github.com/occivink/mpv-scripts
github.com/occivink/mpv-scripts#drag-to-panlua
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/a049a32/stream/stream_file.c#L173
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/User-Scripts#pixel-shaders
mpv.srsfckn.biz/mpv-x86_64-20161120.7z
madshi.net
haasn.xyz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I am completely new to mpv and have no idea if this is good. I'm just testing different things right now to see if I drop frames. Suggest improvements. I have an Nvidia 970 GTX.

############################
# Quality related settings #
############################

# Backend related settings
vo=opengl
profile=opengl-hq
opengl-backend=angle

# High-quality scale settings, can be disabled for performance
# scale=ewa_lanczossharp
# cscale=ewa_lanczossoft

# Color correction related
target-prim=bt.709
target-trc=bt.1886
gamma-auto
icc-profile-auto

# Misc
blend-subtitles=yes

###########
# Testing #
###########

# >Insane performance preset
scale=ewa_lanczossharp:cscale=ewa_lanczossoft:prescale-luma=nnedi3:nnedi3-neurons=64:prescale-downscaling-threshold=1.5

# >Highest performance preset
# scale=ewa_lanczossharp:cscale=ewa_lanczossoft:prescale-luma=superxbr:prescale-downscaling-threshold=1.5

# >High performance preset
# scale=ewa_lanczossharp:cscale=ewa_lanczossoft

# Make video run synchronously to the display FPS
video-sync=display-resample

# After playback
keep-open=yes

#########################################
# Misc settings, not related to quality #
#########################################

# OSD settings
osd-font="Source Sans Pro"
osd-level=3
osd-status-msg='(${percent-pos}%) ${time-pos} / ${duration}\n${?chapter:Chapter: ${chapter}}\n${?vo-drop-frame-count:Frames Dropped: ${vo-drop-frame-count}'

# Reduce default OSD size, the defaults are too big.
osd-font-size=20

# Default sub/audio lang.
slang=enUS,en,eng,ptBR,pt
alang=jp,jpn,enUS,en,eng,ptBR,pt

# Enable exclusive mode from WASAPI. By definition prevents sound playback of any other program.
# until mpv exits.
ao=wasapi:exclusive

# For mintty, \r support seems broken.
quiet

Been experimenting a bit, not sure how much is redundant or whatever. Works well enough for me.

# Video settings
profile=opengl-hq
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
csale=ewa_lanczossharp
framedrop=vo
hwdec=no

# Audio settings
ao=alsa
audio-channels=stereo
softvol-max=300

# Language settings
alang=eng, en
slang=eng, en

# OSC settings
no-osc

# Screenshot settings
screenshot-format=jpg
screenshot-jpeg-quality=100
screenshot-jpeg-source-chroma=yes
screenshot-tag-colorspace=yes
screenshot-high-bit-depth=yes
screenshot-directory=~/Pictures/mpv screens/
screenshot-template=~/Pictures/mpv screens/%F - %p

# Window settings
keep-open=yes
force-window=yes
autofit-larger=90%x90%
autofit-smaller=500x500
geometry=50%:50%

# Miscellaneous settings
ytdl=yes
ytdl-format=bestvideo[vcodec=vp9][tbr

Is using anything other than defaults really more than just a placebo?

Setting opengl-hq will certainly help, scalers only if you're not watching the video at the native res (and even then there's a lot of personal preference, and the rest is mostly just customization.

Where do you want screenshots to go? What language do you want to listen in? What language do you want subtitles to be? Do you want on screen controls? How would you like those to look? Do you want youtube-dl integration for watching a lot of online content in mpv instead of shitty web players?

>needing online help to run a video player
You really don't belong here.

>youtube-dl integration

Woah, this sounds useful for making webms. Hook a G up?

How you set that up will depend on your operating system, on Linux as long as you have youtube-dl installed and you've got ytdl=yes in your config you can just type mpv into terminal at any given time.

On Windows I think you still have to have ytdl=yes in your config, then you put the youtube-dl file in the same directory as your mpv executable. You'll then either need to change directory to this install location to issue the mpv command or make some sort of bash script.

