letterboxd.com/sexyfox/
mobile.twitter.com/Winston_Smith33
youtube.com/channel/UCSR-0t_4Hzj7zNLr_st89FQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Please stop making shit threads, thanks

Dumb frogposter

Because they are.
Give me 1(one) use for them.
"The OS boots faster on a SSD" is not an use.

_Some_ people call SSD a meme because they can't afford them. It dropped my ThinkPad's boot time from 15 minutes to 35 seconds.

basically this

You're spending too much time on this anime website if you think that.

Thats a beatiful woman.

paid shills by the hdd industry

Some people need a laptop and have a life as well, you know?

If your watercooled battlestation has an average uptime of 50 hours that's your user case, not everyone's.

Everything is called a meme.

It doesn't mean anything.

read caching,
databases,
more io

>yfw memes are memes that are starting to become their own meme

It uses less power, lighter, isn't as shock sensitive, quiet, no moving parts, all good things, especially if you have a laptop (it will also be MUCH faster than a 5200 laptop drive)

Because it's too fast. Nobody need to have files that fast. Anyone who think they do is tricking themselves.

spindle hdds were bottlenecking CPUs for decades

dont all storage drives have a general purpose cache?

Because they don't have SSDs.

I went back to my old PC which I'm selling soon with that hard drive I used, and holy shit it's unbearable in comparison. Every laptop or desktop I use now that only uses a hard drive now feels like it's a decade old.

Yo

Which is the most powerful thinkpad I can buy for cheap that I can put 8gb of RAM and attach a SSD to?

you don't specify size or anything.

T400/T420 NEXT

>
THESE

True. I'm alright with any size. I'm even willing to bring 17" with me as long as it's good.

>mfw fell for ssd meme
:)

Is this picture a meme now?

Companies with a lot of backstocked HDDs are shilling on Sup Forums. Simple as that.

People have been surviving for thousands of years off of hard drives ever since the invention of the wheel and axle, if you go SSD, you are choosing to use a lesser quality rectangular disk, after all, would your car run on square wheels?

I put hard drives in a Debian box for storage and installed debain on the hard drives and even shit like apt upgrade slow the box to a crawl.

Solid state drives are pretty much required nowadays unless you like waiting on disc IO

[spoilers]test[/spoilers]

[spoiler]test[/spoiler]

[spoiler]test[/spoiler]

It's a meme because it's actually a good one.

Now go get one and see the light.

>implying anyone at all calls SSDs a meme
>implying everyone is not trolling everyone else on multiple levels

quality thread you waist of dubs

emma stone

yes

nobody calls SSD a meme take your shitposting elsewhere

>Were

I love this picture because I know a troll, shitpost or just something blatantly silly is about to be said.

she's ugly as fuck

looks retarded

ssd is a meme, nice waste of money you fucking retard

while ssd's are bitchin' and i own three of them, they cost more now than they did over a year ago and won't be cheap enough to replace HDD's until like 2020.

i'm pretty sure it's done intentionally by the HDD makers sandbagging SSD/nand prices. SSD's were getting too cheap too fast so instead of losing their rotating disk game overnight the big HDD makers are gonna slowly change over to SSD manufacturing.

don't be suprised to see WD and Seagate start buying up smaller SSD brands in the next two years if they haven't already, i believe some have already.

Everything is faster because every process touches the drive regularly.

Multitasking on an HDD is painful. All kinds of work that requires I/O will benefit from an SSD. Wanna open up a program while installing something? Enjoy waiting if you don't use an SSD.

take that back right now you faggot

>waste of money

spotted the core 2 duo/1600x900/windows xp fag.

faster boot times + overall faster responsiveness + no chance of data loss from drops or other sudden shocks

literally the only thing worse is that they cost more; ssds are better in every single way

not on topic but why aren't there 3.5" SSDs? bigger footprint allows for more storage space, no?

Because shitposters have long overrun this entire imageboard and there are no real discussions anymore, just people posting bait and retards believing it.

