/spg/ - Smartphone General - What's up dad? edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Hugo Barra announces departure from Xiaomi
gsmarena.com/hugo_barra_announces_departure_from_xiaomi-news-22917.php

Honor 6X Review
phonearena.com/reviews/Honor-6X-Review_id4303

Samsung Details Issues with Galaxy Note 7 Batteries, Phone Itself Not to Blame
xda-developers.com/samsung-discloses-issues-with-galaxy-note-7-batteries-phone-itself-not-to-blame/

Official Lineage OS Builds Start Rolling Out For Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, Nextbit Robin, and More
download.lineageos.org/

ZTE Hawkeye in trouble: company admits mistake, asks fans for help
community.zteusa.com/community/csx/blog/2017/01/20/we-acknowledge-our-mistake.

Old

Other urls found in this thread:

replicant.us/
copperhead.co
microg.org/
gsmarena.com/gsmarena_lab_tests-review-751p4.php
gsmarena.com/results.php3?s4Gs=2,4,13,19
gsmarena.com/lenovo_p2-review-1557.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for the 6p

Moto g4 plus or sam a5 17

Enlighten me

Moto X Play or Alcatel Idol 4?

I don't care for smartphone. Can you post more Ivanka?

What Nougat rom should I use on my Nexus 5?

Dirty Unicorns fucked up my System UI on last update

what're some alternative phones with new open source OSes that're available right now, tried ubuntu touch, tried sailfish os

Do blackberry phones spy on you?

also follow up DTEK50 VS blackphone 2 in terms of privacy and security

I'm looking for a new smartphone, unfortunately, all the potential ones for (like HTC10) are almost a year old and the only new one are iphone7 and Pixel.
What shall I do?
I can't wait for more than 2 weeks, as I'll go for vacation and need something before that.

all nougat roms are trash right now

delete this and refrain from posting that angel on this pathetic website

Best phone to buy for 350€?

BQ Aquaris X5 Plus 3GB RAM / 32GB internal

They're secure when it comes to things like phone theft, and keeping your data contained within your device and shit. But, they cooperate with governments globally (a lot of them blackmailed blackberry lmao), so your shit ain't safe from governments and your privacy is basically nonexistent in that view.

You get me?

HTC is supposed to be announcing their Ocean (HTC 11) sometime soon, probably around MWC or whatever. Same with Sammy, Sony, Blackberry, and whomever the fuck else.
MWC is unfortunately near the end of february.
Here's what I suggest.
Get an iphone or a pixel. Whatever. Use them on your vacation and what have you. When MWC rolls around, and you love one of the announced devices, you can sell the phone (or return it depending on how lenient the return policy is), and get you one.

Saving up another 100 and getting the oneplus.

Is it better than the Z3?

I can switch my Z3 for a phone which costs max. 350€, is there any phone in this price range which is better than the Z3?

>I can switch my Z3 for a phone which costs max. 350€, is there any phone in this price range which is better than the Z3?
Iphone SE
Latest Redmeme

ah shit mate I'm psychotic and even though I'm on meds but if I get into a fit I'll end up destroying it, unfortunately my worker thinks getting a smartphone will help fix me - what about a phone with full encryption, cyanogenmod and no gapps? are there any government proof smartphones?

Thanks user! I thought the same, either Pixel or iphone7

CM still has google analytics, so no.
You'll probably want to look into replicant.us/ and phones that work with it.
copperhead.co is another possible solution, although it's a bit more lenient than replicant is when it comes to proprietary shit.
microg.org/ should also help you replace google services in a FOSS way, but again you're ultimately still sending some data (although with microG you can explicitly decide what)

Blackphone is a lot of hype that I don't think is worth it. Realistically all that it's doing for the most part is stuffing your data through their private VPN. If you really wanted to, you could go entirely custom with a nexus or whatever and use a VPN of your own that you trust.

Personally, I'd go iPhone, but that's largely because I don't really use headphones. Either one is a great option though.

Can the IMEI number of a phone change/be changed? I got a phone off some probably shady refurbished phone seller on eBay. The device has problems on hardware side and I'm trying to return it. They are asking me what the IMEI number is. When I got the phone I did flash a few different official firmwares on it, but i didn't unlock the bootloader or anything. Will they be able to see that from the IMEI? I can't tell if it's a ploy or they keep such bad track of their inventory.

I didn't write down the number at first or anything so I don't have a clue if it indeed has changed or not.

Her heels are triggering me

IMEI doesn't change. IMEI is related mostly to hardware. Think of it as a unique identifier for every single device. This way when devices are stolen, manufacturers for example can just blacklist those IMEIs.

Does the BQ X5 Plus get any love here?

Seems to be future proof, 5" so just the right size, and not as expensive as a Pixel.

