For 1080p should I get a 144Hz monitor or a 1080p Freesync 75Hz monitor?im tired of using a TV

For 1080p should I get a 144Hz monitor or a 1080p Freesync 75Hz monitor?im tired of using a TV

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#H=120,240&A=2&sort=a8&page=1
au.pcpartpicker.com/product/ZBZ2FT/aoc-monitor-g2460pf
au.pcpartpicker.com/user/Venzan/saved/
youtube.com/watch?v=8Rp-2_dAJ0k
bestbuy.com/site/dell-27-led-gsync-monitor-black/5293502.p?skuId=5293502
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bump

1080p 144hz all the way

what gpu?

If you have an AMD GPU, I suggest one of these.

pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#H=120,240&A=2&sort=a8&page=1

monitor thread? monitor thread. do you guys think a 480 can handle 3440 x 1440p?

idk if it would be good. Would just stick with 1080 instead.

Vg248qe is best monitor

that monitor is a meme

it has serious black light bleed on the corners

dont get it its poorly made.

fugg, any recommendations then? I'm using an old tv from 2010 as a monitor and was looking for an upgrade to go with the new card.

Budget?

Also: I may have a couple of recommendations for gaming screens!

oh thanks for the chart this is great! looking for something between $2-400 to last a while.

Op just get both, it shouldn't be that much more. I guess it really depends on whether you can maintain a high enough fps to take advanatge for the high refresh rate, otherwise go with the freesync monitor.

why not 144hz freesync? you can get one for around 200~

Neither, get a decent 24" 60hz IPS

Pros: Cheaper, better colour accuracy and viewing angles, perfect size for the average viewing distance

Cons: A few milliseconds extra lag

My theory though is that the brightness gained beyond the bad gamma viewing angles of a TN panel make even that tiny amount of lag a non-issue. Pic related

480 would regularly go below 60fps with that

Non-standard resolution (poor compatibility) and most of the screen being outside even decent peripheral vision means it's a bad idea

STOP BUYING LCD 2017
shit tech taht needed to die ten years ago ffs.

just got a gtx 1080 and i want to get a new monitor now. Are any of these good? Want to go for a bigger monitor

>Are any of these good?

Nope

getting the acer x34. i really dont care anymore

au.pcpartpicker.com/product/ZBZ2FT/aoc-monitor-g2460pf

24Hz is enough because the human eye can't see beyond 24fps anyway.

/thread

nice color reproduction, stevie wonder.

Made me reply kek

>im tired of using a TV

This always triggers me when i see it

>people with amazing builds
>using a 720p HDTV

physically hurts my insides

Freesync doesn't add as much to the total cost of a monitor as Gsync does, if you can afford a 144Hz then you save up for another few weeks and get one with freesync

au.pcpartpicker.com/user/Venzan/saved/

which should I go for?

number one's monitor is Freesync

the cards are neck and neck but I'd go with Number 1, monitor sync is really good. You used to be able to upgrade that Asus one with a gsync module but I don't think they even sell those anymore, and they were hugely expensive anyway

now let's say I put an 8gb 1070 in the second build

would you still recommend the first?

I really call bull shit on this. As a boilermaker I'd constantly 'flinch' at sparks going to my eyes a moment before impact saving my sight. This 24fps shit in my mind is only explainable by the motion blur we experience, but I put it to you this is with reason. It helps up calculate speed and direction of objects.
Video very related.
youtube.com/watch?v=8Rp-2_dAJ0k

>tfw budget gamer in 3rd world
>buy korean OCable IPS 1440p because it was cheaper than a 1080p IPS 60hz locally at the time
>years later now, great monitor, bummed only about how hard it is to drive a few games at 1440p (TW3) and how its my only 16:9 monitor but only takes DVI (no consoles)
>check around what I could upgrade to without losing any benefits
>1440p IPS 144hz starts at $870 here
>bought this thing for $250 like 3 years ago and its 1440p IPS "110hz"

What the fuck

you fell for the meme

Generic monitor + 1070, if you max the refresh rate there's no need for *sync

I'm just a lonely man looking for a debate on a subject that's unlikely to have a defined answer.

Any thoughts about LG's 22/23/24MP68VQ monitors? They're the cheapest freesync I can find here, or should I invest my money into something else?

>unlikely to have a defined answer.

But thats wrong. Which is an odd thing to miss considering you posted some youtube shit, when you could've youtubed the actual answer.
The human eye can see way more than "24 fps", 24fps is the bare minimum for motion to look fluid with motion blur (in movies), without motion blur (not the post processing effect) it is still choppy.

But what's the upper limit?
Anyone measured the frequency of impulses coming from our eyes to the brain?

144 all day

It's like going from HDD to SSD, there's nothing like it

Nothing solid, or possibly measurable, as it depends on both the person and his situation.

Your example being a good one, know that "time slows down when in danger" thing? It is adrenaline and a bunch of other chemicals boosting your perception to its "limit", so you can see the incoming danger and react to it.
When put in numbers that would be akin to your perception "running at say 100fps" by default, but due to the circumstances it gets boosted to "400fps" and as you perceive more of the world, time seems to slow down instead. Ofcourse its not that simple, but it is basically how it works.