Yes, but they are referring to a drive used as cache not the cache on a drive.

DUMB EMMA CUNT POSTER

>Thats a beatiful woman.
Too bad she has the mind of a retard.

>emma cunt
ftfy

>she's ugly as fuck
AGREED

>speeding up your operating system is a meme
>severely reducing load time for heavy programs is a meme
>accessing big files faster is a meme

Everything is faster
Uses less electricity
More likely to survive a drop

Basically the only advantage HDDs have in 2017 is price/GB.

there's enough space for like a petabyte in a typical 2.5 inch ssd, it's not an issue of space.

it's an issue of ssd memory prices and availability.

as much as i like ann coulter, she's still a fucking coalburner. even if her husband is cool.

why not multiple smaller capacity chips in a bigger space, then?

she's not married. never was and has never had kids.

You mean to tell me that a SSD is faster but damn near same price of a HDD, but it's a retarded purchase? You get proven faster speeds and a good capacity for like 150-200 bucks and you complain?

I though Sup Forums appreciated it when technology advances. I can't believe I've been here long enough to see this Idiocracy.

Faster, less prone to physical failure, more energy efficient, better garbage collection to avoid spying, etc

SO. If i resume correctly SSDs,
-You boot faster so you don't have to wait 2 min at startup, that's good.
-if you kick your drive in the nuts there's a chance it survive. That's also good.
-its quiet, very good when you need a quick nap while installing 3 apps at the same time.

that's how shit works already, you just pay more for the higher capacity.

i mean how do you think we have 64 GB ssd's and 2 TB ssd's in the same form factor? we just cram that shit in there. and it's nowhere near max capacity.

also with time we will get smaller processes/die shrinks/whatever you want to call it in nanometers which means more capacity in same space.

also the whole thing about SLC vs MLC vs TLC where you can use the same x amount of space to store more than 1 bit of data.

think of it like ram sticks, 2 GBB sticks are the same size as 8 GB and 16 GB sticks. space is hardly an issue with computing, though die size limits are somewhat of a thing.

HBM as 3D vs 2D vram is a similar concept. just like with cities, you build upwards when there's not enough ground to build upon. then you go from stairs to elevators to high speed elevators.

If you're still using HDDs at your only form of storage you're just a retard.

I bought a 1TB SSD a couple of years ago and it's one of the best purchase I've ever made. Used it in a laptop and now in a PC. It's built rock solid, is insanely fast, and very easy to install.

Seriously it used to take me 5+ minutes just to boot Windows with an HDD. With a SSD I boot in 10 seconds. On top of this, loading programs like Photoshop and Cubase now takes no time at all and my load times in games are lightning fast.

I have a 2TB HDD sitting around on the shelf but haven't even bothered installing it. The ONLY reason to use a HDD is if you already have a SSD as your main drive and just use the HDD to store a shit ton of movies/data and want a better price.

Does it really use less power? That might be reason enough for me to make the switch.

>The ONLY reason to use a HDD is if you already have a SSD as your main drive and just use the HDD to store a shit ton of movies/data and want a better price.

fair point. the more i know about SSHD's the more i think they're better storage drives even for us hardcore users unless you're RAID'ing, which i find nowadays is more of a commercial interest than autistic desktop user interest.

all of my old 1 and 2 TB drives are filling up so for a hundred bucks i might just go with a seagate 2TB SSHD as a stop gap until 2 TB SSD's come down in price. i'm not a data whore so another 2TB is plenty, though i really wish 4 TB drives had come down in price in recent years.

as for bang/buck the refurb'd 3 TB drives from HGST are hard as fuck to resist for non-critical data. basically 20 bucks a TB. they are all old server drives but as i always say with used computer parts, they proved they worked and that's more than a new part on the shelf ever proved.

>Seriously it used to take me 5+ minutes just to boot Windows with an HDD. With a SSD I boot in 10 seconds.
Seriously i'll never understand this argument.

