Why is Sony the only brand that still gives a shit about smaller phones that are somewhat high-end...

Why is Sony the only brand that still gives a shit about smaller phones that are somewhat high-end? Pic related is literally the only decent choice at 4.6" or less.

A few years ago 5.2" was considered a 'phablet'. Now it's the industry standard.

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/46inch_xiaomi_mi_s_reportedly_on_the_way_with_snapdragon_821_4gb_of_ram-news-22295.php
sharp.co.jp/corporate/news/160628-a.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Probably because it's a Japanese company. Flip phones are still popular in Japan, which are fairly small in size. Hence why the small smartphones.

How do phonelets even type?

>flip phones
How does that even work with a modern smartphone OS? Do they still have physical keyboards?

M8, SwiftKey (or non-spyware alternative), swype enabled and using one hand to type is comfy af

>or non-spyware alternative
Is there such thing out there? Only others I can think of are Gboard, Chroma, Swype and Touchpal, all of which are botnet keyboards.

I have increased the screen size gradually from 3.5" to 5.5". The largest screen has been the most comfortable to type with. More room for buttons which makes fast typing more accurate. I don't even have fat fingers, they are bony.

I don't use autocorrect or swype at all. One button press is one character, no exceptions.

Isn't gboard quite configurable with respect to privacy? I'm not sure since I myself have long resigned to SwiftKey's botnet.

Anyway even without swiping, the 4.3"-4.6" range is a lot more comfortable for a lot of people, women in particular.

Browsing the web is easier on larger phones, shocker I know.

Also they aren't the only producer of sub 5" phones you just can't into consumerism, there is never an excuse for buying Sony, creator of DRM rootkits, and countless technologies that destroy audio and visual quality on multimedia without users consent. They ignore consumer protection and store customer information in plain text and they haven't produced anything innovative in the last decade.

sony is slowly giving up on the "compact flagship" idea. maybe they are right in that putting a battery eating fire breathing cpu on a small phone was not the brightest idea. Sony is not good with cooling either, with their phones getting too hot easily so this must be the right move for them.

Got a big screen, but this keyboard would work great on a smaller screen too.

>2007, apple releases little hip and trendy keyboardless phone and everyone loves it
>2017, phone size still grows because no one can write without proper keyboard
>no one wants to buy a keyboard though
why is it happening

Everyone now gets off on 8k displays and twenty core cpus in their phones - for reasons I still don't understand - and you don't get that in a 4" device. You want big hardware, you're going to get a big phone. Even in the cheapo sector it's simply the less costly aproach. Try to find a no-brand china phone with halfway decent specs, like, hd display and an OS from this century and the ability to run it steadily - you'll find that phones smaller than 5" simply do not exist.

Too bad they don't give a shit about making good but inexpensive phones

>he never had to type on a 2,5" screen

What phone is that?

gsmarena.com/46inch_xiaomi_mi_s_reportedly_on_the_way_with_snapdragon_821_4gb_of_ram-news-22295.php

For some reason when I had Google Keyboard it used gigabytes of data each month, even with all privacy options. That caused me to switch to the AOSP keyboard, which is pretty much the same fucking thing without the botnet.

people don't care about writing "correctly" and at the time not having a physical keyboard was seen as a cool thing, just like not having ports on laptops is cool today.

looks like apple has always been about removing things. nothing changed. they are now removing parts of their laptop keboards too.

>Why is Sony the only brand that still gives a shit about smaller phones that are somewhat high-end?

Because the Japanese are tiny people, and they have tiny hands.

Are there any flagship phones with a

Yes, the one OP posted

Japanese have small hands, making it difficult, if not impossible, to operate giant phablets.

Sharp Aquos mini SH-M03
sharp.co.jp/corporate/news/160628-a.html
It's better than shitty Sony.

would you consider it a bait if i said iphone SE?

Is there something like the old numberpad keyboard for android?

Sharp still do. They have a Xx3 Mini coming up. Which may or may not be good.

Yes. But most of them are feature phones.

>Flip phones are still popular in Japan
Except they're not. People who use flip phones are becoming a minority. Even Docomo and Sharp are not renewing their android flip phones anymore. iPhone is where it's at in China and Japan.

4.7" with 1080x1920 display. Not much of those around.

Nah. iPhone SE is definitely an option, but I would prefer something I could put LineageOS on. I haven't had an iPhone in years, but I have a feeling that iOS probably isn't much better than Android privacy-wise.

Not only that, it's 120Hz
Sony couldn't even do the FHD screen.
Yet they shoved a 4K screen in Z5P.

Any idea how hard it is to get something like AOSP/LineageOS on there? (e.g. locked recovery firmware)

Community support probably doesn't even exist.
Probably run the Qualcomm bootloader, so try looking for exploits for that.

Sony's phones are aesthetic as fuck.

The problem is there is literally no advertising. Here in the UK I see adverts for the iPhone and Galaxy Edge all the time yet I think I have seen one Sony ad for their phones.

Huh? They have regular ad campaigns for xperia on uk broadcast TV. They just mostly focus on the camera.

>Sony couldn't even do the FHD screen

I am happy that they didn't fall for the resolution meme in the compact series. Z5P was just there for bragging rights, swithcing to 4k only when needed with otherwise operating at FHD normally.

of course everyone appreciates higher resolutions but battery tech is not progressing fast.

>Sony's phones are aesthetic as fuck.
i agree, too bad they never care about updating them

My FHD phone lasts as long as my 768p phone.
The FHD phone had a 200mAh larger battery but that's it.

They seem to be pretty good with that. May not be fast but it's there.

Fuck you and your captcha google. You too hiroshi/moot.

