I don't understand anybody that bought a 900 or 1000 series GPU

I don't understand anybody that bought a 900 or 1000 series GPU.

Intel is understandable, because you are getting a solid CPU that will perform as expected.

But Nvidia is the opposite. You are risking no Async compute, driver degradation, and corner cutting for gaymen performance in its first year.

You 1070 isn't going to play games at a higher res than a 480, your 1080 will be eclipsed by a 1080Ti or Vega, and a 1060 is just inferior aside from power consumption.

Do you enjoy having to buy a GPU every year? People with 7970s are still getting by 5 years later.

Just bought an 480.

8GB or 4GB?

Not him but I bought the 8gb variant.

4gb

AMD gives me the other 4 for free.

Why not just buy a 470? Unless you were planning on the 8GB flash.

Because the 4gb Sapphire 480 costs as much in my country as the 470 4gb.

Until devs actually start paying attention to Vulkan, Nvidia cards will continue to sell themselves based on DX11 performance, and as it stands, no one's made a game with a DX12 renderer that offers anything other than a sidegrade, slightly higher grafix options, or situational performance help. Combined with Windows 10 being hated by the majority of the demographic that buys these cards, there's no real incentive to sell cards based on API's that the industry is currently half-assing or ignoring

Selling devs on an OGL-sourced API is hard enough as it is, since people stopped developing for it as a worthy DX competitor around the time DX9 matured for AAA titles, and Brink and Rage put the fear of God into publishers about what can happen when you use an API that relies on users to keep their drivers up to date, because it's a fuckload more tempermental in comparison to a DX game that's a few drivers behind

>dat FUD

10-series have async compute and so does the 980ti
AMD called the 470 a "1440p card" I wouldn't trust them with "4K capable Vega"
Just wait for another major dissappontment

Yes, but the symptom of Nvidia losing performance in DX12/Vulkan is concerning. Nvidia has always cut corners to make their cards more effective in current gen titles. Hell, they even dropped fp64 in the Titan series.

The poor DX12 performance is a symptom of poorly designed cards. Eventually it will catch up with them.

No, they have preemptive compute. If they had full Async, they would not be losing performance, let alone not gaining.

Well I'll be sure to let nvidia know their losses are due to DX12
I mean shit they finally have something to blame all those failures and poor performing 480s I mean 1080s

AMD has HBM2
AMD has Async
AMD has 4 gigabytes of vram
AMD STILL cant beat anything from nvidias last gen

Are you implying that Nvidia cards do not lose performance in DX12 mode vs DX11?

Nvidia drivers have that stability that AMD drivers don't have. That's enough to sacrifice some FPS and money. I'd rather have something slower that works 100% of the time.

I've personally had more issues with pink screens on Nvidia. But they are both shit.

AMD wins in cost. They are always the cheapest best bang for the buck GPU.

Most folks don't want to pay $500+ for a GPU that won't even last the life of their processor.

I'm implying that the architecture preference towards smaller and fewer packages with high clocks and bussing that nvidia did (i.e. Focused on DX11) paid off for them while AMD focusing on overarching design with high packages and low feedback (the smart move because DX12 is objectively better than DX11) isn't paying off for them nearly as much
Sure the AMD cards do better when you switch to dx12 and the nvidia ones don't, but that still leaves nvidia+DX11 destroying every AMD+DX11 and most AMD+DX12 games (assuming the game isn't deus ex or some shit)
I'm saying that even though AMD is taking the right path, they're STILL losing to nvidias last year api focus
And don't forget the 1080 in OGL still beats vega+vulkan in 4K doom
I'm saying wait another gen or two so everybody can get on the same page of apis

I dunno I used amd last gen and never had issues with stability.

Bought a 1070 for my new machine and the driver situation is pretty wack, like wtf is this shit needing the manufacturer driver to change the fan speed and crap?

I dunno AMD drivers did suck back in the ATI days but they have got much better these days

How much is a 1060?
It's fluctuated between 5% worse than a 480 to 5% better than a 480, it's really the same performance, just optimized differently

>mfw 970
feels kinda bad but I think it's gonna be fine for my 1080 screen for another year or two

>I don't understand anybody that bought a 900 or 1000 series GPU.

970: I'm unaware that the 290x exists and is offered at stupid low prices.

980: I am financially irresponsible.

960: I am Brazilian and I need a graphics card.

1060: I'm falling for Nvidia's bullshit again instead of buying the 480.

