Windows 10 upgrade

should i do it?

microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade

what does Sup Forums think of windows 10

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/2016/1/16/10780876/microsoft-windows-support-policy-new-processors-skylake
pcworld.com/article/3112663/software/microsoft-made-em-do-it-the-latest-kaby-lake-zen-chips-will-support-only-windows-10.html
makeuseof.com/tag/windows-7-wont-work-intels-current-next-gen-cpus/
youtube.com/watch?v=WMd3amc9UoQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Honestly speaking, Windows used to be so much better during the XP era. It's gotten worse over the time. 7 was a step in the right direction but windows 10 is an abomination.

NO control, NO configurability and definitely not stable or reliable.

Dont listen to autists, windows 10 ia a good OS.

>NO control, NO configurability and definitely not stable or reliable.
This is completely false and ridiculous

We have a saying in my country, I don't know how it would translate to english, but it's basically "if one says it and the others are clueless, they'll follow his lead"

that's what happened on Sup Forums with Windows 10

It's a good OS, and better than all previous windows.

This. I think Sup Forums has completely scared me on pretty much everything out there to the point that if I listened I would have to never use a computer again.

>People on Sup Forums STILL using Windows 10

This. I use W10 pro (could be why). I have the data report turned off and I haven't had a single or problem.

One person on Sup Forums cried botnet one day and the rest is history.

But you are being watched! The telemetry buttons are placebo! Turning off updates is a placebo! Getting Pro is a placebo! Getting Enterprise is a placebo! Getting Enterprise-N is a placebo! Getting Server 2016 is a placebo! Getting Windows 8.1 is a placebo! Getting Windows 7 is a placebo, spying's been there for years! Getting Windows is a placebo, only Linux is safe! Getting Ubuntu is a placebo! Getting Linux Mint is a placebo. No, you need a hardcore install that will be frustrating to work with.

I bet one day you will come crying about how your W10 system messed up and we at Sup Forums will proudly gloat at how you should have gotten a Debian. Then you would mention games and we would call you a manchild and to go to Sup Forums. Then you might mention your software and we will bash it for being proprietary.

I guess what I am trying to say is that your average person on Sup Forums (or should I say the loudest ones) has gotten quite predictable. Expect someone to comment on your sexuality or otherwise spew insults in this thread too. Don't like it? Then get out of Sup Forums, that is their motto at least.

Ah sweet denial, so let's go through it

>NO control
Unless you are fucking with the autism maze GPEdit minesweep there is not way to turn of updates or telemetry.

>NO configurability
Try changing your fonts.
I know I can in XP.

Butthurt Sup Forums fanboys and windows apologists ruined Sup Forums.

I will have you know I am actually more accepted and treated better here than on Sup Forums.

If you are into microblogs I highly suggest you to go to twitter where you think people cares about you

I will have you know Twitter has some of the most toxic people ever, ranking only higher than the scum of Facebook. I am not very popular, but on Sup Forums I am treated better than by anyone else.

>what does Sup Forums think of windows 10
Garbage

How is it that every time I think I have seen every bug in Windows 10, Sup Forums finds a new one?

Windows 10 is un-ironically the biggest botnet. Windows introduced malware into the update system, forced computers to update to 8 and 10 without permission, and plugged in all kinds of telemetry services to spy on you.
Windows 10 updates when windows 10 wants to. You have no option to review and select updates, and choose when to update. Your computer will automatically download and install any update when it wants to with no choice.

Windows 7 is the last good windows OS. Because it's stable, good interface, no broken panels fighting over desktop vs "App" themes, and you can get SP! and strip out all the spyware/botned updates.
Other than that some Linus OS are tolerable but still not as good UI as windows, and less quality software support so you need a VM or wine for the small ammount of good programs that will actually run decently in it.

There is no great desktop OS currently. Maybe Linux can up their Desktop/UI game. SJW's did a number on it by almost bankrupting Gnome. Maybe they will get back on track in the great year of 2017. It's time to make the desktop safe again. Time to make the desktop free again. Time to make the desktop GREAT again.

Wait, what is wrong with Windows 8.1 if you use classic shell and kill all the apps?

Don't forget the endless amount of bugs in windows today.

This is what you get when you hack together OS and sell it with a new theme.

Why not just ignore Settings entirely and just use the Control Panel? Am I missing something here?

Yes. Under network IPv4 adapter settings for VPN's there are missing/broken non-functioning dialogs that can only be accessed by using powershell commands. It's a fucking sad mess.

Yes. Pretending the problem does not exist and ignoring it is not a fix, that's a behaviour of an apologist.

TIL Sup Forums is not just a board for Gentoo.

>bug
worse, it's there by design

It's so fucking expensive now.

Problem? Isn't it just another choice, like another UI for people to use? I don't like tablet UIs, but I don't need to use the tablet UI.

>people pay for this

Some features are only accessible in Settings "App". Some in both. Some in neither. It's and inconsistent mess.

Linux already has a better command line, so if you start telling me to use powershell for everything then windows is a shittier less stable linux OS. The only thing windows had going for it was popularity, corporate because Active Directory & Domain controllers are amazing for managing LOADS of workstations, and a good friendly UI. Windows 10 shit all over privacy and user respect and only gives minor respect back to corporate with enterprise OS that has most of the bullshit cut out of it, but still enough to piss me off.