What keyboard is that?

Nice that actually looks good

>tfw you will never be able to get an Xperia because they don't come with CMDA basebands
>tfw getting cucked by Verizon's shitty line up

Man, I've always liked the Xperia phones.
>tfw contract isn't up so can't get new phone

Can you even get that outside of Japan?

Sure.
$330 used in my country (Xx2 Mini, basically the same thing).

Shinji stop trying to save face. Nips are still using 15 year old tech. Fax machines are still a thong in your nation.

Thank god sony is giving Nougat to the Z5C

Samefag?

Do you think we will get any more android phones in the future? I dont plan on replacing my phone anytime soo but when I do I want a keyboard

wew meant to say keyboard phones

Because designing and engineering bigger phones is cheaper.
Most phone companies can't afford it.

>5.2"
>phablet
pick one faggot

A few years ago it was. The first Galaxy Note was considered abnormally large at 5.2"

Pretty good.

How do I into chickphones in general?

Just find a store selling whatever you want, make sure the phone is unlocked.
Also half the cool shit services won't work outside Japan.

captcha: werk

pray that this thing sells enough to motivate Blackberry to make a successor. actually, the numbers might not matter as they will just slap their logo onto alcatel phones from now on.

>alcatel makes decent phones has shit tier brand
>all that's left of blackberry is actually the word blackberry, so they need somebody that make decent hardware/soft

makes sense.

The X Compact is a fucking disgrace. Also expensive for the crap that is. We better see something come out of the next line because Sony managed to fuck almost 5 phones after the Z5 and getting a Z5C at this point is pushing it after a year or so it was released.

> z5c
> Sony claims water resistant
> shit tons of reports of Sony weaseling out of warranty replacements due to water damage

> can't buy the phone because i know they'll fuck me if it gets wet

MessagEase

Thanks

Every single time I see a Sony phone it looks beautiful.
I'm getting kinda tired of the curved back metal phone, it seems like all the chinese companies, HTC, and 1+ will keep making them.

>Sony managed to fuck almost 5 phones after the Z5
Wuh? I just bought a Z5 in the middle of last year knowing that the ZX would be coming out. I was feeling happy knowing that I wasn't in a rush and I'd be perfectly happy buying a year-old phone at a cheaper, not-retardedly-expensive new price WITH the added benefit of knowing that when I tire of the Z5, I can buy the ZX knowing that it will be at the not-retardedly-expensive new price.

You mean to tell me that the ZX is not worth it, even when I know it'll be

I had a Z2 a while ago that got water in the camera lens and they replaced it no problem.

what is iPhone SE

>iOS probably isn't much better than Android privacy-wise

its a lot better

Because a large space to work with is considered a plus to some people. I have an LG G3 and I love the shitnout of the space I have. Sure its not small, but I stopped cobsidering these things as "phones" a long time ago. Theyre pocket computers with a phone app. Seeing as I love multifunctionality, a larger pocket computer is pretty damn handy.

Because keyboards are fucking shit compared.to onscreen ones, useless waste of space and adds moving parts

can confirm, bought a note 3 and people were still talking about how big it was. looks average now

You hit the correct third of the keyboard and the keyboard estimates what you are about to type.
It is not a perfect system, but it works.

I have used larger phones and they are not easier to type on.
Back when we had ergonomic phones, phones were shaped after the human hand.
If my thumb and my middle finger touch, keeping my middle finger flat is really hard/uncomfortable.
In the range that is comfortable though, my thumb is extended 4-7 cm.
As you add the distance of the phone this range decreases.
I know that some companies make thin phones and think it makes up for having a wide phone, but there is no comfortable position in which you can hold the phone and reach every point of the screen.
You have to adjust position or use two hands.

But if you have found a way to hold a phone in a way that lets you type, please let me know.
There is not a long time before I have to either get an iphone or accept the giant phones.

They're not. Of course a passportless wonder one Sup Forums knows better than me though.
t. been living here two years.

too bad their phones are fucking over priced garbage

>Flip phones are still popular in Japan,

No.

Nice meme tho.

I fucking wish you manlets would stop crying about phones getting bigger. Can't you let us giants have this one fucking victory, seriously? I'm 6'6", size 15 feet. Finding clothes and shoes to fit me is impossible, I hit my head on door frames all the time, seats on cars, buses, trains, cinemas, etc, you name it, they're never fucking big enough for me. I stand out everywhere I go no matter how much I try not to. Life is miserable at times. But phones? I can finally get a phone that feels like a normal size for me. And you faggots have the audacity to whine every fucking day about not being able to get a Barbie doll-sized phone? Fuck you.

>be 6'4
>friends use me as a muster point in crowds

I would rather go back to T9 than use a small keyboard.
My main reason for using a keyboard is to input text.
Android is the slowest OS ever made and the keyboard is the biggest failure a programmer could ever make.
Android will always be a laggy piece of shit nobody but poor people will use because of that keyboard.
A hardware keyboard would fix this, but that would take some actual innovation in that field, but we all know that is not gonna happen.

Please elaborate. AOSP doesn't have the privacy invading tracking features iOS and Google Android have.

It works both ways.

>tfw using last acceptable phone ever made for people without marfan syndrome

why are there so many samsung shills around here?

Apple was deeply involved with spying on people according to the Snowden leaks. They are just pretending to b privacy conscious. If it really was safe it would have been open source.

Got the Xperia Z5 Premium, had it since '15. It still is on par with most other smartphones and I have around 230GB of music (FLAC) on it.

you literally can't fit a phone >5'' into the average Japanese apartment

by not having the fine motor skills of a giant ape