/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a Kaby Lake system

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/
>OUTDATED CPU RECOMMENDATIONS (no mention of Kaby Lake)
>Consider substituting an i5 7500 for the i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B150/B250 or H110/H210 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Great" tier build

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-intel-core-i5-7600k-review
www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Turbo_Boost
amfeltec.com/products/pci-express-gen-3-carrier-board-for-4-m-2-ssd-modules/
pcpartpicker.com/list/yBshGf
pcpartpicker.com/list/XnyWyf
forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=305&PID=21812&title=sm951-as-os-boot-device-information#21812
pcpartpicker.com/list/KLC8zM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Kaby Lake has been released! Skylake is depreciated if corresponding chips are similarly priced (e.g., i5 7600K vs i5 6600K)!
>Some motherboards will have a one-click, 5GHz on air OC button that works for 80% of i5 7600Ks
>Z series chipsets have an "Enhanced Turbo" under XMP, which allows all cores to run at the highest single core boost clockspeed (works for Skylake CPUs as well)
>Pentiums now have hyperthreading, and are thus the new default budget / entry level gaming CPUs
>Pentium G4560 is the best price / perf four thread CPU on a modern platform
>All Kaby Lake CPUs work natively with 2400MHz DDR4 memory
>Do not underestimate the impact of fast (>2400, e.g, 3000MHz) RAM in conjunction with a Z series chipset, which often provides as much of a performance boost as a CPU overclock

>tfw 2133 max ram speed plebean

But HGST is WD.

why are the new shitty krabby patties cpus and 270 mobos on the saved part picker list

they're terrible compared to previous gen

not to mention still leaving that shitty logicalincrements site in the OP

Only one worth the while is Pentium G4560, the Skylake i3 at half the price

>they're terrible compared to previous gen
I mentioned last thread i bought a i5 6500 2 weeks ago, and now a realized the 7500 is that same price, did i do good or did i fuck up?

you did fine

the new mobos to compliment them are overpriced

not to mention they heat up hard

Not exactly, it's owned by WD but the manufacturing method is still the same

Literal retard. Kaby Lake is slightly better than Skylake at the same price

It's a little outdated and not perfect, but it still gives users and idea about tiers and upgrades

Not true at all. All Kaby Lake CPUs have native support for 2400MHz RAM for starters. They have higher stock clocks, too

You're fine, only a few percent difference. You should probably flash your BIOS with the Kaby Lake update because you'll have access to a few more features

Nah

>nah

Yes they do shill.

GTFO retard, 80% of i5 7600Ks can easily OC to 5GHz on air.

(Me)
Meant more that they are not really worth upgrading from Skylake to Kaby Lake. For some one that is making their first PC then yeah £30 more at most including motherboard prices might be worth slightly higher clock speed and 2400 ram

>Some motherboards will have a one-click, 5GHz on air OC button that works for 80% of i5 7600Ks
You realise Kaby Lake will go up to 100°C on air @5GHz? Possible problems are unusually high variation in chip quality and shit TIM.
>inb4 only on shit Z170 mobos
Nope, on both Z170 and Z270.

Because OP is a retard, don't buy into it.

>"Enhanced Turbo" under XMP
>Enhanced Turbo
>CPU core
>XMP
Does not compute, GTFO Pajeet shill. You clearly didn't study your own shill materials from Intel. Get it right.

shill

>Kaby Lake is slightly better than Skylake at the same price
Oh my God! 200 more MHz for $50 more! They are not the same price you fuck.

It's never worth upgrading from the last generation, unless some kind of jew magic would happen and they made everything right in the world, it's not worth it ever

Yes, at 100°C before a logical core fails.

bumping question

This entire post is fucking horrible, scrap this

ebay nigger

Incorrect
Works on Skylake as well.
If you knew anything about boost states you'd understand, but you're too stupid unfortunately

But they are the same price, retard.

(You)

>XMP
www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html
>Extreme MEMORY Profile
You're so fucking retarded that it's adorable. XMP profiles have nothing to do with the CPU itself and everything to do with the adjusted frequency of the MEMORY controller.
CPU core frequencies and Turbo clock adjustments are under a completely different system that has jack squat to do with the memory controller or XMP.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Turbo_Boost

Hang yourself, you dumb little shill.

I bought a freesync 75hz monitor and a RX470. What settings should I use for games?

