What are the uses of a computer with a 300MB hard drive?

What are the uses of a computer with a 300MB hard drive?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mSHUIEDBbl4
youtube.com/watch?v=OlHt7XW0QR8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

door stop

door stop

Storing up to 300 MB of data

Storing information.

the sky's the limit!

>18:32:47
>18:32:47

how?

>916▶
>
The power of the memes

Thin client

Bad DBAs.

did you anticipate this magic, OP?

yes(no)

Lotus 1-2-3 (for any year except 1900)

hive mind

nice

Hivemind

door stop

You can fit quite a lot of software in 300MB. Even today.

door stuck

fish eggs

Storage server for that section of your storage cloud that deals with demoscene productions.

Thats a lot of 4k, 8k and even 64k art, right there.

mind hive

install gentoo

A 720p anime episode.

wew

jinx, now kys

throw away the disc platters
use the plastic case to transport delicious cake

storing and manipulating data that can be represented as 300 million bits faster and more consistently than a human can

Cum box

Botnets

Pretty sure Gentoo needs at least a gigabyte of disk.

>300 million bits
you tried

whoops
2.4 billion bits*

Some dedicated application unit, I sometime think about getting a cheap computer just for writting books or other small projects.

I think the amount of RAM is a bigger factor.

I have used systems with 500MB of hard drive, but often end up needing 300MB of RAM as I don't use CLI or TUI enought, GUI is a memory hog.

the fuck were you running on a system with a 500MB disk that needed 300+ MB of RAM?

even 128MB can put up with a decent amount of punishment as long as you aren't retarded about it

Museum exhibit.

GUI

hes a retard

Everything, and it technically only needs 215MB, but got a real speed boost at 280MB as it stops using the hard drive at that point completely, so I just rounded rather then going into the details. Most of that goes to the GUI as there is no GPU. I can run it as low as 90MB for simple stuff or 110MB when doing my work in CLI.

there are plenty of window managers that won't use 300+ fucking megabytes, god knows what bloated shit he's using
that's pretty disgusting and you should probably take a look at your software stack
or just use an operating system it was actually made to run competently instead of using a bloated ass GNU/Linux distro that can barely run a WordPad equivalent on hardware that old without eating shit

weight press

Dos 1.1 and some txt files you can get a very large data base of names

most of these where used in banks so the txt files would be notes on customers etc.

DOS didn't even support hard disks until 2.x

and banks used mainframes

Does it have a usb port?
I been trying to get something like that to work for a few specific things, a ram drive with a lightweight linux distro will eat up maybe half or so of the memory but I been configuring mine to save to the livedrive. It'll probably run out of ram and die eventually but for just surfing the net, saving text files or some small images to the stick and what not it leaves the rest of the actual computer memory freed up to do what ram does. Plus can play around a bit with BASIC was going to test that.
If you're not gaming or editing photos most computers really don't need a lot of memory, seems like a cheap set up for an internet connection and to maybe learn or practice some stuff. Not like any of us are typically doing anything important or even complex with computers let alone using most of the functions on decent ones.

Database.
Assuming we use Java, that's 72 mb.
Then we can use Derby as our RDBMS, that's 4mb. (JDBC driver + implementation)
Which runs on top of tinycore, which clocks in at 86 mb.

That's 162mb of disk space used, leaving us with 148 mb left.

That's plenty of space for a smaller database.

You mean USE mainframes.

It depends on the amount of ram and type of processor, also.

Use it as a LAN DNS server.

Load it up with DOS and play some Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and BioMenace.

Throw it at someone you really don't like and listen to the satisfying 'thunk' it makes on impact with their head.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Meme magic

Gotta go through the door man, can't make it, can't make it

there were special laundromats where you could clean those disks,
because they get dirty when you use them as door stops

When you can have a 256GB Micro SD, what's the point?

Temple OS

All that and its probably like 8GB

Land on Mars ? (the LEM computer, used to land on the moon had something like 12 Kb and no hard drive). No high level programing langage, only pure machine code...

>imblying not bodneddz :DD

door start

Install gentoo

youtube.com/watch?v=mSHUIEDBbl4

If they're using 300 MB disk packs just the 6 rows of ~13 in the picture would be around 23 GB.

Nothing really to shit on for the '70s or even '80s, that's still plenty of capacity to store a lot of data and solve a lot of problems.

Hivememenets

youtube.com/watch?v=OlHt7XW0QR8

Most mainframes used tape. Much denser storage and much cheaper than disk.
The only advantage of disk was speed.
If a tape crashed or was damaged you could still use the tape.
Try doing that with a head-crashed disk.

Can that setup stream a single BD rip?

Obviously not, they were built for processing information, not dicking around.