Has any self taught programmer on Sup Forums landed a programming job?

Has any self taught programmer on Sup Forums landed a programming job?
Share your stories.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5pouv4/18_months_ago_i_didnt_know_how_to_code_im_now_a/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>spent 200 hours on code academy earning good boy points on C++
>apply to job and get interview
>unable to answer any questions
>unable to set up boilerplate programming template
>unable to solve real-world problems on my own
>wish I would have spent that time playing vidya instead

>>unable to answer any questions

Such as? I know programming but I can't seem to get a job. I've had three interviews which have gone fine, but on the end no phone call.

>Didn't try to implement some basic algorithms like a BST
>Didn't try to solve actual problems using code by starting on paper

People want to hire you to fix problems, not recite syntax

>I know programming
what the fuck does that even mean, faggot?
what projects have you created on your own?

>unable to set up boilerplate programming template
God, I hate interviewing people who can't write a piece of code without a skeleton in place. If you have no idea how to read a file in your language, you don't know that language and shouldn't be applying to jobs in it.

but i got certificates on code academy

Get a master degree in civil engineering. Apply for 300+ jobs, but get nothing because there are thousands of unemployed oil engineers when I graduate ... Spend months working hard trying to get a job. Study pal also can't get a job and he is a straight A student... Settle for some admin job as an accountant, someone related to the accounting job figures out I know Python and advanced math. Currently working as consultant and data scientist earning around $50 per hour.

I now earn more than if I tried getting a job relevant to my studies... Will likely not use much that I learned in university

Ganbatte, user! Now you know what else to learn! And other job interviews probably won't ask the same questions; they're all different!

I am not a programmer, but I am self-taught for my CompTIA A+ and that got me a job (which I no longer have, but shhhh).

>be me
>self taught magento 7 years
>built on de-coupled zend framework
>haven't even begun to delve deep into core of framework because too steep a learning curve
>apply to like 7 companies
>get recruiters hounding me and doing whatever they can to get me hired
>go in for interview
>but everywhere I go yo i gets laffed at
>resolved to working for some mickey mouse wholesaler run by a petty jew who doesn't know shit and will hire you if you just put the right keywords in your resume
>working like a slave and getting taken advantage of by doing menial IT shit as part of my other responsibilities

feels bad man

Recruiters always sound positive; they assume you can just walk into any job and seemingly never realise how happy you are to hear from them. I went to an interview recently where the guy interviewing me said, "Wow, you know way too much IT for a shit job for retards like this one", and when the recruiter asked me how the interview went, I said it went well for that reason, and she flipped her shit because apparently the guy wasn't "selling" the job enough. I told her repeatedly that I'd still do it if they offer it to me, but she still seemingly expected the guy to just bullshit me and say the job was better than it really is.

>figures out I know Python and advanced math. Currently working as consultant and data scientist earning around $50 per hour.

what does that mean could you tell us what you do on a day to day basis?

My story:

At the age of 15 I started learning C in order to create my own CircleMUD derivative. After this I moved on to creating my own roguelikes with ncurses and then some simple OpenGL work. I spent a long time just trying to figure out what the next thing to learn is. I never felt confident enough to apply for a real job. Well, fast forward to the age of 26 and I land a Linux Sysadmin contract which enabled me to land a Support Engineer contract. This Support Engineer role gave me a lot of opportunity to write scripts, which enabled me to show that I could take on the additional responsibilities of a Solutions Engineer (kind of a hybrid between software engineer and support). I now make 71k + benefits and expect to be making 100k within the next few years.

All of this was possible because of the Dell Latitude D620 laptop I had and an Arch Linux iso. The laptop cost me $200 years ago. It was a piece of junk with a terrible display, but it got me through some rough times. (pic related)

>CompTIA A+
I was studying for this at one point but then I got half way through a book and realized it was all hardware troubleshooting, Windows, and printer repair. Fuck that. Also, the jobs it qualifies a person for don't even seem all that great. In the end I just put some of my code on Github and it's paid well.

I almost did. I aced every test. I failed the personality portion. Go figure.

I got my first web dev job a few months ago after a month of learning/building a portfolio in a 6 weeks from scratch.
I don't care if it's "real programming" or not, I just want money.

reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5pouv4/18_months_ago_i_didnt_know_how_to_code_im_now_a/

Be like this guy

what kinds of websites are in your portfolio?

