/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Continuing Kaby Lake Awareness Edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a Kaby Lake system

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/
>OUTDATED CPU RECOMMENDATIONS (no mention of Kaby Lake)
>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for the i3-6100 in any build; same performance, half the price.
>Consider substituting an i5 7500 for the i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B150/B250 or H110/H210 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Great" tier build

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-intel-core-i5-7600k-review
pcpartpicker.com/list/Ky4CgL
pcpartpicker.com/list/tZzpFd
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/dtdGVY
pcpartpicker.com/list/94LpFd
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/Jhyf7P
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/rbJBxY
pcpartpicker.com/list/NdkqWX
pcpartpicker.com/list/shPvNN
pcpartpicker.com/list/djgCgL
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
youtube.com/watch?v=yXTqz3Fd28M&
pcpartpicker.com/list/QHtN2R
pcpartpicker.com/list/wPByQV
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>one-click 5GHz on air button
Are you actually retarded or autistic or what

Kaby Lake has been released! Skylake is depreciated if corresponding chips are similarly priced (e.g., i5 7600K vs i5 6600K)!
>Some motherboards will have a one-click, 5GHz on air OC button that works for 80% of i5 7600Ks
>100 series chipsets (Z170, B150, ect) don't work out of the box with Kaby Lake
>Z series chipsets have an "Enhanced Turbo", which allows all cores to run at the highest single core boost clockspeed (works for Skylake CPUs as well)
>Pentiums now have hyperthreading, and are thus the new default budget / entry level gaming CPUs
>Pentium G4560 is the best price / perf four thread CPU on a modern platform
>All Kaby Lake CPUs work natively with 2400MHz DDR4 memory
>Do not underestimate the impact of fast (>2400, e.g, 3000MHz) RAM in conjunction with a Z series chipset, which often provides as much of a performance boost as a CPU overclock

Are you actually stupid?

>Asus released a new BIOS said to hit offer a one-button 5.0GHz solution that works with 80 per cent of Kaby Lake processors.
eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-intel-core-i5-7600k-review

I just build my pc before kaby lake was released with what I thought was a nice shiny sky lake i7 6700k and I now feel cheated and annoyed.

>asus makes a 5GHz auto overclock feature (I'm assuming it clocks any 1151 CPU on the planet to 5GHz?)
>must mean "5GHz on air button"

The chips are basically the same. Just flash your BIOS with the Kaby Lake update for better turbo

That reviewer can't even get it 5GHz

>Our Skylake-based Core i5 6600K overclocks nicely enough to 4.5GHz, but the new Kaby Lake chip offers rock-solid stability at 4.8GHz with the possibility of hitting over 5.0GHz with air-cooling.
Can you not read? Literally one sentence above the one I previously quoted.

Would flashing bios on a H170 board with a skylake CPU improve anything at all ? Is it worth doing ? Never done it b4 so not sure about the whole thing alltogether

Silicon lottery

>possibility
>can't even do it
>asus claims to do it with 80% of LGA1151 CPUs
Like what asus claimed is already confirmed as a lie, just wait until they explain the specific of the "5GHz button"
Because taking that as it is, assuming it works on "80%" of CPUs while real overclockers can't barely reach that with a few specific chips and a few specific coolers
But I mean 80% of LGA1151 CPUs now do 5GHz on "air" so it's gotte be true, can't argue with asus

>80% is 100%

80% of Kaby lake CPUs cannot do 5GHz on air
Why does asus think the opposite?

>80% of LGA1151 CPUs
Doesn't say that, moron. The quotes says "Kaby Lake processors" of which only two can be officially OC'd, the i5 7600K and the i7 7700K

Clearly they're not talking about locked CPUs, autismo boy

Probably not, maybe. Most the improvement is related to overclocking, which H170 cannot do. Check to see whether the H270s have the new Enhanced Turbo, about which there is very little info.

need a PSU that will power 2 770's.

What do I buy.

Any bronze PSU with four 6+2 pin power connectors. I don't know why you'd want to SLI 770s. You can sell them for 125 a piece and get a more power single card that doesn't need so much power

rape, comment, subscribe
pcpartpicker.com/list/Ky4CgL

I already have 1 770. Is it worth selling it and forking out the difference for a better card.

I can get a used 770 for £100.

Yeah SLI is a meme

Cheers senpai.

If I sell my 770 and buy a new card what would be them minimum to play at 1440p comfortably.

im not willing to spend more than £200 + whatever I get for the card.

Looks good

Yes, especially because you don't have to buy an new PSU. You should be looking at the RX480 or 6GB 1060 if you want SLI 770 performance. Personally I wouldn't upgrade yet

Well if you can get 770 for 100, I guess you can sell one for that too, so basically 1060 6gb or 480 8gb

My current PSU is pretty shit and I dont trust it frankly. I'll go with a 1060. I don't give a shit about future proofing all I play is TF2 and I just want that sick 144fps

pcpartpicker.com/list/tZzpFd

Tear my ass apart and make it yours, senpai!

For what fucking purpose do you need 2x1080 SLI?

If you were going to go that far, why skimp out on the ram speed?

