He thinks Linux doesn't have telemetry

>He thinks Linux doesn't have telemetry.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telemetry
privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement
forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/#59801ae12f4a
archive.is/QFL8e
theverge.com/2013/7/17/4517480/nsa-spying-prism-surveillance-cheat-sheet
theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data
howtoubuntu.org/how-to-disable-stop-uninstall-apport-error-reporting-in-ubuntu
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)
archive.is/OBGB1
archive.is/tW6fu
archive.is/2XIvX
archive.is/qLRZx
archive.is/thsGd
archive.is/sz1nt
archive.is/g3QdQ
archive.is/ko469
archive.is/l6pmO
archive.is/zK93U
archive.is/CEvKh
archive.is/vhjwm
archive.is/2jehd
archive.is/KQsBh
archive.is/MB0Yy
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The difference is that on Windows it's opt-out while on Loonix it's either non-existent or opt-in.

>ubuntu is linux

But it has, that's the point.

If Windows was open-source so we could see what's being sent and if you could easily disable all telemetry, no one would complaint either. The problem isn't just telemetry, it's closed-source forced telemetry.

>He doesn't know how to block network packages.

>Ubuntu is Linux

Also, I use Ubuntu for about 5 years and I've never experienced this before.

>Telemetry is an automated communications process by which measurements and other data are collected at remote or inaccessible points and transmitted to receiving equipment for monitoring.
does it still count as telemetry?

So, Ubuntu has been using telemetry for 5 years and you have been clueless about it?

And I though Windows users were the normies.

>Source, my ass.

sorry here you go
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telemetry

Would you rather people didn't report errors, crashes or bugs and live with broken software?

it doesn't. ubuntu has no telemetry.

>He quoted Wikipedia

OP, just accept that ubuntu does not have telemetry and your thread is shit

I'm pro telemetry, dude.

sudo apt remove whoopsie
wow that was hard.

>That denial

unless you are mentally challenged, and purposely install shit, GNU plus Linux does not have this problem

But it has, I cannot deny it.

That's a crash report, not telemetry. There's a big difference.

A crash report sends data relevant only to the program that crashed, and it's usually just the error message in the program's logs, any relevant dmesg data, and sometimes debugging data. You have the option not to send it, and often when you do send it you're able to attach a note explaining what you were doing at the time so the developer can attempt to duplicate the crash and triage the bug.

Telemetry is automatically collected data about the OS and kernel and is silently fed to the developers whether there's a crash or not. It's exactly like flight telemetry where it's a bunch of data about how the whole system is functioning so that the developer can determine if certain processes slow the whole system down unnecessarily that way they can better optimize those processes and roll out the optimizations in future updates, or locate things that MAY cause a crash in the future and fix it before it ever happens so the user never experiences the crashes in the first place.

The former is reactive while the latter is proactive. Both have their benefits and drawbacks (like not knowing if private data is being sent with the telemetry) but the former lets you review all of the data being sent and choose whether or not you want to send it.

That doesn't mean Ubuntu doesn't come with telemetry, it means you can remove it-

Posters like this should be permabanned on sight 2bh

You don't even know what that word means buddy.
Blowing out buzzwords like the incompetent tech-illiterate retard you are.

Sure user, is not telemetry, "its crash report".

>Not automatic
>Not on most distros
>Can be actually disabled completely with one command

Weak bait, fuck off.

>idiots falling for an obvious b8

I know, the difference is that I'm not in denial like you are, I just accept it.

Also, you can see the exact message that will be sent in the Ubuntu crash reporter.

Unrelated: Remember to sage lads

You don't comprehend English very well, do you? I just explained the difference between the two. Unless you can show how it IS telemetry (it isn't) then your reply just shows how butthurt you are over being incorrect.

It will use the info taked from your computer to improve the product, just like telemetry.

So? still is sending the info.

thank you for your effort to explain this retard what "telemetry" is, but that shit won't even read it.

sage pls, 18 years old rule

>So butthurt that is has to sage.

Good luck blocking encrypted tcp packets sent over port 443 to unofficial MS/NSA servers.

>implying I use that crapware
>implying I don't use TrueOS

Yeah, I'm starting to see that.

>He can''t block domains.

Are yo sure your skills goes beyond changing the wallpaper, user?

>block all domains
>next update introduces 1000 new ones

>He is to lazy
>He can't use wildcards

pfff

you're right OP!
And browsing the internet sends packets just like telemetry so it's the same thing too!
You're best to plug the cable and stay permanently offline.

