How much of a difference will good thermal paste makes over a cheapo Chinese tube?

How much of a difference will good thermal paste makes over a cheapo Chinese tube?

30g for $1.5 seems just a little too good to be true.

Other urls found in this thread:

overclocking.guide/thermal-paste-roundup-2015-47-products-tested-with-air-cooling-and-liquid-nitrogen-ln2/
youtube.com/watch?v=kSCVahyh3Dk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it's ten dollars

TEN DOLLARS

Is it REALLY worth possibly fucking up your CPU over TEN FUCKING DOLLARS

overclocking.guide/thermal-paste-roundup-2015-47-products-tested-with-air-cooling-and-liquid-nitrogen-ln2/

>possibly fucking up your CPU

lmaoing @ u

Make sure it is white.

The black stuff steals.

Wtf do you need so much of it for? How are you so poor?

>relevant image

The Chinese stuff is literally grease. The other is thermal compound. You decide.

It's thirty grams

THIRTY GRAMS

Is it really worth possibly 2°c lower temps just so you can SPEND MORE while RECEIVING LESS

the fuck is this shit? where is mayo? where is cum?

go fucking shill your site somewhere else

>bought 3.5g of trusted thermal paste for $10
>already used on 3 cpus and 2 gpus, always resulting in several degree drop from stock shitgrease
>still over half remaining
It will extend your parts' life either by keeping them cooler or by letting you OC, by much more than spending those $10 extra on a $10 more expensive cpu/gpu would (if there was such an option).
And it will last you 3-8 builds.
Your call.

A tube of MX-4 is $7, and is the best paste on the market without dropping $20 on Kryomeme, there is zero excuse for cheaping out over $5

In 2. quarter 2005 Coollaboratory released as first product the worldwide first liquid metal heat conduction paste under the name “Coollaboratory Liquid Pro”. That bat the until then known reference pastes on base of metal oxide and other nonmetallic materials clearly and pointed the way, which Coollaboratory stroked in for the future. The development department of the company Coollaboratory researches on different ranks and has aimed at dissolving the partly serious problems in the thermo-dynamic with new and innovative products.

-Taken from Coolaboratory website
If they'd just send me a tube, I'd re-do their atrocious English. As it stands now, I would not buy a single product from them.

would you say its worth it change out h110i stock paste?

Yes but isn't the point to fill in air gaps? Wasn't mayonnaise tested to be pretty good?

So why wouldn't thermal grease work?

It's probably more like chassis grease than anything. Just get some mx-4 like says, it lasts 7 years

So the Kryonaut by far the best overall

Got it.

fuck metal pastes

What about grey?

Fancy grease is a few bucks more and a few degrees C better. But the main reason to get it is that it doesn't dry out like no-name zinc oxide crap does.

yes.

no need to sperlge on $30 paste, but a tube of noctua NH-1 is just waht you need.

Get MX-4 best bang for her buck paste

Half-black is still black, user.

>by far the best

$30 paste at best 1-2 degrees cooler than much cheaper alternatives

Kryonaut is also like $15-20 for a TINY tube with incredibly small gains over something like GC Extreme or MX-4

I said best, not best bang 4 buck

Metal shit is not in my list to ever use because it fucks with shit.

>it doesn't dry out like no-name zinc oxide crap does.
This is really important.

>but a tube of noctua NH-1 is just waht you need.
Yes, a lot of good aftermarket coolers come with its own paste. Noctua gives you a small syringe of their H1 stuff, which is 11th place on that list.

So just buy a good cooler and get good free paste with it.

Just remember, even if you shell out the bucks for the really top end stuff, if you suck shit at applying it, you just wasted money anyway.

You'd have to apply it really, really poorly for something to go noticeably wrong though.

really not that expensive desu

>aeronaut
>not kryonaut

Ya gotta read the actual name

>fucking up your CPU

1-3 degree difference, not much else.

>small syringe

its actaully a pretty sizable syringe.

you can also buy it for $10, I find it performs much better than AS5.

would soldering the cpu be a good idea?

Yeah do this

I once brought a chinese thermal paste, it was pretty similar to your photo dark silverish grey

Made some test and the results were like
Mx4 55c°
No paste 70c°
Chinese paste 85c°

I somehow doubt that.

I shit your not
It actually made my pc run hotter
In my tounge we say "dovemo fa a fidasse" since I can not provide proofs

go for the 30g. it can take quite a bit of thermal paste sometimes (at least more than you think) to get proper temps.

youtube.com/watch?v=kSCVahyh3Dk

It can make a signficant difference. Just get the good stuff OP. I've been using the same tube for years now.

Thought you were serious until that video.

video is legit MSi certified worksmanship mate, are you saying you know better than a fucking gamer brand?

You infidel.

that right one is for macbooks. all of it

>I somehow doubt that
Shitty thermal paste turns into an insulator almost immediately in most cases

I thought everyone was using Arctic Silver. Did I fall for a meme?

