are you really that surprised that people on TECHNOLOGY board don't like it?

>I NEED MUH LOONIX
>Hurr I like configuring and ricing instead of using a computer!
bugger off m8

cuck

I can assure you I have multiple OSs at my disposable and know how to handle them
by multiple I mean Win7, 8, 8.1, 10, Debian and Ubuntu
and I would always pick 10

have a nice day

disposal
nice autocorrect breh

Great arguments. As expected of tech illiterate Sup Forums manchild. Don't you have gaymes to play?
I use both linux and Windows.

Kek, insecure much? Changing your argument this fast.

I got myself a thinkpad (half of one at least) on a data recovery job, guy i know got the screen of his thinkpad forcefully ripped from the main body, the board was still working so he asked my to save his data and i could keep the laptop afterwards, it was an i5 with 4gb of ram and now its a server.

>forcefully ripped
HOW

Didn't ask because knowing the guy i probably didn't want to know, but the damage to the board was minimal thanks to the massive hinges on the thinkpad.

do you want a fucking medal?
this is basic shit, user

Nearbeard rage when kernel panic

How do you use Adobe on Linux? Don't say WINE or VM because these are slow as shit.

You use macOS instead of Windows or Linux.

disown her

I can't afford a Mac. Why should I pay hundreds of dollars to run Adobe software on a Mac when Windows does it fine?

Every bit of tech I own is through fixing and keeping it.

OS X is free (as in beer), you can install it on any amd64 architecture microcomputer.

Useless, you ruin everything that's great about macOS when running it on non Apple hardware.

Seriously, just use Windows then.

>not a true 'Thinkpad'
It is NOT a Thinkpad, period. Heck it is not even an IdeaPad.

Lenovo ThinkPads are not true ThinkPads either

Yes, those are not true ThinkPads, but OP's laptop is something else completely.