who /homeserver/ here? post your specs and talk about your networking

Other urls found in this thread:

ark.intel.com/products/71074/Intel-Celeron-Processor-G1610T-2M-Cache-2_30-GHz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>she'll never eat you

just bought a HP Proliant DL360 G7
-single Xeon E5620
-12 GB ram

going to run pfSense on it and use it as a router.

my question is, how does the router -> switch connection work? i'm assuming that i'll need at least two rj45 ports on the router, one for the incoming connection from my cable modem, and one connected to the switch.

Same old PE T620 (2x 2660v1 192GB RAM, 1x 120GB SSD - OS, 4x 500GB SSD - Cache, 12x 3TB spindle - Data)

Not just running Plex.

New for 2017:
3x PE R620 (2x 2660 v1 / 192GB RAM / 8x 200GB SSD / 24x 2TB HDD (in 2 MD1200's / QDR Infiniband interconnects)

All the new stuff was had for less than $1200.

repurposed a used HP workstation

uses:
plex
file server
video encoding

would like to add nextcloud in the near future

Harsh

I'm looking to do something similiar with an old laptop

Which would be better, an i7 3820, or a Xeon X5650? I can get one of the 2 for $40 AUD
Also, what would be a decent amount of memory, 24-32GB or so?
And lastly, I have 3x1TB (currently using about 2.2TB) in my computer; if I were to move a lot of the shows, movies, games, etc. to it, what would be a decent amount of storage, and is it worth it to have SSD for OS?

I build a low cost, low energy server using an Asrock AD2550-ITX. It has a fraction of the performance you normally see from builds of other anons but it can easily cope with the tasks I assigned it to.

* CPU: Intel Atom D2550, 1.86 GHz dual core
* RAM: 1x 2GB DDR3
* Storage: 2x 3TB in RAID 1, 3TB for backup, 2.5" 250GB for OS (needs only 4GB actually).

It runs:
* Debian Jessie without systemd
* samba
* transmission
* lighttpd
* mysql
* OpenVPN
* Owncloud
* KSP server
* Mopidy (streams to raspberry pi connected to DAC & amp)
* Duplicity for remote backup exchange with co-worker

best emma

HP NL40 ProLiant (customized RAID card)...tiny fanless 9TB server. Shared over the network for multiple computers -- and have Plex running to access my library from across the world. Also acts as a torrent leecher.

Nigga wut?

Intel i3-6100
Supermicro X11SSL-F
Crucial 8GB DDR4-2400 EUDIMM
~40TB of storage in Seagate HDDs (backed up of course in a separate location)

recycled hp laptop
1.2ghz celeron
512MB RAM

print servers, wins server and backup DNS server
run widows server 2003

What's a good setup for a household of up to about 10 people? There's a minimum of about 4TB worth of movies, games, shows, etc. that could be accessed from it, and would want a smooth experience if possible.
What kinda specs should I be looking at for something like this?

Why does Emma Stone looks like she just ate a sour grape or something

Maybe because she did just eat a sour grape?

At least that's what you need.

Shit nigga, even google doesn't know.

spec = raspberry pi 3
mate (headless)
ntfs
comfy

you can make make headless/not headless with
1 command .. the comfy

raspberry pi 3
powered usb stuck into it

I would use at least some kind of RAID. Also 10 people requesting data from a Pi with a 100 MBit/s connection and a USB HDD will be unsatisfactory to say the least.

Old HP motherboard
Athlon II 240u
20GB 1333 MHz DDR3
4x 4TB hard drives in ZFS
FreeNAS

HP Micro Server
2TB x1
1TB x3

OMV, it does okay, its underpowered so I might link it up with my old i7 laptop to do plex and other services

Im a noob to this, I have an extra windows desktop that I occasionally run game servers on. a8-3800k, 8gb ram, 500 GB hdd. What other things can I do with this? Show me the light pls

two shitty old 9th gen dells run my crap

sucks to be europoor, here in my country people think even older equipment than mine are worth hundreds, its sad

glad i dont pay the power those two fuckers use, they work but they are old shit and eat lots of power, but cant afford anything newer and prices are ridiculous here so i'll keep probably using them till they fail

also on ebay i do find some pretty nice deals on G6 etc. servers sometimes, but almost everything newer than mine for a great price uses fucking 2.5 drives

its literally worthless for me, i dont have more than only one 2.5 laptop drive lying around, my all drives are 3.5 so i would have to still keep my old shit running for storage if i would upgrade

god i hate these rack servers, i think i should build a whitebox next time, these things have way too much price here and are rare. i mean fuckers think a fucking PE1850 is worth over 100€ here while thats what i should get for taking a one

HP Microserver G8

Has:
>Dual-core Celeron 2.3 GHZ
>4GB RAM
>4TB WD Red
>1TB WD Blue (from my desktop)
>120GB Kingston SSD in the OD bay

Runs:
>Debian Jessie
>DNSmasq for DNS caching and DHCP
>qbittorrent
>NFS
>SMB
>Full Dropbox offline archive
>WOL (if it senses my phone on the home N/W, it WOLs my desktop PC)

I'm pretty satisfied with it.

my home server is Juanita and I think she's mexican.

What do you use it for that makes it underpowered? Do you run SQL databases?

I7 4770k
32gb ram
Full SSd
But 25/10 JUST

>Celeron
Stopped reading there. Has no place in a server.

>2x 6950x on a dual socket mobo
>2x titan xp in sli
>128gb 4200mhz ram
>2x 512gb nvme samsung 950 pro m.2 ssd
>4x 2tb sata 3 samsung 850 evo ssd

>2x 6950x
????

