/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

muff.co.uk/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you have a picture of your watch being worn from a straight on angle, please feel free to post it along with your wrist size, diameter of the watch and lug-to-lug of the watch. Because it comes up so frequently I'll try and compile a small collection of images of wrist-size and lug-to-lug length combinations that can be used for reference, rather than simply telling people that they should be looking at smaller watches.

If you're not sure how to measure your wrist, you can take a flexible tape measure, or just use a piece of string and wrap it around your wrist, then measure the length of the string required to circle your wrist.

Wrist size should be in inches, lug-to-lug and diameter should be in mm.

Thanks.

Example image of a straight on photo with measurements recorded.

I'll look to compile these images into some sort of easily browsed format or master images.

No, it looks/feels really quality, but there's only a choice of two micro-adjustment holes. So it's either pinching tight or slipping down over my wristbone.
I keep adding and removing links, hoping vainly to get it perfect.

Thanks, its actually an SNKL23 on a Hirsh Crocograin. SARB033 is a bit harder to find where I am so I made do.

>
>Longines
They seem to fuck up a lot of their reissues with date windows but at least they didn't with pic attached. The brand as a whole seems like a lazy way for the Swatch group to print some money with a lot of rehashes from an actually great and interesting history. Pretty sad in a lot of ways. Like a much better Hamilton in that sense?

very nice, and the Hirsch is a nice touch

quite so. this is the same sentiment I keep getting about Longines. sad, with their rich history.

>what is a social active lifestyle on the beach all summer brah

What are the best to worst Seiko divers regardless of price?

Subjectively, the one you like the most. Objectively, Grand Seiko Spring Drive diver.

Yeah fair call how about I rephrase, what are all of your favourite Seiko divers?

Or how about favourite diver in general?

Don't own a Seiko diver. I had an SKX007, but it broke within a week. I'd love an original Samurai.

These ones

muff.co.uk/

>muff.co.uk/
im cumming

Do you think it's better to buy a beautiful watch with a great movement or a great watch with a beautiful movement?

>That name
Unbelievable. Or is this a British-ism only, incomprehensible to Americans?

With the only real question is if you can buy a beautiful woman with a beautiful movement...

>damn

This is why I wear nothing but 1 piece straps

RIP in pieces.

Alot of times you can pick up a stock rubbers strap on ebay from somebody who took it off for a bracelet or nato. Try that for $20 rather than some chinkshit.

I don't think anyone who owns a Hamilton Khaki is deluded into thinking it's anything more than a decent tool watch with an ETA movement in it.

I quite like mine on a steel bracelet and I didn't pay very much for it at all.

>Or how about favourite diver in general?
Vintage Tudor sub with snowflake hands and blue dial and bezel.
Failing that, Tudor BB red, ETA movement.

Why is the Bulova superior to the Omega?

It has an exceptional dial, case styling is more utilitarian looking, more "spacelike". Actually related to timekeeping on spacemissions unlike omega. Not overpriced since its sold under msrp. More honest since they admit its an replica unlike omega which are also made fully in china.

so i've been slowly building up my Sub $500 collection over the last few years, and it's time for me to step up. I'm thinking of starting with a nice Seamaster, leaning towards this one, whats the best way to go about finding a reasonable second hand one?

>Actually related to timekeeping on spacemissions unlike omega.
Like the 14 second burn required to save the astronauts on board Apollo 13?

You know they do those snoopy edition speedmasters because NASA awarded them a silver snoopy for that, right?

>Not overpriced since its sold under msrp
What? You can easily buy them under MSRP. Also simply selling at under MSRP doesn't, itself, tell you if something is well priced.

>more "spacelike".
Oh what the hell am I reading. Did you put that in quotes as a freudian slip way of admitting it's ridiculous?

You need to get over the speedmaster thing and stop trying to validate your own purchases to yourself thru this shitposting.

Where's the crown?

I prefer originals to copies.

What watch is Adam Savage from Mythbusters wearing? Is it dogshit?

Holy shit, the Speedmaster looks so much better.
Fuck off with your replica.

>Like the 14 second burn required to save the astronauts on board Apollo 13?
Surely they couldn't have done this with a Casio.

Depends on the watch.

>Holy shit, the Speedmaster looks so much better on those fancy shots even though it really looks like shit
So does the Bulova.

>muh space watches
KeK.

It's a seamaster chrono.

>Wrist size should be in inches
>lug-to-lug and diameter should be in mm.

Fucking Americans I swear.

Considering Casio hasn't made a watch until 4 years after Apollo 13, I'm sure they would have had trouble doing that with a Casio, yes.

Bulova was incharge of timekeeping on moonlandings, the actual everyday useful timekeeping, and remember, the Omega is the First and Only Watch to break on the Moon(tm).

We all know the speedy is ovepriced, in recent years the price has skyrocketed. The Bulova is still almost 10times cheaper new and that is not only because it is a quartz, there are plenty of mechanical chronos umder 1000€.

Freudian slipped his cock up your ass, its a simple way to exclaim "spacelikeness" is not the key feature but the utilitarian look of it. Hence the spacelikeness.

