What's the most beautiful/ elegant engine that you can think of? Triple Expansion steam engine for me

What's the most beautiful/ elegant engine that you can think of? Triple Expansion steam engine for me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=u4b0_6byuFU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That's not a rotary engine.

Rotary or a radial.

I've always found the opposed piston engines really cool.

Sails. There's just something majestic about a sail ship.

never seen this type before

They're mostly used on submarines and railroad locomotives.

71 liter, 24 cylinder, 4 row supercharged radial engine.

1.6 liter V6 with a single split turbocharger, two power generators/regenerators which either charge the battery pack or provide additional power by spooling up the turbine(MGU-H) to reduce turbo lag or drive the crankshaft(MGU-K) using a simple gear system. Nearing 50% thermal efficiency on petrol.

Wankel rotary engine is a favorite of mine as well.

this
now if they would only allow VVT/VVL, metal/ ceramic composites,
unlimited fuel flow and revs you would easily see 10s/lap gains in race
and 15s/lap in quali

but FIA is too fucking stubborn and cries about cost reduction,
while top teams are spending $150M on aero alone

wrong, is an OPOC engine, what trains and subs use were multi crank opposed engine.

The current PUs are the most expensive ever. It's only reasonable to be concerned of costs. 10s/lap would be insanity and I'm sure drivers would start crying about safety had the regulations allow that massive speed increase.

I have a problem with the regulations when they create situations where you have to nurse the car like current fuel saving. If you can't refuel, don't make it something people have to cut down power for. The thermal efficiency would still be an obvious target for the engine development even if the fuel flow regulations were loosened.

VVL and VVT should both be allowed. Not allowing them goes against what was part of the idea of these highly efficient new PUs which is that they should reflect what is used/required in civilian vehicles. I'm sure there's a lot you could start doing with the valves had they allow much more freedom in their operation.

You should have heard the screams when STP used a jet turbine engine at Indy.
The organizers forced them to reduce the intake opening to 8" diameter. And it still licked them.

Free piston
youtube.com/watch?v=u4b0_6byuFU

Why the fuck would you use a reciprocating system in place of a turbojet? In fact why not use all that investment to research cheaper fuel cell catalysts.

>Why the fuck would you use a reciprocating system in place of a turbojet?
Turbojets are expensive as fuck, inefficient, noisy and have low lifespan.
>cheaper fuel cell catalysts
Even with cheap catalyst fuel cells have no real world use. Low hydrogen density and electrolysis power consumptions kills the idea.

I'm guessing something this enormous is only used on airplanes or ships?

I always found this to be neat by how incredibly simple it is.

Useless, sure, but cool.

>thinks homo motors are 'cool'

wow

Only applicable answer.

Turbines are expensive because nobody builds them, they're also extremely efficient in narrow bands of output and have fewer moving parts and less things to lubricate than a reciprocating engine. Generating electricity is one of the few things they do really well.

What does electrolysis have to do with fuel cells? Hydrogen is just a means of storing and transporting energy. It is a bitch to store and transport though.

The intake and exhaust seem to lack any mechanism for closing themselves between strokes. I can't help but believe any efficiency gains by having cylinder heads that contribute power instead of leaching it is lost because of the drastic pressure loss before the end of each power stroke.