I ended up with an extra i5 2500k w/ 16GB ram. I bought a used AIO off Ebay and overclocked it to 4.2Ghz. Bought a cheap raid/sata pcie card off Ebay as well. Running six 2TB HGST drives. I'm running Unraid.

>Nextcloud (calendar photo video and file syncs for mobile devices : currently 10 personal devices)
>Plex Media Server (handles photo/video syncs and streams to around 15 mobile devices and six homes not including mine)
>Mobile app cache (stores apps for manual installation on our mobile devices No google services or similar botnets are allowed)
>Sab
>Sonarr
>Couchpotato
>Headphones

That's about it currently. I've been eyeballin' Xeon workstations and used servers to replace it.

Plex encoding, its a dual core amd something, its weak.

Forgot to add that torrents are handled by Transmission. Routers are two RT N56u's and a RT n66u. All have third party firmware (merlin etc). OpenVPN for mobile/wireless. Different OpenVPN for electronics like the "smart" TV's and appliances like Roku's. PiA is primary VPN for torrents and Usenet.

Old Supermicro Chassis
Sandy-Bridge E3-1230
16GB ECC Ram
2x 3TB HGST's in Raid 1

I use it to stream plex in my home and that's about it. I have a newer E3-1270v5 that I colocate in a datacenter a few miles down the road that serves all my real needs (websites and game servers mostly) since my home connection is not reliable and power is very expensive here.

DS416Play. File/backup server, VPN server, SickRage, homebridge, seedbox.

she'd make the perfect Asuka in a live-action Evangelion movie

My home server is made up of consumer parts, some new some left over:
i5 4570S
12GB DDR3
6x3TB WD Red HDDs

It's running Debian Jessie and hosting:
OpenVPN
Emby
Tomcat 8 - for some Subsonic fork, haven't decided what exactly yet
apcupsd - it shuts down automatically if there's a power outage
rtorrent
nginx for rutorrent and apcupsd
TS3
Samba
mdadm RAID6 for the HDDs

Nothing fancy in terms of networking, all I've got is an Asus AC68U router and some noname Gbit switch. I've been recently fucking with VLANs, ebtables and iptables on the router in order to firewall one of the LAN ports, I need a WPA/TKIP network for some older hardware that doesn't do WPA2/AES and I don't want that shit on my LAN since it's deprecated and there are some known attacks against it.

bananapi, hdd
Backups
Torrents
Webserver
Tor-bridge
Web/Caldav
XMPP server

i7-6700 20GB Win10 + Gentoo on HyperV
GTX 750 ti

plex, flexget, ssh, transmission

Really would like to use something other than Plex I don't like relying on a third party to be able to stream my own content.

1x Lenovo RS140
2x Dell C2100
1x Dell C6100

One of the C2100s runs FreeNAS. All the rest run ESXi. All servers have two headed 10gig connections for storage and inband traffic. FreeNAS has four headed 10gig connection. OoB traffic is layer 1 separated and 1gig.

Lots of subnets and vLans for doing things. Sold my Gnodal switch and 40gig NICs.

Yep. Same deal here. I have a bunch of TPLink gigabit switches I bought off craigslist for around 5 bucks a pop. Using three out of six of them at the moment. They're the smaller five port models that are like 20ish new anyways. Good times.

Nortel 5510s are monster switches with up to 48 ports that do everything you'd want from a switch and they're $50 now. There's lots of places to get the newest firmware to add layer 3 support and stack cables with 160Gbps bandwidth are cheap.

Hardware:
Supermicro X8DT3
2x Xeon E5620
24 GB ECC DDR3
Switch is some old dlink router

Software:
Windows Server 2016
Plex media server
transmission
mumble
Debian netinst in HyperV VM for docker
Debian in HyperV VM for random linux related shit

fun fact: got the server with noted parts for ~100$ on ebay

get more ram

I've got some Air Live switch, I honestly have never heard of them before but it handles Gbit throughput just fine, so it's enough for me.

I'll look those up, having something more capable definitely wouldn't hurt for $50, though most of the ports would go unused. In terms of VLANs and firewalling - I did manage to get the router set up as I wanted it, since it's just Linux in the end and the built-in switch is configurable.

hp dl585g6 128gig ram esxi 6.5
right now qnap as storage
gonna switch to freenas with 14hdds and ssd caching

Why not?

ark.intel.com/products/71074/Intel-Celeron-Processor-G1610T-2M-Cache-2_30-GHz
>ECC Memory Supported: Yes

All you need is something stable and reliable that suits your needs. For a home server, that CPU is pretty decent.

nice space heater
I assume you don't have to pay for power yourself

xpnology

Hey guys, is there any way to configure one IP address in network to have different domain names?
I have dnsmasq as a server and linux PCs as clients. Dnsmasq is configured in this way:
local=/loc/
expand-hosts
domain=loc
And on all PCs dhclient is configured in such way:
send host-name "";
With this, I can connect, ping, etc any host by it's .loc. But I need more than one domain name for each server. And I'm using DHCP in network, so I can't just hard-code domain-to-IP relation server-side.
Is there any way to achieve that I want?
Sorry for asking this here, but /wsr/ seems to be dead

I didn't know microservers ever came with AMD processors/chipsets.

She looks like Lexi Belle with black hair

I'm using a really old netbook with a headless Debian installed.
Its pretty shit, but its enough to use it for torrenting, Plex, samba, lampp, etc. I also host games on it every now and then to play with my little sisters.
I also use it as a VPN server, so I feel at home no matter where I am as long as I have my notebook with me.

This guy knows

She's so sweet I need a mug of insulin just to look at this gif

she's a leftist cunt.

Emma Stone = disgusting on the outside and on the inside.