Alternatively for launching, you can install a Firefox extension called "Open With" and set it up to point to your mpv and you can right click on any link or web page and just choose "open with mpv" and it'll pop open. Sadly I don't think a Chrome alternative exists. Good luck.

>Windows
>bash script
Just add the MPV directory to %PATH% and you're good to go. You don't need to have current directory be the install directory for youtube-dl to work with the Windows build of MPV. Additionally, if you start MPV from the Start menu, you get a little window that says "Drag file here to play" or whatever. You can drag a YouTube link into that window right from your browser's address bar, and it will play that.

>opengl-backend=angle

wtf does that do?

># Color correction related
target-prim=bt.709
target-trc=bt.1886
why are you color-correcting every video by default?

I meant batch, my bad. I also didn't know that. I'm not much of a Windows user these days, haha.

Experimenting video settings
################
# Video Output #
################

profile=opengl-hq
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
opengl-shaders="~~/shaders/KrigBilateral.glsl,~~/shaders/nnedi3-nns64-win8x4-all.hook,~~~~/shaders/adaptive-sharpen-2pass.glsl,~~/shaders/SSimSuperRes.glsl"

What config would /mpv/ recommend for an Ivy Bridge laptop with HD4000?

Just profile=opengl-hq?

>angle

Why not dxinterop?

>wtf does that do?

I know it fixed an issue wit a default in the fall. Perhaps someone can say if it's still needed.

Noob here, please rate my config:

profile=opengl-hq
hwdec=vdpau

That's it for now

[svp]
vo=opengl
hwdec=no
input-ipc-server=/tmp/mpvsocket

[default]
profile=opengl-hq

60 fps animay gurls with
$ mpv --profile=svp

'cause I'm learning and copied some shit. Disabling for now, I guess?

>dxinterop

Will try!

Is there a way (on Windows) to verify all the settings mpv is running, just to make sure they were entered correctly? Such as an OSD readout or a terminal equivalent or a log.

profile=opengl-hq
opengl-shaders="~~/adaptive-sharpen.glsl"
hwdec=auto
keep-open
slang=en,eng
cache-secs=60
ytdl-format=High/bestvideo[height

can't you just run mpv.exe from CMD?

Not quite. To get proper CLI output you have to run mpv.com, otherwise it doesn't write anything to stdout. But other than that -- yup, same thing as anywhere else.

Would like to know how to set the gamma to -15 as default

Well you could install mpv-repl, then press ` and type print-text "${options/option-name}", where option-name is the name of the option you want to check.

Incredible. I can see everything!

Hi lads check out these scripts that I've made, you can make webms easily without leaving mpv
pic related
github.com/occivink/mpv-scripts

And the webm generated in this video

Very cool. Will try next time I'm in a webbum mood.

>scale=ewa_lanczossharp:cscale=ewa_lanczossoft:prescale-luma=nnedi3:nnedi3-neurons=64:prescale-downscaling-threshold=1.5

>when u realize the colon meme u found in some old /mpv/ thread doesn't actually activate a damn thing

That's funny. Even back then there was a guy in the thread asking why his graphics card wasn't heating up.

profile=opengl-hq
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
cscale=ewa_lanczossharp
dscale=lanczos
scaler-resizes-only

interpolation=yes
tscale=oversample
blend-subtitles=yes

sub-ass-force-style=Kerning=yes
demuxer-mkv-subtitle-preroll

alang=jpn,jp
slang=eng,en

keep-open
no-input-default-bindings
no-resume-playback

screenshot-format=jpg
screenshot-jpeg-quality=97
screenshot-template=D:\Downloads\snapshots\%f_%P_[%td.%tm.%ty_%tH.%tM.%tS]

title="${filename}"
autofit-larger=90%x90%
volume=50
volume-max=100
script-opts=osc-layout=bottombar,osc-seekbarstyle=bar,osc-scalewindowed=0.6,osc-scalefullscreen=0.6,osc-valign=0.7,osc-hidetimeout=4000,osc-minmousemove=1

osd-level=1
osd-duration=1000
osd-font-size=9
osd-bar-align-y=-1
osd-bar-w=100
osd-bar-h=1
osd-border-size=0

ytdl=no

[extension.webm]
loop-file=inf
[extension.gif]
loop-file=inf

>ytdl=no
Why?

