/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ErV0uWabRMU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias
aliexpress.com/item/New-Original-Laptop-Touchpad-Cover-Trackpad-Cap-Mouse-Board-Shell-Lid-For-Lenovo-Thinkpad-X220-X220I/32723430533.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

DONALD TRUMP USES A MAC! THINKPAD KEKS BTFO!

Do you guys recognize the thinkpad model that appears at the end of this episode?

youtube.com/watch?v=ErV0uWabRMU

HAHAHAHAHAHA! HOW CAN THINKPADS COMPETE WITH MACS NOW? YOUR BETACU.CK THINKPADS ARE JEB TRASH.

I was using X30 and t42 and i like them a lot. Planning to buy something newer and so far T420 is the only option? I want something smaller. X30 is small but the screen is huge. God machine, really. Is there something similar?

So, besides the keyboard, is there anything else the x230 does different/worse than the x220?

I'm trying to decide between the x220,x230, EliteBook 2570p and latitude E6230/E6330.

I want to quadcore my x230. I am not scared of BGA rework. I will post pics of the process when it happens. Will an i7 3612qe require BIOS modification or thermal management considerations?

I am 100% serious.

EliteBook 2570 unless you have a hardon for thinkpads

I don't know anything about doing it but I really want to know how it goes.

I don't really, of the three I like the general looks of the thinkpads the least. I have a thing for metal.

Why the elitebook over the latitudes though? I've heard they're quite a bit heavier and have worse screens.

x201 masterrace reporting in

I have an i5 2230m, but I've heard from a few people that the i7s installed in the x230 didn't offer much advantage in practice. My goal to see if a quad core i7 offers considerable improvement, but I'm not an expert in processors or compatibility.

X61/X61s are the last ones with the same godlike form factor as X30. You can also get the chink X62 with modern innards if you dont mind the cost.

how fucking many battery life do you get on your t430s's ?
I expect answer only from xsauc thqh

T430 judging by the keyboard

I recently purchased an X220 which is running Windows 7 and has all the Lenovo crap still installed. I noticed that when I close the laptop it makes a beeping sound every couple of minutes if I don't mute it.
I only just noticed this time as I was watching a stream that after beeping it turned back on completely.
My main guess is that it's caused by the stuff Lenovo added but have no idea what setting it could be.

>autism

it's not a T430, it's a T61 most likely, those indicator lights were dropped with the T410, so was that button design for the trackpoint, audio jacks are in the place where they would be on a T61, hinge sizes are also correct, IEEE 1394 also in the right place, trackpad is the same as the T61, which is primarily why i'd say it's not a T400

wrong pic

chose the one with the webcam because of the size and perspective of the picture, but if you look at this one without a webcam you'll see the pattern at the top also fits

X220 masterrace
dicks up your ass

Could also be a T400 though. The case is basically the same. Most parts are even interchangable.

>IEEE 1394
Has anyone ever used FireWire anyways? I had a DV camera that I could capture video from using FireWire and I think I've heard of audio interfaces that require it. But I've never actually met someone who used it.

I've read that between elitebooks/latitudes/thinkpads the elitebook screens are the worst. Is it really bad and/or noticible?

And I didn't see anything about hp probooks in the buyer's guide. Except for the i3 instead of i5 they seem pretty decent to me, or am I missing something?

No, the T400 trackpad is as wide as the buttons.
If it were a T400 it would not be using its original parts, at least.

Trying to decide on a Samsung EVO or Samsung PRO SSD for my x230t. Someone told me that the x230t will bottleneck even the cheapest SSDs out today and it's not worth putting a PRO in there. Is this true?

>Is it really bad and/or noticible?
Not that bad unless you're using it to watch anime or gaymen. They are awesome machines for the price and still look good today.

Well it's using SATA 3. That would mean a maximum of 3Gbit/s. Compare that to your SSD's read and write speed.

I'm pretty sure the X230(t) supports SATA 3, i.e. 6 Gbps, however if you go mSATA then you may struggle, at least the xx20 series only supported SATA 2 (3 Gbps) in the mSATA slot

I think it's most noticeable when the image is really dark because the contrast is beyond horrible

I was going to use it to watch some weeb cartoons downstair or in bed. Is that just a no-go then?

whoops, made a mistake there. as
said, it's 6Gbit/s. With an SSD your speeds would max out at 600MB/s

You can honestly cum all over those things and it won't even make a dent. I find the screen comfy tbqhf

Are there any PCIe devices I could put into my X220 besides UMTS and SSD? I have one empty slot but I need neither of them. Got my HDD replaced with an SSD and I don't want mobile networking. Anything else I could use the slot for?

6 Gbps would give a theoretical max of 750 MBps, but that's very fast.

in praxis it's 600MB/s

not really
i prefer the x230, but then again i'm using a dock and egpu

really wishing lenovo had made a p30

Thats not really info that will be particularely useful to me. But it's nice to know that I can splooge all over my screen without having to worry about damage, I suppose.

i have both an x230t and an x230, one with i5, one i7

in both benchmarks and daily use there was a small, but significant difference between the two

No, I've seen them do at least 560 MBps in terms of file transfers, which with 8b/10b encoding is 700 MBps

I use a Pro and recommend it. We're not just talking speed here, but also memory life and reliability.

here is mine at 2 years

What benchmarks are we talking here?

i don't remember desu, but at least one was principle of talos

this was a while ago

Got a x220 with some small cracks on the base of the body. What's the best way to fix it? I've heard about using some type of putty but I'm wondering if anyone has anything better.

