Expert: Meitu is no worse than any other application, outrage is due to "racism"

The highly popular image editing application received Meitu has sparked heated debate about security.

Several US technology publications have speculated about the amount of data collected on the user.

Meitu collect data in order to send you advertisements. This is standard practice, for example, Snapchat collects far more data and accurate position information than Meitu.

Sean Sullivan, Data Security researcher at Finnish security company F-Secure says that it is a fake moral panic.

"I'm angry that American journalists freaking out when an application sends information to China. There are a lot of applications that send Chinese data for US servers, but does not create any moral panic. "

"This is a matter of prejudice, even racist."

hs.fi/nyt/art-2000005053951.html

People let a video game (Pokemon GO) have access to their email accounts, so I'm sure this isn't an issue.

Well, journalists should freak out any time an application sends personal data to their servers without users' consent.

Wait, are you telling me that there is an application that will turn me into a cute girl?

Nothing is sent without cosent. More data is sent without consent with every OSX app update than on most Android apps.

Yes

Based F-Secure

ayy lmao

>without users' consent.
kek, most of these things say they do, it's just that nobody reads EULAs/privacy policies

the fact that phonefags willingly bend-over and have any of their personal info sent anywhere is pathetic and indicative of today's lazy, clueless generation

People aren't as worried what the companies will do with the data, but what happens if a Chinese company has a disgruntled employee incident that causes a data breach and exposes their data to the rest of the world? That's a big enough problem in the US. People have the right to be fearful of what happens to data sent to countries with different rules.

You're not scared of Google, that's just a meme. You're scared of the hacker who breaks into Google and what he might do.

Western governments and companies are worse

Nobody trusts Google

Why is she crying

If you people actually think that "It's in the 5000 word EULA lol" is a reasonable excuse you're fucking retarded. Just because the legal world hasn't caught up with the software one doesn't excuse it.

Thingken of freedoms

Nobody trusts anyone.

Than on a world based around laws we should just change things to what? 30pt helvetica sign yelling : THIS SHIT COLLECTS >THIS DATA< WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION. DARE TO CONTINUE?

EULA is not exactly a solution but after pointing it out, you should promote an alternative. Like having complete access to the data that they collect, and being capable of delete or anything else. But yeah EULA is far away from a complete solution but I urging to see better solutions from you user.

NSA stealing her instagrams and tinders

>"journalists" and bloggers are too stupid and uneducated to discuss problems of spying and security from a technological, security based, and corporate-political aspects
>they choose the next best thing that any idiot can philosophize about and make conspiracy theories out of: identity politics and race

Another day of stupid people with lowered mental capacities dragging everyone around them down to their level.

WESTERN TECH SITES LOVE TO SPREAD FAKE NEWS ABOUT RUSSIA AND CHINA

FAKE NEWS

All the socials in the cyber!

American companies do this to kill any competitors from China.

It doesn't need to be true, as long as they've pissed in the water so nobody would drink it.

You lied. It basically adds filters to photos you take.

I will never become a cute girl ;_;