The OnePlus looks good to me but the 5.5 is too big for my hands.

No because it's missing bands and only a 652. It just doesn't compare to the OP3T. If you're OK with chinkphones might as well go with a xiaomeme or the zuk z2 or something of that nature and save yourself 100 euros.

>652
What do you do with your phone that a 652 is not sufficient?

The BQ is the only phone on the market right now with Galileo support
and BQ's firmware is very clean. Literally just AOSP + 1 a non-obtrusive support app.
No bloat like Samsung or Sony have.

Been looking around for a new phone for a while now and I want to order the bq x5.
Is the difference between the 2gb version and 3gb big? Difference is 40 euros.

A 652 is sufficient, but if you're paying more than 200 euro for a 652, it's a wrong decision.

>Galileo

The map geek in me likes that very much, although I heard that they were having trouble with the satellites.

Some clocks failed, one could be restarted, but each satellite has 4 redundant clocks
As of now they're all operational

I-is it worth it, Sup Forums?

pretty nice phone, go for it

thanks!

>Reposting from old thread
My shitty old Vodafone 890N is practically dead now and I need a new phone.
>Carrier
EE preferably
>Budget
£500-600
>Wants and needs
At least 32GB internal storage
3.5mm jack preferably on the top
Waterproofing would be nice. My hands get really sweaty.
Good camera
Good DAC since I mostly use it to listen to music
Speakers aren't an issue
Durable
4GB RAM preferably
Common/popular enough to be easy to root and get fitting phone cases

I was thinking of getting a Galaxy S7 but I probably shouldn't because of Samsung's reputation.

thanks. there are articles online on "how to change your IMEI" and stuff like that though.

>Waterproofing would be nice. My hands get really sweaty.
You need a waterproof phone because your hands sweat?

Yeah but it's illegal in many places and they can't change the actual IMEI listed on the hardware device itself (usually on battery or box or wherever manufacturers want).

I'm talking SWEATY.
My last phone got a deadzone on the touchscreen. I hadn't done anything to it. I was just on the train using it to listen to music when part of the lower half suddenly stopped responding. My hands were really sweaty at the time so maybe it got into the cracks.
Also, waterproofing is just a nice bonus in general.

>Waterproofing would be nice. My hands get really sweaty.
Lmao. If you actually sweat that much you'd die from dehydration.

How about just putting a screen protector on it?

OnePlus 3T
Meizu MX5 Pro
Honor 8

Outside Chinkshit:

LG G5
Pros:
Great everything
Cons:
Risk of bootlooping
Modular design may not appeal to everyone
Back is plastic with an aluminium coating

Huawei P9
Pros: Mostly stock android
Cons: reselling value low compared to other brands

HTC 10
Pros: Good design
1440p display
Cons: HTC

iPhone 6/6S
Pros:
Really good screen at 326 ppi, despite 768p
If you have a mac: iCloud integration
Top tier performance for its age
Newest iOS (10)
Nice camera
OTA updates for a loooooong time
4.7"
Higher resale value
Cons:
4.7" might not appeal to everyone
Less pirating possibilities
Expensive

Sony Xperia XZ
Pros: One of the better flagships they released over the last years
Robust
Good design
Sony-typical top tier camera
Cons:
Their launcher can sometimes make a phone feel slower than it actually is

Is there any alternative for Xprivacy in CM14/Nougat?

I can't read this

Does the honor 8 have good audio

pls respond

>Liking plastic surgery addicts

Her neck is freakishly long too

Does the Honor 8 feel too small in the hands? I don't like 145.5 x 71, but I also don't like big ass 5.5" phones. Why can't there be anything good in-between?

Does the Moto Z Play play true high quality audio? I was thinking of getting either it orvthe Zenfone 3 zoom.

>can't get an affordable contract android phone with an unlocked bootloader from anyone these days, cash up front or no dice
>tfw seriously considering getting an iphone 5s on contract and jailbreaking it
>tfw the only thing holding you back is how shitty VLC might be for watching anime

>5.2" too small, 5.5" too big
Are you really that autistic? The difference is few millimeters

whats your model?

Why did you start a new thread when the other is not at bump limit you fucktard

How long until nougat roms are usable? Is Lineage going to get better?

To be pedantic, the measurements are diagonal so the width and height would be larger than 0.3

I'm sorry to inform you that nothing it's better then the Z3, don't look the new xperias, don't do it trust me

But it is?

I need something on Verizon for less than $200. Is the G4 my best option? Can I get away with a G4 Play?

gsmarena.com/gsmarena_lab_tests-review-751p4.php

Is it worth getting the 128gb variant of the oneplus 3t over the 64gb one?
I came from a phone with 8gb internal with 16gb micro sd card.

What app do you guys use to increase your Bluetooth range? (More power = more distance right?)