Also, any clue how much it would cost to replace the base by myself? How involved would it be? Should I just get a parts laptop?

Just buy a new x220.

Bought a X220 (Good condition) for $119.90
Pretty good price if you ask me. It get's here tomorrow.

if only 420 had literally anything but this ancient Intel HD 3000 shit

T420 has an option for NVS 4200M
regardless, the HD 3000 is decent for productivity at least with resolutions up to WQHD

x220: qt twink

t420: hot bear

Small cracks, just don't want them to expand

What's your blogspot so I can follow the saga?

What's your tumblr so I can enjoy more of your passive aggressive anger?

I only post dick pics on my tumblr.

>x220

Why can't you cucks just accept the x230 is superior after you swap out the keyboard.

they're both fine you dork

The x230 doesn't really do anything better than the x220 does, and if you need something that the x220 can't do, the x230 likely can't do it either.

Really it comes down to the keyboard you like.

i'd say buy whichever one is cheapest that day

This. Both are great. x220 has a much better keyboard (in manys' opinion) for if you ever have to do much typing.

What is the cheapest laptop I can get which has the best screen? Should have good build quality similar to ThinkPads.

ASUS EEE PC

holy shit. there is people still roleplaying and saying that x220 is better than x230.

x220t, has IPS.

>It has a bigger number, guys!

see this: Seriously, don't get caught up on benchmarks. If you are, you will never be happy with either. If you need something that the x220 can't do, chances are you need something more powerful than either to do it well.

Is getting a t430 with the nvidia graphics worth it? They're kinda hard to find these days for cheap. Or should I just find a regular ol t430?

How much do you like gaymen?

Bumblebee or nvidia prime?

just usb 3.0 and hd 4000 graphics alone make it worth the upgrade. and they even go for the same price sometimes.

Mostly paradox games, HoI 4, Europa and the such.

Gee, both of those features really come in handy for shitposting.

As a man with an income, I own both and use my x220 much more often because I type a lot of test procedures and, occasionally, shitpost.

>Sup Forums still recommending the T420 which has the worst display ever made

lol

On the other hand, the IPS display in my X230 is fantastic.

>1366x768
Sad!

How autistic are you willing to be about other people's selection of old enterprise laptops?

just wondering, are you the same dude that shat on every single XX20-related post for the entirety of december while bragging about the $100 X230 you found on ebay?

>1366x768 pixels

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias

1600x900 is still pretty garbage.

I have no issues with the X220. They're available with an IPS screen, I just found an undamaged X230 easier to obtain. Do appreciate the USB3 too.

Did I do good?

>lives in Australia
Instant failure.

what are the best specs for T60 or T60 frankenpad?

i9 with 64gb of ram
IPS of course

just got my refurbish T440 today
oh god I though you guys were only memeing about the touchpad

ok so do I just get the T450 one to replace it?

Is an x230 for $230 an OK real?

Yes you fool. Also get a 1080p IPS display in there you pleb, model is B140HAN01.3

Hey, was wanting to buy this laptop on ebay.

It's a refurbished Carbon x1, any idea if it's good or not?

>Carbon
i5 3rd gen btw

Just get an x220

in NA, not really. maybe if it's got i7/ips/8gb already in there

under $150 USD is really what the average off-lease i5/tn/4gb should be going for

yeah just saw that you can't upgrade the 4GB ram that is included...dealbreaker

I just read around about the replacement touchpad
and it seem many of them online are from third party chink company it instead of Levono themselves

are there any specific brand I should avoid?
its only $30-40 but still I dont really want to take the laptop apart more than I need to

I had the i7 in an x220, and now have the i7 in an x230, I can say that there's less heat and it is noticeably less power hungry, but in terms of performance I imagine its the standard ~10% effective increase though.

Main plus points are resistance to temp. throttling and HD3000 -> HD4000 (which is capable of playing modern games.)

lol

when buying an x220, is it worth it to go for a x230? I have a lot of money and would rather not skimp too much, but not sure if it's worth it. Also, when buying an x220, anything I should watch out for such as ram/cpu models? will probably buy one with an HDD and upgrade to an SSD if I feel like it later on.

Yes, just transplant the superior x220 keyboard into the x230 if you do get one. The x230 runs cooler and offers superior battery life and graphics performance.

Thanks for response. I see that a keyboard will cost me about $40, so that is something to consider.

Does anybody have the usb thinkpad style keyboard with trackpoint? Does it feel like a t430 keyboard or like the new shitty lenovo keyboards?

Can I put an SSD and HDD in an x220 tablet?

Can you remove the gritty touch pad surface off of an x220?

If you buy SSD for PCIE, or expresscard yes

I dont think so, look at this
aliexpress.com/item/New-Original-Laptop-Touchpad-Cover-Trackpad-Cap-Mouse-Board-Shell-Lid-For-Lenovo-Thinkpad-X220-X220I/32723430533.html

There's not a damn thing wrong with the X230 keyboard. The trackpad is garbage but obviously you'll be using the trackpoint.

Has anyone with the X230 had it randomly turn off before, as if someone had removed the battery btw? Mine did this a bunch of times after I purchased it but with more regular use has gone away. Almost seems like some kind of random static error... or something.

As far as I can tell, the NVS4200 is about twice as powerful as the HD3000?

Twice as powerful as shit is still shit but it's something, it should turn your 720p low detail gaming from 15fps to 30fps.

>The trackpad is garbage
Has there ever been a good thinkpad trackpad, or did the Macbook bring that to the market?