/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

For all your stupid needs / for questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Old thread: Consider trying these first:
startpage.com/ or duckduckgo.com (i.e., fucking google it)
stackexchange.com/
logicalincrements.com/

You are NOT entitled to an answer.

With that in mind, ask away.

Other urls found in this thread:

liri.io/
pcpartpicker.com/list/
pcpartpicker.com/list/Zbt9yf
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZmBhGf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

are DE9 cables used for anything anymore? I found a few female-to-female ones

Are there any other VPNs that offer as many countries as HMA??
I want to shitpost on Sup Forums with rare flags

Thank you for using anime image

What's the best pay-as-you-go SIM card provider in the UK?

Does the honor 8 have good audio

Hooking up serial devices. You can also use a null modem cable to talk to ancient computers. I did it to transfer files to and from a 286 using an i7.

read Torrentfreak's VPN guide. note that VPN servers from any provider may well be banned on Sup Forums since you are far from the first person to have this idea.

Here's Akari shooting down a UFO

>steam on debian
>thinks my ext4 partition is read only and refuses to make a game folder. what exactly should i put in fstab to make it automatically mount as writeable?

For installing python 3, does it matter which version? 3.4 vs 3.5 vs 3.6 for example, or should I just go for the latest one? Will some be better or more stable than the others or something?

Change ro to rw. That shouldn't happen though, you may have some kind of permissions issue. I run Steam on Debian and if I remember correctly it puts games under your home directory. I'm presuming you didn't deny yourself write permission in your own home directory.

Whatever's most recent. There'll be various bugfixes and small changes in recent versions, but nothing major like the Python 2 -> Python 3 transition. If you have Python 3 code then the minor version shouldn't matter.

rw option, or more commonly, defaults option (automatically enables rw and other useful flags).

Does default make it mount on boot? also, is there any reason to put the uuid instead of /dev/sdX?

I'm trying to make a new steam game folder on a second drive. hard drive with nfts partition for windows games and ext4 for linux

3.6 is the latest stable release. You generally want to download that.

The unstable versions are labeled "(dev)", currently Python 3.7 is dev I think.

Yes, so long as it is on fstab it'll mount on boot.

UUID's are unique to each device whereas /dev/sdX labels are not (they depend on the order of the disks).

IF you change your disk orders often, it's safer to use UUID's lest fstab mount the wrong drive. If you don't mess with that, then using /dev/sdX is fine (I'm too lazy to use put the UUID's so I use the /dev/sdX labels).

When I'm installing Linux
Is it ok to put my home on a different drive to my root? Is home where stuff like steam games and downloads get stored?

BTW the flag is called defaults (not default). It enables auto as well which makes it mount automatically on boot.

>all those new firms wanting a wordpress pro
What the hell is there even to learn in wordpress?

>Is it ok to put my home on a different drive to my root?
Nothing bad will happen to you as long as you have sufficient space on both
>Steam games
Yes, unless you create a steam library elsewhere
>Downloads
Yes, by default unless you direct each individual software to put them in a different place

How do i reset the printer pad in an epson printer?

Downloads go to /home/, while games and other programs are sometimes installed on /home/, other times on the rootfs. Steam games normally are installed on /home/.

The advantages of having a separate /home/ partition is that you can swipe your root partition and install a new (Unix-like) OS while keeping your home partition intact. If you do backups regularly (as you should) then it's not necessary at all. I used to keep my /home on a separate partition but I never bothered to preserve it, so now I just make one huge partition for / so as not to worry about their respective sizes.

Is there an app for IR blasters on android that isn't complete fucking garbage?

Steam keeps trying to download fully installed games for no discernable reason. So far it's happened twice (Dark Souls and Dark Souls 3), each time roughly a day after the last time I played them. When I go to play them again, it acts like I'm downloading them for the first time, despite every single necessary file still being in /steamapps/common/. I tried verifying file integrity in Steam, and every fix I could find for anything vaguely related to the issue, but nothing works. Short of redownloading the entire games, how do I fix this?