Why not?

why use windows with mpv in the first place?

based user

How do I make mpv automatically catch up subtitles that come in a subfolder in corresponding manner?

I can understand not using the ytdl interoperability, but I don't understand what the purpose of explicitly disabling it is.

Neat trick with images. How do you zoom them (and what would be input.conf line for that)?
I already use mpv as both video and audio player, its playlist function is useful as fuck.

Thanks

Here are some bindings that you can use to zoom and pan.
ctrl+up add video-pan-y -0.01
ctrl+down add video-pan-y +0.01
ctrl+left add video-pan-x -0.01
ctrl+right add video-pan-x +0.01
ctrl+0 set video-pan-x 0; set video-pan-y 0; set video-zoom 0
ctrl+- add video-zoom -0.01
ctrl++ add video-zoom +0.01

You can also play with the property video-unscaled.
I also have my meme drag-to-pan script over there
github.com/occivink/mpv-scripts#drag-to-panlua

What kind of special configuration do you use for audio player mode?

I'm new, how do I into playlist

mpv is the best video player on Windows too. MPC-HC ain't shit.

Navigate to folder which contains multiple video/audio files and type mpv *.flac, *.mp4, whatever you like.
You can also use mpv song1.flac song3.flac etc.
Thanks user-kun

Also, for audio player, nothing. If it has cover image ocassionaly it displays it.
If I'm streaming it from YouTube, I just use --no-video flag

I'm using mpv in windows, 64bit compile, still fresh (ie no config)
why does mpv stutter when playing files (mkv, mp4) from external hdd?
hdd is USB 3.0
I'm running i7-6700HQ with 960M

mpv -v in console

Every misspelled or illegal config will be marked red

>Navigate to folder which contains multiple video/audio files and type mpv *.flac, *.mp4, whatever you like.
On that topic, I've tried the edl format when playing an album, its pretty nice. Here is a script that I use (it's fish but easy to translate):
set -l edl
for i in *flac
set -l valuebytes (printf "%s" $i | wc -c)
set edl (printf "%s;%%%s%%%s" "$edl" $valuebytes $i)
end
mpv edl://(string sub -s 2 $edl)

It's nicer than just doing mpv *flac because the entire album appears as one track, and you can still go from one song to the other with the chapters control.

That's why I sorted songs by 01. 02. etc so I can just type mpv 01 then tab, 03 then tab.
I wish I could do this graphically but thunar craps out and opens one file only when several are selected.

mpv assumes local hard disks are fast, so it doesn't use a cache by default for local files (only for network files.) You can change this by adding cache=yes to your config.

I've heard people say that this sort of thing happens more often on Windows than on Linux, so maybe Linux has a more effective disk cache. Still, I use mpv on Windows and I've never had this problem, even with external drives. If your drive is USB 3.0, make sure you're actually using a SuperSpeed cable and a SuperSpeed port. Even then, you might be out of luck. Some external hard drives are really slow, even ones that have a USB 3.0 interface for marketing reasons.

If this happens with mpv but not with VLC or MPC-HC, it might be worth creating an issue on GitHub about it. Maybe mpv should always activate the cache on Windows or always activate the cache for files external drives.

That's neat, but I always thought the --merge-files option already did that thing. Does mpv --merge-files *.flac work too?

Wow it does, that's a lot simpler. Thanks for the suggestion.

dude nice

gonna use that when playing video over sshfs

mpv already tries to cache when playing over sshfs, speaking from experience. Don't forget to set your cache-size to a comfortable size based on how much ram you got.

Which OS are you using? On Linux, mpv should automatically activate the cache on sshfs, because it activates the cache on all FUSE filesystems (since a lot of them are slow/network filesystems.) I have no clue if it also does this for, say, macOS or BSD ports of sshfs, but if it doesn't, this is probably a bug.