Im currently 17. I have learned C syntax. Any advice for a lucrative tech career?

Learn Java if you want a job.

Thanks user. Anything after that?

>be me
>34
>happy wagecuck
>factory union job
>wife, kid
>laid off, factory gone, no skills

>realize I have no choice but to learn a skill and get paid again in a few months or my family is going on the street with me
>study and learn like a fiend
>hit up every local and online resource for help and jobs
>six months later I get hired for a jr. dev spot at 40k/yr

Pay is less than my factory job, but I didnt have to be a shameless bum with kid and wife in tow. Motivation is key user. If you aren't desperate, you need to figure out how to make yourself desperate. Learning isn't fun or easy. That's a lie teachers tell so more people invest in their services. You have to take the pain hit the wall, and keep going. Keep on being posed off and confused until it finally clicks.

>learn
>apply
>demonstrate
>memorize whiteboard shit
>job

Good luck friend. It can be done.

>Any advice
Yes. See my reply to the other person below

>Learn Java
Yes and no. You should learn logic and understand how to use the same control structures and design patterns that are present in all programming languages. With my current job, I had never heard of one of the languages I need and had only barely used two of the others. It's not about what you already know. It's about what you can learn as you go. I can work with any language that has even somewhat c-style syntax (almost all of them). Taking the time to thoroughly understand the concepts that apply across all languages is important. But also it's important to understand the difference between languages with introspection and without introspection. That difference can play a large role in the way you go about solving problems with a language (for better or worse).

So you want a starting/junior programming job?

You MUST master the basics of programming, and be able to implement your programming knowledge using any language. That means solving problems without relying on any particular syntax. If you cannot separate programming syntax from programming concepts/algorithms, then you will need to go back and focus on the basics.

After mastering the basics, you want a starting job. Let us look at languages that will help you launch your programming career. And no, you will not be earning $300k/year when you are just starting, but you may do so if you persevere.

1- Java. Enormously popular, Java is everywhere, and everyone wants a Java developer. A must for Android applications.

2- Javascript. It runs most of the internet! A must for website developers, (with CSS and HTML.)

3- Objective C/Swift. The languages that power Apple gadgets. A must for iOS applications.

There are more languages in high demand, but they require more experience. Master the following to expand your horizons:

-SQL. Because data must get stored.
-C. Real programmers point to this language.
-C++. For classy, objective programmers.
-Python. For high-paying sssoftware engineering jobs.

>WHAT OTHER LANGUAGES ARE IN HIGH DEMAND?
Other than what was mentioned above: C#, Ruby, and PHP.

>I WANT TO WORK WITH HARDWARE DIRECTLY. WHAT LANGUAGE IS CLOSEST TO THE METAL?
Machine code. Good luck, friend.

>WHAT HUMANLY-READABLE LANGUAGE IS CLOSEST TO THE METAL?
Assembly. When it comes to programming, Assembly is the apex predator.

>I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE LATEST NEW MODERN not-a-fad LANGUAGES!
Take a look at Rust, Go, Hack, Scala, Julia, Dart, and Erlang.

>THOSE LATEST not-a-fad LANGUAGES WILL GUARANTEE A JOB, RIGHT?
No.

>I STARTED LEARNING [language x] BUT YESTERDAY MY [friend/lecturer/uncle] SAID TO SWITCH TO [language y]. WHAT DO?
You have already started, so stick. That other language will still be there when you are done with your current task.

>Yes and no. You should learn logic and understand how to use the same control structures and design patterns that are present in all programming languages

I agree with this, but don't fall for the "you just need to be able to think programmatically, bro" meme. Unless you're gunning for Google or a company of that tier (the vast majority of companies aren't, so don't rely on it), employers will be looking for someone who knows the tech they use, and if you don't know it, they'll most likely go with someone else who does.

Some form of SQL, and maybe a scripting language like Python. Beyond that, pick up whatever languages are relevant to the kind of software you want to make.

i'm not that guy, but are there offers for half time job in programming ?
I'm not an expert, and i'm a student, I know C and python mostly, did a rewrite of printf in C for school and a game of life for myself on the side to learn python

I did go to university, but nearly all of my programming knowledge is self-taught and, at best, tangentially related to coursework.

Because I had that paper, could talk to people and present myself, and knew how to code my way out of a paper bag, I got a job starting 68k + benefits. Two years later at the same job I now earn over 84k.