>still no 3000MHz RAM
Why tho

480/1060 would be comfortable, 1070 if you wanna max out the settings and still get 60+ fps

Anymore criticism? I said to blow my anus out, senpai. Not just poke it.

>no X99
>no 6800K or 6900K when going (((all out)))
>retarded trash mobo
>slow ass 2400RAM
>only 32GB
>only 512GB SDD
>shit old HGST drive
>not 7K6000 or He8
>not quad SLI Titan X
>no custom made, sound dampened tempered glass/alu case
>only 1kW PSU
>trash Corsair PSU
>not a titanium PSU
>Blu-Gay
>wasting $3000 like this
Better fuck off to with that shit stack off a build.
>I said to blow my anus out, senpai. Not just poke it.
Get out you gay faggot nigger kike.

>Build gaming PC
>One and a half years later lose virginity
COINCIDENCE?

What's the best build I can make with $500? I heard that logicalincrements is a shit tier source.

Depends on what you'd use it for. Shitposting? Games only? Intensive computing software?
You can do it with $500, but you can't have all the capability, like if you want games you'll probably need to settle for a weak CPU, if you process and render you might want to leave out a GPU
Logical increments was pretty much spot-fucking-on with my build, but I have a $1200 PC, not sure how good the cheaper tiers are

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/dtdGVY

Let's see how this Windows 10 thing goes..

Is that the cheapest psu you can find? Is that monitor freesync? You'll probably benefit nicely from freesync considering you're gonna probably be varying from 60-144fps a lot
Looks good, I just feel bad for you and your digeridollars

yeah that monitor is freesync

as for PSU I didn't want to be cheap as I leave my PC for long periods of time

not only the high cost but the fact shit is so hard to find in aus - gsync monitors are just too expensive, and all the decently priced ones have disappeared

pcpartpicker.com/list/94LpFd

That M2 is nearly SATA speed, it's not a better choice than a 960 pro if they're actually concerned about speeds. Plus a 1TB SATA SSD can be found for cheaper

For a $500 build LI is really outdated. If you want to buy a used gfx card you can get a significantly better one and stay at 500
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/Jhyf7P
The best upgrades would be a used GTX970 or a used RX380x and a $60 240GB SSD

>Western trash
>Phantom PC GAYMIN Case
>Ungodly slow intel m.2 drive

Cops are trash

>t. antifa
Enjoy your stay.

Is this a good mobo? I'm panning to buy this plus a 8gb 3000mhz ram for my i5 7500. I'm a poorfag, so I'm trying to buy things with future proofing in mind.

Thanks

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/rbJBxY

r8

>Thinking DailyMail, a known tabloid, is a reputable source of information.
KEK
E
K

>memory THAT slow

>i don't like your source because
Cry me more. Police are the good guys and punks like you will be locked up.

Ok Sup Forums

depending on how much money I get between now and march I'm either going with this for 1080: pcpartpicker.com/list/NdkqWX

or this for 1440: pcpartpicker.com/list/shPvNN

anything you think I should change? get a kaby lake instead of skylake?

She deserved all that ground she ate.

nice video game consoles itt

Should I expect a 7700T competitor from AMD this year or do I have to wait another year to build my PC?

If memory frequency makes a difference, why don't the benchmarks support it?

62.9 > 61.4

I built a complete

ivy i5 / 390x / 16gb ddr3 / 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd / 30"1440p / interface / audio

for a tick under $600

Crysis isn't a swap intensive game, try that with fallout or forza

Are mini atx builds a meme? For gaming in particular. going to moving into a dorm soon with not much space and will be carting my computer around a bit. Is air flow a problem if I had something like an 1070?

There's no such thing as mini ATX
And whether or not you have enough airflow is dependent on your case design and venting, it's normally only a problem on the smallest of builds thoigh

Do you mean ITX or MATX? Both are pretty dank and more practical than full ATX in my opinion. I have a build in the Node 304 and I'm actually getting better temps in it in the Define R5. If I were to add a GPU, it would have direct filtered access to cool air.

The hell is that cooler? Of course you're getting better temps

ITX or whatever fits into something like a Fractal Design Nano.

What are you temps like?

Anyone?

First build is better.

1080p144hz > 1440p60hz.

Also get a monitor with freesync. The next step is 4k. Don't fall for the 1440p meme.

Noctua NH-U14S. I used in in the R5 too.
2-3 degrees over ambient idle (24-25 degrees), 50-60 degrees on load, never exceeding 65 degrees.

I mean, is 1440p at the moment an intermediate step to 4k?

like, a friend told me 4k might not be worth it for another 4 years, is this true?

also, are TN monitors fine?

1440p is just an overpriced meme for richfags to spend money on. Sure it looks better than 1080p but 4k is an even better jump. 4k will eventually become the new standard for all content, Netflix is already supporting some 4k streaming, so is YouTube. Its only a matter of time.

Just if you want to game I would suggest going for a higher refresh rate before a higher resolution.

Yeah TN is fine. Viewing angles is a meme, not like you won't be sitting in front of it 99.99% of the time. Also TN has lower response time.