I'm not anti-telemetry, user.

Gentoo doesn't have this problem

>implying optional uploading of crash dumps is the same thing as closed source mandatory information collection
Nice bait, retard. Also,
>obama
Pretty fitting for a dumbshit such as yourself.

>Implying that telemetry has to be close source.

>Here's Microsoft's privacy policy:
privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement
>Here's Microsoft's admission in regards to Windows 10 and telemetry:
forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/#59801ae12f4a
>And here's an independent traffic analysis of the supposedly secure version of Windows 10, Windows 10 Enterprise:
archive.is/QFL8e
>Here is the roughly 8-hour network traffic analysis of 5508 connection attempts of an unused, base install of Windows 10 Enterprise
And if you still think you can do anything to disable telemetry, here's proof of Microsoft's involvement in the NSA's PRISM data collection program:
theverge.com/2013/7/17/4517480/nsa-spying-prism-surveillance-cheat-sheet
theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data

>He thinks telemetry has to do with MS.

Your obsession with MS is admirable user, but I don't know what's the point in this discussion since we are talking about Linux.

And do you realize that Linux is open source and that you can easily use another distro? And guess what, you can do a network traffic analysis and find out where your data is being sent after submitting a crash report, which is optional by the way.
howtoubuntu.org/how-to-disable-stop-uninstall-apport-error-reporting-in-ubuntu

>And do you realize that Linux is open source and that you can easily use another distro?

Yes, so?

>And guess what, you can do a network traffic analysis and find out where your data is being sent after submitting a crash report

Nice, still is telemetry, you can remove it, but it has telemetry, I never said telemetry is a bad thing in the first place, you look confused.

>He thinks telemetry has to do with MS
I've proven that is has to do with a lot more companies than just Microsoft. Is that reassuring or acceptable?
>Your obsession with MS is admirable user
How do you justify willingly subjugating yourself in your own home by using Windows 10? I've provided a tutorial on how to completely uninstall this crash reporting tool. Can you even provide a single argument?
>but I don't know what's the point in this discussion since we are talking about Linux.

>Yes, so?
So, don't file crash reports, since they are optional and don't use Ubuntu?
> (You)
>>And do you realize that Linux is open source and that you can easily use another distro?
>Nice, still is telemetry, you can remove it, but it has telemetry, I never said telemetry is a bad thing in the first place, you look confused.
And for the fifth time, it's optional. It's not like you're obligated to provide any personal data while installing Ubuntu, which is not the case with Windows 10. And it's not like this crashes happen constantly.

if you're going to post about microsoft, do it well

Obligatory pasta.

Microsoft is part of NSA's mass surveillance program "PRISM":
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)

Microsoft informs the NSA about bugs before fixing them:
archive.is/OBGB1

Microsoft openly offeres cloud data to support PRISM:
archive.is/tW6fu

Microsoft has backdoored its disk encryption:
archive.is/2XIvX
archive.is/qLRZx

Windows snoops on the users' files, text input, voice input,
location, contacts, calendar records and web browsing history,
even after related settings are turned off:
archive.is/thsGd
archive.is/sz1nt
archive.is/g3QdQ
archive.is/ko469
archive.is/l6pmO
archive.is/zK93U

Micrcrosoft automatically downloads Windows 10 on PCs running
Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 (between 3.5GB and 6GB), even if
users have not opted-in:
archive.is/CEvKh

Windows 10 scans for illegal/pirated software:
archive.is/vhjwm
archive.is/2jehd
archive.is/KQsBh

Microsoft proudly presents surveillance statistics:
archive.is/MB0Yy

> Over 82 billion photos viewed.
> Gamers spent over 4 billion hours playing PC games.
> 44.5 billion minutes/month spent in Microsoft Edge.
> Over 2.5 billion questions asked of Cortana since launch.
> Windows 10 now active on over 200 million devices.

Thank you.

>being this actively on the hunt for a beef
surely not a bait thread

pic related

You proved nothing, I can also spam a lot of links in Sup Forums. bigdeal.

>How do you justify willingly subjugating yourself in your own home by using Windows 10?

Implying.

>So, don't file crash reports, since they are optional and don't use Ubuntu?
Who said telemetry was bad?

>And for the fifth time, it's optional.

That doesn't mean is not there.

This thread is about Linux user, why do you keep spamming your crippy obession with MS?