Know your domain. If you don't know it - LEARN. Having a solid grasp of the fundamentals, being able to come up with a solution, and knowing what needs to be done to implement it are your bread and butter in software engineering.

>are there offers for half time job in programming ?
There are, but you have to be good enough to get the work done in that short part-time. Unless you mean something else when you say "half time job".

I meant part-time, yes.
How are programming jobs by the way ? I worked on quite a few projects on my side, but nothing too hard or paid. What kind of restrictions would I have to work with ? At school we have minimal access to functions, as we have to make our own lib as our first project. What is expected of a junior dev ?

Expect the complete fucking opposite and having to deal with a wealth of domain-specific and in-house libraries of varying quality.

>How are programming jobs by the way ?
Varies quite widely. Lots of programming is fun, like playing with Lego. Most of the work that you do for yourself (personal projects) or work that is an internal IP is like that. If you are working for a company that gets programming contracts, then the work is usually soul-destroying torture.

>What kind of restrictions would I have to work with ?
-Sometimes, the supervisor or person giving your the project has no idea what technology is actually capable of.
-Unrealistic deadlines.
-Co-workers can be awesome people... or they can be fresh graduates whose programming skills are "copy/paste from stackoverflow"

The benefits of a programming career are great though:
-You can work anywhere
-You are EXTREMELY employable (as long as you can prove your skills)
-Work can be very creative
-Programming is great for anti-social people

>What is expected of a junior dev ?
Varies a lot, depending on what kinda dev you are. Web dev? Application dev? DB? Backend? But generally:
-Be able to research solutions to problems that are new to you.
-Write flexible code.
-Test. Test again. And again.
-Anticipate potential problems, and fix them. Should not have an attitude of "if they did not tell me to fix this, then this is not a problem"

Alright, let me know if I'm ready to apply to jobs yet.

- I have an unrelated major and a minor in CS.
- I can program in python, ruby, and some swift (In these I can implement basic algs and data structures)
-Know SQL, R, Git, Bash

Should I just start applying? What gaps should I fill? I feel like my biggest weakness to fill would be learning C and or Javascript.

I've been self-teaching learning C++, algorithms and design patterns for like a year now, and have been working almost dialy, for about 6 months, on an indie game similar to Dwarf Fortress, which is coming along great, and should have a first playable build in maybe 3-4 months (hard to say, its my first big scale project really). Also been learning Python rather quickly (have no real use for it, so I don't know libraries and stuff, but can move my way around fast of course), and now going through a Java textbook, rather quickly too, as I'm already familiar with most concepts.

Do you think I have good chances? Algorithms, data structures and patterns wise, I think I'm okay, and I make frequent reviews of what I know. Should I put more emphasis on Java, seeing how its the most popular language on the workplace?

>Should I just start applying?
Go ahead.

>What gaps should I fill?
Can you demonstrate your programming knowledge in an interview?

>I feel like my biggest weakness to fill would be learning C and or Javascript.
How is your Python? If it is very good, then both C and JS should be quite easy to pick up, as neither is significantly more difficult.

problem is, I'm not very specialized yet, and have never done web nor SQL, but I always try to bugproof my programs, as we are also graded by a machine that runs a series of tests including a few specific cases.
Anyway thank you for your time, your help is greatly appreciated

>Do you think I have good chances?
You should be fine if you apply to a junior dev position, as long as you can demonstrate your programming knowledge. You should be aware that working on programming as a job is a lot less fun than making your own game.

>This page is not responsive. Make it responsive!
vs
>I should add a new type of beast to the game!

Yeah, I guess I don't really know what I want yet, I think for now I want to open as many doors as possible. Thanks!

Is C really that easy to pick up? I thought there were all sorts of extra shit such as static types and garbage disposal/memory management

Best of luck, anons. The IT world is full of unenthusiastic unintelligent non-programmers who only went to into it because it was "cool"... we need less of them and more of you.

Any opinion on the future of IT, regarding that specifically? Are things getting better, or are there more and more people who don't really care in the field?

It's hard because you have to have significantly good luck or REALLY good connections. Honestly, if you can, head to school/back to it. I'm still trying to actually make it at a real programming job instead of the place I'm at now.

