Tips for someone learning to touch type?

Tips for someone learning to touch type?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vXsutlz0GIQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>there are people on Sup Forums RIGHT NOW that can't touch type
You're fucked, I hope you're underage

I sorta just do my own thing

Why be an asshole?

I'm sorry, I've seen too many people asking for tips for learning shit like "programming", "Japanese", "pouring cereal", "cooking eggs".

Just things that if you have to waste your own time asking people for "that one secret trick" instead of actually doing it, you're most likely doomed to fail.

what i'm asking is what people have found out by experience, not necessarily tips. Like how long the learning curve is, forgetting old habits etc. I phrased it completely wrong.

I dont know whats so hard, just look at the screen and start typing words by trying to remember where letters re until you can write coherent letters.

I learned to touch type when I was 9 or 10 by not looking at the keyboard anymore. It took me 1 day to get accustomed, and a few days more to get fully accustomed. I do have to say I had to force myself during that initial day of getting accustomed.

Not the user you are replying to but the reason why he is pissed off is that despite having access to the largest information source in the history of mankind you still have to create a thread for something that could have taken you a matter of seconds to find out for yourself. Even if you didn't have the time to do your research, Sup Forums is kind enough to provide /sqt/, a designated thread for simple questions. Yet instead of making a post there you decide to make a thread about it. Ultimately it is not the fact that you can't touch type that pisses off anons, it is the fact you don't even try to find out yourself.

>tl;dr: kys

Just go to any wpm/touchtype website and start typing. I learned it over christmas holidays but i still use my own style if i need to type fast.

I don't make too many typos, it's just that i type super fucking slow doing this.

Play runescape(osrs) . If you cant shittalk someone inbetween whip hits you're not a real pker.

>not look at keyboard
>type
>type until you get it right

How is this hard

i have important shit to do that i don't want hampered by super slow typing.

You need to do it until you get fast.

Stop using your eyes and your brain to type, shouldn't be that hard.

To use an example, I don't know what my computer password is. But, I can retrace the typing motions easily. I've had to do some air keyboard bullshit before when I was typing in a password on my phone.

>i have important shit to do that i don't want hampered by super slow typing.
see If you didn't do it back when you didn't have important shit, you were delaying your suffering and paying the price now.

That's some sound advice, user.

Its true, if you just start doing it without giving a shit about speed you will start physically remembering the position of each key and eventually end up being able to touch type.

I still miss some keys every now and then, its exactly not that hard to just press backspace once and start typing again.

theres always this one key that keeps kicking my ass

play online games where you chat with people. the panic of taking too long to answer teached me how to touch type

That sounds like a good idea.

when I learned how to type in elementary school, they had us put a cloth over our hands while we did some typing educational program (something like mavis beacon). that might help you avoid the urge to look

That's a cool idea.
In elementary school i was supposed to learn properly, but i had some experience with computers and i learned to do it my own way. I was much faster than the other students and i relished it. Then a few weeks later they started passing me up, and when i tried to do it the right way, i was slow. So i just didn't do it that way.

I'm French and I use the BÉPO keyboard variant. I believe you should use your local alternative layout, such as DVORAK.

And it seems that sticking labels on your keyboard is a terrible idea.

I can't believe that there is people on Sup Forums who can't touch type.

I can't believe there *are* people on Sup Forums that can't use grammar properly.

At my school they took cardboard boxes and cut away one side of it so you could stick your hands through. Worked pretty well for me

dont look at the keyboard

Pic related is how I learned

I used GNU typist to learn how to touchtype.

I'm not shitting you.

MMOs without voicechat

Typing
> selling 500k lobbies
and similar for hours on end.

We really aught to make a FOSS version of this game.

All that did was make me a really fast peck typer.

Abandon qwerty. Not only will you be using a saner layout (every layout that has thought put into it is better than qwerty), but for learning to touch type properly it's better to start from a blank sheet instead of trying to rewind year-old habits that you developed with qwerty.

SWITCH TO DVORAK.

1. Stop looking at the keyboard
2. ?????
3. Profit

No. Dvorak is at best marginally faster than qwerty, but gives you a lifelong handicap whenever you're going to use a computer that isn't your own. Don't fall for the dvorak meme.

here's a tip: don't post on this website until you're 18 years old.

1. Use one keyboard, and that keyboard only.
2. Keep practicing. Go onto websites like typeracer and typing.com, they can help improve speed.

#1 Is the most important in my opinion because it becomes much easier to touch type when you have memorized the layout/feel of one keyboard, switching kind of messes it up.

And for the love of god don't switch to Dvorak, some might say that it's "faster" but it's just going to be a huge inconvenience to you in the long run.

this is how i learned
youtube.com/watch?v=vXsutlz0GIQ

Literally this

I think I used some spongebob typing PC game to learn when I was in like third grade. You can probably find something without the spongebob shit. I still make a lot of mistakes, mostly because I'm really lazy when doing anything with my fingers (writing, typing, etc).

Just learn homerow typing, a lot better than self-taught methods

violent autism
how about you fuckers stop getting angry at everything you see on this retarded imageboard? try either ignoring the thread or helping

write write write write.
I got it in about 3 daily sessions of writing for 30 minutes, whatever came to my mind.