/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QPXiOirncTA
amazon.com/LyxPro-HAS-30-Headphones-Professional-Entertainment/dp/B018Y5CVO0
amazon.com/Yenona-Adapter-free-Headphones-Monitoring-Isolation/dp/B01B2L6Z54/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
youtube.com/watch?v=DXafRKe9klA
machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm
amazon.co.uk/Superlux-HD-662-Closed-Studio-Headphones/dp/B007IV7OBM
ebay.com/itm/Superlux-HD662EVO-Closed-back-Monitoring-Headphones-with-Self-adjusting-Headband-/291913732961?var=&hash=item43f76a1361
amazon.co.uk/Monoprice-Premium-Hi-Fi-Style-Headphone/dp/B007SP2CO2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485106521&sr=8-1&keywords=Monoprice 8323
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Maybe since this is at the top now I'll get some diverse feedback
Bought a pair of t1 teslas (technically didn't buy them)
For some reason though my old dt990 pro 250 ohm sound better than these. Do I just need to burn them in? I've been using them for tow days

>Do I just need to burn them in?
see the picture in

are you a girl?

So.... Sennheiser HD 599 are out. Price is higher than 598. How good are they?

What's the latest /hpg/ memes?

I haven't been around often.

Still sporting the ultimate meme HD600 + O2 + ODAC combo.

Everybody owns the DT770 and there is a lot of v-shaped lovers nowadays

Sup breh

Still /hpg/ related a bit. How do tape-to-tape players supposed to have best sound if their speakers aren't that great?

they are shit

Recommend headphones for less than $80 that are neutral in sound and are good for apple products like iphones and ipads as well as my pc audio port.

you base this one what? your irrational hate for Sennheiser?

Why?

I highly doubt they're anything more than a very slight sound improvement. 598's will be a lot better value.

/r/ing webm of the guy listening to those $16,000 headphones and crying

youtube.com/watch?v=QPXiOirncTA
he looks like wax figure melting

FAKE

Budget: 100$
Source: Bluetooth
Type: full sized
Closed
I prefer comfortable headphones over sound quality. I also need them to have a mic. Any advice would be great.

So should I get the Fidelio X2 or the HD 600? which are considered all around the best?

LMAO... you might as well ask for a bucket of gold for $100.

Double the price for Bluetooth.

My 681 Evo's died on me, and while the senn558's are godly for $100, I miss having bass, and i want something to use in public.

I found 2 chinese pairs that are closed back with decent sound stage, have strong bass without fucking over the mids/highs, sound that might exceed the price point, and are hella comfy for the price.

Can i get some insight on which would probably sound better and which would have more sound stage?

amazon.com/LyxPro-HAS-30-Headphones-Professional-Entertainment/dp/B018Y5CVO0
amazon.com/Yenona-Adapter-free-Headphones-Monitoring-Isolation/dp/B01B2L6Z54/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

X2 for music, movies, games, etc

The HD 600 is a boring reference headphone with no life to them.

They are so different it's not even apples and oranges. Go audition them in a shop faggot, that's literally the only way to know for sure if you will like a headphone or not. That said, HD600 being more neutral are better all rounders since X2 bass gets in a way all the time and some songs sound very muddy especially vocals. HD600 are sensitive, so as long as you are not using your mobile phone they will be loud enough but you do need an amp to make them sound at their full potential, where X2 as far as I know don't really change that much with an amp.

>HD600 being more neutral are better all rounders

The 600 isn't good for any genre of music, except for maybe Jazz and Classical. It's so dull, the 650 and X2 are better choices.

I assume he means buying an irrational amount of pricey items of which you can only use one at a time. See: girls & shoes. Sure, they might be for different occasions, but the sheer amount of them is high levels of stupid.

Budget: $150
Over ear if possible
Open
I prefer music like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=DXafRKe9klA

X2 are somewhat V shaped and have a boomy bass, less than X1 tho, so when it comes to vocals or bass not getting in the way of a song X2 loses to HD600 while HD600 have nothing that will come in a way of you listening any song. It might not have the same amount of bass as X2 for some rap, but you can listen to rock or electronic music no problems with HD600 while still enjoying vocals, jazz, classical and all kind of music. X2 ARE more fun, I am not gonna argue with that, they have an abnormous soundstage, not as precise and HD600 tho.

are the Philips SHP9500 similar to the x2?

Maybe build and aesthetics, but otherwise theyre pretty much opposites.

SHP9500's are neutral-bright ish, with quite grainy highs

X2's are quite dark

which one has a good amount of bass,and how do they compare to the hd 558?

No idea, when I was choosing my headphone I basically tried X2, Beyers dt880 and HD600. Seriously, if you make a list of headphones that you will potentially get and go and audition them. Many people recommended me X2 but I turned them away instantly. I am not saying X2 are bad, but they wasn't my cup of tea but my sound signature isn't what people usually would go for with juice in the bass and highs aka V shaped.

