Old people and computers

My father uses a flashlight and magnifying glass to look at different things on the monitor.

Pic unrelated

My dad keeps everything in C:\. He's an old mainframe hand and never really warmed to this "subdirectory" nonsense.

I help my grandmother and a few of her friends use computers and they hate the way hotmail, facebook, gmail, skype, and whatsup keep changing their interface.

Aging brings problems with vision and fine motor control that makes smartphones nearly impossible to use. Try having to read a smartphone screen from 2-3 feet away. Put on a pair of gloves to similar arthritis and try answering or making a call.

My mom works at a retirement community and they have no tech support for the residents, so I offer to fix stuff and assist with using computers for half of what geek squad charges. All very nice people, many more competent than you'd think. Most just need help with simple email questions or their printer stopped working or they have pop-ups or their computer is too slow

Sometimes I have to sit with them and explain things to them step by step for a couple hours but they're always grateful. Sometimes I feel like I'm ripping them off charging$75 for using free tools and installing drivers or whatever but somebody else would be ripping them even harder, or their kids would be stuck on the phone for half a day trying to solve their problems for them

Feels good

I overheard a conversation between two old ladies about how Windows 7 was superior to Windows 10 because it had fewer running background processes. Even the normiest normies know.

only poorfags care....

I keep everything on C:, and so do people that i installed windows for. There is literally no reason not to.

3.1 has even less

can we just kill this degenerate meme already? W10 is superior to W8 which is superior to W7, in every meaningful way.

>W10 is superior
NIGGA

3.1 is superior than EVERYTHING ELSE,even than 10. Go figure,you fat ass Archfag.

My father uses freebsd and hosts his own email server.

He also has a degree in CS and is making lots of money.

I even borrowed his edition of "the C programming langage" for my university course.

And Linux is superior to all you fanboy's winblow$.

My dad started programmed pascal in the 70s so he thinks all programming languages that aren't pascal are garbage and prone to errors.

objective pascal and delphi are still more popular than total meme languages like rust or go

>tfw I use a CRT monitor with a win10 computer.

My dad uses linux mint

I told him about linux 7 or 8 years ago, how to install it, and how it doesn't need antivirus. Now he'll try a new distro every few months and knows more about than i do....He even did an arch install for "fun" a few weeks ago

Am I gonna be like that when I retire?

>Try having to read a smartphone screen from 2-3 feet away.
who the fuck does this? not even my desktop screens are so far away

Sorry to hear you are of inferior genetic stock :(

I work on IBM mainframes
I know exactly what you talk about
did he ever talk to you about HLQ as directory analogy?

Enjoy having to retrieve important files first when windows fucks itself and you need to reformat the partition

>Am I gonna be like that when I retire?
You're probably going to be a complete carrot with all the chemicals you've been digesting your whole life.

My dad is too afraid to do anything requiring administrative rights on his computer. Or copying files.

He basically just uses it for basic photo editing, remoting into work, and browsing the internet. Yet he insisted on an i7 3770k and a 7970.

the i7 cpu I can somewhat understand
but why the relatively powerful gpu?
video editing maybe?

>who the fuck does this
Older people whose near-sighted vision sucks, so they have to start holding things farther away to get a clear focus on reading material (newspaper, labels, phone screens), but then when it gets the proper distance to be in focus, it is often a bit small to read.

Literally nothing. He doesn't game, edit video, 3D render, nothing that would use the GPU in any way. He thinks that spending more money on a computer makes it "futureproof" even if you don't require the best specs.

>he doesn't take nightly redundant full scan backups

Jesus christ user get your poor father a better fucking monitor for christ's sake

My dad's 75 and writes websites.

He pioneered distance learning when online classes was just a bbs, and gave lectures across the eastern part of the us about furthering online education until he retired, though.

My mom had me replace her hard drive for an ssd on her daily driver because it was getting to slow for her. It was her idea.

My 88 year old grandma made sure i was aware of the new wireless password the last time I came over.

I think my family's ok.

Can you fill us in on this mindset? I'm really curious.

jesus fucking christ, your grandma had your dad at a young age

unless of course it's your maternal grandmother.

Oh, grandma's on my mother's side. My father's mother lived to be over 100. My mother and father are over 10 years apart as well.

grandmother has a very slow ass fucking computer used for emailing her sisters in germany. she always asks why it takes so long to load gmail, if it "needs to warm up" before use.

My dad is a netadmin. He says ms exchange is the best mail server.