Can you really learn a new language with this shit, I want to learn French. any tips or other free resources?

can you really learn a new language with this shit, I want to learn French. any tips or other free resources?

Other urls found in this thread:

duolingo.com/course/tlh/en/Learn-Klingon-Online
m.imgur.com/a/aSFTC
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You can learn anything if you really want it. If you don't want it and you're easily distracted then you won't learn anything in any situation.

I watched a lot of French movies and did duolingo once. I learned basically nothing because I was distracted by playing video games.

>they stil haven't implemented Japanese because they can't figure out how to deal with word breaks

80% of their engineering staff has a PhD, so I'm sure they will figure something out eventually.
They're working on Korean and Klingon, so Japanese can't be too far behind.

There are success stories on reddit. The standard recommendation is still Assimil though.

>They're working on Korean and Klingon

I actually learned some German with this its very constructive.

duolingo.com/course/tlh/en/Learn-Klingon-Online

don't ask here, it's free just try it m8
the fact that you're asking means you procrastinate, it probably won't work for you

it teaches you as well as you're willing to learn from it. it's only a tool

t. learning german and portugese. started a month ago and haven't missed a day yet

*portuguese

fug

Memrise has Nip.

Yes, combined with other resources like a flashcard/srs program for vocabulary and a textbook for grammar

日本に興味のない人はこのサイトから去ればよい

the thing is I started it but I already have some foundation in French. so the stuff seemed rly useless to me, and it seemed like it was teaching through repetition rather than true learning.

ill try it again from the bottom and get into it more

One of my roommates learned a big chunk of Russian, nearly fluent in Spanish, and is just casually playing around with German and Punjabi for fun and work, it's pretty dope but then again she also read a ton of books as well, mostly on slang.

How is this Sup Forums related?
Take your faggot ass to Sup Forums

It's a good supplement. I'm trying to learn moonrunes and it's a helpful resource, but a good book with a coherent direction is going to be your heaviest hitter.

Memrise is a vocabulary learning platform, not a language learning one.

>80% of their engineering staff has a PhD, so I'm sure they will figure something out eventually.
>They're working on Korean and Klingon, so Japanese can't be too far behind.

duolingo's fucking garbage. you're just doing translations for them for free.

translation-based language learning is the worst method of them all.

>I'm trying to learn [Japanese] and [Duolingo]'s a helpful resource
what even
are you saying

I went through and finished their Spanish tree to 100% and have maintained it for 833 days in a row. I think it's complete shit but I don't want to break my streak so I do a review lesson each morning.
Their algorithm is complete shit. It seems like it resets the easy lessons just as fast as the more advanced ones so after a couple hundred days I'm only back to ~25% complete although I have access to all lessons -- I'm lazy and would prefer the program to select my lesson for the day.

>not a language learning one.
As if Duolingo would be any better? Just read a grammar guide (Tae Kim, JtMW, etc) and start reading while mining words and using Anki to help maintain vocabulary.

After you finish the course and know most of the stuff start learning with other tools because only Duolingo is not enough.

spent 3 months on Duolingo. it was wasted. you won't learn how to speak a language at all. don't waste your time on it. there's much better ways to learn a language.

like what?

Go to /t/, find language learning resources torrents. Download, use, learn.

like said, go download things that teach you phrases and vocal pronunciations well.

I spent 3 months learning spanish on duolingo because I was going to Argentina to travel the country and Duolingo didn't help much at all. A buddy of mine who spent 2 months with a spanish teacher was about 10x better than me.

also, rosetta stone is a fucking scam. spent few months with that learning Japanese. again, failed miserably. finally after trying some of the courses like Pimsleur was I able to speak Japanese.

Duolingo's method of teaching languages is horrible. you won't hear any language guy on YT recommend it.

Maybe you should just git good?

I would just say a textbook, like they use in high schools. Each chapter my Japanese one had vocab lists, then explanations of grammar, and then reading practice to consolidate it, and Duolingo really doesn't do anything useful like that; just try and memorise phrases and words without explanation or context.

>can you really learn a new language with this shit,
Some basics yes, the whole language no.

There is no one method or resource to learn a language. It's a long-term process.

>Implementing Klingon before Japanese
I'm butthurt.

>teaching through repetition rather than true learning
Whut? Implying repetition is not the mother of all learning. Implying you learn everything magically by encountering or doing it once. You become the best figure skater in the world by skating once. You become a great runner by running once. You become a good C programmer by programming in C once. You learn a word thoroughly by encountering it once. You acquire Aristotle's thinking skills by reading a book by Aristotle once. Etc. What is this "true learning" you're talking about that doesn't involve huge amounts of repetition? Mind you, whether the repetition is "natural" or scheduled is irrelevant. All learning requires repetition.

Japanese is a meme language only weebs care about anyway.

I kinda wish they had Mandarin though because I intend to attend grad school on electrical engineering in either Singapore or Beijing.

tech development capital of the world

>meme language

yeah okay

>Tech development capital of the world
>He still thinks it's the 80s

m.imgur.com/a/aSFTC

>french

Oh boy someone learning my language!
Is English your native language? If so, here's a few things to note:

French is more grammatically demanding than english: there's more rules, more tenses, and generally more precision. This means that reading in french is a must: you'll find it way easier to connect the dots and understand the organisation of the language by reading, because a lot of things are not pronounced or highlighted in verbal french.

The majority of french speakers online are bound to make mistakes occasionally, especially the /quebec/ois, as their literature courses are shit.

French is fun because of its precision and versatility, so if you are into languages that's good, however it does make it tougher than other roman languages. That being said, I've found my bilingualism comes quite handy for jobs (I've worked both in Yurop and in Canada), as the french tech world is in need of english speakers. Do note however that the majority of my colleagues who found jobs in the US barely end up using french, except to deal with the occasional french clients if they work in cloud computing.

If you are into literature (I realise the majority of Sup Forums isn't but whatever) the french are one of the few (if only) who place(d) literature at the center of their destiny: it is most often books which have changed the culture and values of our country, and hence french writers have produced some fascinating stuff. Depending on what topic you are into I can recommend you some basic/intro level quality books.

For example, a fun book that is quite small but has a nice range of vocabulary whilst being enjoyable is Les Fables de La Fontaine, a set of tales that kids use to learn to read and stuff. They're each a page or two long, and served to criticise the king and society in general at the time, told through anthropomorphic animals.

By verbal french I mean spoken french