Shitty ass ATH-MSR7BK's broke due to shitty wiring in the jack port. Tried to repair it and the fucking jack port fell to pieces.

Think I'm just going to get open-back headphones from now on. These things constantly fucking break on me.

Any recommendation for a pair of ear buds with a mic and volume control?
I just broke my MEElectronics m9p-bk today and need something under $35 with decent isolation. I don't care about bass as they're mostly used for listening to podcasts and audiobooks while I work.
Kinda curious about bluetooth stuff as I fucked up my current pair my catching the cable on something, but I think I'd prefer staying with the 3.5mm connector unless I hear some seriously good stuff about it.

thanks for any assistance you have.

>Look at DT770s
>32 ohm is like half the price than 250

I assume there's a reason for this?

Anyone know of a good online store in Australia to buy HD 558's? I can't seem to find any store that list them except things like wireless1 but they don't seem very trustworthy.

>Budget
Small, 10-20$.
>Location
Bulgaria, so that's a lot to consider since shipping prices are a ton if you want to buy cheap headphones.
>Source
Laptop.
>Type of headphone
Full-sized.
>Open or closed
I prefer closed, but I can do open too if there's a better option of open. So either.
>Comfort level
I would accept less comfortable ones.

Most importantly what I want is durability since I always fuck my cable, my last ones lasted for more than half an year which was great considering; I thought of buying headphones with replaceable cables (because that's what fucks mine most of the time and I can't be bothered to fix 10-20$ headphones). I'd also prefer if there was a mic, but if there aren't any good ones with one then that's also fine too and I can accept some without one.

Minidisc and Addicted to Audio are the go to places for headphone purchases in Australia.

No. SHP9500 are more akin to an even more open Sennheiser HD598. X2's are practically what Beats should have been in the first place.
By that comparison, X2's stomp the 9500 and the hd558 (they already stomp the 598).

just buy the amazon headphones

What? Reel to reel tapes is the highest quality analog audio storage format. Whatever equipment comes after the tape is not related to it. You can use any kind of loudspeakers or amplifiers you want.

money spent on headphones +++
audio knowledge gained ---

SHP9500

>Budget
60€ (prefer amazon)
>Location
France
>Source
PC/PS4
>Type of headphone
full-sized
>Open or closed
close with good isolation
>Comfort level
comfy as heck
>Sound signature
warm
>Past headphones
Superlux HD681
>Extra
Able to set my track clip on it

Im the audio static user, how can you still help me?

Also I did burnout for like 40 minutes or 2 hours on a low impedance headphone, this is the cause for the whitenoise that I have? my es10 aren't so white noisy as WS1100is. Also es10 ohm output is at least 46-60

>I did burnout for like 40 minutes or 2 hours on a low impedance headphone
>mfw you stuck your headphones under your car tires and did a burnout on them

So fuck impedance and fuck this shit methodm Fuck companies and fuck audiophilling

and fuck you

fuck you for not understanding

I understand pretty well

I ruined my headphones like the other ones

I'm irrsponsible little shit, just kill me

No, it really doesn't sound like you understand anything.

White noise is not caused by your headphones but more sensitive headphones can make it more audible. Headphones, just like cables, are passive components and will not create noise on their own.

You really just need to stop paying attention to the impedance as that is definitely something you don't understand and isn't important here.

Burn in is useless, playing content too loud through your headphones over their thermal limits can break them but at this point they will be so insanely loud that you would have likely backed out on volume long ago.

>and will not create noise on their own.
well, if you have bad ones they can creak pretty loudly

you have to buy these and put them ontop of your origen+
machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

OH I see, I was just misinformed a about it. I'm still experiencing the white noise though

Thank you for not given up on me

Im still working on the perfectest audio experience

I will do my best!

WAT

>tfw bought dt1770pro in Amazon for $600 yesterday and now they changed the price to 430

cancel and rebuy.
or if it shipped, buy a second. return the first.

ezpz lemon squeezy for $170 in savings.

Hey are bose qc25worth?

You know what? tell me everything about audio equipment smf converters and things that I can connect to my pc

I will go on board next year when I have a lot of budget

They changed the price right after the shipment... now I have to wait for the package and throw it back to ups again
Will it be the same if I use the first one and return the second $400 one that arrives later?

Origen+ vs Fulla 2 vs Dragonfly?

the only thing that would matter is if the cans/boxes have a serial #'s recorded.

but fuck if i know. ask customer service.

bump

takstar

That's not noise.

Never ever Dragonfly.

Origen if you need the SPDIF input.

Fulla 2 if you don't need that and want the highest quality device.

Minidisc, Jaben, Addicted to Audio, Store DJ

Addicted will probably be the cheapest. Although take a look at shipping from US amazon. It'll often still end up cheaper. eBay also sometimes sells 558/598's pretty cheaply. eBay has good customer support and will refund fake shit as long as you prove it, which shouldn't be hard.

