/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Continuing Kaby Lake Awareness Edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a Kaby Lake system

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/
>OUTDATED CPU RECOMMENDATIONS (no mention of Kaby Lake)
>Consider substituting an i5 7500 for the i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B150/B250 or H110/H210 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Great" tier build

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/vjPKkT
pcpartpicker.com/list/dgDkzM
pcpartpicker.com/list/JQCFHN
pcpartpicker.com/user/Saski64/saved/4zrzK8
pcpartpicker.com/list/b48bcc
pcpartpicker.com/list/q8KKkT
amazon.com/dp/B01DHTWZRQ/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Kaby Lake has been released! Skylake is depreciated if corresponding chips are similarly priced (e.g., i5 7600K vs i5 6600K)!
>Some motherboards will have a one-click, 5GHz on air OC button that works for 80% of i5 7600Ks
>100 series chipsets (Z170, B150, ect) don't work out of the box with Kaby Lake
>Z series chipsets have an "Enhanced Turbo" under XMP, which allows all cores to run at the highest single core boost clockspeed (works for Skylake CPUs as well)
>Pentiums now have hyperthreading, and are thus the new default budget / entry level gaming CPUs
>Pentium G4560 is the best price / perf four thread CPU on a modern platform
>All Kaby Lake CPUs work natively with 2400MHz DDR4 memory
>Do not underestimate the impact of fast (>2400, e.g, 3000MHz) RAM in conjunction with a Z series chipset, which often provides as much of a performance boost as a CPU overclock

pcpartpicker.com/list/vjPKkT

You could probably spend less on the mobo but otherwise looks good

>looks good
the point of the mobo tbqh, I originally planned to get the MSI Krait 3X, it's a better deal

What are some reasonably priced silent or near silent fans? (120mm)

I have a 980 ti, but I plan on given it up to a friend. Should I get the gtx 1080 or wait for Vega?

Wait for vega or wait til the 1080 ti releases.

Vega will likely have a similar perf as the 1080, but the 1080Ti will likely be released in a couple months. You could get the EVGA 1080 and use the step up program to get the 1080Ti if you play your cards right. You better have at least a 1440p monitor though

I probably plan on doing this. Does EVGA actually honor this plan and how does it work exactly?

Check their website, but basically if a better card come out within three months of your purchase of the current champ, you can upgrade for the cost difference or something

Noctua are god's gift

pcpartpicker.com/list/dgDkzM
Gaming build, budget of $2750, going for 1440p/144Hz. The first two things I'll upgrade are SSD and GPU, other than that I'm hoping it'll last a while. I'm in US btw. The sound card, I want because audiophile. My questions are:
How long will this last? (-GPU&SSD)
How can I improve it?
Am I wasting money on meme parts?
Is the sound card + headset not good with sound quality? I have Shure earphones but want overear headphones for gaming, so I'm looking for good headset, I'll raise total budget to $3,000 for better sound.

Didn't mean to reply to iust wanted to post. whoops

>how long will it last
likely longer than you need it for

>how can i improve it
remove the fan controller, because those can hook to the motherboard. and someone is going to tell you that those fans are crap (even though i think they're awesome too). and with that big case you don't really need a liquid cooler unless you want one to clean up the inside, a metal heatsink with fans can do the job. But the Pro5 can hold 6 fans if you remove all bays. 3 in the front, 2 on top, and 1 in the back. But if you put 3 in the front then you lose access to both of your 5.25" slots, so just something to keep in mind.

But realistically it looks pretty good. Expensive, but everything is good quality.

>How long will this last?
Hard to say w/o being able to tell the future
>How can I improve it?
By doing more research on the audio aspect.
>Am I wasting money on meme parts?
Yes. The cooler, the fan controller, the sound card and the headset.
>Cooler
There are better coolers for cheaper, even if you want to stick w/ AIO. I'll make a part list for you in a lil bit that should be better.
>Fan controller
waste of money
>Sound card and headset
The mobo can power 600 Ohm headphones and has decent enough signal to not really need a DAC, so sound card is a waste. The headset is a meme gaymer headset. Go ask questions in a /hpg/ (headphones general) thread on here. They'll help you find something good for the money.

And ofc, the fans are meme gaymer rgb but I understand people's subjective taste in aesthetics so it's up to you.
Here's the list: pcpartpicker.com/list/JQCFHN

Are those GPU temps normal at idle? It's the first time I get a multi GPU build and I have no idea if it's within the norms

Yeah, I'd say they're normal.

why do you hate RGB so much?

>CF 290s
>1080p
m8. Sell them, buy a GTX1070 and a 1440p monitor

Because I liked RGBs when I was 15 and I hate my 15-year-old self, tbqh. But other than that, it's not RGB that I hate, it's the fact that people focus more on pretty colors than performance. Same reason people hate faggots who put spoilers and shiny rims on their cars.

