ITT: Post your most satisfying tech upgrades

ITT: Post your most satisfying tech upgrades.

Normal Mouse to Silent Mouse

Firefox to Chrome

2010 HP pavillion i7 2.0ghz 4gb RAM no SSD to MBP i5 2.7ghz 8gb RAM w/SSD

A loud and heavy Ultimate Ears Megaboom speaker with a day-long battery life for 200€.

Switching from Hotmail to ProtonMail for 75€.

XP to Server 2003

A Core 2 Duo 4GB DDR2 RAM toaster I had been using for 10+ years to an i5 6500, 16GB DDR4 RAM, GTX 1060 6GB PC I built a few weeks ago. The difference was so staggering it was sort of felt like a dream.

Upgrading from 1080p monitor to 4K.
Best upgrade I've done in the past 10 years no doubt.

What refresh rate is the monitor?

pentium 4 to phenomII x6

Android to iphone

60Hz, never had any monitor that did more than that.

Windows Vista to arch. I'm still on the same install, rolling release is great.

solid state on an old Vista laptop and I installed ubuntu a couple years back. It was nearly a decade and felt just as fast and modern as a sub 1k laptop. My wife actually bought me a think-pad that retailed for $1k last year for Christmas and the performance was atrocious compared to my old shitty Toshiba laptop. The bloated win 10 install and the mechanical drive made it unbearable to use. My wife was offended I wanted to make hardware changes to it but I stopped using it because it was so bad. This black friday I said fuck it and bought a 500 gig solid state from Samsung and installed Ubuntu Mate and a fresh install of win10 with up to date drivers and no bloat from Lenovo. Now it's an amazing laptop to have and that goofy little red clit mouse is great!! I can disable the trackpad and use the keyboard with no fear of accidentally touching the touch pad

woops, meant to say the vista laptop was an old Toshiba that was nearly a decade old when I upgraded it

going from some creative t10 speakers to a marantz pm151 + a pair of 2010i speakers

I don't think they sell 4k monitors above 60hz
Will buy one once they do
Do you experience any eye strain upgrading to a higher resolution?

Chrome to Opera.

Firefox to Vivaldi

Getting a workstation Xeon instead of the equivalent i5

Upgrading from DT shifters to Campy Ergos

>I don't think they sell 4k monitors above 60hz
There's the Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ, and I believe Dell made a 120Hz one, but I don't even want to imagine how much they cost currently.

>Do you experience any eye strain upgrading to a higher resolution?
Initially, yes. For the first 2 or 3 days it just took getting used to, as I got a 28" 4K monitor, coming from a 27" 1080p one. Pixels were a lot smaller. Not unusably so, but you better have good eyesight. After that I never looked back and older monitors felt weird.

Shitty samsung brand PC to decently builded PC with 970
2 years ago 2015 jan

WD Blue -> SSD

I never understood using monitors that size
How far away are you from the screen?

nvidia geforce 6150se nforce 430 --> 1050ti

Heh, after 3 years I upgraded again to a 43" 4K TV (last month). My face is about a meter away from my screen, maybe less. Trust me when I say you won't be sitting much further than this if you have a 4K monitor either.

Aneros to Bad Dragon.

DOS -> Mac

R9 270X to 8GB RX480

24" 2ms 1080P 60hz to 27" 1ms 1440p 144hz Freesync

Gorgeous.

I used a cheap laptop from 2009 for 7 years before I finally bought a fancy new one.
>came with Windows Vista installed

Google drive -> Nextcloud

Pentium Pro 200mhz to Pentium 3 1400mhz

Either 3x 1TB HDD to 3x 1TB SSD

Or 750ti to 980ti

Windows 7 -> Windows 10.

This tbqh fām

I bought a nice unlocked smartphone for$150 instead of a flagship that cost $700 that has features I didn't need.

Don't see why people spend so much on phones

Whats the 980 ti feel like in comparison?

You went from a Maxwell to a Maxwell

The big difference for me was it allowed me to actually utilize my 4k monitor for gaymen, my 750ti just couldn't do it on 2GB VRAM.

So, really, it let me move from 1080p 60fps to 4k 60fps, so I'm pretty happy.

This was before Pascal came out, I got 980ti a week after launch.

780 to 1080
1080p to 1440p@144hz
Best one by far is small mousepad to big one

I'm selling my old, unlocked phone for 150€ on ebay right now, I hope I get a customer like you kek

I bought a new Moto g4 play actually, but good lucky selling your phone amigo. I think gazelle will buy it if eBay doesn't work out.

Solid State Drive without a doubt, shit's fast after using computers since the Atari / 486 days.

Next up is probably a new graphics card, but these days it's a whole lot less exciting as it's more of a "Oh hey this game now runs at 60fps instead of 30fps, with a graphics engine that doesn't appear any better than something from 5 years ago... woo"

AMD FX 4100
4GB
AMD Readon 3850
HDD with 16mb cache

to

i7 6700k
16GB
AMD R9 380x
Samsung SSD with 250 and 500GB

GTX 645 to 1070

Switching from Windows a the not so different Ubuntu.

Upgraded from w10 to w7

Android phone to a BlackBerry Q10

Model M
SSD
Bias lighting.

IBM XT to Amiga 500

From Macbook Air to rMB. Also from Z3C to iPhone SE.

Surprisingly SSD on deskop didn't even make that big of a difference, it's clearly noticeable but it seems that Windows is just shit by design.

how's the 1050ti? How long are you using it?

>Getting an I3,5,7
>Which has under 3.0 Ghz
What's the purpose?

How much did the new PC cost you in total?

Sennheiser to Beats

geforce 750ti - radeon rx 480

>a 1080
>for 1440p gaming

talk about wasting money

atx tower to intel NUC

Linux to Windows 10 + Xbox

used dell ultrasharp 4k ips
$200

WWAN card
> go innawoods
> [shitposting loudly]

I love going somewhere outdoors for shitposting

idk but so far im loving it, its perfect upgrade without falling for the 16gb RAM meme

do u pay for service?

3$ for 5gb/month
> tfw slavlands

>buying a chinkshit mono battery speaker for 200€
congratulations, it doesn't get any more retarded than this

broken seagate hdd with 15MB/s read speeds to >550MB/s SSD

stock intel cooler to passive cooler

I went from an EVGA GTX 680 to an Asus Strox 980ti. It was the best choice I've ever made.

brand/name of the cooler?

pentium 2 to prescott p4 holy shit was that good, sure it was shit looking back but literally anything was better than the p2

then that p4 to phenom II 955

hdd boot to ssd boot

3gb ddr2 of ram to 8gb ddr2
then 8gb ddr2 to 16gb ddr2

dialup to cable.

ball to optical

rubber dome to mechanical

shit headphones to real headphone company

20$ 2.1 to 5.1 z5500, not great but good enough be changing.

win 98 to winxp sp2
xpsp2 to win 7 when ssd and never hard crashing.

canned duster to datavac

and mouse to tablet for photoshop

most people on this board have their face less then a foot away from the screens, we are outliers.

really want a 40 inch + 4k but scared as hell ill get something that cant be used as a monitor and if I want a refund will cost more to ship back then I bought it for, 300+ is to much to throw away on a gamble for me.

2500K/8GB/590 to 6700K/16GB/Titan X.

320 GB HDD that worked over 35 000 hours to 100 GB SSD.

sudo dnf upgrade

Upgrading from an Intel Atom N2600 to an Intel i3-2350M after five years. It's the first computer I've ever owned that doesn't struggle to play HD videos and browser games.

Also upgrading from a Logitech M317 to a Logitech M510.

No laptop to a free one