Because this thread is in fact about canonical, that is a known company to do not like being involved in linux or any gnu/linux related project. They prefer doing their own stuff, which tends to be shit, and they adopt a behaviour that reminds the one of microsoft. They gives you a system that is said to just werk when in fact, it is bloated and unstable.
From an outside point of view, it seems they actually prefer working with microsoft than the linux and FOSS community.

There's no point on arguing with OP, people in this board wouldn't recommend this trash tier distribution for the problem of privacy, ethic and because there are a lot of better distributions.

Providing this user a good pasta actually made this thread useful if I had to guess.

Ubuntu rules.

Debian contains telemetry as well - the last thing you're asked when you install it is if you want to participate in a package usage survey.

I always click yes, because I don't wear tin foil hats.

5 ruppees have been deposited on your loo

>using ubuntu
what did you expect retard

The survey is used to build the install media for each release. Packages that are the most popular are put first on the discs while rarely used ones are moved to the back.

I know why they collect it, weon. It's still telemetry.

How about Debian? oops.

i dont care about debian

>clearly opt in and tells you what data they collect directly
OMG SPYING GUIS LEENOX IS AS BADD AS NSA 10 I SWEAR I'M NOT INDIAN!

Still is telemetry, freetard.

How about all these telemetry threads go to you stupid fucking tinfoil retards.

please feel free to kill yourself anytime.

>Clicking "Continue" fast without reading will set it to "No"
>Reading it actually informs you that there would be data being sent about your computer
>It ends with "Participate?" and Yes/No options, if english is even your fourth language you can find out what this screen wants
>If you won't enable it, it really isn't enabled

If Windows would do even half of these there wouldn't be a problem. Debian does it absolutely right. No one would whine about this feature since you really have to want it to get it.

>defaults to no

So? it is telemetry at the end.

>Pro telemetry
>Not willingly subjugating yourself
Do you even live in reality? And again, how is that admirable or acceptable?
>You proved nothing, I can also spam a lot of links in Sup Forums. bigdeal.
This is like saying that peer reviewed papers hold the same weight of evidence as someone's opinion.
>Who said telemetry was bad?
Can you even present a logically valid argument?
>Telemetry isn't bad.

just because it fits the definition of telemetry does not make it anywhere near as bad as windows', because you can confirm what is sent, where it is sent, and that disabling it actually works.
gb2loo

Who said anything about Windows? you freetards can't stop talking about Windows even in Linux threads.

>browsing internet
>no telemetry

kek

woah it's almost like the heavily implied comparison is of value, but no, keep shitposting that this is "only about linux ;)" while the entire meaning of the op is to antagonize people who dislike fucking real botnets.
pajeet, go back to the loo. i mean it this time.

I don't see how this is telemetry, it's opt-in, and it's not automatic, the fact that it just has a option that closely resembles telemetry, that works for only packages, which do not really contain any personal information, or keystrokes, or anything related to it, it's barely saying debian what packages you installed, and, don't forget it's opt-in, and disabled by default, it's technically not telemetry, please, stop.

yes, macrosoft has washed you out well

You imply to much freetard, looks like you are not happy if Windows is not in your life.

>crippy

and you ignore the popular meaning of words to sit around shitposting semantics all day, it looks like you aren't very good at your job.

When did "telemetry" become a buzzword?

jewbuntu sends all your keystrokes to amazon

If you think that's the point you're a dense motherfucker. The issue people have with Windows 10 is that it's not opt in. Windows 10 tracks your keypresses, and there's fuck all you can do about it.

The fact that you believe that Ubuntu is "Linux" shows how little you actually understand, might I suggest checking with your parents if you're allowed on this website?

But is not just Ubuntu, Debian also has it.

It being Ubuntu's Apport. This has nothing to do with linux.

>uncheck it
>done
wew lad!

Why would you lie on an anonymous chinese shitposting forum?

You're either stupid or playing stupid. You have no idea what all the Microsoft-related domains even are. They have thousands of them. That's why it's called Microsoft and its partners. The only way to block them is to block everything and then allow access to IPs you deem safe one by one.

Blocking at hardware level of course.

why green arrow gets more fat after skype?

I'm not really sure, but I don't think that's what truly matters.

It's one big green arrow with yellow circles on top of it.
Before skype it was just the shaft of an arrow.

Because I'm not.

>He is to clueless to know how to batch block all domains.

It is the most popular Linux distro, of course is Linux related.