Do I leave vsync on, off, or cap fps to 75?

even in my shithole they cost the same, in some cases even cheaper by a euro or two, in some cases literally the same to the cent and the most extreme I've seen, 5 euro more expensive, fuck off

fucking chinks

Do any of you know if there is a better option than these amfeltec.com/products/pci-express-gen-3-carrier-board-for-4-m-2-ssd-modules/ for maximizing the potential of one 16x pci-e lane and the newer m2 nvme SSDs?

I was thinking I could get one and add drives over time while maintaining warranties on all the individual components.

Thoughts on the sentry ITX case?

In USA, going for a gaming build with a budget of $3,000. The aim is 1440p/144hz. I'd appreciate any tips toward improvement of quality build, and balance of parts or optimization. Will it last for a few years, with room to upgrade gpu, cpu, and ram, and still remain balanced?

pcpartpicker.com/list/yBshGf

Dell has one that blows a fan across all of the M.2 drives and is a PCIe x16 like the one in your link
too bad it's OEM only

>15 CAS RAM
pfft

I queued this motherboard since a year,
and thinking to buy one now but I hesitate because not sure and can't find if any newer has supered it yet.

trash ssd with that budget, get a 960 pro or whatever the best samsung is now, with PCI not SATA interface, they're like 6 times faster, if not more
If you don't plan to SLI and even if you do, might as well go mATX and mATX case
shit mouse, look at newer Logitech if you want Logitech
your budget would allow to go 1080/1080Ti, unless you plan to upgrade in 2 years, when nvidia finally decides to put proper vulkan and dx12 support

also you're buying 4 fans, one of which not in bundle, while in bundle they're basically 3 for 2, do you really need 4 over 3 then ?

Kind of an OCDP thing that kicked in.

How am i doin Sup Forums?
>450 watt psu

How does the RX470 compare to the 480 with both having 4GB of VRAM?

I'm looking for 1440p gaming performance. They'll be replacing crossfired 7770s. I'm currently using a 1680x1050 setup but am upgrading by the end of the year.

If you're going to use M2 drives via PCI-E, that card looks to be the best option.

I think the 480 would be close to decent 1440p after settings are tweaked, but the 470 may be pushing it a little. Unless you got a deal on a freesync monitor (and there are plenty out there), save up a little for a 1070, but really go with freesync.

I'm not going Nvidia because of their business practices.

If you want 1440p 144hz get a 1080. Ditch the hdd and get a samsung evo ssd of some sort. IMO ditch the thermaltake AIO and get an NZXT Kraken. I have one and like it, and NZXT's accompanying software is easy to use and works well. If you want you can even get their fan controller and led controller and rgb led fans, all of which work through the same software.

Ignore don't get a samsung pro ssd because you aren't constantly writing data to it. Also don't get a PCIe or NVMe or M.2 because for gaming you don't really need the minimal performance gains from a SATA ssd. A SATA ssd is all you need for gaming, as you should be focusing most of your money on your GPU and monitor. Also ignore him and get a regular sized ATX mobo. I have an MSI mobo as well and it didn't come with as many internal usb connectors as I'd liked so I had to get some expansions for my fan controller because the AIO and front I/O took up the measly two that were on offer.

tl;dr looks solid overall, ditch hdd completely and replace with high capacity ssd and replace 1070 with 1080

>I'm not going Nvidia because of their business practices

lol people on four channel are the most entitled people on the internet. AMD is to blame for them being btfo by NVIDIA as of late. I miss the radeon days. If you want 1440p performance from AMD you will have to wait for Vega, as at least one of the cards will be along the lines of the r9 Fury. The rx480 is not a 1440p card by any means, unless you will settle for meh settings and meh framerates. Don't kid yourself

>Refusing to support an actively anti-consumer company
>Entitled
SLURP SLURP SLURP

Then go with a fury x or wait for vega on a 480 8gb

>Wait for Vega
That was my original plan before one of my two 7770s finally kicked it. How much longer until Vega? I guess I can play shittier games until it comes out if it's soon

>he doesn't know that Enhanced Turbo is a checkbox inside XMP.
Literal retard

>'Enhanced Turbo' is part and parcel of XMP memory overclocking on all enthusiast boards these days.

>still nothing new on AM4 itx boards

FUCK YOU AMD I'M TIRED OF WAITING

I mean, it could be a while, if you find a good deal on a fury x then you shouldn't be afraid to pick it up.

Vsync off, FPS cap to just under 75

Might want a higher wattage PSU if you ever plan to mGPU. Probably unnecessary for 1440p going forward.

