Browsers

Give me the lowdown here. I don't know a whole lot about browsers or anything, and I'm curious to learn. What are the best browsers to use, why are they the best, yadda yadda yadda.

Other urls found in this thread:

qt.io/qt5-5/
blog.qupzilla.com/2016/03/qupzilla-200-released-with-qtwebengine.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Firefox is slow but has better addons and overall customizability. Chrome is faster, but has less addons and there's the botnet meme also.

Edge is nice but needs a lot of work still.

Chropera/Vivaldi are decent enough.

Firefox ESR because it's Firefox without the latest bullshit

Pale Moon, because it's a fork of Firefox before it went full retard.

fuck off

no

>Edge is nice
Hory shet, are you really that retarded?

latest bulllshit??

red pill me on the brave browser

ungoogled-chromium, because it's fast as fuck and ungoogled.

Pale moon is my favorite.

It's like firefox, but you can rice it to hell and back.

if you're on arch, Inox is working wonderfully for me.

WebKit Nightly for macOS

Firefox Nightly for Wangblows

OP here, what's good about Firefox Nightly over just regular Firefox?

They are all multiple tens of millions of dollar software products with roughly equivalent performance.

You really can't go wrong with any of them.

Firefox is probably the best because it's actually Foss and doesn't rely on nonfree binaries or Google services.

Virtually every other browser is a shitty fork of chromium code base and chromium sucks dong at anything other than web standards and JavaScript performance.

What do you mean by un googled?

Google spyware and meta data and ad analytics removed
Firefox has a download checker through 3rd party, pocket built it, browse with a friend

I doubt you can rice it any more than proper Firefox, seeing that half the addons don't even work on Pale Meme.

Think of it as an even more beta version than the beta. You get new features as soon as they're first added to the browser, but you also risk encountering new bugs (most of which would get fixed before the changes roll to beta or final version, few weeks later). Don't believe those who say "omg it's so much faster", don't bother with it.

It's the pioneering test version. It gets all the new features first, but it's also much less stable. However, it seems to be pretty stable right now, so people are shilling it hard. The next update might make it completely unusable, of course.

Firefox: Most customizable, cares a lot about user privacy, developed by a non-profit. Not as secure or fast as Chrome.

Chrome: Fastest, most secure, questionable privacy practices. Reduced customizability and addon power compared to Firefox. Developed by Google.

Possibly look into "Ungoogled Chromium" if you're concerned about privacy.

Vivaldi: Similar performance and security to Chrome (based on same codebase), intended to provide many features natively instead of relying on 3rd party addons. More customizable than Chrome, but still less than Firefox. Less mature than other browsers. ??? on privacy.

Developed by some ex-Opera employees who (while at Opera) innovated a lot of core browser usability features common to Firefox and Chrome.

Edge: ok, but there isn't really a compelling reason to use it over the others.

Pale Moon, Waterfox, Brave, K-Meleon, etc: Meme browsers or placebos, don't waste your time.

Addendum: Firefox is catching up to Chrome in performance, so we might see it getting close to par in late 2017/early 2018. Google obviously has a lot more resources to throw at this than a non-profit, so it's unlikely Firefox will ever quite keep up/surpass them.

Firefox or Opera.

a chrome knock-off built by douche bags who steal revenue from publishers.

ungoogled chromium is master race

>firefox
>cares about user privacy

Don't use Chrome. It unnecessarily uses up a shit ton of memory

I use "UC Browser" for windows. Replaced chrome for me.

What's the verdict on Vivaldi, chromium based and theme options allow for sweet night modes

Can't you just use Chrome and add Ghostery?

Tech illiterates please I prefer Firefox but there's no need to misinform people about their options. If you don't understand extremely basic things about browser technology then don't post your bad opinions.

It's ok.

To accomplish what? Ghostery doesn't block Chrome's telemetry and doesn't really offer anything compelling over uBlock + anti-tracking filter lists, in fact it's pretty much explicitly inferior to uBlock.

I wouldn't get nightly. Get aurora.
It goes nightly, aurora, beta, regular release.
Aurora gets lots of updates, but it usually always stable. I trust it more than nightly.

Just use Chrome like every other normie. It's more secure and less easier to fuck up.

Chrome plus google opt out extension
Ungoogled chromium
Iridium

>less easier

Chinese botnet.

How long are you going to parrot the "IE is bad" meme? It hasn't been true since 2012.

brave cause its light weight, has built in https, and has technologies to block internet finger printing

Ungoogled Chropera when?

alright, here we go.

Firefox: This browser is good in the sense that it's foss, has a ton of great addons, and is very customizable. The downside is that it's kind of slow.

Pale Moon: Same pros as above, but it's VERY light on system resources. Only use this if you're going to be running it on a pc with very terrible specs.

Chrome: closed source google botnet, but it's pretty fast and supports pretty much everything. If you care about privacy don't go anywhere near this.

Brave: Shitty meme browser than lets admakers pay the devs so you can't block them.

Firefox Nightly: This is honestly the best one to use. I've tested this out against chrome and in the past couple of months or so (ever since e10s has rolled out and a few other improvements) they are equal in terms of speed. Other than speed, ff gains the edge because of privacy, customizability, and addon support.
And from my experience, I've been using nightly since september of last year and not once have I had a crash.

Ungoogle chromium: Probably the best browser to use if you really need to use a chrome-ish browser for whatever reason. It's open source and has all the google telemetry crap taken out of it. This is also a good choice, but it loses to ff nightly in terms of customizability.

Nothing else is really worth using.

>Firefox Nightly
>privacy

Even in nightly you can disable all the telemetry.

anything with qtwebengine

qt.io/qt5-5/

blog.qupzilla.com/2016/03/qupzilla-200-released-with-qtwebengine.html

i like ff but i cant stand the sjw and feminist "victimization" propaganda
i wonder if this would have happened if eik was still around

Why do the developers matter at all?
You don't need to hear them in order to use Firefox. You're also not paying them to support them.
Personally I think it's silly to bring politics into this. I pick the products I use based on how well it works, not based on the political viewpoints of the developers.