The list of filesystems that mpv considers network filesystems is here: github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/a049a32/stream/stream_file.c#L173

Maek it stap :(

hwdec, etc.

set gamma -15

Can't reproduce.

If you're not just trolling and you want to fix whatever you've done wrong, post your config file and a verbose log.

Unused CPU is wasted CPU

What to fix? Shit's broken. I can't make any player to be such a resource hog no matter how much I try. MPV is written by incompetent people and that's the result.

Yeah, well, a good player should offload CPU's work to the GPU.

where do you get these glsl files?

Same as scripts, you can find some in the wiki of the project:
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/User-Scripts#pixel-shaders

>What to fix?
It's impossible to tell. You haven't even told us what kind of file you're trying to play, what settings you're using or what hardware you have. Even if you're just using the default settings for all three video players, please mention this.

The most effective way to get help with an mpv problem is to run mpv --log-file=my-log-file.txt my-test-video.mkv and post the log file to a pastebin. If you're actually looking for help and not trolling, you will do this. Sometimes the bug is a legitimate mpv bug, but more often than not it's user mis-configuration, like trying to use a WGL backend without OpenGL drivers installed, misuse of some cargo-culted option, or trying to run mpv at all on unsupported hardware. (If you don't have support for OpenGL 2.1 and up, DX9 PS3.0 and up, or DX11 level 9_3 and up, please don't bother with mpv.)

>Having to edit config files to make a video player usable
That's the real problem.

is there a shader that makes everything look like vector graphics?

VLC and MPV use hw decoding: DXVA2 for VLC/MPV, MPC uses CUVID. All use D3D hwa. Playing a 1080p30fps h264.
3770k, 780ti, 32GB RAM, Intel 530 SSD
All players running windowed at 1:1 (1440p monitor), so no up/down scaling was involved.
The MPV build used was this one: mpv.srsfckn.biz/mpv-x86_64-20161120.7z as anything newer has broken d3d acceleration.

vaapi or vdpau?

>using meme shaders

That's better, but it's not a log. If you're using DXVA2 with mpv, you're obviously not using the default settings, since hardware decoding is off by default in mpv. If you don't want to post a log, the next best thing is posting your config file. (But if you don't know how to follow those instructions to get a log file, you're not part of the intended target audience of mpv and you really should just use VLC or MPC-HC instead.)

>The MPV build used was this one: mpv.srsfckn.biz/mpv-x86_64-20161120.7z
Yeah, okay. That's 0.21.0. The current version of mpv is 0.23.0 and mpv devs do not support older versions.

>as anything newer has broken d3d acceleration.
What do you mean by this?

how to enable support for *.mpd files?

# Video
profile=opengl-hq
hwdec=no
opengl-backend=dxinterop
opengl-early-flush=yes
deband=yes
framedrop=vo
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
cscale=ewa_lanczossharp
dscale=mitchell
correct-downscaling=yes
sigmoid-upscaling=yes
dither-depth=auto

# Audio
audio-channels=auto
audio-pitch-correction=yes
volume=100

# Window
force-window=immediate
save-position-on-quit=no
resume-playback=no
keep-open=always
autofit-larger=90%x90%
autofit-smaller=40%x40%
border=yes
fs=no
cursor-autohide=200
msg-module

# OSD Bar
no-osd-bar

# OSD Text
osd-font="Source Sans Pro"
osd-font-size=52
osd-border-size=2.5
osd-color='#ffffff'
osd-border-color='#CC000000'
osd-shadow-color='#33000000'
osd-shadow-offset=1

# OSC Layout
script-opts=osc-layout=bottombar,osc-seekbarstyle=bar,osc-minmousemove=2,osc-boxalpha=130,osc-scalewindowed=1,osc-scalefullscreen=1,osc-hidetimeout=1000

# Subtitles Setup
embeddedfonts=yes
sub-auto=fuzzy
sub-gray=yes
sub-ass-force-style=Kerning=yes
sub-ass-style-override=force
sub-use-margins=yes
demuxer-mkv-subtitle-preroll

