Lineage OS

Have you already switched to lineage OS?

Custom roms thread, I suppose

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.lineageos.org/mako_build.html
download.lineageos.org/
archive.is/em0UZ
download.lineageos.org/athene
forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-3/development/rom-cyanogenmod-14-1-oneplus-3-t3496850
lineageos.org/Update-and-Build-Prep/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Probably it is full of bugs..we have to wait at least 1 year to have a decent ROM.

Out of curiosity, CM13 did came with root access. How do you do it in Lineage? And no, Nexus 4 still does not have official build.

Flash supersu through TPRW (or whatever the fuck it's called)

their are literally using the CM codebase, it cannot be in worse state CM was when it was discontinued.

Hmm, but CM doesn't have that, it manages root access through Settings, like an application permission.

>not building it yourself

I don't know how :(

wiki.lineageos.org/mako_build.html

I know that but with new cpus (10 nm) it will be full of bugs..lineage OS is perfect for old smartphone not officially supported anymore but I don't think is very smart to change stock ROM in a new smartphone with lineage-one..

It's literally what everyone did before they baked it into the OS, and on all non-CMs.

It takes less than a minute as long as you've got TWRP installed which you should have already

They haven't released any builds for the moto x pure yet, but they've confirmed that it will be one of the devices getting nougat builds.

I'll probably flash as soon as they release.

The development didn't even stopped, there is a shit fucking ton of new commits every day.
I am currently using without any hassle on oneplus one and oneplus 3.

Are there even any official builds/releases yet?

>perfect
I don't know if I would call it that.
Android has always been a bad system.
It is the least bad system we currently have, but it is not even damn near acceptable.
1. you have compile stuff yourself, do the testing yourself and fix the OS yourself.
2. you cannot do the testing and compiling from the phone, so it will take a long time to do so.
3. It doesn't work for all phones, so if you do it for one phone, it will not work on other phones.

All this leads to a lot of wasted time and effort.
To make matters worse, the lifespan of phones are so low that making the OS compatible with a single phone is not a huge progress.
That phone is obsolete just a year, maybe two at most.

Lets compare this to the gnu/linux OS on the desktop.
There we can fix problems on the system we are using, while we are using it.
We can use the work of others, and speed up process by using build servers, so we don't have to compile everything.

It is like you only have the options of using red star and linux from scratch.
It is a joke.

>3. It doesn't work for all phones, so if you do it for one phone, it will not work on other phones.
fucking this, why can't smartphones be like normal computer where you install the OS you want and support/updates are offered by the OS's maintainer?

welp, building just failed with some out-of-memory error

>ripping off the nextcloud logo

>ripping off the nextcloud logo ripping off the olympic games logo

I feel exactly the same, Android is the least shit mobile OS but it is still a fucking stinking pile of dogshit.
The day I will see an alternative I will jump ship immediately but I fear that that day will never come.

Mainly because if intel are a bunch of jew nigger Arm producers are way fucking worse.
Binary blobs riddled with bugs that will never be fixed, locking people to use a single kernel version, locked bootloader, 6 months of software support, etc.
We should really vote with our wallet and stop buying that shit.

Tried it yesterday, too broken for daily use, but I'm going to check it out again in a while

Where did you get the image from?

It's not like it's the OS's fault that you need a specific build for every different device. Developers can't do anything about the current (shitty) state ARM.

there download.lineageos.org/
or maybe he built one himself

Oh, so they have actually added some devices to that tab. Thanks.

>download.lineageos.org/
The OS shit anyway, 60 GB of source code just to compile a ~1 GB of binary files is fucking insane.

>Developers can't do anything about the current (shitty) state ARM.
You solve it by making a better structure.
Android is designed to be a single blob that cannot be changed.
This is a bad design when it comes to an OS.
When most of the drivers are proprietary, you would expect that you could at least get the binaries and run those from within the system to get access to special camera drivers and stuff like that.
>It's not like it's the OS's fault that you need a specific build for every different device.
Yes it is.

yeah i am using it and its shit

I don't have a computer powerful enough to build this

Gonna switch to it whenever my moto g4 plus stop receiving updates.

hi

As I'm also using a Moto G4 Plus I had to do a double-take after reading this, because apparently Nougat has already rolled out since ages ago, but my phone is still stuck on Marshmallow, and no updates are detected when searching manually. What gives?

G4 plus here, I gave up waiting for the official update and got the last cm build (12/24) before hearing about lineage.

>You solve it by making a better structure

Software developers cannot do anything about ARM SoC manufacturers producing stuff that require blobs to run, which locks these chips so a certain kernel version since software support on ARM is a fucking joke.

>Yes it is.

Good luck building a ROM that can run on devices which require vastly different blobs and kernels.

about that, how hard is to port a rom like this one to another device? where can I read something about it?