Don't buy now, retard. Also don't CF. You'll either want AMD's Vega or Nvidia's Pascal refresh. When you buy your monitor, get either freesync or gsync

upsidedown / 10

>eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-intel-core-i5-7600k-review
XMP and Enhanced Turbo are NOT a part of each other, but a part of a larger suite within the chipset. They're either as retarded as you are or chose their wording poorly.
You're still a massive retard, though.

Looked for a Fury deal, but Canadian pricing is prohibitive. Even an RX480 starts near the $300 mark. Budget is around $350 after shipping and tax.

For the record, I'm already running a crossfire setup, the new GPU would be replacing both existing cards.

Okay, now I get what they're saying and I'm still right. They just worded it terribly because the writer probably doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about either.
XMP is NOT AT ALL related to ANY part of the Turbo feature (if it were, then that would be a serious flaw in the CPU's design), but if the CPU detects that XMP is enabled, it ALSO engages the automatic CPU clock adjustment that they're calling "enhanced turbo". The memory controller has nothing to do with changing the CPU's core and BCLK multipliers, but the CPU does it all automatically for "convenience".
You're still a massive fucking wanker for thinking that a feature tied to the memory bus and controller had anything to do with a CPU's core multipliers.

pcpartpicker.com/list/XnyWyf

is this a good build?

A couple of follow up questions around this if anyone with more experience or insight can help, as these boards are very expensive and good info can be hard to find:

Is there any sort of standard binding four lane PCI-e 3.0 + NVME? As in, will this be the way these drives are released and produced in the new few years, or might we see M2 drives adding more than four PCIe lanes to utilize higher bandwidth and making older carriers obsolete? It does seem as though the samsung 960 pro drives are pushing the limit of what 4x PCIe 3.0 can accomplish.

Also, I haven't looked into RAID in a very long time, but would software RAID be capable of dealing with the throughput of several high speed SSDs like this in a configuration like RAID 0? Is this dependant on the board's PCIe switch or what?

>look mom, i posted it again, mom, attention please, MOM !!!!111

>/vgcag/

Is this any good? Is there anything I could improve or change for a similar price or lower?

What is the go-to 512gb ssd these days? Budget isn't much of an issue outside of extremely costly ones (y halo thar Intel). Looking for some pointers for my own research in anticipation of an upcoming zen build.

>1060

You chose...poorly.

No, it's shit, do more research.

How so?

Care to expand on that?

You need B250, H210, or Z270 mobo
Only way you can fully use that 3000MHz RAM is with a Z270

Personally I'd say the 480GB "budget" SSDs are plenty. Either PNY or OCZ

>do more research.

>How so?

Generally speaking the 480 is the faster card these days (though not by much) and the extra 2gb vram never hurt.

They are neck and neck. The aftermarket 8GB 480 is likely more expensive than the aftermarket 6GB 1060

Thank you for my (you)

What is the best AM3+ CPU under $200? Under $100?

source

*best for per clock performance

Really don't know why you're asking this. If you're buying used, you might consider and FX8350 because it's the one of the highest clocked (for the single core perf) without being retardedly hot.

If you buy a new AM3+ mobo + CPU + DDR fucking 3 you have only yourself to blame

Im trying to upgrade an old prebuilt, all I need is a PSU and a CPU

There is nothing wrong with DDR3

you want an 8350 for 149

what's the best GPU option for this?

this is the kind of mentality that needs to gtfo of /pcbg/

we all build computers for different reasons, some of us are re-using parts given to us and some are working off a clean slate.

you'd want a 1070 or a 980ti. you'd be able to run pretty much anything in 1080p at 60fps, even more for several games. but if you're not trying to break the bank, 1060 or 1050ti

thanks

>If you buy a new AM3+ mobo + CPU + DDR fucking 3 you have only yourself to blame

I'm still using my i7 2600k but i want to build a amd machine next eventually but after browsing this general for a while you guys make it sound like that's a retarded idea

>There is nothing wrong with DDR3
There is if you're buying it with a new system

Come back when you've learned to take a screenshot

Are you illiterate? I answered his question and told him that buying the AM3+ platform NEW is stupid, which it is.

All your posts are moronic, right down to your broken shift key

Fortunately Zen will be here soon.

