>2017
>he still dual boots

If you don't use GPU passthrough in your virtual machine, you're doing it wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=GhNBQFGFLfs
bumblebee-project.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>having 2 monitors

Settle down Neo.

If my CPU had an iGPU I might try it.

But for now I'd need a 2nd dGPU and getting two dGPUs to cooperate i've heard can be a pain in the ass depending how the PCIe lanes are configured.

Is there a way to run the host with graphic output while a VM with GPU passthrough is running?

can win10 still spy on me even in a virtual machine playing my manchild games online?

The host is running off a 2nd less powerful GPU, usually an integrated GPU. So whatever you're doing needs to be able to run on the iGPU, or whatever 2nd dGPU you decide to use.

I don't need Windows often enough to care.

I thought you needed to know some neckbeard wizardry to be able to pull this off. Has it gotten easier to do this?

Much easier, assuming your hardware supports the virtualization passthrough of a PCIe graphics device.

>tfw vfio masterace

you need hardware support otherwise it has been really easy to setup for years now, it has only got easier since all of the gaymers jumped all over it

>using windows at all

but nigger how am i supposed to do this with a single gpu when my mobo/cpu does not have a iGPU either

My whole system freezes when I install nvidia driver to guest machine. Can't figure out what to do.

i always run into the problem of needing the graphics power on both systems
i want to do 3D stuff and gaming. If I do both in the VM, what am I even using Gnu/Linux for?

>not just having a big desk with a windows gaymen pc and a loonix thinkpad for shitposting on the side

what do you use linux for? Also, if you want to use your gpu on your host, you could just grab that script that changes your gpu from vfio to nvidia (or amd) drivers and viceversa.

How is the CPU usage?

I heard it's quite difficult to find graphics cards that behave well when you swap like that without a reboot. Has this changed?

My setup is very similar to this except with only one monitor and a KVM. My question is how do you run xrandr to turn off a monitor and then let the VM take over? If you're using 2 GPUs, doesn't one of them then need to be using a different output?

If his 2nd monitor is plugged into both GPUs when he boots up the windows VM he could have it set to auto detect and switch when a new input is active or run a script to change to the proper input or similar trigger.

From the xrandr usage printout:

xrandr --output --off

Then like said, his monitor probably auto-detects the new input.

That's what I was thinking, but would the monitor really switch over that fast? I haven't gotten a new monitor in almost 6 years so maybe I've just never experienced it, though. What about something like a VGA hub? Would that be capable of allowing one GPU output to display to 2 independent monitors?

>2017
been doing this since 2012

Do i win?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=GhNBQFGFLfs

Yes

I don't know, I have a 960 and it works fine.

I did it, but the keyboard and mouse latency kills it.

Yes, I did pass my USB devices directly into Winblows and I still felt the latency.

And how's the input hooked up? Don't you need 2 sets of mouse and keyboard? A KVM is also required or it can be done via software?

holy shit

No. I have two monitors. I hook up both to my iGPU (Intel). I have a third cable from my AMD card to my main gaming monitor. It's literally an extra cable to one of the monitors. I load Win7 VM and I can play virtually 1:1 performance as I would if Windows was on hardware. None of that dual booting shit too which is always a waste of time. I run Manjaro and i3 atm.

>Don't you need 2 sets of mouse and keyboard?

that's one option

>A KVM is also required

another popular option, but not required

>or it can be done via software?

the most popular software method is to use synergy which should give almost no latency (given that networking between the guest and host can easily achieve 10gbps, but synergy isn't an ideal solution)

given that the host can dynamically remap usb ports that are passed through, the least supported option but arguably the best is to write a script to do this and have some communication between the guest and host so you can toggle this from inside the vm and on the host machine

you shouldn't be getting *any* latency when passing through usb devices, how are you passing them through exactly?

