So, I'm making this post with the new MacBook Pro and so far... I'm loving it...

So, I'm making this post with the new MacBook Pro and so far... I'm loving it. What are some essential apps I should download?

>Already Have home-brew, zsh, Atom, Xcode & git.

Any other recommendations ?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/iCHAIT/awesome-macOS
nixos.org/nix/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

istat menus to monitor your meme levels

also, just how bad is that keyboard?

It honestly isn't that bad, the meme bar is pretty good.

Numi, Rocket (if you use emoji), Flux

install gentoo

Oh, and parallels. Buy the fucking parallels, best thing ever.

Maybe grml config for zsh?

Where do technology illiterate appletoddlers get the false impression that they or their fruity toddler toys are welcome much less belong on a technology board?

miyu worst girl

>BetterSnapTool
>f.lux
>AppCleaner
>Sound Siphon
>Carbon Copy Cloner (or Time Machine)
>Better Zip
>IA Writer
>Little Snitch
>VLC
>OmniDiskSweeper

>Acting like PeeSee companies don't copy Apple

Apple actually innovates you fag, go read some books.

You're literally using the mouse/keyboard cuz of the first Mac in 1984 and Lisa.

>t. mactoddler

No he means the actual keyboard, guy next to me uses the new MBP and the keys have zero travel, I much prefer my 2015 MBP for that reason alone.

This will come in handy OP:
github.com/iCHAIT/awesome-macOS

Where do technology illiterate appletoddlers get the false impression that they or their fruity toddler toys are welcome much less belong on a technology board?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as OS X is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. OS X is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called OS X distributions are really watered-down distributions of GNU/Linux.

>0.5mm travel
>not that bad
You have very low standards, my friend.

Do you do nothing but shitpost in Apple related threads all day? Surely it must get boring copypasting t. Mactoddler thousands of times a day?

- Posted from my Macbook Pro

>t. Mactoddler

>t. Mactoddler

>Using a non FSF-approved distro that doesn't support the 4 freedoms of the user
>paying $1500 for a computer that you could easily get off of ebay for $200, and then put Debian on

-Posted from my $200 PC, using a distro that actually respects my freedom

not sure how i arrange it

finder-missioncontrol-launchpad
or
finder-launchpad-missioncontrol

Finder first always, hotkeys for everything mission control related.

>t. mactoddler

Why would you use anything other than hotkeys or trackpad gestures for mission control and launchpad?

>Using a non FSF-approved distro that doesn't support the 4 freedoms of the user
I use Mac only software

>paying $1500 for a computer that you could easily get off of ebay for $200, and then put Debian on
I paid nothing, my employer purchased it.

>t. mactoddler

VirtualBox

Can you install a distro on it? I use a MBP and a Mac Mini at work and seriously dislike using macOS, and my job is pretty OS-agnostic. Do employers care about that? I don't want to ask until I know if it's an issue.

>Can you install a distro on it?
Easily, yeah.

I don't mean if you know how to do it, I'm asking if your boss would mind since it's technically his computer.

I can do anything I want with it but keeping OS X is a prerequisite as I need Sketch and Creative Cloud, what exactly is it that you dislike about OS X? I've used OS X and Windows for a very long time and both are shit by default, it's the customisation that makes an OS truly good. Can you not just use a different DE with a tiling VM or something? You can make OS X your own really quite easily (I run a Hackintosh too).

I don't see why not. You can always go back to macOS via recovery

I enjoy actually doing thing w/ my computer.

Don't like the lack of decent package management (no, adding homebrew doesn't solve it), don't like a lot of the defaults, don't like the fact that closing a window and minimizing it are almost the same thing, hate the filesystem, don't like Finder at all. I'm not trying to start an argument, if you like macOS that's great, I don't.

What about nixos.org/nix/ for a package manager?

For closing Windows I use Ctrl + Q, with a good Window manager you don't need to interact with the titlebar buttons for any reason.

They're changing the filesystem! I never have any problems with HFS+ but I realise some people have their problems with it.

Xtrafinder adds a lot of functionality to Finder, as well as some useful Windows functionality (Delete key actually deletes, enter to open instead of rename etc etc), give that a shot (though you'll have to disable or partially disable SIP but that's as easy as booting into recovery, opening terminal and pasting one line.

You're very much entitled to your opinion, there are plenty of things I don't like about OS X and I've managed to sort them with enough customisation.

In Linux I can update my entire system with a single command. On macOS a lot of my tools come from homebrew and macports, so I need to keep in mind which package manager is responsible for which package and update them all in a certain order (since for example updating Xcode sometimes breaks homebrew links) and you have to revert that. It's a big hassle and lagging miles behind dnf or pacman. Adding yet another package manager won't solve this since it's a design flaw: you can't add repositories to the default "package manager".
As for AFS I know it's being developed. Until then I'm stuck with this joke of a fs.
My main gripes with finder are having to run a terminal command to see hidden files, no prompt for each individual conflict in a merge and generally being buggy (shows folder empty, ls shows it has files, cat shows they have content).

Ah I see, I haven't really used OS X for anything like that, I rarely use Homebrew personally. Can you create something in automator that updates everything in sequence then bind it to a single command?

Xtrafinder adds a "Open Terminal Here" context option which you may find useful.

Paste defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES to change hidden files/folders globally.

Back to your containment board.

Agreed. Apple is a fashion product that does not belong on a tech board.

>Doesn't like something
>Instead of hiding, actually posts regularly in threads he would rather not see
>Spergs up the genuine discussion with shitposting
How isn't this against the rules again?

Press Command-Shift-Period in Finder to show/hide hidden files

Does this work in Sierra? I can't try right now, but I remember looking for a way and only finding terminal stuff. Still dumb that it's not a toggle, but better I guess.

>toggle
Meant to type checkbox.

>other recommendations ?
dragon dildo

'Open terminal here' is already integrated in finder. Check out system settings and pic related

Is this pasta?
Nigga macOS is XNU

Download the VLC Web Plugin for playing WebMs in Safari
Enable HotCorners in MIssion Control
Enable the Debug menu in Safari and disable the two Accelerated Drawing options so that Safari crashing doesn't take down the entire OS
Install Mavericks for superior performance and timeless skeuomorphic design