#Subtitles Text
sub-font="Source Sans Pro"
sub-bold=no
sub-font-size=56
sub-margin-y=110
sub-color="#FFFFFF"
sub-border-color="#CC000000"
sub-border-size=3
sub-shadow-offset=1
sub-shadow-color="#33000000"
sub-spacing=0

# Screenshots
screenshot-format="jpg"
screenshot-jpeg-quality="100"
screenshot-jpeg-source-chroma=yes
screenshot-tag-colorspace=yes
screenshot-high-bit-depth=yes
screenshot-template="%f%P"

# Other
msg-color=yes
ytdl=yes
ytdl-format=0/(bestvideo[vcodec=vp9]/bestvideo[height>720]/bestvideo[fps>30])[tbr

I can't get it using d3d, only opengl resulting in even higher cpu usage.

>being this retarded

troll go away, you already have been proven d3d acceleration isn't broken, it's just you are retarded.

mpv uses Direct3D for a number of things, so it's still not clear what you mean by that. Do you mean you're using vo=direct3d instead of vo=opengl, or is it something else?

By the way, I have a pretty similar setup to you (3570K, GTX 670, 16GB RAM, 850 EVO SSD) and I've never had anything like your problem, regardless of which settings I use. The default settings work (empty config file,) and it works with all opengl backends (win, angle, dxinterop) and all hwaccels (none, dxva2-copy, dxva2, d3d11va.) I've never had CPU usage that high.

Also, you still haven't posted a log or config file. I'm getting pretty sick of playing 20 questions when there will probably be something pretty obvious in the log/config.

thanks mate, working smooth right now
on a side note, do you really have to recompile binaries just to add vapsynth?

Just ignore "her", "she"'s just "trolling"

Mine is the smallest one:

Why are you messing your mpv.conf with all these insane config?
Keep it simple, stupid.

>playing a 4k movie using a software renderer

Igv is updating his shaders all the time. The problem is that sometimes the last active field tricked me because somebody starred the shader or add a comment.

Does anyone know if there is a rss feed for gist changes?
And why using gist and not directly github?

However this guy is the only guy that creates/ports shaders for mpv and it's awesome!

If mpv is not using hwdec for this kind of files, there is a good reason!

I didn't say anything about decoding

>Confusing renderer and decoder

Oh yes! ;)
Software rendering is deprecated as shit and terribly slow.

I didn't

Then what are you refering to? opengl is the default vo with no config.

Are you using vapoursynth with your cluster of i7 cpu based computers to upscale your shit with jinc?

> unironically not using madVR

stop the copycats linuxfags

- Windows is a government based operating system.
- MPC-HC and madVR are based on Windows technologies.
- More than 99% of people don't pay for video contents.
- VLC doesn't care about video quality.
- Kodi is too bloated for most of us.
- Kodi still doesn't have debanding. :(

It seems mpv is currently the only sane choice for people watching video contents.

But it's a delphi shit from 90s with terrible licence.
Nobody wants that kind of shitty software on their own computer.

> he unironically deleted his post to re-post it for bumping

keeping this here for the proof.

mpv is a cheap copycat of madVR

prove it

Is there a way to save screencaps as pngs instead of jpgs?

Not this shit again

Enjoy the next gen oil painting effect.

He is still using directshow for his renderer!
Being mad doesn't mean you have to use deprecated shits.
Or maybe he forgot a "t" at the end of his pseudo.

Haasn will finish his ultra portable vulkan renderer before madshi will even understand how to not use directshow. He is intoxicated as fuck.

>On the madshi's websites:
Germany, 22175 Hamburg

>On the haasn's github:
Germany

>Madshi's web design skills:
madshi.net

>Haasn's web design skills:
haasn.xyz

Madshi and haasn are the same person!
This guy has bipolarity problem or something.

>hurrr, muh softwheer is puhrfhekht, how dare you report actual problems

>MPV is written by incompetent people and that's the result.
Great bug report, good job on your contribution.

Yes, read the manual

I use MPV for viewing files but at the same time I think it's total shit because it doesn't have any UI.

VLC snapshot.

>hurr I keep posting an issue only I have encountered and no one else can reproduce, and refuse to submit proper information about it durr
At least you're getting a bunch of (You)'s, congratulations.