Im not trying to validate, just want some discussion and shed some light on the Bulova since Omega is SO overhyped, its essentially a chinese mech chrono nowadays and its quality speaks for itself.

Planet ocean chrono maybe

But the speedmaster IS a replica too, different movement, different box with MUH space nostalgia kit. And made in china not swiss.

Still looks better.

Literally not a replica when it's made by the same company.

What's a good minimalist watch with (near) complete Arabic numbers?

I was eyeing the Stowa Flieger no logo and the GG-W-113.

I'd like to avoid any complications, even the Date window since they usually make things all asymmetric. An exception of this would be the Hamilton Jazzmaster Thinline Quartz, I'd consider it if I was okay with a quartz.

What's the best looking Breitling, /wt/?

>minimalist
Minimalism is a meme.

I'm looking for a watch with no complications. Even the date window ruins it for me, especially if it replaces/overlaps/nudges a number.

>Im not trying to validate
Fakeball is the most insecure tripfag of all time.

Well make it a Seiko then, they had quartz timers at the 1964 olympics already.

Casio MQ24

I'm looking for an automatic watch with replaceable straps.

Maybe Laco Flieger Typ A?

Scheißhart Nav B-Uhr 47 Automatic

Kek, why does it look identical to Stowa Flieger? Thank you for the suggestions.

>47mm

Is that hueg?

I think the aerospaces look great

It's fuckhuge.

>disdain for manlets

I'm looking for a moderately sized watch. I have a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date 36mm, I find it a tad bit small, so I'm guessing 42mm is a good size for me?

Try something that's 38/39mm then.

I personally wouldn't go higher than 42-43mm. Preferred is within 38-42mm for me.
I'm 6'4 and with a relatively large built.

42 is a lot bigger than 36.
Try 38 or 39.

But its not even the same company you goofball, just as much as Bulova is...

Im speaking of experience since Im probably the only here ever to own both moon watches.

you are not

Anyone have a Mako USA II? How do you like it?

I have a Ray which is essentially the same watch, and it's great.

Still going strong

This lighting made me look fucking pink though.

Well who other owns the Bulova?

You would think it'd last longer than a couple days.

>tfw I got complimented on my Omega Geneve by a random person sitting across my table during some celebration

What watch was he wearing

shame i can't be fucked reading analog clocks

it was Seiko chronograph but i dont remember the model.
It had red thing on the bezel and it was pretty fat with metal strap.

I meant my opinion on it. Some people in the thread tried a little too hard to convince me I had made a mistake but y'know, watch snobs

>shilling on the net
>shilling on Sup Forums
>shilling on Sup Forums with a tripcode
>shilling on Sup Forums with a tripcode imitating a furry

Do all Bulova owners have sad and meaningless lives like yours?

>pic related, it's the watch you couldn't afford

Thinking the same user, ebay is a hit and miss. Chrono24 seems safe, or alternatively find local deals that way you can see your product beforehand

A hot nurse student took my blood pressure for a work physical yearly test.

Her hotness was not why I failed, it was the fucking DANIEL WELLINGTON SHIT WATCH ON HER FUCKING DELICATE CUTE HAND REEEEE

Girls can wear whatever they want, it's not like gold diggers actually appreciate the movements inside their diamond crusted Rolexes

My girls will wear what I command them to wear

how fucking big is that watch? 60mm?

>those snoopy edition speedmasters
The Snoopy version made sense if only because it has a white face.

A black face as the MOTM and the Bulowa will absorb the 1.4 KW/sqm radiation in space with practically no way of dissipating it. That would heat the watch rather quickly and would probably be rather damaging given a few cycles.

Im looking for cute watches.
> No disney
> Has to be mechanical
> Vintage

I do.

and because of that, no Wristwatch with a dark dial was ever worn on a EVA, got it.

Does it actually feel decently solid and well finished? The Aqua Terra bracelet I handled felt like a flimsy, chintzy joke honestly.

Honestly, I'm truly baffled that anyone can find that Omega anything other than hideous. Also, can't you get a second hand Tudor for similar money?

62mm, and its only 800 dollars

Buying something else instead.

It looks cool IRL, and the black version is nice and modern. Very nice materials and colors.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH you are the buthurt faggot that got asspained that no one complimented his MOTFM aren't you? You are literally so analky devastated with sellers remorse for it and buyers remorse for the Bulova shitwatch that you cannot help shitposting up a storm about it.

Fucking KEK the cognitive dissonance is delicious!

>women
>anything other than a thin rectangle watch on a bracelet

Enjoy your whores.

Ive seen your mothers thin rectangle

This man is correct
But only because I saw my grandma wear a watch like that

On my bracelet

Is there a practical reason for using a mechanical watch for scuba diving?

no
next question

I guess redundancy is one reason.

Easy to set timings for limits and stops in an easily understandable way with the rotating bezel

when your dive computer fails, it's time to surface

reminder that only neanderthals wear watches

You don't need the time during the ascent?