Php: yay or nay?

Ok Sup Forumsentlemen, lets settle this for once

What is the general consensus on learning PHP? Is it "le trash babbys first webdev lang" or is it actually worth learning? Considering pay and job availability, one could think its still worth it but with all the FOTM frameworks and meme languages popping out lately, confusion ensues.

Also, PHPv7 is apparently aeons faster than its predecessors, so why does everybody in Sup Forums demonize this language?

>PHP

lmao go back to codeacademy faget

If you abide by Sup Forums standards, you will end up coding C in Vim for a lost cause (say, kernel contributions for a dead-end linux dist)

PHP is legit. By all means, learn it.

>go back to code academy
>learning isn't allowed and I'm gonna mock you for trying to learn anything
You are the problem.

Most of the modern faggots on Sup Forums come from Sup Forums or Sup Forums or dabble in a little programming for school so they have no clue what they are talking about.

If anything, look at your local job market and see what they're looking for and base it upon that.

>ITT: people with no actual passion for computers who only program for the wage
off yourselves

i think i fell for the js backend meme

You should try and ask this in /wdg/

PHP - HTML - CSS - JS - SQL

Then expand onto whatever you like. Become proficient at these, build a portfolio and you will get hired.

PHP7 is fast, yeah. Faster than Python/Ruby I would argue.

>for once
Right. On Sup Forums? Good luck.

You're asking several questions here:

> Can I get a job if I learn php?
Yes.

> Is it a good language?
By no means.

> But I can do things with it?
Yes, but the language is still terrible.

> Okay, but what should I learn then?
Java, C#, node.js, Python are currently widely usedfor backend stuff. php is too.

> So any of those?
If ALL you care about is getting a job. Yes.

> What else should I learn?
For a web job?
> HTML, CSS, JavaScript
For front-end.

> Programming Language + SQL
For back end.

But I wouldn't recommend PHP. It is not a good language for its niche. It's sole selling quality is that its popular. And why would you care about that?

>It's sole selling quality is that its popular. And why would you care about that?
Because he could be extremely employable, maybe?
Why would somebody care if the "language is terrible"?

God, I swear to god, Sup Forums sometimes is the embodiment of autism and social retardation.

Look up symfony framwork for php. It actually makes php quite compfy.

php is:

-too mainstream
-too available
-works with everything
-has frameworks and has slightly less io than other langs because it actually has features
-an employable job market skill

therefore you are not allowed in our secret dropout club. now excuse me, I need to go cry into a bag of doritos because I am smarter than you

This. Sup Forums is filled with cancer from...

WHICH DISTRO SHOULD I USE? WHY ARE JAVA, JS, AND PHP SHIT EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE WIDELY USED??!

Fuck all of you faggots.

Not sure if sarcastic or truthful

does anyone have that image macro of the php founder just ranting on about how great php is?

coz it's shit and pic related killed it already.

i got a php course on codecademy. i cant see practical use of php. i just learned sintax and i dont even know how should i use that with web development.

>shilling nodejs unironically
>calling php shit
numales pls go and stay go

Nay.

In order to make it usable, you need to install so many layers of abstraction that you could use literally anything else.
You'd even get way better performance because the other languages would do it right right from the start.

PHP is a shit language that is widely used. If you want a job and don't have a degree, learn it. Then you can join the 3 billion other Pajeets spilling spaghetti code all over a thousand ancient WordPress plugins

Depends if you wanna make an easy 100k from the get go. If yes then php os for you. But be careful cause they are lots of jalous neckbeards here who might be using more complex languages that arent more performant. It is code elistism for ppl with no gf because in life you wanna code it quick then fuck some pussy.

Thanks for an honest opinion. Can I develop single-page apps with PHP/JS and make them run fast and well, or should I invest time in learning general-purpose languages like Python or Go, for this same matter?

good post

>php
>anywhere near decent salary
I know market rates and believe, a PHP regular makes maybe 120% of what a Java junior gets.

>i cant see practical use of php
>sintax

No, because learning some random alive-for-a-month language or framework will net you twice as high salaries on average compared to PHP. Mainly because every web coder on Earth knows PHP, but orders of magnitude less people can maintain a corporate app that was written in, I dunno, Lua or Haskell.

>defends php
kek

PHP most of the time is just fine, however if you want cutting edge async SPA's, use JS. Both are useful. Whoever engages in these back and forth language wars is retarded.

don't have an opinion about it yet, I was looking for a new language to learn and next semester we will use php in college, so why not learn

plus this , was looking a job and 3 came up with php