My headset on my PC is too quiet, how do I increase the volume?

I have an all in one pc with a screen that has gone dark. It has a HDMI port is it just a matter of connecting a HDMI cable between the pc and the TV I have. It will display my desktop straight awy when I turn them on?

I want to drink Anna's love water.

There may be a normalization setting you can enable if your audio has its own software. I always have that on with headphones to avoid hearing damage. Otherwise you can get an amplifier for them.

It wont display BIOS or login screen but it should work as a secondary screen.

Is there an open source or at least de-bloated soundcloud app from android?

>Torrentfreak's VPN guide
I'm looking to just use it to shitpost on Sup Forums, also with Sup Forums Premium (tm) you can just use a vpn.

So I'm not too worried about anonymity desu

u sure theyre not just updating?

What does asynchronously mean in a programming context? I always though synchronously meant at the same time, so asynchronously should mean not at the same time? Most of the sites I read though say it's the opposite; I guess I'm really not getting the concept.

Here is one relevant passage I'm trying to understand:
"As described in the Communication chapter, the X protocol tries to avoid latency by doing as much (((asynchronously))) as possible. This is especially noticed by new programmers who call rendering functions and then wonder why they got no errors but did not see the expected output appear."

So Once I Log in to my account on the all in one and my desktop is up it will display the desktop on the TV?

What happened to your AIO PC in first place?

But pretty much.

you mean her pussy juice?

The screen isnt bright enough like it turns on and works normally but you have to shine a bright torch to see the desktop.

Your backlight died.
The screen is alright.

Probably a LED backlight that can be replaced easy.

I just clicked one of those hack spam links that get sent out on skype cause im a fucking retard

ive already changed my skype password to a 25 character one but im scared ive fucked myself, what should i do ? simply delete my skype account? i dont use it anyway

I don't use the skype password i originally had for any other accounts im still worried tho, can someone assist me on waht to do?

it's worth noting that i clicked on the link on my android tablet.

Run Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner.

Are there any computers that cannot be rendered obsolete because of a specific function they do?

I'd like to know which ones they are and what the function is, if so.

Pretty much intel CPUs are a big legacy support device for example.

Yeah figured that was probably the case just wanted something to use in the interim Thanks for the help

What was the name of the recent arch derivative themed around material design? A few threads were started on it a few days ago, and I can't seem to remember the name.

I don't think it was papyros. It started with an "l" or something I think.

liri.io/

Thanks, that it.

I broke my power supply for my netbook by being a domeass.

The laptop is rated for 12v, 3A. I have a gamecube power supply that says it outputs 12v, 3.25A.

Will my laptop burst into flame/explode/leak battery acid if I use my gamecube power supply for it? I'm not afraid of splicing some cables.

Alternatively, should I refrain from touching my GC power supply because there's some market of nerds who buy them for thousands of dollars?

>Alternatively, should I refrain from touching my GC power supply because there's some market of nerds who buy them for thousands of dollars?
There are only 2 things worth about a gamecube.

Smash($70-100) and Original Component cables($300+).

Everything is worthless.

Just buy an adapter or the original charger for $20.

r8 my build? noone is giving me a honest rating on my poor fag build i only get wait for ryzeon
pcpartpicker.com/list/

Microcontrollers can be like that, but now fridges have twitter and are engineered to fail because no wants to pay what a lasting fridge costs.

10/10 build user.

There is nothing it could run.

you pulling my hook or is it actually ok

Look at your link user.

>Just buy an adapter or the original charger for $20.
I have 0$ in my bank account and am a cheap motherfuck in general. I'd try to repair the power supply I broke if I weren't afraid of literally dying trying.

