Learn touch typing with home row

>learn touch typing with home row
>without homerow and touch type - 65 wpm average (70 wpm peak)
>day 1 speed - 17 wpm (peak speed 23 wpm)
>day 4 speed - 40 wpm (peak speed 60 wpm)

i rarely look at the keyboard now, but im still having trouble with my index fingers. Since it was the one I used all the time maybe im still used to hitting all the keys with it all the time?

i was surprised when I hit 60 wpm at one time but that was a fluke and there wasn't much symbols and capital letters in the sample. maybe if this continues, I'll get my average back by this week.

I've been using keybr as my main typing practice site and nitrorace as a measuring tool since it is more fun.

Other urls found in this thread:

a.pomf.cat/kvlwro.mp4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:QWERTY#.22QWERTY_not_made_to_avoid_jamming..22
repository.kulib.kyoto-u.ac.jp/dspace/bitstream/2433/139379/1/42_161.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I doubt that I will get to 100 wpm by the end of a month, but I've been practicing a lot lately and am doing my best.

I think my best achievement is that I could type without looking as much on the keyboard now. that's one small victory that I will gladly take.

Gambatte user. You've made more progress than me. I type 80-90 but I don't use the homerow and I feel like I can't switch to it because it's been too long. I want to switch but I don't want to suffer the initial hit for something that may end up being the same speed.

Mario Teaches Typing

>home row
Bait

90 wpm is very good. the only reason I could do this is because I've got nothing to lose.

I make mistakes all the time and wanted to increase my accuracy and speed so i decided to do it. It really is frustrating at first, but after like 2 days something just "snapped" after I woke up, its like my hands are not my hands.

thanks for the recommendation, i will try it right now!

I'm gonna list typing games I tried and liked.
Typing of the Dead (the original one not the new one), Z-Type (html5 game), Typefighters (free pc game that has online multiplayer), Epistory (pc typing game).

i will look into it. thanks user

i tried mario teaches typing using one of those browser emulation websites. i am not a fan of typing a s d a d and just hitting those keys whenever they pop up. I prefer having words pop up and typing as they were.

thanks for the recommendation though, i really appreciate it

Not OP but how do you type? Would you be willing to show it? I'm always interested to see how other people type since my style is unorthodox, most people have said it's bad and dangerous, but I've done it this way for many years and I'm pretty quick. My English is falling apart at this hour though, I can't sleep so I have to type to other people in a thread about typing instead.
a.pomf.cat/kvlwro.mp4

If you're going to learn something you may as well learn dvorak

Also I type pretty fast but I don't really use the home row strat, but move my hands around the keyboard based on the next two-three words I'm going to type. Not dynamically moving the hands into optimal position based on the word queue needlessly increases finger travel distance.

>typing.lk

for those who just want to get straight into it

is dvorak that better than qwerty? to be completely honest, i have my reservations and am not completely bought into the idea that colemak and dvorak are different than the standard qwerty

Also on typing games I think they're pretty shit since most of them don't flow well or they use too many obscure characters.

You should get a decent block of text; maybe a big stack overflow thread or a section from a book and transcribe it, anything will do I suppose.

Considering qwerty was literally designed to be inefficient I would say that, yes, dvorak is likely significantly better.

Can't speak from experience though because I've never bothered to learn it.

Some say that some alternate styles are less about speed and more about mitigating damage to the fingers/wrist, it just so happens that what is least harmful is also quicker.

I don't know if this is true for all the styles and never looked into it deeper myself but it's what I've seen sometimes. Take that anecdote as you will.

transcribing something never really crossed my mind and sounds like a very good way to practice!

i just need to find some documents that needs to be digitized so that it would be productive.

see, that part doesn't make sense to me. Why would an engineer make something that is inefficient for the user?

this might be the answer I was looking for. If someone can provide an actual research that would be outstandingly interesting document that I can transcribe and summarize for practice.

>Why would an engineer make something that is inefficient for the user?
Because typewriters would jam if you typed too quick, and it sort of just stuck since all the typists were used to it.

I can hit 140 WPM. am i good /g ?

oh lol. i forgot qwerty started on typewriters.

indeed you are.

Indeed.

>Sholes struggled for the next five years to perfect his invention, making many trial-and-error rearrangements of the original machine's alphabetical key arrangement
He spent 5 years coming up with a design inefficient enough that typists wouldn't jam their typewriters. Five fucking years.

>designed to be inefficient
Is this not a myth? Telegram operators said the opposite, that the standard alphabetic layout was inefficient which is what started many redesigns.

The jamming prevention people talk about is easily handled with adjusting the layout of the type legs, the type keys themselves don't have to be adjusted to minimize jams, only the legs.

>If someone can provide an actual research that would be outstandingly interesting document that I can transcribe and summarize for practice.
The issue is that it's subjective, this is why there are so many styles of key layouts. For instance some are designed around software development rather than English, if you do that all day it might be better for you to switch to it, some better for English, etc. It heavily depends on what you type, how often, and if you can even master switching between the two. Not to mention things like the physical keyboard itself plays a big role in muscle stress.