Mellanox ConnectX-2
$20 on ebay

some of us aren't so privileged as to have a shift key. and you're still a douchebag

all the AMD cpu's are a few years old, and in today's tech market that's like dog years. i have a buddy who has an 8350 with gtx1080 that can run battlefield 1 at 50-60fps but the CPU does limit his graphics card.

so if you want to go AMD, you're basically building a machine that is 3-5 years old. there's a reason all of these builds incorporate intel CPUs

putting this together next week.

going for 1440p gaming and 80-100fps with maximum usability.

also, is it worth it to stack fans on a liquid cooler (fan on inside and outside)

All comments welcome. Already have a PSU.

ill sell you all of that same ram in 4x4gb for $80 brand new

but otherwise, your build is pretty solid. IMHO case is too big for one 1060 but if you wanted to run SLI at some point then you have some room to grow. and a 1060 in sli outperforms a 1080

I would recommend getting a larger SSD and maybe faster RAM.

do you think with 4 fans would be good enough to o/c the motherboard?

Drop to i5 7600K
Drop to 1070
Get 3000MHz RAM
240GB SSD

Get i5 7600K
Z270 mobo
3000MHz RAM

Jesus, it's like you people don't even fucking read the OP

>720p @60hz

are you trolling?

Unless you plan on getting a 1440p monitor don't get a 980ti or 1070 good lord. Get an rx470. It is more than enough at that resolution on your speccy. Hell, intel hd graphics might cut it

it is not worth stacking fans unless you really, really fucking want to. just make sure the fans push air through the radiator
just do your cable management and get rid of unnecessary drive cages and 4 fans is plenty. not sure why or what there is to oc on the mobo though

>16gb of ram
>skylake i5

and you recommend a low tier card? a 1070 would be awesome with that.

>drop
>drop
>3000mhz ram
>bigger SSD

so basically you're saying i should drop two great parts and then o/c the shit out of my mobo and upload it all to an SSD

actually i'm steering towards the crucial 1.1tb m.2 for that wire management.

sorry, I'm not using that display, planning on gaming 1080p @60Hz

the motherboard only runs 2400 without an overclock.

but i've already gotten rid of my drive cages besides the SSD and basement HDDs, so there should be a good bit of airflow

Hey guys, I ended up digging up info to answer my second question myself so I'll post it here for anyone who was considering using multiple nvme SSDs over PCIe.

If you're going to use M.2 SSDs through PCIe and you want to use RAID, you can use software RAID, but I don't know if any software RAID supports TRIM. If your motherboard chipset has PCIe lanes and "intel rapid storage technology" a hardware RAID mode is available with TRIM support, but the SSDs you use have to be on PCIe lanes that go through the chipset, otherwise you're forced to use software RAID. Pic related.

However, it looks like NVMe RAID under IRST might still be buggy, or even limited by the hardware in the case of faster NVMe drives. From a mod on the asrock forums:
>forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=305&PID=21812&title=sm951-as-os-boot-device-information#21812
>You can see the Intel RAID software, or possibly the limitation of the chipset, hits a wall at ~3.5GB/s for the large file sequential read speed. So we get virtually no RAID 0 scaling of performance with a SSD that is already at 3GB/s+ read speed.
>WARNING!!! You MUST, MUST have at least one SATA drive connected to one of the available SATA ports BEFORE you attempt to install the IRST Windows software. If you don't the installation will freeze about 2/3 of the way through it, and if it does complete, it will say an unknown error occurred. The IRST Windows program will NOT run in that situation. You can't fix it by adding a SATA drive after the fact. At least it never worked for me.

tl;dr: newer intel chipsets have hardware RAID that works for nvme drives that pass through the chipset, but it's new and potentially buggy.

>1280x720
>needing a 1070

do you hate money? rx480 is mid teir and 1070 is just too much for 1080p 60hz
then get an rx480, much better performance per dollar at 1080p 60hz. if you want some 144hz buttery smoothness or 1440p then get a 1070, otherwise not worth the money as it is about $150 more or so than the rx480 on amazon
so you're ocing the ram?

What would a make a cheap htpc? I was thinking of making a build with the new pentium, a cheap motherboard, using integrated graphics, and how much ram should I get?(I don't plan on using the pc for gaming just as a media center/ htpc for media.) Can this be done between $250-$400?

pcpartpicker.com/list/KLC8zM

I have everything here except the SSD. a 960 Evo 500GB will eventually make its way to me, but the wait is killing me.

Have any of you used the MyDigitalSSD BPX 480GB drive?
Is it worth getting, or should I just wait for the more expensive 960 Evo?