It's a temporary monitor.

>spoilers and shiny rims on cars

i can see that. but it's more like different brands of air filters or exhaust rather spoilers or shiny rims. you'll get a lot of air coming through a K/N filter, but that's because the mesh is a bit looser so you'll also get a lot of particulates, but they look cool so everyone buys them. same with flowmasters, they have awful flow but they sound cool so even though you're not getting the max amount of power that you could with a more effective catback, you're still getting the sensation.

RGB fans still do the job, still spin, still pump air, but they might be a bit louder and more ostentatious, but sometimes a person has got to learn a lesson for themselves.

That's why I said "I understand people's subjective taste in aesthetics," personally, I'd go with some Noctua industrial fans cause muh CFM, but again, that's up to you, and it isn't even a major part of the build, so don't worry about it. Go check out /hpg/ threads, like I said. That'll do more for you than arguing with me about RGBs.

i'm not headphones guy, just someone else that got assblasted because of subjective matters. but i see where you're coming from.

>Same reason people hate faggots who put spoilers and shiny rims on their cars.
Only chrome and nigger rims

>guy i work with had this on his 350z

eww, that's atrocious unless he is deliberately trying to blind people.

My rig from 2 and a half year ago. well atm i got a fx-8320 for 20€ and a couple of more hdd's and a PNY 120gb ssd.

pcpartpicker.com/user/Saski64/saved/4zrzK8

Trying to lower price and optimize for 1080p at 60hz yet make it upgradeble to 1440p by adding a second card, also thinking of getting 16gb of ram

Should I switch the 1070 for a 480 8gb?

BD drive is for my BD collection.

what are you asking? do you want to upgrade? did you do well? what?

well what could i improve is what i wanted to ask. retarded me forgot to put in there

obv i could upgrade the GFX but it still is going strong with what im doing (just playing games and photoshop at most)

You could get another processor, don't know if it'd be worth it. More ram wouldn't hurt. Maybe a newer GPU.

It's already good enough for 1440p, dude.
Here's an improved list: pcpartpicker.com/list/b48bcc
Changed the GPU to nearly identical one that looks better and already has an OC on it. Got cheaper storage, added 16GB RAM. Cheaper price, better performance.

I know, Im just trying to make it more a 1080 machine that COULD be upgraded to 1440 If I wanted to.

I had to reduce my budget since Im quitting my part time job soon

the cpu atm is going strong with a 4,2 oc the gpu if i oc it with that factory oc on top of that it crashes. so thought about getting a 1080 on the summer sale... and ddr3 ram i can find that on the cheap so no problem there. tho since im not that fond of Intels pricing to performance coming to CPU's, do you recommend getting one of the zen one's when they are purchasable or am i having high hopes of low prices

Just upgrade the GPU and RAM, CPU should be fine if you're happy with it. Once Zen comes out, the prices for Skylake will probably fall, so wait and see.

Do you want it even cheaper? If so, by how much?

Wouldn't a 1080 bottleneck on that build?

most likely thats why i think of maybe getting a zen cpu. depends on how they price them if it really is not in my range i might just get a 1070 or something from amd

Under 1000 if possible, hence why Im looking into a 480

Probably will, but it doesn't hurt to have an OP GPU if he's planning to upgrade his CPU later on, which he says he is.

Do you really need that ODD? Also, a cheaper case might help. You can also go with 1x8GB RAM right now and add another one when you have more money.

this was meant for

That's stupid though, a single card can power 1440p 60hz for a good price, and SLI is fucking retarded
I never understood all these new builders getting a halfassed card (or a new one) and planning to "get another to upgrade down the line". It doesn't scale like that, 90% of games literally won't even use the second card, and more often than not it ends up being more expensive than if you'd sold when you upgrade or just have gotten a good card in the first place

this

pcpartpicker.com/list/q8KKkT

omfg. this was meant for . Disregard

I don't think b150 can use 2400mhz ram

we all have those days

that is irrelevant. it's literally $1 more than the 2133mhz equivalent, and you can "utilize" the remaining 267mhz if you get a new mobo sometime in the future.

I have to "wake up" in 5 hours and I haven't finished homework for my math course, yet I'm helping out people plan their PCs on a Mongolian clay pottery forum. This is entirely my fault.

>Mongolian clay pottery forum
kek, putting my kek's aside, uni?

nah, too poor. Community college. Finished their EMT program, but I'm waiting for some IDs to come in, so taking Gen. Ed for now

But a b150 doesn't leave much room to upgrade from a 6500, by the time the CPU will need replacing there will probably be a new specific standard of ddr4. In the meantime he can try and save $10 by getting the cheapest stock 2133mhz oem ram he can find
He's trying to budget

It's an Armenian cockfighting wiki, get your facts straight

Would an i7 3820, 16GB 1600MHz memory, and a 4GB 960 be decent for a gayming computer?
Trying to find cheaper used parts for a gaming/rendering system for my brother

>Kaby Lake Awareness

I'm aware it's shit, and requires fucking Windows 10.