Pretty much, few cdma phones and the ones that do have the bands verizon gives you shit or no service so youre stuck with big brands. Can you wait a few months for the new moto g5. If not g4 and play are fine, pretty much everything else cheaper is pure garbage and everything else is really expensive.

Just go with the 64gb one then, 128gb is always out of stock anyway

Just bought an iDrone 6S Plus today. Should arrive Wednesday. Really happy to move back to iOS. Memes aside, out of all the phones I've ever had, the iPhone was the best.

I found a shop where they're full of 128gb 3t's though,

Could someone reccomend me a good phone? My budget is 100-140$

Lumia 550 or Lumia 640

Chinkphones an option? If not then Moto G4 Play.

Should I buy the Nextbit Robin? Costs only 180€ here and it has an 808 inside it. Phones really flimsy though but its got official lineage support.

Tough decision.

is Huawei p9 lite a good phone?

It is unless you need custom roms. Which it'll never have.

The Nexbit was a great deal when it was selling for $139 on US Amazon. For 180€, not so much.

Mi4c also has the SD808 and can be had for under 100€. Or you could get a Redmi Note 3 Pro that has a SD650 (essentially an improved SD808) and also has official LineageOS for under 180€.

ok, thanks

Taxes here are higher, so 180€ at 19% VAT is pretty much 139 dollars with no tax

Xperia XA Ultra or Xperia Z5?

Are there seriously no phones out there will work on Verizon and have LTE band 19?

I can't find any except the iPhone.

Neither
>XA
mediakek

>Z5
housefire 810

Get a Xperia X

gsmarena.com/results.php3?s4Gs=2,4,13,19

Z5 a thousand times, as flawed as the SoC was it still packs an SD810 over the budget mediakek shit of the XA, has better camera and records in 4k, has a fingerprint scanner in most places (everywhere but the US and some europoor countries), already got the nougat update and it's just the right size for a smartphone, the XA is a 6.1" monstrosity more suited for dumb women interested in looks over functionality that can't/don't want to spend 800 burger coins on a fruit phone, hence the size, design, entry level specs and good front camera.

how good is the blackberry classic?

>SD650
>3GB RAM
>2600 mAh
>no water resistance
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> euros

The Redmi Note 3 Pro has the exact same specs with a battery twice as big and it costs 160 europoors.

Yeah, and if you ignore the iPhone, none of them do CDMA, otherwise I would get an experia in a flash.

Xiaomi Mi S 4.6" confirmed
Snapdragon 821 confirmed
4 GiB of RAM confirmed
128 GB Flash confirmed

And it comes in a sexy iphone 5s body, i'm so glad i can finally own a sub 5" phone that doesn't pack a midrange snapdragon and a 720p screen, and knowing xiaomi it will probably also have a 4100 mAh battery.

Hmm, I think 4.6" is a bit too small even for a compact phone.
4.7-4.8" would be perfect.

I just ordered a new (old stock) Galaxy S5 for $220. Supposed to be factory sealed still.

What does /spg/ think?

looks like justin long

Fuck nevermind, it has a subpar battery, still those specs are flagship tier.

It's the same size as the xperia compact phones and everyone agrees that it's the perfect size for a small phone.

Source? Last news I saw on it were last year and the CEO or something of Xiaomi said thta it's not in the works.

Now that are boy Hugo is gone what do you think is the future of Xiaomi? Will it continue to be the savior of modern cell phone industry
or will it begin to crumble and become generic /csg/ fodder?

A bit much but it has removeable battery, roms, and is still pretty fast. Not bad.

You did good, now unlock the bootloader and flash an AOSP rom on it or prepare to suffer the extreme lag that is 5.1.1/6.0.1 touchwizz after a year of use.

Solid specs, just about every gimmick modern smartphones have, good camera, IR blaster, removable battery, SD slot and can take a beating, i'd use it as a daily driver if it had more than 2GB of ram.

SD or Exynos?

Decent phone either way, the only thing holding it back is only 2GB of ram.

>2GB of ram.
When do you need more?
Even 1 GB is enough for car navigation + music player

quick question

>usa
>verizon

only necessity is sd card slot
big bonus for removable battery

best phone?

>implying i'd ever fall for the car jew

It's mainly for PS1 emulation while having a music player open.

Moto G4 Play

Fair enough. I never played a game on a smartphone. This is probably why I still get by with the Moto G1 running CM14

Lenovo P2 review from gsmarena. The battery life is bretty gud.
gsmarena.com/lenovo_p2-review-1557.php

looks good enough for me
do I buy it online and just my current sim card in it? or do I have to do anything through verizon?

just put* my current sim card in it

There's more to a phone than just the SoC. With your logic something like HTC 10 or Galaxy S7 is not worth buying because a ZUK Z2 also has a SD820 and is only 160€.