The state of the linux meme

> be you
> experienced with linux for 10 years
> have seen the whole 2.2 to 2.6 kernel era very closely
> be sure that it's much better now
> install debian stable which is supposed to just work even if it's not a bleeding edge meme (as if anything much happens in 2 months)
> open firefox
> let's try chrome to see if works and to download our online profile from google
> search for chrome
> find it
> google suggests a .deb so it's ready right there and supported
> click download and open with the only available package manager
> it turns out that package manager is not even an installer, on a fucking Live USB of more than 1GB+
> you have to install it on the console or on another GUI manager after you install it

AHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

10-20 years they had for that basic shit and they chose to ignore it. Google gives you a .deb on Firefox and you can't even install it with one click on a live USB of more than 1GB of files.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

But I have to admit Fedora did it almost immediately. Torvalds runs Fedora (/tips Fedora). But then Chrome wouldn't open at all on a 1.5Gig USB linux,

Jesus fucking christ.

Even if it just worked it would be a problem with all that third party software that are just knock-offs of proper software.

Linux is a lost cause. Only for servers it's great.

It's not really even for Development that great.

I won't even attempt to talk about Design.

sage

Linux was a mistake.

>downloading debs from the internet
What is thus, Windows?
>what are repos
>what is Chromium

I agree! Fuck Linix!
macOS master race!

Are we being raided by r/windows?

>download .deb
>dpkg --install chrome_something.deb
There. It's done. Also you should have gotten testing instead of "stable" a.k.a. outdated.

All the 3 users? ayymazin'

>not dpkg -i

>lying about using linux in order to be taken seriously
pathetic desu

Linux... Linux never changes

it just doesn't werk

I'm honest. I'm pretty experienced on it actually. I know very well how to use apt on the console. I just find it ludicrous that a fucking live iso of more than 1GB can't have a 1 fucking GUI installer preinstalled for basic shit like that.

I should probably just go and report it so you motherfuckers can't say I don't do anything about it. "Open source and all".

Why are you attempting to install things using a live CD? Shouldn't you wait until the OS is installed on your hard drive before installing shit?

They actually do support it. And it's fun that they do it so you can test basic stuff (your browser and browser profile is basic stuff nowadays). They use RAM as a virtual drive I guess. If you get the official chrome .deb and install it with dpkg (or after you install a gui installer) then chrome runs fine.

Though it failed on Fedora linux. I guess they don't do virtual disks well.

On Ubuntu, you can just double click the deb file and the software center will install it. Why you would want to avoid the command line, I have no idea. Every person who uses a computer should be familiar with the command line.

> Every person who uses a computer should be familiar with the command line.

That's bullshit in this case. It's a live ISO, so I found it obviously wrong, I know how to do it with dpkg.

Ubuntu I guess it's better on that kind of thing but I don't trust it on overall design philosophy.

If you were really angry about it you wouldn't just "say" your angry about it. Come on now. If Ubuntu could get the graphical installer then Debian should be right behind it, Open a bug report and submit a feature request. The worst they could say is no. At that point I would get involved and be the change I would want it to be.

Mac os is pretty good aesthetically, I just don't want to buy overpriced garbage hardware.

Same goes for iPhones.

If you are such a linux professional and want a graphic installer then fucking install it. The reason it's not there is that many people, like me, don't really feel the need for such features to be there by default. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with using a graphic installer, I just don't feel the need for it on the rare occasion I install a binary not from the repos, and I'm sure many people feel like it. And you are really retarded for shaming all linux distros because of this, when in reality many distros come with this feature. And it is good that some of them don't when there is demand for all kinds of different distros.

>feel like it
feel like me too*

Disregarding the faggot op, how's wine 2.0?

Depends on what you are looking to run...

The best MBPs, like 2012-2015 are pretty cheap nowadays fanpai

this is why i dislike people who try to push linux as a consumer OS
it's not, and the people who use it are fine with this
the people who are not fine with this don't use it