1070 and 1080 - Tards who fell for the "1440p has a purpose in gaming" meme.

I think 1060 is more money. Don't quote me on that.

I got a 1070 for 1080p. I want to play at 144hz max settings and not worry about shit developers who can't optimize their games

Don't worry it's only 5% worse than the 480 that's being shilled in this thread
On new modern games the 480 only has a 2-5fps lead over the 970, at 1080p, 1440p and 4K

>Go from 1080p to 1440p
>Everybody in Witcher 3 is uglier

ITT: AyyyMD Pajeets in denial

I thought the ability to play at >1080p was the whole purpose of PC gaming

>2017
>buy amd
plebs

290x was still $500 (or at very least well over $400) when I bought my 970s for $329 each

Still way more expensive though

by 40-80$ more,

The 980Ti does not have async. Stop talking of of your ass.

>unaware that 290x
>never mind that it consumes 30% more power than 970

>AMD drivers are unstable
2014 wants its meme back. This is not an argument. Crimson and ReLive are rock solid and always have been.

>muh $5 a year
eat shit you poorfag libtard.

Looks like a needy cunt, get that off my board.
NO #DPD
ON
MUH BOARD
Anyway look at her, pointy ears, weak fucking neck, still looks like a needy anxious bitch, plus she'll probably get a breast reduction at some point because muh back

What is math? Says the man whose parents pay the utilities

>tfw 980Ti
>tfw as soon as the 10 series came out, it feels like it lost a ton of grunt

Probably won't buy Nvidia again. I didn't believe the people saying that Nvidia gimps their older cards. I still don't believe they gimp them, but I do think that they no longer give a fuck about optimizing drivers for them, so they start to suck.

>People with 7970s are still getting by 5 years later.
I swapped out my 2x7970's last month and got a 1080 GTX because they were no longer cutting it for 1440p senpai

I'm the faggot that bought a Fury in august for 350 and shit my pants when they were going for 240 last month. Kinda wishing I'd ponied up for a 1070 but they were mostly 450 at that point. Loving my meme gaming in 1440p but wear headphones on older titles because that fucking coil whine dude.
Still glad I went AMD though, no g-sync tax feels good

Asnc is only useful when ur hardware is inefficient.
Nvidia has no efficacy issues.

DX12 is also complete garbage when it comes to frametimes.

Still using my 6950, soon it's 2x 7950s
Beautiful, cheap, werks

>1070 and 1080 - Tards who fell for the "1440p has a purpose in gaming" meme.

AYYMD doesn't have a single GPU that won't get crippled by it?
Call it a meme!

>tfw using 2500k with a r9 290 I got used for $170 2 years ago
>meanwhile my friends have/are getting 4790k/6700k with 1070s
>we can play most of the same games with the same quality more or less (obviously they'll get better fps, but they're also still using 1080p 60fps panels, so the difference isn't appreciable)

>buying into the Vulkan meme

I just buy the flagship every 2 generations

>970 SLI gives the same performance as a single 970

JUST

No SLI suppport
You fucking moron

>implying cherry-picked benchmarks are valid
>implying Vega is coming out in a contemporaneous time to 10xx
>implying anyone picks a video card to "get by"
The shilling is strong with this one.

>$5 × the 3 year life of your GPU
>$15
Nice math

What's the best RX 480 8GB

>Do you enjoy having to buy a GPU every year? People with 7970s are still getting by 5 years later.
None of AMD's single-GPU cards that are currently out will get close to a 1080 in ~2 years (or rather, ever). I'm not going to be using the card I've got now in 5 years, because it's going to be slow as shit anyway. I was playing games at 1920x1200 in 2012, now I'm running them at 3840x2160, even if the 7970 held out well (and it did, I gave my old 7970 to a friend and he's using it at 1080p) it is still vastly outclassed by current cards.

Saying a 1080 Ti will be faster or that Vega will be faster is rather stupid in the sense that it should be obvious - of course cards that come out a year later are faster. 2017 high-end is faster than 2016, 2018 high-end is going to be faster than 1080Ti and Vega, what's the point of saying something like that?

>I don't understand anybody that bought a 900 or 1000 series GPU.

Maybe they want their games to run well outside the 3 that AMD cards run well.

>Muh Ashes

I know it's shocking user but there are other games outside of Doom and some botnet 10 dx12 console ports and AMD runs like shit in all of them, Doom is truly a diamond in the rough in terms of optimization.