How many of you own a cell phone?

how many of you own a cell phone?

i got rid of mine 2 years ago and honestly i dont want one

people who have their nose in their phone remind me of smokers

How's the weather in that basement?

i have a girlfriend and i work for a catering company so it's imperative that i own one. sucks to be stuck without enough pairs of tongs and you're 30 miles from homebase

do you keep in touch with anyone outside of your computer?

damp.

Phone is one of the only ways to contact me directly.

e-Things i can live without

you can have a home phone with an answering machine and not have a cell phone

the only thing ive noticed, is i need to look up where im going if im unfamiliar with the location beforehand

real friends will stay in touch via home phone

wow so many people who say they care about privacy

>home phone
Never leaving the house confirmed

>home phone
Don't these kind of require plain old telephone service?

ok

>home phone
It's been 6 years since I last had one of those. It's useless. Why even have those in 2017 is beyond me.

If you have things you want to keep private, don't fucking use it on your phone tied to your personal account. The more shady things you plan to use on a device, the further that device should be away from things that can be traced back to you.
Compartmentalize you autist

Don't have a cell phone since 2006, I never leave my room so I got this baby (pic related)

i have a cell phone but basically never really use it. im just getting some cheap piece of shit if this thing every craps out.

My home phone costs me $3.75 per month (taxes/911). VOIP line runs off my internet. Ooma app allows you to use a cellular device without service (wifi required) and use it as your phone away from home. You can accomplish the same thing with Google Voice/Hangouts and similar services. I only give out my home phone to employer/companies. Only close family or friends have my cell.

>real friends will stay in touch via home phone
Yeah, that's real convenient when you aren't at home.

user...

It must be sad to not have a bank account.

I just want a whatsapp gadget, everything e!se on the computer
We need to disconnect a bit as human beans and enjoy nature and shiet
Don't know about cameras though probably carry a modest camera around when the situation is worth it

>Don't know about cameras though probably carry a modest camera around when the situation is worth it

So you're just sitting around in a basement fantasizing about what it'd be like to go outside?

>We need to disconnect a bit
Then don't log into 24114 social networks and instant messenger services. Hell, just ignore when people write to you when you don't want to be disturbed. It's not that hard.

The combination of phone/mp3 player/camera alone is why smartphones are the by far most comfy solution.

>how many of you own a cell phone?

Never had one.
Never used one.
Never wanted one.

E-mail is the most perfect form of communication I have ever encountered in my life. It's fast, convenient, and there's a whole bunch of things that written correspondence can convey much more accurately than spoken correspondence can.

What does a phone have to do with your bank account?

i'm a shut in, i don't make or receive phone calls

>home phone
thats just dumb,

assuming you have internet at home, its better to just use a IM program, preferably on platform agnostic, but whatever, that friends can leave messages in txt or voice form, after all, most likely they will be calling from a pocket computer with internet connection

we're probably past the point where all people would be better off to just drop decrept overpriced telephony in favour of some redundant udp protocol with some anti-jitter buffer, but because of hermits like you we have to hold to archaic shit with a billing model based on an age of copper wires running across the land intented exclusively for voice transmission

>assuming you have internet at home, its better to just use a IM program

Terrible idea.

Home phones are literally 100% reliable. They work even when the power goes out.

There are people who are, like 60 years old who have never once in their life ever picked up a home phone and not gotten a dial tone.

The internet has way too flaky of an infrastructure. For example, the world is flooded with a huge number of cable modems that deliberately have capacitors that fail after about 2 or 3 years to force people to buy new ones.

No one thinks you're cool/edgy for not having a cell phone.

Email on your phone brah

>Why even have those in 2017 is beyond me

Lights go out (happens every couple of weeks in my area for a few minutes, moreso in summer), POTS still works.

Cell tower congested, POTS still works.

Internet's down, POTS still works.

Shops are being looted, everything's on fire, dead people everywhere and you can hear the Horsemen trotting in, POTS still fucking works.

I have it because it costs me less than 5 dollars a month and is a surefire no-holds-barred 100% reliable communication method. It requires me being home, but if I'm not at work or with the people who need to reach me in the first place, I'm usually at home. Or if it's not THAT urgent, they can leave a message.

Also, if I call 911, they have the exact address the call originated from. Even if I can't speak, I just hit three buttons and an ambulance, cops and fire truck will be here in less than 5 minutes. Cell tower triangulation can pinpoint your location to within... a little less than a fucking mile.

It appears that all it takes to stop a bad guy with a gun (and make a last call at the start of a nuclear holocaust) is a good guy with a home phone.

>stop a bad guy with a gun

Of course not, but it helps. Cell connection is iffy around my area. If something happens or someone has to reach me RIGHT NOW, the phone will always work.

I'd have a gun if I could, but alas, this shit country. Also if you shoot anyone with it and they did not shoot you first, it's not self defense. I said shoot too. People have gone to jail for shooting drugged-up thieves brandishing knives and threatening to use them. You're only allowed an equal response and gun > * according to the "dindu nuffin" judges.

im sometimes tempted to stop having a phone, but you really do need one to work. employers would much rather call you than email you.

but why not get a VOIP service? Skype and Google let you get a real number without shelling out for bullshit more-expensive-than-wireless home phone service. unsecured WiFi is everywhere these days, too, and text messaging is more popular than voice calls anyway

but thats true

police dont want you to take part in active shooter situations anyway, because they will probably blast you by mistake and even if they dont youll have to appear in court about it (because you DID discharge a weapon in public, there is a 0% chance of you getting punished but you can't just ignore the law because today it's this tomorrow we're marrying dogs WHERE DOES IT END), which is simply annoying

unless you have an ISDN line your internet goes over phone lines, buddy

"today's kids are always buried in their phones when I was young we were more social rah rah rah"