Piracy of textbooks

Talking about technology with my doctor he said that one of the things that pissed him off is the people pirating textbooks because they are enjoying of the work and guts of others. He argues that most of them don't even graduate because what is free is worthless, they end not studying. He said that in the future, specially now with Trump, some things will change and the govt. will start a war against copyright infringement, not only uploaders will be arrested but downloaders too because they already have some big database of pirates from various p2p swarms for example.

Can it really happen Everybody will be sued, one by one?

Why is the academic circle so anti-piracy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g-sgw9bPV4A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump

academics i know are chasing after these sweet academic (you)s while being paid baseline salaries from universities so they don't care about their papers being pirated
textbooks are differents but they usually are expensive as fuck so whatever

>academics i know are chasing after these sweet academic (you)s

Can you explain this point?

Having your papers cited in other papers means peer recognition

They aren't. Many are really pissed off at the journals profiting from their works and in some cases even forbidding them to pre-print: that's why Sci-hub exists.

Some professors of course are dicks that co-wrote their course textbook. Many of those wouldn't be a fan of PDF, but many of those rage at ex-students selling the course textbooks second-hand to this year's students too, and some even try to revise them every year to prevent this.

The rest of your post is a matter for /sci/ and Sup Forums, not Sup Forums. There have already been actions against several private torrent sites. There are, however, often practical difficulties in taking wider action, even if one or more countries wanted to.

Nobody collects forensically reliable data on P2P downloaders, they only try to do so for uploaders (by downloading from them). One reason for this is that the P2P networks themselves are not forensically reliable when directing swarms - for example Bittorrent trackers are continuously seeded with false IP addresses, both to deter anyone using them as a reliable source and also by anti-P2P companies trying to disrupt the swarms.

One of the only methods to perform such measurements reliably on a downloader is to be the uploader. However, this has a bit of a problem.

Look up "Prenda Law" for the last people who tried uploading something which they owned the copyright to and then tried to sue people for downloading it. It ended EXTREMELY badly for them - not only did they have some hilariously bad court rulings against them, they are now under Federal indictment, with criminal charges including extortion having been filed. They are, in a word, fucked. I don't suggest copying their tactics.

Such a crackdown would drive piracy even further underground, not only to more private sites but also to practical anonymous P2P networks now coming over the horizon. See the paper "The Darknet and the Future of Content Distribution" for a prescient take on the matter.

Why does it matter

I rarely even look at my text except for homework problems

>He argues that most of them don't even graduate because what is free is worthless, they end not studying
>paying for books is the only way to get smarter
>Trump voter
Makes sense

If you went to community college, you'd know that book companies make "custom" editions that is just a slightly modified version of the older version and slap a different ISBN and is required by professors. The facility and instructors get free copies and study/teaching guides and they pass off the costs to students and make a killing.

not op but any way to keep up with publications you could recommend ? i'm no researchfag but some papers are interesting or sometimes have neat algorithms to implement

>Can it really happen Everybody will be sued, one by one?
Could, but good luck with that effort.

It'll step on the feet of too many AND the wrong people and just go away. Or end in bloodshed.

>Why is the academic circle so anti-piracy?
"It" is generally not, though of course people there are often obsessed with getting reputation and citations for THEIR work.

But you need to understand academia is an usually self governed asylum run by often mildly to quite insane people. They have fucking weird persectives on life and how their underlings or they themselves should perform and they are usually your boss. Just ignore it all and do your work unless you intend to spend a career there. In which case you probably start kissing ass now...

does anyone have a copy of this? need it for work.

>Why is the academic circle so anti-piracy?
Congrats on being on a shit college.

hello my fellow rato

Remix culture motherfucker youtube.com/watch?v=g-sgw9bPV4A

Tell you what, college. If you can
1. make the textbooks' price actually reflect the content
2. make them worth buying (as opposed to learning the same content for free online)
3. make the professors actually fucking use the textbooks they say they're going to use
then we'll stop pirating them.

>Charges £80 for a sub par book on C algorithms
>Can get the current, or at the very least the previous edition, as a pdf from the first Google result.

I've made a point in the past to buy a good book, that's a good price, from a good author.
However, if you're none of these and your books more than £30, why the fuck would I pay when the books available for free?

The problem is mediocre writers charging excessive amounts because they're greedy cunts focusing on the money and not the distribution of knowledge.

Is your doctor a jew?

I have a 3.8 GPA as a senior in a biochem major and I've never bought a single textbook.
Tell your professor to go fuck himself if hey really wants that commission from mcgrawhill

>download textbook free from libgen
>print it out for free on that one copier students agent supposed to use

LOCK ME UP AND THROW AWAY THE KEY AHAHAHAHAHA

>seeded with false IP addresses
Source? Has this ever successfully been used in court?

There was a study where a university put their IP in a swarm but never uploaded anything. They still received hundreds of copyright notices.

>TFW no history textbooks on libgen
Kill me now

It's true. Opentracker does this. Also, torrents with high seed counts are usually traps set by copyright enforcers

>He said that in the future
I say in the future university will sparsely resemble its current state.

>people pirating textbooks because they are enjoying of the work and guts of others
>argues that most of them don't even graduate because what is free is worthless, they end not studying

Maybe if textbook publishers didn't charge obscene prices for something many classes barely use, then people wouldn't be incentivized to pirate them.

what the fuck is OP's pic? WOmbat?

hello rato
my old friend