DIY UMPC 100% DOABLE

Hello Sup Forums!
Some of you are enthusiasts for palmtops and portable computers. But these are no good times for you - portable computers were killed by smartphones and tablets. The market for normals does not deliver for you. But together we can change that, build our very own.

Please, have a look at pic related.

It's a barebone UMPC - you insert a smartphone of your CHOICE into the lid - connect it to the USB and audio loop-through, and presto, you can enjoy some comfy UMPC feels. A passepartout, customized to your screen real estate, will make it look like a finished product. The body of the UMPC can be split into two stages, depending on YOUR NEEDS.

This design is 100% DOABLE. It will be free (as in free speech). And YOU can JOIN. Feel free to post your suggestions. Please!

In case you use Stage I on it's own, the smartphone will power Stage I. If you decide to use Stage II, the integrated powerbank will power your phone and Stage I until it's depletet to about 10% - then it will power only Stage I, for increased UMPC fun-time.

A limited production run will be done - after community input, after polishing the design - if there are enough interested people - relying heavily on available chinese hardware, user-friendly microcontrollers, my engineering degree and modern prototyping services.

Also, I have a need for some input regarding the keyboard: What kind of layout would you wish? What kind of key mechanic would be optimal for this size? Micro-switches, or a custom rubber-dome (which would be no problem to produce!)?

If there is enough feedback, there will be a mockup in about a week.

Please, do a post, reply. I'll be happy for your input.

Reminder: this is doable, because the barebone design circumvents 78% of the associated problems of building your own UMPC.

Bump

Already page 4...

WTF Sup Forums hates UMPCs now?

wtf!! I hate UMPC now!

No, we just hate your shitty idea.
It's not a UMPC, it's just a shitty, bulky smartphone case.

Not to mention there is literally no point having a keyboard on a touchscreen device that small. All it does is waste space.

Nice same-faggin'

I'm not samefaggint you are just a dumbfuck.
You don't need a headphone jack or usb jack, lots of phones don't support usb-otg, bluetooth would be better, and if you do that there is too much latency to make it usable for games.

So, yeah, shit idea fuck off.

Thanks for the bump, master ruse-man. One (you) for you.

Last bump

I dunno... For me the entire point of a umpc would be to have a mobile device with proper privacy and security. Aka a floss distro

I mean it looks cool, but all i'm seeing here is a physical keyboard and trackpoint in a shell. The main reason for umpc's is (in my eyes) to run windows on x86 processors in a compact setting. This doesnt accomplish that.

>portable computers
yeah, so just use a regular laptop. there are plenty of those.

Why not back the greatest UMPC ever built: the Dragonbox Pyra

Jesus christ almost 2" thick fully upgraded? Isnt the point of this to be small? My two laptops stacked on top of eachother aren't even 2" thick.

Whats the cpu arch on this btw? Too lazy to look it up.

Single-core 533MHz Via Nano.

You lie

It's uses an upgradable socketed CPU board, at first it will ship with an ARM dual core 1.5Ghz Cortex-A15

GPD Win.

Faggot.

I have a GPD win, so I don't care.
If it's 100% doable, then do it, who cares if we approve?
There are thousands of people who've had the exact same idea as you, but none have fucking done it. Most haven't gotten further than the sketch.
So if you actually wanna, just do it.

Mad no one liked your shit idea OP?

Does this thing even support teledildonics?

its called the padfone x