I do light/medium programming at an insurance company that thought computer programming was just SQL and VBA until two years ago because I went to the same college as the CAO. I have a declarative Python script and two C# programs: one that got shitcanned because we're having an external company embed something like my first program and another currently in development that uses MS Office Mail Merge to circumvent not being able to use SMTP to send mass e-mails. I also have some C# scripting experience from this one piece of OCR software that requires a fair bit of it for the company's business rules. I've got a BA but I'm going back to school via night classes for CS, currently in the class before data structures and algorithms, so I know Java from school as well.

Random things:
- JIRA/Confluence exposure
- "Agile"/Scrum exposure
- Git
- SQL and minor DB exposure

I've been told that I should be ok for applying but all of the open positions I've encountered online are looking for senior developers or web developers (I don't know ASP.NET). Am I actually employable, or do I need to stay in the grind even longer? It's pretty rough with my restrictions at work so I hope I can move laterally (not up or down) to a different job until I get further in the CS track.

>code academy
I don't understand why people waste their time on these things instead of going to uni.

>Is C really that easy to pick up?
It is a beginner-recommended language. And you will not be doing memory management early on.

Things are getting worse in IT. There is a general normie view that a programmer is just someone who writes a bit of code without much thinking, and gets paid a lot for it. Lots of people enter the field thinking that this is an easy life, and get shocked when they are presented with problems that need brainwork to be solved. As such, the market is flooded with low quality non-programmers who have some certs, but are practically useless.

If you can write useful programs, you are needed. In fact, if you can program AT ALL, you are better than 99.5% of all programming-job applicants. See the origins of FizzBuzz if you find that hard to believe.

Because uni takes 4 years of your life away?

It's easy to learn, hard to use. Kind of like assembly. Assembly is pretty much just a bunch of really basic operations (like arithmetic, moving to/from memory) with 1-3 operands each. But stringing them together to make an actual program quickly becomes a challenge.

you can't just be an accountant after studying engineering ... that's not how it works

What would you recommend for my situation?

I graduated with a pure math degree. Worked 4 years at a Fortune 500 company doing office work. Got laid off, don't have enough CS courses to get into most Masters/PhD programs and my GPA is low.

Enrolled at a nearby college started taking CS courses to bump my GPA and fulfull pre-req for graduate programs... so happens this local college is a nationally ranked and well-respected one. The courses are hard.

Aced my first programming course (Java), enrolled in a second semester programming course (already finishing the assignments early and tutoring others).

Where can I apply job wise? I am "new" to CS, but am thus far proving myself very capable...

I took Discrete Math (got an A+) in my math degree but sitting in a Discrete Course now for review. Plan to take Data Structures next fall if money doesn't run out. I have 0 income right now.

I'm a high school drop out, making $80k as a web developer.

It's very doable, stay focused and motivated.

here there are no jobs for A+ certification outside minimum wage jobs working at some phone repair shop that will go under

MCSA will land you a job for $12 an hour working at godaddy, some other obscure web hosting company, a call center, or once in a blown moon level 1 help desk at a school.

RHCSA will land you a job for $12 an hour working at godaddy or some other obscure web hosting company that springs up only to go defunct in a year or two.

RHCE with no prior experience will land you a job at godaddy for $13 - $15 an hour or some other obscure web hosting company that will go defunct in a year or two.

MCSE with no prior experience will land you a job at godaddy for $13 - $15 an hour, some other obscure web hosting company, a call center, or once in a blown moon level 2 help desk at a school or small - medium business.

RHCE + Net+ (ccent) with no prior experience will land you a job at godaddy for $13 - $15 an hour or some other obscure web hosting company that will go defunct in a year or two.

MCSE + Net+ (ccent) or CCNA with experience might land you a job at honeywell for salary (35k or less a year) working as a junior admin.

RHCE + CCNA with experience might land you a job at honeywell for salary (35k or less a year) working as a junior admin.

RHCE + Security+ + CCNA with experience might land you a job at government level or school district for salary (45k or less a year) working as a junior or intermediate admin.

MCSE + Security+ + Net+ (ccent) with experience might land you a job at government level or school district for salary (45k or less a year) working as a junior or intermediate admin.

Overall IT out here is pretty shit unless you're highly trained or slightly trained + some sort of bachelors in business management. A bachelors in business management + a MCSA or RHCSA along with a net+ can land you land you a job at government level, business, or school district for salary working as a manager to an IT department for 60k a year.