>Is this not a myth?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:QWERTY#.22QWERTY_not_made_to_avoid_jamming..22
Interesting. Seems to be some controversy here.

It really is an absurd claim, anyone can look at a mechanical typewriter and see the action and specific positioning of the legs. I bet more time was spent considering those angles and which letter belongs on which side (mechanically underneath, not key above) than anything else. When I was learning to type (on a mechanical typewriter) the main inhibitor of speed for me was the force required to make a good mark and the actual space between keys, the only times I ever jammed it was if I made a mistake, fat finger or weird typo, even still the worst that would happen is that you'd get a ghost character and have to move the carriage back, the legs never actually got caught together unless I did it on purpose which usually required 3-4 keys being pressed at once, the legs come back very quickly and are already positioned in a way to avoid other legs, you'd have to hit 3 keys near each other mechanically within a very short time to cause a problem which seems highly unlikely, I'm sure that's the point of the design.

For reference I'm old and gre up in a poor house with bad handwriting so I had to use one for school daily for years before we got an electric one and finally a computer.

Have you considered that typewriter design may have improved between the 1870s and when the one you were using was made?

That would be me except I use my left hand fully (even the pinky) and my right is limited to my index finger. Currently trying to force myself to use the rest of my right hand fingers. Quite the surreal feeling; it's like finding out for the first time that I actually HAVE those fingers.

Of course but what do you think the years of original design were focused on? Is it more likely they focused on intentionally slowing down the typist or relieving the machine of this mechanical limitation? The fact that their customers gave feedback on how to improve efficiency I don't think it's likely to be the former, you're not going to increase sales by doing the opposite of what they asked for.

Idk but interestingly in this paper:
repository.kulib.kyoto-u.ac.jp/dspace/bitstream/2433/139379/1/42_161.pdf
which is used as a supposed source for the claim that slowing down typists was a myth, they offer no factual evidence for their assertion but "this seems preposterous, it's nonsense"

This is actually basically the only section which deals with the question directly.
Seems a little light on the evidence, heavy on the opinion.

I'm not saying they're objectively right but I do agree with the sentiment. Regardless, the burden of truth is on the claimants, those saying it was intentionally gimped to prove that this was the case. Objective or not I think it's agreeable that it's a preposterous claim to make given the reason for the invention in the first place, the feedback that is accepted to be true, and the further evolution of the device. I wouldn't be surprised if this myth started with the first alternative keyboard layout or one of its supporters, people are quicker to believe deficits without a factual basis than they are benefits.

That all being said I want it to be clear I am not making an argument here, just discussing, I'm not even in clear enough mind to speak English properly let alone theorize on this subject, I just can't help myself, conversation helps me to stay awake and typing practice is always good. Besides when else can I discuss typewriters, I need to take this opportunity.

It is a mildly interesting question I suppose, but I can't say I'm terribly invested in the motivations of some 19th century typesetter.

But you've got me interested now whether dvorak is actually more efficient so I'm going to try it out.

I implore you to research a few and see their claimed benefits/advantages. There was a site dedicated to this that I really wish I remembered right now, maybe someone will post it. It was like a questionnaire that asked what kind of tasks you do how often and what kind of words you use and at the end it suggested you a layout that would match. I don't doubt there are better layouts than qwerty but I think you have to pick the right one for you. I haven't tried to switch but if I remember right I was leaning towards colemak for some reason, I'd need to re-evaluate things myself if I was going to switch.

I've been using Dvorak for a few years and while being more efficient is questionable, it's certainly more comfortable.
I can still type on qwerty (albiet more slowly), but it's instantly apparent that many keys are in terrible positions.

One note is that Dvorak is absolutely horrible to use one-handed, on a phone, for example, since it emphases alternating hands.

>One note is that Dvorak is absolutely horrible to use one-handed, on a phone, for example, since it emphases alternating hands.
Isn't there one-handed dvoraks?

Oh also, it's interesting to note that modern keyboards still use the staggered key positions, which are unnecessary since switching from typewriters. This may lend credence (either in reality or mentally) to the idea that qwerty is just a shitty holdover from typewriters.

The standardization of the physical key layout is for sure a holdover, the choice of letter arrangement (qwerty itself) however , I do not believe to be intentionally slow. I'm curious about the staggering and things like ergonomic keyboards, the ones with the splits and raised portions.

I think the reason every standard keyboard has collapsible feet is also to accommodate typewriter users, using the feet is detrimental to the wrist iirc. Some people say the use of the feet is to increase visibility but that makes no sense since the key caps traditionally faced upwards with the feet raised, it's only more modern ones that face upwards with them down.

>Isn't there one-handed dvoraks?
Yes, but they're not something for when you just need to reach over and hit a few keys.