>if you max the refresh rate

>1080p

disgusting, get 1200p

16:10 > 16:9 everyday

a few years ago I read about how they tested fighting jet pilots in simulators
they had to react to other jet appearing on the screen and they capped roughly at the jet appearing for 1/250 of a second so I guess ~250fps is more than enough considering they were fucking jet pilots, not some subhuman video gaymer playing counter strike pretending to have superhuman reaction and eye hand coordination
I don't think anything above 144hz makes much of a difference really

why should i get a freesync monitor when the best gpus don't support it?

>But what's the upper limit
As many fps as our world has, infinity.

Cheers.
250fps seems about right.
>subhuman video gaymer playing counter strike pretending to have superhuman reaction and eye
>I don't think anything above 144hz makes much of a difference really
In that case I think 180+fps could be a handicap almost. Considering it's still only 60 tick servers. Could end up 'prefireing' on corners.
Smartass.
There's probably an answer to this, I can't imagine the sun and other light sources plus reflections could add up to infinity.

also implying our brain has infinite processing power

Frequency of* the sun and other light sources plus reflections could add up to infinity.

Competitive vidya gamers of ye olde CRT times were actually the closest in reaction times to jet pilots and such.

Diminishing returns apply heavily to refresh rate, the difference between 144 and 180 is miniscule compared to anything before it. As you say - in the packet delays/tickrate already caps you far more.

Depends if we operate on a restricted wavelength. i.e. Single band is restrictive as it depends on the neural network. But if we operate on multi-banding, that greatly expands on our processing power.

Probably a shitty explanation but I think it gets the point across.

>What is sample and hold

Just bought this (waiting on Best Buy to say it's ok to come pick up)
bestbuy.com/site/dell-27-led-gsync-monitor-black/5293502.p?skuId=5293502

I've noticed most of these monitors ITT are 24"
Is 27" too big for only 1440p?

I've got a 24' 1080. I think that's the upper limit for those as monitors. 27' 1440p should be more than fine. Might be a little big for gaming. But that's an each their own size.

No, 27" 1440p is great, I use it and I'd be more afraid of 24" 1440p making things way too small in general.
Its also great for splitting to 4x720p for multitasking.

sweet, currently using 25" 1080p and after I got my 4k laptop this just looks so awful, like when you see old people still using 800x600

Anyone really, just mostly older women that do it.

>4k laptop

Well I found that kind of shit unbearable on 15" and 17" even.

I think 1440p/27 hits a good density, right before everything on the internet starts looking too small.

I scale to 1440p, but the added pixels help make text look extra nice

Well yeah but some things just don't take to scaling too well, and in the end I found it pointless, would rather have just 1440p in those too (which would still make me scale things up).

But at home, 27"1440p middle, two vertical 1200p screens is pretty damn nice.

Freesync is a meme. Ask yourself do I need a fast monitor or one with good colour. Then buy either 144hz or an IPS/PLS.

I want both.

Your only choice for resolution is 1440p and they're expensive.

I know ;_;

It's only gonna get worse for you in 3rd world, America is about to be great again.

So? They don't manufacture a fucking thing.
If anything it'll get worse for them, US has been an electronics paradise for consumers.

>They don't manufacture a fucking thing.
What do you think becoming great again is all about?

Exactly what I said, if the US wants to manufacture its own shit - the consumer paradise will be lost because they are waaay behind the competition and such improvements need money, money that will be taken from the consumer.

As a 3rd worlder this hardly affects me, in fact it can be positive for me.

Radeon Hd 7870 2Gb. About to upgrade to an rx 480

With my gtx 970, old games(borderlands 2) run 60 fps no problem. Xcom2 I get 40-50fps on medium settings and about 27-40 fps on Witcher 3 medium settings.

>what is Planck time

>what is half a Planck time unit

Get a 144HZ freesync display

Or look for the pixio 1440p 144HZ IPS freesync display it's around $400

Pixio 1440p 144 HZ freesync its around $400

Not here, also not a brand I'd ever trust, also
>freesync

1440p

Oh sorry good sir, is there a better monitor for the money you can point me to? No?

If you ise this chart, make sure you actually look up the monitors. Didnt check every one, but it lists the xb271hu as a freesync monitor, when it's a gsync monitor.

Got my 1440p 144 Hz monitor from Best Buy today and I'm not sure if a guy there was a hero or making fun of me haha

what the fuck is capping your system.

@home instead of mobile now
Let me explain a bit

>get to Best Buy
>Find pick up location
>geek squad is handled by an asian guy
>customer service + ISPU is no guys present
>hear a guy that I guess is a manager talking saying that a guy in gray shirt is just standing at desk and to help him
>gray shirt guy is me
>they get me my item
>Feels good

BUT the manager guy sounded like he was calling me a fag for just standing there

You work at best buy, jordan

nope I don't think I could handle it :O

Where can I find a proper non-flat CRT?
are there any manufacturers still producing them for any purpose?