Windows has proceeded to shit all over their users for 2 OS's in a row. I'm using 7 until support is dropped then i'll worry about what to do next after that.

If I wanted a tablet UI, I would not download a desktop OS.

Your "explanation" does not make a sense, by your logic there should be two file explorers - one optimized for tablet interface.

Microsoft got so insecure that they made intel/amd to make their new CPUs incompatible

don't upgrade on older hardware
they force updates without making it compatible with older shit which makes system very unstable
I have roughly 15 bsods per day since one major update around September, went back to 7 after making sure it's not faulty hardware and doing clean install first

built in telemetry. I believe windows even started ignoring the hosts file for telemetry ip's and hostnames.
So unless you configure blocks on your router they are spying on you. They don't give a fuck about your privacy or your settings. Don't remember if 8 allows you to pick which updates to install and when to do it or not either. They don't respect you as a user anymore you are lumped in with the retard userbase who don't care about privacy or control over their PC.

Fear mongering, they are still compatible.

It's definitely not as bad as people make it seem. It's kind of good. But overall i preferred XP and 7. It just seems a bit gimmicky with Cortana and all

Literally not true.

Windows 8 doesn't have forced updates, it acts much like Windows 7 in that regard. But why did we never have any controversy over Windows 8 telemetry? That only got hyped with Windows 10.

theverge.com/2016/1/16/10780876/microsoft-windows-support-policy-new-processors-skylake
pcworld.com/article/3112663/software/microsoft-made-em-do-it-the-latest-kaby-lake-zen-chips-will-support-only-windows-10.html
makeuseof.com/tag/windows-7-wont-work-intels-current-next-gen-cpus/

>n-not true
embarrassing

Show me in your UI where you choose which updates to install and when to install them, and when to restart your PC after updates.
If there is no "Notify me when updates are available but let me choose which and when to install them" then you have no control over updating.

Show me your telemetry settings that only goes down to medium.

Yeah, so much control over the OS.

youtube.com/watch?v=WMd3amc9UoQ - This has been proven as media hype. Kaby Lake works fine, it just isn't "supported" which means everyone believes it doesn't work.

prob because people were too busy complaining about 8's shitty UI it got slighted. OR maybe it didn't come til later. Once they rolled out 10's mega invasive botnet they just patched 7 and 8 to support it.

If you update 7 to latest updates you have the same telemetry as 10. I can only believe that updating 8 to the max does the same. so IDK. I hate 8's UI anyway so I don't really bother to differentiate 10 fro 8.

What part of "Microsoft (((says))) new processors will only work with Windows 10" do you fail to understand?

Furthermore nice USB controller support, sure convinced me

Classic Shell is the answer. It allows you to hide all of the junk versions of apps, which you never need to use by the way, and keep the Win32 stuff. It isn't needed at the moment, but it does support modern technology as well as 10 with as much privacy as you would get on 7.

Not that guy, I use Windows 10 and it is actually very unreliable and unstable. The updates they send upstream are untested and you're the beta tester.

The only way to make Windows 10 work is to never update it.

Microsoft says they are not supporting, not that they don't work, there is a big difference.

Windows 8 supports USB 3.0. Inject 3.0 into Windows 7 and it works fine as well.

doesn't do anything about telemetry botnet. So yeah your shell is better but you still have 0 privacy.
Call me old fashined but I wouldn't take a shower in a glass house.

>Source:my ass
Also, this means new USB controller and device drivers are is not coming to windows 7/8.1. Ever.

Should I use Windows Server 2016 as desktop OS, Sup Forums?

Linux is the answer. Those fucking autistic neckbeards were actually right about freedom. I already loaded my Windows 10 only laptop with linux and everything on it works.

Absolutely fucking not. I have never had to help people with so many Windows related issues before 10 came out. And the majority of these are on fresh builds, not grandpa Jim who's got 300 viruses from internet ineptitude. Not to mention program incompatibility and oddities that have shown up

Except that the only telemetry is if you fully update. Which is what you would get on 7. What difference is there in regards to privacy? Since when has 8.1 when a botnet if 7 is not?

>I don't know how it would translate to english
Which dialect of Hindu is it in? I might be able to help you

So we don't get USB 3.1. There isn't a big difference from that to USB 3.0.

>Making false claims.
Absolutely Jewish

>few years later
>w-what's the big difference from that to USB4

then how do you explain the fact that I formatted, installed 10 again and after updating bsods started happening again?
then I went back to 7 and it runs flawlessly

laptop is msi s30 I got for free roughly 2 years ago
even funnier because that tool that checks if the rig is OK to upgrade to 10 said it's OK

Ah I see what you meant mate. Yeah I tried messing with programs to revive start menu and stuff on 8 before but meh just wasn't for me.
glad it works for you.

No. It sucks. It's not a "personal" OS. Might as well use chromeOS.

Windows 8 also has USB 3.1, so what is the problem again?

Yeah, it is a bit of a pain to set everything up. Some people definitely will prefer things to work better out of box. I guess my problem with 10 is that even if I go all out, it still is pointless apparently.

"[Windows 10] is a bit of an improvement over Windows 8 - but anything would be. However, if you still have Windows 7 then hang on to it for dear life."

>Which dialect of Hindu is it in?

if those fuckers actually respected my privacy I would even pay them more then it cost.