It used to take me 5+ minutes just to boot windows, me too, and now its like 60 seconds. But i still use an HDD. I wonder what's going on ? Maybe with an SSD it'll take 10 seconds but then i will never have the time to take a piss.

>has an average uptime of 50 hours
What fucking faggot only has an average of 50 hours?

>not using piss bottles

They call it that because they haven't played paradox games like hoi4 or ck2.

But i cant do that, its messy. And then my cat always fucks everything up at the most inapropriate time.

>piss bottles AND cats

every time I think I'm pathetic I remind myself that this fag exists.

HOI4 doesn't take that long to load on my HDD? The only thing paradox games need is a strong processor.

>But i cant do that, its messy.
No, it isn't. Just get a gallon jug with a screw top

You can run one on a USB port without needing a power source like most external HDDs. They are pretty much glorified flash drives, just better in every way.

Because they people are retards.

I find gallons take too long to fill up. I hate removing the cap because my piss starts to smell terrible after an hour.

WD did buy out SanDisk a while ago.

yeah that's what i was thinking, couldn't remember who bought who.

think about it, a spinning drive company buys a non spinning drive company, and surprise! prices for non spinning media go up!

LISSEN UP ppl , OP is WINSTONNE, fagent idient from s4s, demented retart, same shit day in day out, always making same threads always posting ugly red head emma stone, literally does not own a desk and spends the entire day on his old busted ass mattress. spams stupit 'sexy fox', literally CUMS on pictures of the fox from zootopia and posts them, pic related, dont encourage him, treat his dumb ass as the pariah he is, stupit sack of shit, never providing any real commentary or thought, simpleton, a true fucken simpleton, disgusts me. pic related its his sad sacka sh*t battlestation.

steamcommunity.com/id/checkem22/
letterboxd.com/sexyfox/
mobile.twitter.com/Winston_Smith33
youtube.com/channel/UCSR-0t_4Hzj7zNLr_st89FQ

you're wrong

o... oo rly... I guess I never considered whether that pic was a popular meme on Sup Forums.. mm.. mabad...

An SSD is better an a HDD in every way except price.

>everyone

kek

they are better than an hdd in all ways except for price and storage capacity.

Because NVME is 5x faster and only poor people use SSDs now

kek, the autosaves are killer after a few hundred years

>MUH ENVY ME

that's fine for one or two drives but your'e retarded if you spend more than a gpu on ssd's.

with current prices you should just get a 250-500 GB SSD and >wait

or get a job and not be poor

my cpu and gpu's are worth more than yours and i make more money than you do.

yet i don't rub it in to poorfags.

fuck off.

this
my shitty dell inspiron prebuilt has been on for about 30 weeks

SSDs aren't a meme

waste*

i've noticed a performance boost so no they aren't a meme

Don't smell it then. Problem solved. FFS, stop looking for stupid excuses to not but an SSD

So can a 2.5 HDD...

being a poorfag, I appreciate people like you.

>"The OS boots faster on a SSD" is not an use.
Everything loads faster, not just the OS. Rotational Latency is a real thing when you're trying to execute huge programs (photoshop, xcode, etc) in a reasonable amount of time.

i mean i'm poor relative to the standard that Sup Forums has, i can't afford a 1080 and a 7700k and a z270 mobo with a 2 TB ssd and 3000 mhz ddr4 ram.

instead i use top shelf items from 2-4 years ago.

>"The OS boots faster on a SSD" is not an use.
It is a use you faget

>were
They still do. Even a 7200 rpm drive will cause some I/O bottleneck due to rotational latency and seek time.

SSDs solve all these problems.

X220 or T420. X series is a little more recent.

Lol, I have a prebuilt that has a Celeron J1800 and the mobo doesn't even have a slot for a discrete gpu. I barely scrounged enough money to buy half my parts list between textbooks and other college fees.

/thread

rip my sides, 1998-2017

>SPONTANEOUS
>NAND
>FAILURE