It's fine, user. You did alright.

>Sup Forums
>serius
pick one

yes you did

Yep. Liquid metal is the new thing for cooling

as a matter of fact, 99% of the users need thermal paste, like, once or twice a year
getting a 30g lube means you're wasting a lot of the product for a single 10 dollars one-time expense

1g of phobya lm and you're settled spending less than mx-4 (4g are, actually, already too much)

What?

>How much of a difference will good thermal paste makes over a cheapo Chinese tube?

Measurable but irreverent for all but the most autistic of setups.

Thinner pastes with finer particles and higher conductivity will perform significantly better, make better contact, and need to be replaced less often.

30g is also more TIM than you're likely to use in a lifetime

No. It's grease as in, engine lubricant, being sold as TIM. It's a chinese scam

Oiling your fan (peel back the sticker on the hub; there's an oil port underneath) so it runs well will probably make a far larger difference than which thermal paste you use.

What many of you don't get is that the cheap shit is going to be conductive, and that you suck at applying thermal paste.

You will NEVER USE 95% of those thirty grams, and it's 30 grams of GARBAGE

I bought 20g MX-4 five years ago, already used, like, half of it. Never say never, user. It's like anal lube: at first you think "why would I need a gallon of it", and then you realize that it's not going to hurt if you have an extra.

I used that shitty chinese stuff for an old pentium, works fine, but i wouldn't use it for anything else personally.

>spending 1000+ on a PC
>being this cheap
kys

>...need to be replaced less often.

The old change your cooling paste ever maymay.

Unless you plan to use those 30g as lube, it will reach expiration period before you could use 5g
I'd only buy this shit if I was making prebuilts for a shop or something, I've used I think 4g of thermal paste for the past 3 years, for my computer, for other computers and laptops etc, used like probably 10 times at least and there's still left for one or two applications

Yep.

I buy HY400 by 500/1000G tubs, basically the same thing they use in laptops and GPUs, and go through them pretty regularly, but I work on repairing computers for a living.

They have the HY500/700 too but I don't really see the need.

I'd like to see a source on that.

how many times do you apply thermal paste on your device(s) in a year?
how much thermal paste do you pour on your cpu?

inb4 "all of it"

>he applies old thermal paste from a syringe opened half a decade ago
absolutely savage

Thermal paste is a meme. There is absolutely no resson to ever re-apply it. Unless you're using the same processor for over 6 years you should just leave it be. You're more likely to upgrade your PC by the time applying new paste would be necessary.

Nah should be replaced every 3 years in a laptop and 4 years in a desktop.

>Liquid metal is the new thing for cooling
>Liquid metal
>new thing
Arctic silver has been around for at least a decade mate.

That's not liquid metal.

Use gallium for the perfect molecular bond

You will actually notice a difference in cheap ceramic shit vs silver based paste
You should be able to find 1.5g tubes of as5 for less than 5$
And thats definitely worth it, not in the sense of total temp difference, but in temperature changes
Cheap paste will transfer the heat, but slowly, so you get very dramatix temperature changes which are very bad for a cpu
Unlike with better paste wherte the heat is transfered quickly, meaning the temperature change is more gradual as the heatsink warms up

Or just machine the two surfaces to be completely parallel even on an atomic level

Could you actually use gallium as thermal compound?
I have some lying around, i wonder if it would work or just seep out the sides

Its melting point is ~30 degC

kryonaut - If you have the money and need the best low risk paste
gc extreme - price performance best to have
arctic silver 5 - most places not specializing in pcs will carry this, a very good paste but not the best.

its potentially electrical conductive, and could get more fluid as it heats up to the point something drips.

call me paranoid, but a brand that lives and dies by how good it is > nameless shit,

the point is to cover a surface and its pours and transfer heat.

sure, other things CAN do this too, but will it last a week? a month? will the cheaper compound weld the heatsink to the cpu when it dries? how long will it last?

If the nameless shit was good, they would name it and sell it as something good, not quantity unless you are an oem that bought bulk for business.

well put a drop of gallium on the cpu and one on heatsink
heat it with hairdryer and heat the heatsink too until it is melt and fused
then put these 2 together and make the cpu heat and it melts both metals to gether and you have a 100% heat transfer

every 2 or so years because when it fucking welds to the lid of the cpu you could damage the cpu trying to get that shit off.

depending on the paste, 2-4 years of life is what you should expect, replacing it earlier makes doing so easier.

>use nvidia gpu
>entire computer becomes liquid metal for extra cooling

>fucking up your CPU
This doesn't happen.
What does happen is your computer suddenly shutting off because the CPU can't keep its temprature down.
Which is very annoying.

But shilling for western resellers is just retarded.

All prebuilt computers use cheapo Chinese paste. There is literally no reason to spend ten fucking dollars for "enthusiast" thermal paste.