Upgraded to Debian Linux because Sup Forums said so

>upgraded to Debian Linux because Sup Forums said so
>at first everything works fine
>then I want to connect my headphones with USB sound card
>only VLC works with it, and only after I manually change the output sound card in settings
>firefox still plays through internal speakers
>get mad
>get back to WIndows
So, what's your story, Sup Forums? When did you realize linux is a hobby os?

Other urls found in this thread:

cnet.com/news/paid-developers-power-the-linux-kernel/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Debian is retarded use a real OS

bet you were using pulse

>only after I manually change the output sound card in settings
holy shit you must be a hacker

just open pavucontrol (install if you don't have), play some music and change output in pavucontrol

there is nothing wrong with pulseaudio or systemd.

If you want distro that just werks, it's comfy and isn't botnet, install Mint

Don't spoonfeed people who can't do their own research, they will be shitting up the board tomorrow with more easily-googled questions.

Why the actual fuck didn't you listen to me when I said "install gentoo" It's a really good OS, literally anything anyone could ever want is in Gentoo

> USB headphones

Bowies in the ground six months and this is what's left of the world

So you pretty much confirm that linux doesn't work OOB and it requires doing fucking RESEARCH before I can do such a simple thing like playing music through usb headphones?
Top kek. WIndows does that out of box.

manjaro i3 is the only answer

>install gentoo
>install manjaro i3
>install *tips* fedora
>install debian
>install mint
>install openbsd
I'm tired of these memes. Gonna keep using Windows until they finally make linux usable.

Then feel free to stick with Windows, what's the problem?

freetards spreading FUD about linux being usable and their tricking other people into installing it.

sorry, my bad

To be fair, if someone's too stupid to use google, they deserve to get tricked.

A lot of people will say "Linux should be easier to use, because we need new people in the community"
While this sounds good on the surface, it's actually utter bullshit.
Users that need spoonfeeding don't contribute back. I mean, take a look at Ubuntu or Mint forums, and look at the types of questions the average linux user asks.

It sounds harsh, but these people should consider sticking with Windows. Linux shouldn't become an "out-of-the-box" solution, and people who can't handle that should stick with different technologies.

LINUX BLOWN THE FUCK OUT
using headphones under linux requires doing
>research
and playing in terminal beforehand.
Linux on desktops is a fucking meme. Kill yourselves, linux permavirgins

Why are you getting so upset? Are you mentally ill or something?

Just stick with Windows, there's no shame in using proprietary software.

: ^ )

how does it feel to use inferior OS that requires fixing every single thing, all the time?

Funny I had the opposite issue. Installed windows 10 on my laptop from 2015, screen resolution is off, power saving features are fucked, screen tearing, etc.
Fedora worked perfectly on first boot
I suppose windows is a hobby OS by your logic

I don't know how that feels, because that's not my experience with Linux.

However, if that is your experience, nobody is stopping you from using Windows.

Also, don't bother replying until you have calmed down

When will you realize that you're wasting even more time with your whining on an image board?

Instead you could've installed windows on your machine which is obviously a much better choice for you.

most of what people do on a pc now is either within a web browser or office suite which fully packaged distros come with. Chrome books sell like crazy and thats literally all they come with

You're weird

> Implying that switching audio sinks on Windows isn't completely retarded.

Are you mentally retarded?
I literally said already I've switched back to windows.

no, it's not. You pick the device you want, you set it as default one and it just werks.
It also detects new devices and switches automatically, unlike linux subOS

>he fell for the linux meme

So yeah. You cannot use the right program to configure pulse so the entire is os is a le hobby OS?

So, what's you story? When are you going to kill yourself your dumbfuck meme spamming idiot?

Even better, when do law forbid the likes of you from using computers?

wow there, don't cut yourself on all that edge

>2017
>using usb headset requires the user to search the internet for solutions on how to properly configure it, so you can actually hear sound in headphones
Top fucking kek.
>Even better, when do law forbid the likes of you from using computers?
muh butthurt
Better stop shitposting on my board and go fix your X server. I heard it crashed again during youtube playback. lolololol

?

He's not using a USB headset, he is using a headset with a USB sound card.

