Https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B019PCF3QY

smile.amazon.com/dp/B019PCF3QY

I'm in the need of a new wireless router/access point. Would this be a sensible purchase?

My network is providing access to 4 computers + cell phones and other devices, streaming Plex from a media server to some other devices, and gaming computers (likely will be doing power-line adapters instead of relying on WiFi).

Is this a sensible choice, or is it necessary to spring for the "full" version of this Routerboard WAP?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003B48UQ8/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1485040675&sr=8-1&keywords=cisco e3000&condition=used
github.com/tomatofirmware/tomato
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320315
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Accidentally the subject, it's Mikrotik hAP AC Lite RB952Ui-5ac2nD.

Nobody?

I have that exact one. Its pretty good, MikroTik routers have a ton of customization and settings when configuring it through winbox.

The only downside of that exact router is that the ethernet ports are 100mbit but otherwise its excellent as it can provide both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless connectivity

>The only downside of that exact router is that the ethernet ports are 100mbit

The current year
100mbit

It's garbage.

>falling for the router meme

enjoy your botnet

Get one of these.

amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003B48UQ8/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1485040675&sr=8-1&keywords=cisco e3000&condition=used

Get an 8 port Gigabit switch and an access point along with it. Routers are a scam.

retards, retards never change

No I'm not part of this faggot , I was simply saying don't get a router at all. Nobody needs internet. It's botnet. So abandon your plans unless you want botnet.

>not installing open source firmware
>2017

wew

asus rt n66r is the router i use

>tomato
>open source

can you install custom firmware on an ASUS RT56U, and if so what is the benefit

github.com/tomatofirmware/tomato

>Broadcom garbage
A lot of broadcom stuff requires a NAT accelerator to route at line speeds, which FOSS firmwares aren't going to be able to make use of.
If it can't route a gigabit on CPU alone it's trash.

you would have to do some research on your particular model.

But the benefit is having far more control over your router, including features like increasing the wattage of your wifi signal , built in tor, vpns and tons of other crap. but if you dont care about that they tend to be more stable than the standard firmware your router came with.

i know my asus would freeze up or drop connections after a few days , but with this firmware it can be on day after day with no issue

>implying I meant the firmware is botnet

Being connected to the internet means you are part of the botnet.

Those things are complete trash. Had one for years, would never purchase again.

>A portion of the source included is Copyright (C) Keith Moyer. You have permission use and distribute this source on the following conditions:
1. The copyright notices are left on all files on which they are present.
2. Any changes you make to the files with Keith Moyer copyright notices are communicated back to me at [email protected]
3. These conditions are presented to all those who have access to said source code.

You can still view the source code.

you have more autism than those GANOO loonix faggots

Why is the subdomain smile?

Amazon lets you choose a charity that to give money to. Amazon donates to them on your behalf, but you have to use the special domain.

You can do an FCC net neutrality charity

I donate to the EFF

Newegg has a good deal an an Asus RT-AC56R.
$40 after promo code and mail-in rebate with free shipping.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320315

Mikrotik routers are on pair with Cisco.
So don't buy anything else, specially that Asus shit that Sup Forums is recommending. They are simply on different leagues.

Mikrotik has a learning curve. Good luck trying to get any help either.

>The only downside of that exact router is that the ethernet ports are 100mbit
>100mbit
>in (((current year)))
OP needs to stop sucking cocks

Microtik is shit.
- broken openvpn
- broken usb 3g/4g modems support
- no bonjour/zeroconf
- no third party software (tor, shadowsocks)
- no shell (only IOS-like configuration)
- outdated hardware

If you're about to buy a router, make sure it's supported by OpenWRT/DD-WRT/Gargoyle etc.

>100mbit
this

get one with gigabit at least so in case one day you decide to do some intense trafic thing like streaming