>but am thus far proving myself very capable...

Yeah 3 weeks into your 2nd semester of programming courses. You don't actually know anything yet, keep learning.

Made a 99 in my first programming course
3 weeks into second course and carrying it forward
Made an A+ in Discrete
Think I'd make an A in it if I took it again
Plan to take Data Structures next Fall...

Problem is these courses are $2,500 a pop. I have 0 income, 0 jobs. I need something to tid me over so I can continue taking courses...

What do you recommend?

I already have a BS in Pure Math, 4 years work experience office job. Made over 80k one year in a low cost of living city.

Tough, man. Web developers that can crank out React JS code and CSS with Python or Go can make great coin without a degree. But it's tough to go without a degree. I don't know.

>Where can I apply job wise?
Apply to what? Programming is like engineering: You have to specialize, or look for a specific type of job. An electronics engineer is quite different from a civil engineer.

For programmers, you have:
-Web developers - Front end, back end, or full stack
-Mobile developers - Currently Android or iOS
-Software developers - With sub-types like game developers
-Embedded programming - Working with microcontrollers

And there is other CS/IT stuff that is just as important
-Databases
-Security
-Networking

You have to know what you are good at, and what you want to do! But now you have a rough idea of what is out there.

Here are some questions I might ask you in an interview based on what I know right now.

1. Explain to me the difference between the "rebase" and "merge" commands in Git (What do they actually do?).
2. In Bash, how would you work with floating point integers?
3. In Python or Ruby, implement a method to check whether a given integer is prime.
4. I have just selected a card from a standard deck of playing cards. Describe what process you would follow to determine which card I selected by asking the fewest number of yes/no questions.

I've literally never been asked about my education. There is no education category on my Resume either.

>self teach in HS
>well rounded skillset
>guy from HS starts a startup
>offers me a job
>sure
>pretty successful startup
not giving the name for obvious reasons

I like #4! Going to add it to my collection.

programming is like art. you need that creative mindset where you can craft something in your mind as clearly as if you where seeing it in person with your own two eyes and jizz it all over a canvas nearly perfectly. i tried to dabble in programming but quickly realized i'm not creative. i couldn't sit there and think of something myself and then miraculously create it. i needed guidance. something to go off. if someone gave me their code i can quickly learn it and figure out how it works quickly. actually i would become more proficient with their code than they are but to create something myself? well give me two week and MAYBE i could think of some simple program that can rip everything off a porn site. but even then i would probably google first to try to find something to base off of.

i guess i would be create for QA since i can easily troubleshoot code and fix their shit for them, but that's it.

>4. I have just selected a card from a standard deck of playing cards. Describe what process you would follow to determine which card I selected by asking the fewest number of yes/no questions.
[spoiler]Is it binary search on the color, and then on the number?[/spoiler]

great* i also suck at english.

I knew more about CS when I was 12 than you do now.

Not trying to be a dick, but CS is something you have to have a passion for to get noticed. Paper still goes too long of a way these days, but it won't for long.

That said, in most CS jobs your portfolio will carry you. Build your portfolio and apply places. You will be fine.

Also, Java died in 2008.

Indeed

You could even give an arbitrary value to the color, like 1 to 4, and multiply the number of the card with that color number to get only one sequence to look in, and a shorter time most likely.

>In Bash, how would you work with floating point integers?
I once implemented IEEE 32bit floats entirely in bash arithmetic.

>2. In Bash, how would you work with floating point integers?
It won't be shorter time. As long as you are dividing the set of possible options in half with each question, that is as fast as you are going to get short of just guessing at random and getting lucky.

You haven't even graduated yet you cunt

Also, ignore the greentext. I dun goofed

Are you sure? At max you are gonna have 2 comparisons to make for the colors, and 5 comparisons for the card numbers. With all the cards in one go from, 1 to 52, you get a max of 5 comparisons.

If you think of programming in abstract unattainable terms, referring to it as "art" I think you are setting yourself up for failure. Programming is not an art, it is a means to an end; a tool to get the job done. If you already have exposure to core concepts, you can generate the skeleton of that scraping program without googling.

Of course you are going to research something the first time you do it because you have no context, why is that a bad thing? Don't make it out to something that it's not, and just get your hands dirty and do it.

>Also, Java died in 2008.
It was all a quality shitpost until we got to this line which announces to everyone that you haven't ever stepped foot into the industry.

