Why does Linux sometimes freeze randomly?

So I've tried many beginner distros over the years and for instance today, I tried Ubuntu MATE on my Chinkpad in live mode.

I was just tweaking with the settings a lil bit and I changed the window effects to Compiz or something (which is the cool one with the effects and shit), and the whole thing just froze!

As always the only way to get out of it is to simply press the power button for couple secs to force the pc to shutdown, cause nothing else works. The cursor moved, but cannot click anything...

ctrl+alt+del = no response

windows key = no response

WTF do u do in these cases?

idk install something that isn't a bloated piece of shit

SSH to your shitbox and kill X.org or the display manager.

Might want to check /var/log/Xorg.0.log for any obvious GPU driver failure while at it.

I use Windows because I like software, but that's not linux' fault, your hardware is shit.

Find what hardware causes it.

Usually a CPU/RAM/GPU.

Well, mate isn't bloated. Works on older hardware too just fine (or should, lol).

I only have Win 7 on this laptop. Never any such issues since 2012. Few BSOD, but not in a loong time.

Driver failure = Linux failure

I don't even know what this gibberish means. I'm no programmer.

If you have a Intel Bay Trail CPU then that's why.

Whatever it is it's 95% hardware failure, even if windows might workaround it more (e.g. a driver might use a piece of hardware less aggressively).

The best course of action as a start is to cause the crash and read the kernel message.

dmesg was the command I think or similar methods. No wait, cat /log/system/log?

I want to smell her

I have:

Intel Core i3 2350M @ 2.30GHz
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

I experienced the same issue, Ubuntu seems to have the tendency to do that. Just use another distro like Debian or Fedora.

She makes me feel weird

>Why does Linux sometimes freeze randomly?

After years of trying to be like windows, linux is finally getting there.

Try using ctrl alt backspace to log out of xserver and be thrown back into login shell. From there you can startx and try again as long as the root filesystem doesn't crash. This is just a vram issue, I think.

>Chinkpad
problem found

>windows key = no response
>pressing the windows key in linux
Of course you'll get no response.

THICK

The Windows key works like alt-tab in Arch for me using GNOME3...

Who is this semen demon

Pantyhose is humanities greatest invention.

22 posts and no one managed to identify the actual problem...

>I tried Ubuntu MATE on my Chinkpad in live mode
>live mode

No. It's Yoga Pants and leggings

You feel weird because you've never seen a female

Uh no, those are garbage.
They take all the delicious subtlety out of pantyhose.

Spotted the virgin

>live mode.
there you have the culprit

used to happen to me as well.

until I installed it, if that's not obvious.

then it stopped happening.

Your system will freeze when you run out of memory.
It could be that you are using too much memory, a part of your memory is not reachable or an application you use have a memory leak (which means it uses more and more memory for some reason).

I personally have a shortcut to xkill and the system monitor.
The system monitor lets you see what is causing it and you can obviously kill it from there.
You can either find out what the hotkey is, change it or add one.

What you're referring to as Linux is, in fact, GNU/Linux.

in that case he may have tried to read something out of dev incorrectly. I got those freezes when calling cat /dev/ with several files while in live mode and that would happen. My mint had a similar lock up on but that was on return from sleep. There was a morefull solution to that but I resorted to ctrl alt backspace to close server.

So what?

That's the way to try a distro casually without doing the virtualbox thing.

kys

*bbbbrrrrrrraaaaapppppp*

Is Sup Forums packed with pubescent 13 year olds?

Figuratively speaking, yes.

>express attraction to a woman
OMG ARE YOU 13? YOU SHOULD BE LIKE US 30 YEAR OLD NECK BEARDS WHO HAVE CAST AWAY WOMEN AND ASCENDED TO FAPPING TO TRAPS
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Linux is developed mostly for servers that don't need keyboard shortcuts or mouse. That's why mice are generally so fucking bad on linux.

Mice? Come again?

>Few BSOD
Definitely hardware broken

Are you stupid? Running it off a disc or USB device is obviously going to be a lot slower than a HDD or SSD.

Yes I know, but it still shouldn't just freeze like that.

Had this happen also on proper HDD installations of Ubuntu on a desktop back in 2009-ish.

Hold Alt + PrtScrn
Then type REISUB

It's the way you express attraction that outs you as a kid(or a pajeet). If you use a tech related pun I wouldn't even look twice.

read the goddamn system logs

Go back to fapping to traps and leave us straight folk alone homo

I'm surprised how many people don't know this.
Ctrl+alt+F5
Or any other F-key
This switches to a different virtual terminal.
Then switch back to to your original tty.

Compiz using 3D effects is what killed your X. Laptop probably can't handle it. You most likely maxed out everything thinking it could.

This
It's probably just your shitty de, if switching vty doesn't work then it is probably some hardware fuckup

underrated post

>Has chinkpad with Linux
>Can't troubleshoot shit
Just install Windows, you stupid Sup Forumsfag

AMD