Capital letters and punctuations

>6 days into touch typing training
>can type without looking into keyboard now
>70 wpm average, 102 wpm peak
>introduce capitalization, punctuations, dashes, and the occassional symbols
>drop to 30 wpm

hey guys, I've reached my typing speed when I first started without homerow! I think the real achievement here is that I could type without looking at the keyboard now. However, I am having a lot of trouble with the things listed above.

Here's a list of common problems that I face:
> punctuations such as , . ? ! ' ; :
> capital letters tend to slow me down also I only use left shift
> symbols like * % $ #

I still have to hunt and peck the symbols and punctuation. A long way to go indeed still excited about my progress, I think I could reach my 65 wpm average with common punctuation and symbol by the end of this week.

Other urls found in this thread:

typing.io/
play.typeracer.com/?rt=zarwhuubay0o
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

good 4 u

thanks! its been a bumpy start, and there is still a lot to go.

what are you using to learn touch typing?

i primarily used keybr.com to know the places of the keys. I find it very useful.

I then use NitrotypeRace and typeracer to use it with real sentences and benchmark my performance

typing song lyrics are hard! especially stylized ones like the one using words like livin' and "Baby," quotations are hard yo

typing.io/

touch type training for programmers

>typing.io/
interesting! i will be checking it out! thanks for the recommendation.

no prob. i keep meaning to do this. one month of forcing myself to type correctly, and i'd be much more efficient for the rest of my life. hard to unlearn many years of muscle memory, though

>mfw I can type at ~120 wpm and I only use my thumbs and my index fingers

kek

for me, there wasn't much of a muscle memory since i literally look at my keyboard and press a key with my index. I had nothing to lose and everything to gain. For most people that replied to my past threads, they dont need it since they do 90+ wpm with their own techniques.

also, keybr.com
This one has some nice graphing of weakness and tracking too.

this is like the fifth time I've seen somebody mention they're only just recently learning to touch type here
What the fuck is happening
How old are you people

I do about 75-80, but that's only because I make a lot of mistakes. I only use my index and middle fingers. Don't have to look, but it's still inefficient as fuck. I'll eventually do it.

I type with pretty much every finger on my left hand and just my index finger ( and sometimes my ring finger or pinky to hit right shift/enter) and I type at 120-130wpm

Homerow is for retards, QWERTY when used in english heavily favors the left side of the keyboard.

lets race fags

join my room

play.typeracer.com/?rt=zarwhuubay0o

fantastic! there are a lot of people that encourages me to learn colemak or dvorak since I was there already trying to learn a layout. But I persisted with qwerty, you might want to consider their suggestions.

a lot of people seemed to got used with their thumb and indexes

>play.typeracer.com/?rt=zarwhuubay0o
I'm in.

OP is kintama. See how slow I type. its comically bad

>tfw been touch typing for ages
but I feel slow as hell, I get like 85 peak and usually am close to 70

and I'm loads slower when coding

we had typing classes while I was in school and my dad bought me Mavis Beacon as a kid, but I didn't really bother
really only stopped looking at the keyboard once I started using IRC often

it's also a bunch easier for me to type if I'm not looking at the screen/any indication of what I'm typing, but that doesn't really help when doing typing tests

my left hand uses each finger fairly equally, while my right hand is almost completely dominated by my middle and index fingers when typing

>Not learning to touch type by entering "pepperoni pizza" a thousand times in Age of Empires before you learnt what copy and paste is

>people who have to learn touch typing in 2017
How old are you? I learned this when I was 11-13 years old just by using my computer a lot.

>can type without looking into keyboard now
isn't that everyone ? I had my first computer at 6 and i don't remember ever needing to look at the keyboard to type. And i learn about touch typing a couple of years ago so i don't think it's related.

Nice. I recently started touch typing and I reached a comfortably 40-50 wpm in qwerty. It's kinda fun to do it, but now I'm falling into the alternative layout meme and started to seriously consider switching.

Dvorak it's my primary option since it's the one with the most support from the meme layouts. I considered Colemark, but if I was going to pick a layout that was not widely supported, I might as well make one from scratch that suited my tastes.

>not setting up a macro on an old controller and setting it to type it continuously until you release a button