>cheapest stock ram
The cheapest RAM is $2 less than what I listed...

So why not get 2x4GB and have dual channel? He can still use his $40 of ram if he does happen to upgrade his CPU and motherboard

That's infinity chan
see pic
because it costs more

Is it worth paying ~$60 more for a z270 board just for the faster ram and more I/O or would I be fine with a much cheaper B250 board?

Or just stick with Z170, don't force yourself to join the botnet.

2x4GB ram costs exactly $1 more, and you get dual channel
Sounds a lot better than $2 more, and you get "futureproofing" but no benefits

Cause he wants to get 16GB eventually, and it's simpler (for the user and the pc) to run 2x8 in dual channel than 4x4 in dual channel, since skylake doesnt support quad channel

But it's not simpler it's the exact same difficulty to push in 2 extra sticks to upgrade than to push in 1 extra stick
This isn't an argument, having dual channel right now and forever is.

>it's much simpler for both the user and the PC to use 2 sticks instead of 4
>OH GOD IM RETARDED HOW TO RAM
Also the PC must be retarded and not know how to ram as well

Pushing 2 extra sticks = higher % risk (however small) of something breaking. Also, more physical components means there are more components that can fail. So you pay a bit more for an unnoticeable (to the human) improvement in performance but also a higher risk of component failure.
You are literally retarded.

Any tips on how to reduce computer noise?

What materials do I need to make my case isolated?

I dont want to spend too much on flashy shit if I can do it myself with the same results

any ideas for a better screen for a rx 480? I got pic related (27UD68) but the 480 is slightly shitty at 4k and it will only get worse.

Looking for 1440p or 1080 at the least.

You can turn it off. Other than purchasing a case that has good sound iso, idk.

LG 29UM68-P

Tell me why this is a bad purchase and how am I going to regreat my decission once I buy it

amazon.com/dp/B01DHTWZRQ/

>130€

Is good?

>Asus
>Sub 300$

probably utter shit.

Besides price, they are the same shit isnt it? Or am I missing something?

>That built-in I/O shield
Almost makes the $400 price tag worth it

This is beautiful, but is it worth it?

Acer is supposedly a bit lower quality, but yeah, pretty much.

Sorry the original price tag is 180€

I went ahead with the code series just cause they don't have the WS series out yet and I'm an impatient fucktard.

If you have a hardon for custom cooling rig then the formula is fine, also has additional lighting.

Otherwise you may want to wait for the Apex or Extreme to come out, or look into the Code.

>good for EKWB watercooling loops and shit
>super pretty
>prolly has a buncha nifty features
but on the other hand:
>forced botnet
>$400
up to you, really

I guess if I wanted to save money I could just get a z170 board with 6th gen cpu. The difference in performance is minimal right?

So once Kaby Lake is out every other i7 is going to be cheaper right?

Im a fucking poor fag so this is great news for me

Still waiting for a good GTX 1070 offer, also quick question, why is the GTX1070 Winforce cheaper than the regular?

Yeah, aren't losing anything (significant) and get to keep Win7/8/8.1 support.

Just stick some Noctua fans and you are set

Kaby Lake is already out, and the Skylake chips have dropped a bit in price. Not much, but still makes me happy, being a poorfag as well.

Can't comment on the 1070, I personally want an MSI Quicksilver cause they're so pretty, but they're a bit expensive, and I already have a RX 480.

Im fucking mad my DDR3 32gb is now going to be obsolete....fuck man, this is not the future I choose...

Okay maybe I'll do that then as mobo prices are much cheaper

Yeah, that's also a good factor to keep in mind.

Red pill me on water cooling please, Ive never read more about it because im a fag that always tought thats some voodo stuff, very high end and not necessary

Now im intrigued but im still a fucking newborn, what should I avoid or look at before buying?

Noctuas are overpriced shit, avoid that

>why is the GTX1070 Winforce cheaper than the regular?

Got that for my brothers build, seems to run fine. He did mention that he got a graphical glitch when he first plugged it in at home, bunch of bars on the screen. It cleared after restarting. I think it might be a problem with the shitty 100$ RCA LCD tv screen he's using.

Water cooling in general? You could look into all in one water cooling things that you just attach to your CPU or whatever. Unless you are talking about full loops

What are full loops?

Also any brand I should look at?

When is the best time to buy computer parts?

I want to buy a new pc but I dont know if any big sale is coming soon or if prices are gonna rise

Whats your opinion on that?

For full loops, afaik EKWB is like the goto brand.

Bumb