>Never ever Dragonfly.
Can I ask why? Other than the form factor being potentially suspect to breaking.

Any recommended dacs for

If you need ANC, sure. Otherwise, no.

DAC only? Modi2

Alright then, Fulla vs Fulla 2? Is the $40 extra worth the cost?

Is /hpg/ can help total noob?
I'm reading wiki
But i confusing with 'Ohm' part.

>>Past headphones
>Superlux HD681
are they good?

What is confusing about it?

>Budget
£60
>Location
UK
>Source
Plugging in to computer
>Type
Full size
>Open or closed
Closed headphones definitely
>Comfort level
Ehh as long as it doesnt hurt my skull/ears im fine
>Past headphones
Shitty fucking gayming hyperx cloud cancerous shit and before that it was some other gayming turtle beaches. Im not falling for the gaymen pro headphones meme again

Budget: 300$ +-
Source: Iphone
Type of headphone: Full, kinda portable
Open or closed: Closed
Comfort level: High
Past headphones: Koss portapro (I often damage the cable so the life time warranty is really good) & AKG 518 (decent sound for the money but not that comfortable)

>Improved damping factor is also often associated with high impedance headphones but it's effects is minimal if not unnoticeable when using an amp with near zero output impedance. However when amps with very high output impedance is involved high impedance headphones will fair better than their lower impedance counter parts.

what is actual affects on sound?

Superlux 662EVO and you can invest the rest of the money on a cheap mic like the zalman one.

AKG K550, Senn Momentum, Beoplay H6 2nd gen.

>Budget
$50-$60
>Location
USA
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
Over the ear
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Comfy for long listening sessions
>Sound signature
Neutral preferred.

>Shitty fucking gayming hyperx cloud cancerous shit
they're about the best thing you can get in that range for closed but maybe you don't want v shaped

Philips SHP9500

what's wrong with the chink sony mdr 7506?

I run a fair amount and was looking for earbuds that don't isolate my ears from the outside. The only suitable ones I've found for this are Apple Earpods but they are very uncomfortable. Does anyone know of an earbud that allows a large amount of sound into my ear while also being comfortable? If not at the very least some mod to make wearing the earpods comfortable.

I recently got an Audigy FX soundcard as a gift and I'd like to get pair of headphones to replace my HD668B after fixing its wire three times. They're pretty much perfect for my use but I guess I could use an upgrade to go with this soundcard (if is mine any good at all). I'll use them for games (CS:GO mostly) and to casually listen to music or watch videos.

Budget:

Is it these?

amazon.co.uk/Superlux-HD-662-Closed-Studio-Headphones/dp/B007IV7OBM

Any microphone recommendations too?

And do those superlux headphones block out sound from external sources

No, it's these ebay.com/itm/Superlux-HD662EVO-Closed-back-Monitoring-Headphones-with-Self-adjusting-Headband-/291913732961?var=&hash=item43f76a1361

Personally recommend antlion modmic but that might be too much considering your budget. Just go for the zalman zm-mic1. They're good enough for in-game/discord/teamspeak/etc.

Yes.

Is there anything cheaper but still good like a vmoda boompro? 40€ for a mic seems too much

Thanks, anyone else able to vouch for those headphones?

Fuck I forgot to add about Are the audio technica ath-m20x from the Sup Forums wiki pastebin as good as the hd662 evo someones recommending? I was looking at those originally too

Nevermind, those arent one day delivery

So can anyone comment on the build quality of Xiaomi shit?
I want to get the hybrid pro hd but if they're chink shit that break in three months I'd rather get something more expensive like the MA750

you're not going to get anything better for closed at that price point.
maybe go ask /csg/
m20x are ass and uncomfortable as fuck. only thing they good at is feeling durable.

Mdr 1A
m20x are very very uncomfortable, you have to buy aftermarket pads

I'm using xiomi ones and it's durable than 10usd convinient store shit.

How about the m30x

don't do m20x and m30x. they're shit and not worth the hassle with the extra pads. also, the entire M series have flaking headbands and i haven't found actual replacements for them yet.

Do you know anything else then preferably around that price range

What are you looking for

Something good, prefferably comfy, £40, and available for next day delivery which theres only an hour left to do reeeee

monoprice 8323, tascam th-02. you don't have a lot of choices for good comfy pairs, especially if you need them by tomorrow. all the good budget ones come from china like the superluxs.

Btw are you sure the ATH M20X is that bad? Im not too picky about headphones and a friend of mine had some headphones by them and said theyre good.

Idk about that tascam one

Also, is this the monoprice 8323?

amazon.co.uk/Monoprice-Premium-Hi-Fi-Style-Headphone/dp/B007SP2CO2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485106521&sr=8-1&keywords=Monoprice 8323