Why do you need 5 comparisons to determine which of 13 cards you have?

How do you get way with only 5 to determine which of 52 cards?

isn't it not widely used anymore, but used mild in a few environments that need simple, niche specialized, cross-platform applications?

Ah yeah, you are right, it doesn't change anything, it's actually 6 comparisons no matter what.

With a deck of 52 cards the max comparisons is 6 because it falls in between 2^5 and 2^6. The most efficient path is always to ask a question that splits the remaining options 50/50.

question - cards remaining after question
1 - 26
2 - 13
3 - 7
4 - 4
5 - 2
6 - 1

Asking about color reduces it to 26, following up with suit brings it to 13. From that point you have to determine the number, but it's no different than the way you described.

$40k is fucking impressive for six months. I spent about a year or two teaching myself after getting out of the guard. First job was like $15/hr part-time.

It's widely used server side and in Android development.

It's actually pretty comfy server side. Better libraries and type safety than Python, better error handling and memory safety than C++, better tooling and portability than C#.

>Programming is not an art
I only partially agree with this. Programming is a tool, as you said. However, it is a tool which is used to express logic both as a science and an art. The process of developing logical statements is often a creative one (Hence the reason why computers haven't replaced my job yet)

I don't even see how coding could be replaced by machine, because then you'd need a language of some sort to tell the machine what kind of project you want, right? In the end, it'd be just adding another layer of abstraction to the whole thing, although it might be easier at the user end.

>because then you'd need a language of some sort to tell the machine what kind of project you want, right?
I don't see how you came to that conclusion. You would simply write a neural network simulator and run genetic algorithms to select for the neural nets which produce the best results. You could use whatever language you wanted for that. The problem is that there isn't enough computing power available to run such a thing on modern hardware with known techniques.

I didn't need to.

Degrees in CS are dirt. Very expensive dirt. An impressive portfolio blows out a degree every time.

They used to have human linkers who would splice in libraries in the correct place on paper tape. I'm sure you could write software's in an hour that would take a dozen people a week in 1960.

Coding is more and more automated, but we're still at the point where more automation means making more awesome stuff.

Do not confuse old companies using old tech to new companies using new tech. Java is dead. D-E-D. I will be more than surprised to see Java in 2020. The hype died a decade ago and everyone moved on.

How did you get to the point where you have a regular stream of clients and projects?

Startup right our of hs?
Can you give a hint what the startup is about?

Paper is useless. I make more passive on my lowest earning website than you could with your PhD in any job. Leave your dick at the door.

Stop hiding behind education. The world is built by people with passion. Any idiot can get a degree in anything with patience and debt. There's a reason employers want to see you github.

Also, you may be smarter than 99% of your classmates, but they will still be better than you in the real world.

web design sometimes software for automation in businesses

No they aren't. I worked for 4 years. Did you not read that? None of them have a degree + experience like I do.

I'm not hiding behind education. I got a degree in math, bit different than CS. So, I went back to school (over bootcamp) to study CS formally.

I'm not that poster, but as a fellow self-employed developer: I started taking essentially no money and proving myself. I think my first contract took me a week and I made $50 or thereabouts. You just keep taking peanuts until you feel confident that you have some good work to show off, then start asking for more. Repeat as necessary and eventually you're making a livable income.

It pretty much is. Only one of the Engineers where I work even has an engineering degree. One has a master in biology.

What is your question?

Make it basic as I don't have a degree.

my question was how do i get a junior dev jobs without a cs degree

A decent portfolio and a near-mastery of your chosen language.

You also need to have a likable personality. It's arguably more important than your ability to code at the junior level.

ok how do i determine what to put on github? im a perfectionist and feel like im too new to display anything.

My school projects etc could all be written better.

>>reddit link

don't be like this guy

Everything you make has a goal. Even if what you make just adds 'x' to 'y'. Once something accomplishes that goal you add it to your github.

Occasionally minimize your code so it's more efficient.

If you want to really impress then launch your own projects. Create an account on angel.co and brag modestly in your profile. Show interest in local startups.

Is your card red?
Is your card a number card (if yes)*
Is your card even (if yes*)
Is your card divisible by 3 (leaving only and 5 and 7)

*face cards shorten the process
is your card 5? (if no then 7)

I dare you to do it withe fewer steps, ti's easier if it's a face card

did it in 5