>how hard is to port a rom like this one to another device

It shouldn't be that hard if you are familiar with development and can actually find the required driver/blobs for your device.

archive.is/em0UZ

there is a nightly that was built today for you guys

download.lineageos.org/athene

I thought that they weren't bothering with releases anymore, just nightly snapshots. Cause you know devs, they love being bleeding edge and don't understand why those silly users want to install something that works and then leave it alone.

Are there any official downloads or do you compiled it yourself?

there were good reasons to do that, the fact that you believe they were stable is one of them.
Differently from desktop os there isn't a real update system on android, so to patch some ugly bug or security issue you have to update all the thing.
In others words android is never stable.

dirty flashed my hammerhead with 14.1 caf last week. so far totally stable and more responsive than I thought it was going to be.

I have a script compile it for me every night, I don't like downloading archives from xda or any other skiddies and curry infested places.
Your best best if you don't want compile it yourself is to get it from: forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-3/development/rom-cyanogenmod-14-1-oneplus-3-t3496850
This gook is the official maintainer for oneplus 3, you can see his commit on github/gerrit.

Thenks user, I will try these.

I've read that installing maven and gradle may speed up the building process, is that true?

*thanks

Custom ROMs degrade your security compared to stock because you are not getting Android security updates and are putting your trust in Indians doing it for free. The only ROM which actually brings an improvement in security is CopperheadOS with its privacy defaults, exploit mitigations and attack surface reduction.
Your point about newer phones stands, but the manufacturing process makes ZERO difference.
No.

I honestly don't know.
One thing I learned -the hard way- is that the following two environmental variables are a risk you don't wanna take:
export USE_CCACHE=1
prebuilts/misc/linux-x86/ccache/ccache -M 50G
While even google suggest to set them I find it not a very good idea because if for some reason the compilation process produces a non working binary it will be cached and used for the next build.
Always run make clobber before compiling and don't cache anything.

The fuck are you up to? lineageos/cm get android security patch, 5 jannuary 2017 is currently used.

Just leave it running overnight for a couple of weeks.

>The fuck are you up to? lineageos/cm get android security patch, 5 jannuary 2017 is currently used.
Friendly reminder that Motorola only does quarterly security patches, ie. 4 per year
Any curryOS is better security wise than the stock rom Motorola has, unless the curry has fucked around and left all kind of retarded settings/commits or abandoned his rom for 3+ months

already running an unofficial build, just waiting on an official build for my M8,

tl;dr; use lineage and not some shit downloaded from XDA and you are far more safe than with the custom ROM preinstalled with the phone

Linage dropped built in root for some reason. Use SuperSu now.

or you could wait a day and download the official su zip from lineageos

Probably due to the nowadays much more widespread use of SafetyNet

>Samsung section is just Galaxy S III variants

Fuck me for buying a phone made in the last 4 years. I want my S7 edge support.

It's not a bad idea to not include root by default.
Certain apps don't run if they find the phone is rooted.

>no screens in the thread
>look up their site
>nothing their either
>youtube Lineage OS
>every video is by some indian

fucking pass.

The fuck do you think it looks like? Google CM screenshots you retard.

I think some people are able to distinguish an os from another only from the UI

I wanna see the guy who does that with the fucking identical looking homescreens/appdrawers from CM14.1 and Lineage 14.1.

Hobbyist Indians do not have security as a priority, and they most likely don't know too much about security either.
Except for Nexuses/Pixels, and most likely popular models from the big manufacturers (apart from Motorola, apparently). Custom ROMs other than CopperheadOS invariably give you decreased security.
SuperSU is proprietary. I wouldn't trust it as the gatekeeper for the capability that can wreck your phone and widens your attack surface MASSIVELY.

>Except for Nexuses/Pixels, and most likely popular models from the big manufacturers (apart from Motorola, apparently). Custom ROMs other than CopperheadOS invariably give you decreased security.

why? you said that you don't get the android security updates, but that just not true

Stop buying Samsung. It's like you want to be cucked.

My Wileyfox Swift was made in the last year, and supports LineageOS. Same for my friend's Redmi Note 3, and my brother's OnePlus One.

Security is a meme distraction since it's cool to not have privacy.

why is samsung so bad?
>shit software
>shit support
>sometimes shit hardware
>exploding phones
>exploding washing machines
>crashing koreans's governments

Do you trust Lineage developers, amateurs with little to no security knowledge to be able to harden the operating system? I certainly don't trust them. Doesn't matter if you get Android security rollups, if you opened up a security hole that isn't covered by the bulletin it doesn't matter.
Here's another thing: CyanogenMod and most likely Lineage don't do any signature verification and don't enforce checking the hash of the update package leaving users open to malware being bundled with the package they downloaded that masqueraded as the official package thanks to MITM, or Lineage server compromise.
>58625186
fuck off!

when the hamburger goes to me the finland for hemorrhoids and 45 rrmmmmmmmdd sudo burger

That's just not true.
For example CM got security fix for stagefright way way before every official ROM from manufacturers.