There are different approaches,

you can setup you VM without the gpu at first, install synergy, make sure it works and make it run at boot, and then passthough your gpu

You can also passthrough your mouse and keyboard

you could also passyhrough jist the mouse for the initial setup, although it's not very comfortable.

You can also, as you said, ise a KVM switch

Or you can use one of those fancy bluetooth mouses that hook up to more than one computer and just passthriugh the keyboard

And that's what I can think off now, there might be some other way to do so, though.

So, If I only have 1 video card and an iGPU, does the card automatically switch back to Linux when the Windows VM stops?

I was doing passthrough up until a week or so ago, now I just have 2 separate machines.
Yes, I used my integrated graphics for the host and passed an RX 470 to the VM. I even plugged them into the same monitor so I just switched inputs on the monitor to go back to the host. I also forwarded apps over X to the VM so I could run programs from the host in the VM as desired

this guide assumes my CPU has an iGPU, xeons and HEDT chips don't have one though.

No, you have to use your igpu for linux, the gpu needs other drivers to be loaded. It doesn't do that automatically.

You can use a script to attach the gpu drivers so you can use it on your host again, bit you'll have to kill the x-session first, or go to another tty.

It doesn't assume anything and goes over using two third party GPU's.

You need two monitors (or two cables into the same monitor) and your monitor can usually be set up to auto-switch inputs when the VM stops sending signal

is this a parody?

I misread question, sorry

Nothing. 2 monitors are cool. 3 are for gaymers. +3 are for spergs.

I still use ivy bridge.

That's the thing they don't need to to. It's not like xFire or SLI, they do their own thing

sandy bridge supported vt-d, pretty sure a few generations before that supported it as well

it was the k chips that lacked vt-d up until about devils canyon on the higher end cards

Tried passing the whole USB controler and the devices themselves. I did the usual way, like it's explained in all the tutorials.

It's totally noticiable in Osu.

>GPU passthrough
Why not just tun loonix inside a vm on windows host?

Why is your hair so long? Don't you have a father?

There must be something wrong with your setup, or it could also be some placebo effect.

Fuck off dumbass, if your computer doesn't separate the PCI lanes properly it wont work. This isn't an issue with newer hardware usually, but something 1-2 generations old will potentially fuck you.

Unless it's a xeon or HEDT setup.

something must be screwey in your setup or you've found an obscure hardware bug because there really shouldn't be any added latency when passing through usb devices devices, there's an obvious performance overhead but it should all mostly be running as close to bare metal as far as vms get

The game itself shows the input lag.

On a Windows install I get around 10ms, but on passthrough it goes to around 80ms.

The latency may not be noticiable by you, but it is by me.

I have macOS and Parallels running fullscreen on my second monitor. Literally the exact same thing.

1- what game is it?
2- again, don't you think there could be wrong with your setup? There shouldn't be any input lag.
3- have you tried other software besides that game to test the input lag?

Parallels is miles ahead compared to other software 3d acceleration but it is still much slower then gpu passthrough. And it still do not support dx12.

yes but OSX is for work not for retard gaymurs

linux too, that's the why people use the gpu-passthrough thing

roadmap for Fedora 26 includes making Boxes (gnome VM manager) having hardware passthrough a "point and click" adventure

I tried doing this but couldn't get it to work. So I just did the other way around. Its not bad because I use Linux daily anyways for my laptop and only need the desktop VM for certain assignments that are required to run on the specific VM they use in the computer labs as well.

>editing text files is wizardry
neo/g/ everyone

Don't dual boot (separate PCs) but I've been planning to use passthrough VMs for my windows work so I can have as many dev/test environments on hand as I please but with proper performance instead of the cucked performance of shit like vmware or virtualbox

>The game itself shows the input lag.

how do you get the game to display 'input lag'? I downloaded it to verify but I can't find anywhere to test input lag, the closest I can find is displaying frame times (which is obviously not input lag)

>The latency may not be noticiable by you, but it is by me.

