What does Sup Forums think of low end 11" laptops and convertibles? are they worth it for everyday carrying and school

what does Sup Forums think of low end 11" laptops and convertibles? are they worth it for everyday carrying and school

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12175408
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i'm thinking of getting an hp stream 360x for very lightweight illustrator and photoshop stuff ( just opening the .ai and .psd )

they serve no purpose other than being cheap

And portable as fuck. Then again, who really needs an i7.

I installed Ubuntu on a HP Stream 11since it was too shit to run Win10 (which is preinstalled btw).
It's awesome.
>blazing fast
>portable as fuck
>great battery life
>after tweaking some drivers, it works perfectly
I use it to code some not too ressource hungry C++ physics equations, watch anime, browse 4kek, play VA-11 Hall A and it works perfectly well.

so were netbooks

They're pretty cool, but now there are 13" laptops with tiny bezels, making 13" the best size for portability and usability.

I don't see a problem with them for typing on a word processor and browsing your email. Sup Forums and it's must have high end macbook for browsing Sup Forums meme must end.

Best laptops:

Low-Tier
>Inspiron 11 3000

Mid-Tier
>Chromebook

God-Tier
>Thinkpad

Also, survey:
strawpoll.me/12175408

Better off with an iPad Pro or a Surface.

Seriously, if you're a student, invest in a tablet that has a digitizer. You'll be glad you did. I'd recommend the iPad over the Surface or the Galaxy Note line because third parties actually go out of their way to support the Apple Pencil, whereas that's not as common on Android or Windows.

I recently got the latest low-end Acer Aspire One 11 and while it can certainly get basic stuff done open a couple more tabs or visit a more demanding website and you can really feel it struggle

Is it worth it? If you can't afford anything better yeah. If you can shell out a couple hundred bucks just get yourself an ultrabook and you'll save yourself quite some time and pain.

Get a low end laptop and and use remote desktop connection to your home desktop.

get a thinkpad

I'm about to do this with an ASUS T200TA Transformer Book my girlfriend discarded on me. She said it was too damn slow. It has Win8 from the factory.

So now I'm working on figuring out what distro to put on it. Thinking Ubuntu but not sure. Other than missing the power brick it's in great shape.

I'm excited. I sort of need a new laptop and I think if I can get this one working well this should be nice. Touch screen and detachable keyboard. Don't appreciate the integrated battery though.

This survey can tell you the best distro.
strawpoll.me/12175408

Why though? I could type equations in LateX faster than using a digitizer/pen...
Paper+pencil for normal courses, laptop for programming stuff

I got an X205TA for like €200 mid 2015.
Great choice in hindsight, probably the best €200 I ever spent on tech stuff.
Thoughts:
- Small keyboard makes it great for typing and programming exercises.
- Fanless + SSD is a great combination as in zero sound, also 9h battery is really 9h
- Screen angles, backlight and speakers are subpar (goes for that HP as well btw) so it's not good for say watching movies with others (get a tablet for that).
- Some tasks are noticeably slow: pdftex, decompressing, copying large/many files etc
- 2GB is almost fine, I run lots of programs at the same time and only at ~20 JS-ridden tabs on FF it will show signs of slowness

If there was anything ~30% faster, 1" larger and 1080p and everything else the same I would 100% get it. But when I look at the ~€800 starting prices for nice i3 laptops I'm pretty comfy with having spent 1/4th of that.

For an underpowered machine though? I want to do Ubuntu but I feel it might be too much to get great performance out of it.

I'd be using a 10" convertible right now if laptop ones existed for under a grand

post specs

>smal noteboook
no

You should probably do some research to see what distro has the best support for it. I was going to recommend Debian because it runs great on my Acer Aspire One 532h, and Asus Eee PC 901, but it looks like it the T200TA doesn't work well. There are probably work-arounds, but Ubuntu(or a variant) might make for the best OOTB experience.

It's a T200TA Transformer book so:
>Intel Bay Trail-T Quad Core Z3795 1.59 GHz ~ 2.39 GHz Processor
>4GB LPDDR3 RAM
>11.6" 16:9 IPS HD (1366x768) with Multi Touch
>Integrated Intel HD Graphics (no way around this one I don't think)
>64GB eMMC storage in the actual "tablet" part (Also has a 2.5" bay in the keyboard bottom for expansion, and a MicroSD slot so I could potentially pack quite a bit of storage on this guy.)

I did some research already, I'm probably going to go Ubuntu, but I want an actual opinion from Sup Forums to see if you guys can come up with anything better.
Ubuntu apparently isn't hard to get working on this guy anymore, driver support has expanded so that it's not hard getting the accelerometer, sound, wifi and touch screen working.
I was also thinking that lighter distro of Solus, it's a very attractive OS.

Maybe this thing could run Ubuntu. Other ones I looked at while loading up my old HP Compaq was Lubuntu (which is on that old HP and works beautifully) or LXLE..LXLE looked nice but it's a way downstream release so I shied away from it. I don't feel like Lubuntu or LXLE would work well on something that isn't a PC or a true laptop, either. Maybe I'm wrong but I just have a feeling.

I'm new to Linux so like I said maybe Ubuntu is fine, but I'm so used to over-speccing stuff to account for Winbloat.

I have an Ideapad 100s

ask me anything about it

they're awesome for installing linux on them

try mint or gentoo or arch

Some of the chinese ones with atoms and 4gb of ram are nice.

I used an Ideapad 100s throughout my last year of college. Just over $100 and it worked for classwork and programming all goddamn day on a single charge.

The atom processors they use are shit for anything compute intensive or media consumption, but for general web browsing, document work and programming they're pretty fucking good.

Chromebook+Teamviewer=$150 laptop that can do anything your remote computers can. No worries about stealing or breaking because it's cheaper to replace than upgrade or repair.

And it will actually hold a charge for 8+ hours regardless of how cpu intensive your work is so you don't have to be one of those tethered laptop assholes always looking for a plug.

These 10-11" Win tablet/laptops are perfectly fine. The only thing they won't do is AAA gaming. And if you can't stand not being able to play AAA games when you leave your house, you got other problems other than picking out a laptop.

I have pic related, it's good as a secondary, you don't have to carry charger etc. and it can play 4k..

Yep, if you also manage to score one with the 2930 Celeron CPU (quad core instead of dual) and 4GB of RAM you're pretty much set. Slap a cheapo or hand-me-down SSD in there and you have a killer shitposting machine.