I want to learn computing. from where i have to start?

I want to learn computing. from where i have to start?

Other urls found in this thread:

Sup
math.harvard.edu/~shlomo/docs/Advanced_Calculus.pdf
cglab.ca/~michiel/DiscreteStructures/
youtube.com/channel/UCG96LXNYz9x7eTqSRtQ2R9A
in-addr.nl/security-books.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

buy a computer

1. data structures (2 years)
2. algorithms (2 years)
3. programming languages (90 days)

Add 4 years of advanced math to the beginning if you aren't already good at it

>programming languages (90 days)

I wish someone told me this before I spent 6 years of my life learning C

dont listen to this retard, computing is easy, especially math and algorithms.

can be done in 6 months if u spend 15 hours a day.

Or in 3 months if you spend 30 hours a day

sicp should cover the first two, you don't need advanced math if you are not interested in rendering. choice of programming language is only relevant if you are looking for jobs.

Wipe your ass and wash your hands before you touch a keyboard, pajeet.

dude you can't approach computing the same way as a classical studies subject. this isn't 1970.

the best you can hope for is to specialize in one aspect of computing and know your own little cog in the machine inside and out.

Also note, if you read all these books and understand them working at google would be like adding 1+1.

More books :
Computer architecture series
The art of Electronics
Computer networking : Top Down approach
How does it know?
Inside the machine
X86 assembly

True, computing got too big and its almost impossible to have a full grasp on everything

The Linux kernel book
Linux network programming
Intel x86 manual (4k pages)
Reversing : the secrets of reverse engineering
Hacking: the art of exploitation

>this is what brainlets actually believe.

You should know a little bit of everything and then specialize and gain depth in areas you work in.

>You should know a little bit of everything and then specialize and gain depth in areas you work in.

good advice if you are training to be a 15th century alchemist.

shitty advice if you want to learn computing.

How many of those books have you read user? I bet all of them? Or are u jerking off on ctrl c ctrl v keys on stackoverflow

learn variables, learn data types, learn arrays, learn simple if/then statements and for/while loops, learn how whatever language you like takes user input and outputs to screen. you are 90% there. takes about a week to a month if you have average IQ

The beginning

This. Once you have learned this let your imagination run wild and build stuff and learn along the way. Good balance with learning fundamentals and being creative is what worked for me.

Yeah, it's impossible to learn both fizzbuzz and bubble sort at the same time. You have to pick one and master it.

Learn about dongles. They are the future of computing.

There's a surprising amount of Pajeets on this thread.

t. brainlet

Not op, but I'm a junior chem major and want to switch into EECS at my school. Should I just self learn and finish the chem degree and do masters or change into EECS and spend another two years?

Thanks.

What do you want to do; EE, CpE, or CS? If it's CS then pick up a minor/double in math and self study CS. You can then do a masters in CS later.

Sup Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering

Do all the fundamentals and a several special topics.

Thanks! I am kind of interested in both the hardware and software. CompE would probably be the best for me.

Why not 0 if you do 3 months a day?

What if you suck at math

communications is an alright major

But i like computers

If you don't have a doctorate in a math related field, becoming anything more than a panjeet level codemonkey is out of your reach.

you can make powerpoints

you know how to use powerpoint, right?

Obviously

Middle school kids can do that shit

Why are these books so hard to read, i have a few and they are pretty heavy for non native English speaker.

Then you learn math, and learn something like assembly/C along the way.
You'll be better in math quite fast, gone the same route.

Math Preliminary

Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang

Buy/Pirate this book (he's dead). It's highschool math, from the perspective of a Mathematician. You will learn up Pre-Calculus and be prepared for rigorous proofs later.

An Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning" by Peter J Eccels

This changes you from rote drilling and being a human calculator in highschool to learning what math actually is, and what proofs do. Excellent, excellent book.

How to Solve It by G. Polya

How to do proofs, written in 1940s and still for sale in every Chapters/B&N bookstore to this day because it's the best proof helper that exists.

Welcome to Proofs

Calculus" by Spivak

Actually, you are learning ANALYSIS, in addition to calculus. Torrent the 3rd edition w/the answer book. This is a fucking hard assed book, you may be better off reading "Advanced Calculus" which is actually easier, as the intro points out that Spivak's exercises are difficult as shit: math.harvard.edu/~shlomo/docs/Advanced_Calculus.pdf

Discrete Math Intro

cglab.ca/~michiel/DiscreteStructures/ it also comes with lectures on jewtubes youtube.com/channel/UCG96LXNYz9x7eTqSRtQ2R9A Doing real discrete math and probability.