Though that's shocking that the GC itself isn't worth anything. I guess it was just overproduced? But then how are the component cables so pricey but the unit itself isn't?

im fucking stupid for some odd reason i keep forgetting to go to the top of the page and copy my link. Kinda bugging me a little, but here here is the build
pcpartpicker.com/list/Zbt9yf

>I guess it was just overproduced? But then how are the component cables so pricey but the unit itself isn't?
Only a limited amount of the good quality ones was made because gamecube mostly used composite cables.

Also Autism.

Collectors use it for the best possible quality.

Is there a good Android app for observing whether a light source is pulse width modulated?

>the X protocol tries to avoid latency by doing as much (((asynchronously))) as possible
Two protocols that need to run, just not at the same time

Shouldn't every GC have come with a set, though? How do you break a composite cable in a way that renders it inoperable? Even if you do fuck one up, you can splice it by hand.

The voltage needs to be the same. Current can be equal or greater. That's how electricity is. It should work if it fits.

Dont buy AMD, its a bad option.
Dont even think of buying anything that uses DDR3.
For that price might aswell buy the 1TB version for $46.

Either get a Skylake or low end Kabylake build.

Or simply just save more money.
With $100 or $200 more you could build a really good PC.
And since one usually builds one every 6 years is a good idea invest on them.

Component(RGB) != Composite(Y).

Could you clarify what that means? As far as I know there is only one protocol, the X protocol.

jobless highschooler/10

That hard drive will be way slow. If you really are that young, there's less regrettable ways to spend your time instead of squandering it on video game.

I've been staring at this line for the past 30 mins
> ',' or ')' expected (on the arrayString[0])
webview.loadUrl("javascript:jscriptFile("arrayString[0] + "," + latitude + "," + longitude + ")");

it works when I write the array as a string like this
webview.loadUrl("javascript:jscriptFile('String'," + latitude + "," + longitude + ")");

halp

What is HTTP injection and what does it do in simple terms?
There had been talk about free internet on a carrier here that uses http injection and I want to know how it works.

>Shouldn't every GC have come with a set, though?
This was a time when most people, at least in the US, had composite inputs on their televisions, not component inputs. It came with a composite cable.
>Even if you do fuck one up, you can splice it by hand.
No, that's the thing. The gamecube uses the YCbCr color space (digital version of analog component video) internally, and output this through the digital port on the back. The official component cable actually contained all the circuitry needed to convert that from digital into YPbPr. It's not just a cable. It was expensive to begin with ($100), and was only available from nintendo's website.

none of this matters much for europeans though unless they want progressive scan.
>Collectors use it for the best possible quality.
Collectorfag here. There's something to be argued about authenticity if you want to go that route, but since lossless HDMI mods exist, component isn't the best possible quality.

>Component(RGB) != Composite(Y).
ah ok i see
ive never even seen RGB cables for a gamecube

though 2bh i still dont understand the autism; I don't see the difference between component and composite on my xbox 360. I only use the RGB ones because I don't connect the audio cables to my tv anyway and don't wanna fuck around with extra cables and splitters to go to my amp/headphones

i failed electrical engineering ok

Is there any way to adjust color balance on only a portion of the screen of an android device? I have a tablet with a fingertip-sized area that'd too purple and I'd like to fix it through software.

If I root my Android phone will I be able to move apps to my SD card AND have media on it as well, like I could before Marshmallow? If not is there any way to do this?

>I don't see the difference between component and composite on my xbox 360

how long's it been user? why aren't you using HDMI on a 360?

why does a 32-bit program mark the entire virtual address space from 0 to 16-bits as no access? i was thinking it could be slightly more efficient to use 16-bit pointers when possible.

Friend of mine asked me to create a midi to keyboard translator from scratch. He has a novation Launchpad he wants to use as a media controller. He wants to be able to configure any midiCC#
Example:

If midiCC(X) = true:
#execute [play,stop,skip,blah blah]

Can anyone point me to some documentation that would help me out? Danke

why does android run ok on intel atom, but does no better on i7 even with 16 gb RAM (sometimes worse)?