Moto X Pure runs better on stock rom though. The best roms were based or just altered stock roms. The community for the device is horrible. OnePlus is the new Nexus post Nexus 4. Community puts out decent roms and is more robust. The OPO for example still has some of the best roms. Doesn't hurt that the device still runs like a fresh set of titties.

That was before Google's initiative for universal security rollups necessitated by Stagefright. Still, the base operating system has far less scrutiny than Google takes or manufacturers take.

You can always use AOSP, or copperheadOS if you have the right phone.
They do signature verification and mitm can happen on any phone.
Just use a dumb phone so you don't have to worry about mitm/compromised servers.

>Do you trust Lineage developers, amateurs with little to no security knowledge to be able to harden the operating system?
not amateurs, and why do you think they have no security knowledge?

>Doesn't matter if you get Android security rollups, if you opened up a security hole that isn't covered by the bulletin it doesn't matter.
according to this logic, every fork is bad

>Here's another thing: CyanogenMod and most likely Lineage don't do any signature verification and don't enforce checking the hash of the update package leaving users open to malware being bundled with the package they downloaded that masqueraded as the official package thanks to MITM, or Lineage server compromise.
again not true:
lineageos.org/Update-and-Build-Prep/
>Our official builds will all be signed with a private key for authentication and signature permission control

> This will not break, prevent or stop any ‘unofficial’ builds.
> Key verification info can be found on the wiki Verifying Build Authenticity page

And you still have to wait for _Samsung_ to bake the update and ship an update to you.
Good luck with that.

>not amateurs
Where's the income? Vast majority of CM devs are Indians.
Yes, almost every ROM gives you a net loss in security.
Pleased to have been proven wrong on Lineage signature verification.
Point still stands on security competence.

Literally everything is this post is easily falsified bullshit.

0/10 troll harder

Waiting for klte.

0/10 post. Present an actual argument rather than relying on your assumptions that fucking Indian hobbyists are infallible.

>abstract iconography of dev balls over a night table, were they leave them before going to work or doing anything
pottery

Stop replying to this fucking retard.

It's open source, everyone can co tribute and there are core developers check what other people pull, it's like any other open source project.

Lineage is a community driven opensource project, this doesn't mean the developers working on it are incompetent.
And I suppose some of the devs may be indian, so what? the 20th director of darpa was indian too. Do you have any proof of bad code or practice in their code?

>58625620
>ideology man.jpeg
Sorry, the key word was hobbyist.

Android and iOS are just one big hole, doesn't matter if the OS is "secure" because the software will have vulns.
In fact there is only one that tries to set it's goal on security first and that is CopperheadOS.

Booting up for the first time :')

Sorry for sjitty pic. Taken on my old phone

Thanks man, its working perfectly

Any reason why I should switch from Resurrection Remix? It's so comfy

>there's people ITT who believe in the (((enterprise))) """"security"""" model
topfuckingkek

How's it treating you? Just installed on my OnePlus and seems to be working great so far.

I only have a ecot computer and android tablet . I want to use the ecot computer but every thing is blocked . I was looking for a way around this so i could eventually reset the os completely and it work like a normal computer. It been hard as ,right clicking is blocked, installing need admin passcode,cmd is blocked . I was thinking that the only way i may be able to get into this would be if i boot of a thumb drive , which doesnt seemed to be blocked as far as i can tell . All i have is a android tablet to do it on tho . And i cant physcially plug the usb into this tablet. Is it possible to do it threw the tablet then plug the usb and tablet into the computer and transfer it to the usb ? Its kinda a long shot but only option i really see .If anyone could help or suggest somewhere i could ask for help ,that would be great . Also if there are any other ways you could think of going about this feel free to give input. I have tried normal ways such as safe mode ... ect. The os is windows 7 pro, and the tower says thinkcentre intel pentuium ,think centra sn mjd11250

It's pretty decent. I really want root back though

alright, just installed it on my moto x pure.

Install was fast and I flashed superuser 2.79 along with opengapps pico and everything worked.

Too early to tell how the battery is, but assuming that the doze on the go feature works properly I'm expecting a pretty noticeable increase in battery life.
DPI switcher is nice though.

In my experience the main problem is the lack of decent documentation. It'd already be a huge step forward if someone just made a blog post describing porting to a particular device.

>no Nexus 5 support
Yeah, I know the phone is old. But I was hoping that they carried over the official builds for the device.

Guess I'll have to flash PureNexus again.

I'm on CM14.1 with my trusty Galaxy S III and I certainly will.

Nexus 5 is coming, just wait a few days.

I completely agree with you, the biggest problem of the whole android community is the lack of decently written and maintained guides.

Just go to S7 Edge development on XDA an download the Lineage or resurrection remix, dumb frogposter.

Why does your gender matter?

No HTC m7 support yet. No guide to build it either.