By the sounds of things the problem is that he added another output device to his computer and he didn't properly switch between them. It's something that could happen on any Operating System because it's not going to magically know which output device you want to use at any given time, aside from the one set as default of course.

That's one way to look at it, but on the other hand, if there was an out-of-the-box linux distro which a significant amount of BFUs would use, it could force developers to take linux support more seriously and the community would benefit too.

windows somehow knows which device to use
obviously, the one I connect out of nowhere.
linux is fucking stupid if it doesn't know that

At first I was annoyed, switched back to windows, but then tried again, sticked to it, started to like knowing about every part of the system and now my computers actually do what I tell them to. Plus I do it for the living. Feels good, to be honest

I'm pretty sure you have to select which output device you want to use in Windows too.

You're dumb

cnet.com/news/paid-developers-power-the-linux-kernel/

No. It just switches to the newly connected one

So the physical act of connecting a new output device performs the act of selecting a device, gotcha. Since I never disconnect my devices, I end up having to do this through software when switching between headphones and speakers, so I haven't noticed that peculiarity.

Still, you got a graphical interface to configure it whatever the fuck you want.
In debian you have to search on the internet for a bash command which doesn't even have to run properly

No, in a vanilla version of debian that uses gnome, you have a graphical interface in the settings that lets you select audio device, output configuration, volume, etc.

In addition to that you also have pavucontrol installable from repositories for more advanced graphical control, and for people who feel very daring also the CLI commands that you're talking about.

Still, Linux is a hobby OS for permavirgins :^)
Install Windows 10, user. It's good for you

I did the same a couple of months ago but instead of Windows went the gay route and chose macOS.

It's like a polished distro that just works and has commercial software.

Win7 is also okay but i'd rather use a broken Linux distro than Win10.

>have two sound cards
>linux doesn't read my mind to choose which card should it use for given program
>apparently windows somehow can do it even though it doesn't have per-program audio output settings
Is this real life? How does people like OP even know how to turn on the computer?

No it doesn't always work.
Last time I used Windows 7 I started computer with no headphones attached. I started a game and wanted to have audio so I connected headphones, but nothing happened. In mixer the game was assigned to some digital-something and I could do nothing to change it to headphones, even if they were default output. On linux I can just open pavucontrol and choose which output is default, and change output of any application to any output.

>windows 10
>connect microphone
>nothing
>choose microphone as input
>suddenly headphones don't work, sound is coming out of the monitor
>choose "speakers" in the audio settings
>sound coming out of headphones, but microphone doesn't work
>have to set microphone as default
>ease of use

>meanwhile in Linux...

>there exist a huge number of distros like mint and ubuntu that actually just werk
>mindlessly choose debian because Sup Forums said so
>angry when it doesn't work

this is a massive problem with the linux community that helps keeps it market share low
>people recommending debian for noobs
>le ebin install gentoo meme
>some retards on this board actually recommend arch as your first distro
>people who want something that just werks use these distros instead of a simple one

>distros like mint and ubuntu that actually just werk
nonononon, have you ever tried to install nvidia drivers on ubuntu? you don't know what are you talking about.

I've never seen anyone outside of Sup Forums recommending debian for first time users.
Everyone who isn't shitposting knows that distros like Mint are perfect for new people.

Also it doesn't change the fact that OP is too retarded to use computer, no matter which OS. The same exact post can be made about every modern OS because there is no way for any OS to magically know your intention when you have multiple possible outputs.

Installing graphic drivers including bumblebee on Arch took me 20min including reading wiki page. How can ubuntu be harder?

It's not hard, it just don't werks.

On Debian there is. They have a retarded default config that doesn't properly handle connecting and removing headphones.

You're better off with Ubuntu or Fedora as far as desktops for braindead normalfags go.

As a Debian user and having only headphones all the time plugged in directly to the sound card, what is wrong with the default config and how can I fix it, or do I really need to even do anything as I never disconnect my headphones, as I said I don't have other audio devices connected to my machine, I always use my headphones and they are always plugged in

he grew old like milk.

If you only use headphones then you're all right.
I used Debian on a laptop where I connected and disconnected headphones often so it was a pain in the ass.

I have the same fucking problem, also how can i update the kernel to 4.9.4 ?