I unironically own a CRT because it's pretty big and I've never felt it necessary to upgrade

it's not like I have a newest gen console anyway

Interesting. I'm surprised the digital output wasn't in the console rather than in the cable. The GC is pretty light as it is and it's not like it should need a switch on it or anything like the 360 cable has.

This is the computer of a client.
To be exact the IGPU.

Is it kill?

>I'm surprised the digital output wasn't in the console rather than in the cable.
2 reasons- cutting costs on each unit, and little consumer demand for higher quality video. late model gamecubes had the port removed completely.
>I unironically own a CRT
hold on to that as long as you can my dude.

how does it feel to love yourself

can you do a part picker for me thats better then my poor fag build, also the person that im getting the money from owes me it.

ok, clean that shit up!
and wtf were they doing to make it seem kill? playing minecraft on full res?
maybe kill, maybe not. figure it out.

HP laptop, that is all you need to know.

pretty bad, people around you always bring you down

>hold on to that as long as you can my dude.
im too cheap not too desu

Bump.

>that is all you need to know.
oh... big secret i gotcha
cuz like, if i had any relevant info to go on to help you out, i'd use it to hack you and steal your mom's dragon dildo. we anonymous are legion and we can extort you for money. but judging by your weirdness, we will just assume you blew it out by running pedo-Sims.

I hadn't really thought of that before but it does "feel" kind of backwards when described that way.

In the context of programming, synchronous means that something executes immediately from the thread in which it was called. That is to say, synchronous execution blocks the thread from doing anything else.

If something is executed asynchronously it is executed at a later time (not necessarily immediately) and you have to check for the result later (or be notified that the result is ready).

In other words, if something is executed async. then it is pushed off to a task scheduler which will execute that task at a later time, usually from a different thread. Sometimes the async. task begins immediately (and runs at the same time as the main thread) and sometimes it gets delayed, depending on how many threads are available, etc.

So I'm having an issue using TorGuard to torrent. Speeds without it are generally 1 - 2 Mb/s which is fine for me. But with it I'm getting less than 100 Kb/s. Any ideas?

Is there such a thing like a dynamic animation script for websites?

For example: an user chooses some coordinates via php and posts them. The server returns an animation like this gift, where the squares he chose are black.

It doesn't have to be in realtime, I just need a way to return an animation based on the users input.

Thanks in advance!

>"javascript:jscriptFile("arrayString[0]
this makes no sense, what exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

HPs are known for overheating and most DV and G series laptops die from overheating.

It was used for intensive gaming, which wasn't designed for.

Also another problem in the motherboard.
Leaking resistor(?).

I guess this was the main cause.

Is there anything like screenfetch for windows?

javascript and drawing can do this.

look up basic screen drawing/animation for JS in canvas

What should I put in Search, in the Catalog, to show only threads with 0 replies? It'll be utile in /wsr/.

you can just sort by reply count and scroll to the bottom. If you're looking for some kind of 1-click solution you'll have to write a script.

>it'll be utile in /wsr/
are you some kind of sauce user who loves helping? nice.

i'm pretty sure this is objectively the best build you can put together (minus case and fans) without going into titan/sli/x99 territory

at least i hope so, i worked long enough on it.

pcpartpicker.com/list/ZmBhGf

I didn't notice the sort by before. Thanks my good man. I'm feeling the need to help my bros. I'm feeling in debt.

Can someone explain ports to me? If I open up a port to the internet for a service, say a video game, doesn't that open up a vector of attack? How do you stay protected?

I see, makes a lot more sense now. Thanks!

It doesn't open up a vector of attack unless the application that's listening on that port is insecure. There's nothing inherently insecure about "opening" a port -- it just means that the application allows people from other computers to connect to it, and uses a specific number -- a port number -- to identify itself so that others know what to connect to.

I got 7zip and a .jar file
I need to replace a file in the .jar but 7zip crashes during the procedure, drag and drop