Linear Algebra by Friedberg, Insel and Spence

Get the latest version (piracy). It's proof centric, this will come in handy later when you need to understand some Linear applications and don't know how something works so can revert back to your training in LA in proofs. LA is heavily, heavily used in all game programming. Also in cryptography and numerous other CompSci fields.

Thanks user, this is definitely useful stuff.

because they are written by autistic people. their writing style is best understood by a computer, not a human being.

I just wish there were easier books with the same information.
There are a few books really good and understandable for non native speakers but the majority is academic level English.

Then you learn it, you can learn math if you want to.

or you can stop time and do it seemingly instantly

that last book

fuck i lost it

First learn about "information".
This will give you as soft entry into the topic. Everything in computing is about information and what to do with it.
Torrent this: pirate.trade/torrent/13576007/TTC_Video_-_The_Science_of_Information_%5B24_Lectures%5D (24x 30min video lectures)

Then get 's math books and learn a mainstream programming language (like C, Java or Phyton)

Someone asks a question and gets an answer in the form of a best of list. Why can't more people be like you senpai?

Anyone got a recommended reading list for:
Cyber Security(inb4 leet haxor)
and
DSP and VST plugin design

>can be done in 6 months if u spend 15 hours a day.
> if u spend 15 hours a day.
>15 hours a day.
Maybe.
In real life, I would probably need like 2-3 months to finish any of these books on the side, since most of them also give you tasks to apply the content. This means I would need like 6-9 years to finish all 36 books. ;((

in-addr.nl/security-books.php

>in-addr.nl/security-books.php
thank you

but those years are going to pass no matter what you do and you will more than likely still be alive, so would you rather know this shit when that time comes or still be a dumb fuck? think long term my man

A someone who sucks at maths but is somewhat good at logic, should I skip the math learning process?

You forgot control structures. That should be the main thing that all beginners should focus on until they really understand.

It's possible and is why many schools offer a doctorate in computer science. Most people aren't up to the task though.

Underrated post.

Why are Japanese papers so hard to read, I have a few and they are pretty heavy for non native weeaboo

Same problem here, it takes too much time to get most of it because of the way it's written.

That's not a newspaper, it's an advanced text book.
No wonder you were having problems.

find one of those tunnels made of ones and zeros

can be done in 15 days if you spend 6 months a week

Little heavy on the time needed to learn data structures and algorithms, but this post has it the most accurate, as far as I can tell.

Algebra is a must, calculus is preferred. If you suck at either/both, goto Khan Academy first and learn at least up to Euler's Identity (it is in the calculus section... you literally cannot miss it... it is the single most important thing in mathematics depending on who you ask).

Then you should just jump into writing shitty, useless programs in either Python, C++, or Java (maybe Ruby?) Fumble a bit and get your bearings on straight, then start learning Data Structures and Algorithms.

Im not sure what the field is like elsewhere, but at Rutgers, the trend was that most people failed Data Structures their first semester taking it (Algorithms too), and would then understand it loosely enough to flounder through the class "successfully" the next semester. Princeton U was more of a "learn it enough to ace the test on the first try successfully and then forget" kind of vibe. Anyhoo, learn some C and Unix during this time (probably after Data Structures but before Algorithms) and if you took the time to pay attention and really LEARN what you sought to learn, then you are more or less a gray-beard. Masters degrees are overrated. Most of the graduate students I talked to had less of a grip on the material than I did.

In short, though... start with algebra/calc, learn some basic programming (conditional jumps [i.e. "if" in any high level language] and loops) in an object oriented language, learn about classes maybe (a brief primer should suffice), and then hit the DS and Algs. Throw in some C and Unix for some more practical skills, and choose a research topic that you actually care about for mastery of the CS subject.

Because weebs

Oh right, I forgot... computer organization is key to understanding a lot of things. Understanding topics like "random access" and the "run-time stack" (not to be confused with the stack data-structure) are key to actually understanding run-time and complexity.

Also, dont just read about C. If you want to be a great programmer (vs a wannabe) you really need to put in some blood, sweat, tears, and maybe bile into the endless loop of failed and half-made projects that is/are C-programming. So many crucial and subtly tricky topics are illustrated in the language that are (again) crucial to really understanding the theory.

Follow a course at Edx.org. At the moment there is one called introduction to computer science and programming with python from MIT. Spend every week watching the weekly videos (approx 1.5 hours of consumption) and then doing the assignments (depending in your level between 6hours and 1 hour). Peer learning is built in, so when you get stuck, you can reach out to fellow students who will help you.

Course finishes end of April. You will be able to write your first programmes in Python by then.

CS50 is also good course for beginners to start

>>text book
>clearly a journal paper

>the trend was that most people failed Data Structures their first semester taking it (Algorithms too),

Not true, the nonmajors ace those courses with final grades curved above 100%.