I'm not saying that you're not getting input lag, I'm saying there shouldn't be *any* input lag, it should behave exactly like a native setup with an extremely minor penalty on total performance (talking about 95-99% compared to 100% native here)

>Windows on the main monitor
Spotted the manchild.

The VM is always going to run worse and waste resources.

Here's my adventure with gpu passthrough
>mess with lunix for some time
>hey i have all the right hardware needed for gpu passthrough
>x99 so no iGPU
>get a second card for lunix
>plan to pass my gaymen gpu to windows
>ok lets do this
>install second card
>turn on PC
>no display
>spend 5 hours trying to boot into linux
>bios works but once it loads the OS it just goes to black screen
>test the gpu in other system, everything's fine
>reinstall windows

>how do you get the game to display 'input lag'?
Options, scroll down to section "Mouse".

>too dumb to install linux

neo/g/

You have to press "raw input" also

So i can try to look cute in angle shots :/
Is the advantage that u can run linux applications in the background, because seems like a dual boot would make much more since, with ssd boot times.

>reading comprehension
autism

>tfw to smart to determine which GPU to use

You've got manjaw, hon. No amount of hair will cover that.

>tfw bought mobo before hearing about PCI/PCI-e passthru
>my mobo doesn't support it

just pass the Colorx senpai.

It has to do with PCIe mapping, some motherboards just make it a real pain in the ass to get it to work properly. Which is why using an iGPU is the recommended way, but with x99 that isn't possible.

Both GPUs didn't display anything
I removed the second and returned to original configuration but shit just broke somehow

I'm sorry you paid for a computer you don't know how to use, then.

Maybe you should stick to Dells?

>it's user's fault shitnux cannot detect a newly installed GPU

nice meme

You'll get there some day, champ. ;^)

Show me how to do that with Optimus and it's a deal. Forget that, just show me how to get Optimus working period.

>It's the OS's fault the user is too stupid to add new hardware

nice meme

I already did, using the superior OS as we speak :^)

Oh please tell me the right way, I'm really curious what I did wrong

How do I do this.

>2002+15
>Plug and Play is not a thing on linuks
Keep your terminal cancer.

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

That's great, but last time I tried I couldn't even get the VM to launch.

tell me what you did then.

What's the input latency like? Does it vary mobo to mobo or should any z170/x99 chipset mobo be fine?
How does Linux handle the audio on the VM? For example, if I had the graphics card outputting to a receiver that's hooked up to my TV, would Pulse fuck with the audio signal somehow?

RIP Street Fighter on passthrough
but the promised linux version will come right, guys?

>the current year
>plug and play exists
>still fucking up when installing

FTFY

For most setups including mine you'll use Synergy. I have absolutely no noticeable latency but I imagine depending on how your LAN is set up you might get variable latency.

why? is that the game he was testing? why would you use a mouse to play a figthing game?

bumblebee-project.org/

I tried adding every boot option in GRUB like nomodeset and bunch of other variations. I tried GRUB rescue or what's it called.

This fixes the problem for 99% of people but not for me.

>claims plug and play exists
>still calls it installing
pick one faggot!

no you dingus, tell me exactly what you dod, you canct be this fucking vague and expect someone to help you, what's the hardware you're running? waht distro? what' gpu are you trying to use for linux? do you get sound or something? feel free to add info that you think it's relevant and I didn't asked for, thqt is, if you really want the help and you're not just a boring teenager trying to be an epic troll

pls respond

If you run through a SPICE head or Synergy, you'll have noticeable input lag. SPICE does software rendered cursors too so its response time is awful.

The only way to make it playable is to passthrough a USB device directly in my experience.

>putting new hardware in the socket isn't installong said hardware

are you okay? did you hit your head?

I have no idea what's going on in this webm

If you call "plugging in" shit installing, then I regularly install my electric razor before I shave, then uninstall it. Why the fuck do you think it's called plug and play, not install and play?