The only thing IPS has going for it is color correctness. That only matters if you are a 'professional' who needs that for work. Its just another marketing buzzword.

>What is consuming media other than vidya
Never getting a TN panel again. Shit looks like ass.

Buy a television for other media consumption... Way more comfy than some small monitor.

Oh wait I forgot you're too scared to leave Mommy's basement and enjoy the comforts of a living room.

>replace stock acer shit cooler with coolermaster T4
>temp at idle goes from 35 to 47
>full load temps go from 55 to 60+
what the fuck?

It all depends on your screen size and view distance. At normal monitor sizes, 1440p is all you need. Way easier to run than 4K and more mature tech. Personally I'd wait for HDR

Not that great unless you already had the DDR3

>why don't the benchmarks support it
Did you not fucking read the benchmarks in the third post of this thread? Benchmarks do support the claim, retard.

microATX is all you need

Get 3000MHz RAM, retard. That advice is all over the thread.

Incorrect installation?

installation error

my arctic 11 plus runs cooler than that

i reckoned so much, i was fiddling around with positioning the damn thing while it was in contact with the cpu paste

Why is nobody online talking about the Kaby Lake thermal issues? Delidding them has brought the temps down by ridiculous amounts, because intel cheaped out (or fucked up) the TIM and heat management on the chips.
I watched countless kaby lake reviews on youtube, and almost none of them even mentioned temperatures.

>why
Here's a thought, you've fallen for a meme?

Could be a fan issue

This the viewing angle issue is drastically exaggerated and newer panels have color that completely matches IPS display. Plus it's much cheaper, but this still all applies to the high-end TNs

I had to do mine 3 times on my first buid. get some mx4

h-h-hello builders what do you think of what im going to be paying for when i get money.
pcpartpicker.com/list/djgCgL

That doesn't matter, is it tight? Maybe you missed a tension screw or didn't position something right

There's a lot better and more modern parts for cheaper or the same price. What purpose is this machine for? Gaming? What games/ resolutions?

Fuck. no.
Try again, check the pcbg pcpartpicker

gaming modern day things like gtav stuff like that maybe over watch, im trying to stay in the 400 dollar zone cause im poor. If you can help me if you dont like it please do

>pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

ill check that out

>pcpartpicker.com/list/djgCgL
I improved on that list, in my opinion.
Keep in mind, you will probably have to buy a monitor, and a Windows liscence (unless you use a free OS like ubuntu or whatver). You can cheap out on the Windows by buying it from a gray market vendor, like Kinguin. Here's a guide:
youtube.com/watch?v=yXTqz3Fd28M&

If visual quality isn't the most important thing to you, I recommend going to a local pc repair shop. They usually have shitloads of half decent 720p or 1600x900 resolution monitors for really cheap. Also goodwill/ savers ect.

is it finally time to upgrade my 2500k or should i wait for the 8 series

pcpartpicker.com/list/QHtN2R
get the cheapest low end card, replace with used rx-480 once 490 drops and people are upgrading

Graduate to locked i5 (maybe used skylake?) once ryzen drops and shakes up the market. Get a 2nd 8gb stick of ram and a ssd for c:

sell cpu + gpu on ebay once you have new build.

or just save longer.

Assuming you are going from old i5 -> new i5, proooobably not, unless you really want to overclock heavily. The 7600k can hit 5ghz a lot of the time without too much of a fuss. Performance will improve but not by a whole ton. You certainly won't be blown away.
AMD Ryzen comes out somewhere in February, will probably be easily purchasable in mid-late March. It could be a massive upgrade, but we don't know what they plan on doing with pricing. Wait at least until the Ryzen reviews are out.

i'm considering stepping up to an i7, but considering that i got an old dual xeon server for my encoding, the added cores arent a requirement.

ryzen or coffee lake, you are still comparable to a locked kaby i5 if you have it juiced.

Possibly a new i7 if you need more multi thread but otherwise keep trucking. My locked ivy with enhanced turbo is still hanging in there too.

what is it about the architecture that makes sandy bridge so fucking op?

The real question is what makes haswell, vishera, skylake and kaby so shit that a 6 year old cpu isn't even considered outdated?

I can't believe how lucky i was to buy at the right time.

fuck, that's a good point. i'd always assumed it was moore's law and some quantum tunneling shit, but idk. amd kinda went to shit after the athlon 64s anyway.

i found another 2500k and a 2600 in a drawer at work and they both still post. all i need now is a few backup mobos and i'm set for life unless amd or intel finally gets their shit in order

it's not that the older chips were better it's just that gains are getting smaller. there has been a lot of focus on lowering power consumption in the last few years.

yeah and in that respect they've made some impressive gains.

pcpartpicker.com/list/wPByQV
What do you guys think?
Going for a build themed around the Zotac Amp! gtx 1070 in aesthetics. I plan on peeling off the SSD sticker and either leaving it blank or maybe getting a sticker made for it at my local print shop. I'm not really sure what case to use. The s340 is my go-to, but it looks too subdued for this theme.

na mate t4 has some backward ass 20 piece clip system, would've been a zillion times easier if i had positioned it with the MB off the case