What is Sup Forums's opinion on coding boot camps? Worthless? Revolutionary?

What is Sup Forums's opinion on coding boot camps? Worthless? Revolutionary?

Effort to devaluate the programming career by churning out codemonkeys who dont know shit, and who have way lower expectation for salaries.

what do these coding boot camps teach? im studying at an university and i would never learn the knowledge of math/data structures/algorithms i do there in my spare time.
guess they are probably teaching basic programming courses like python and webdev stuff?

most of them focus on web development it seems

Scams.

couldn't you just grab a book and follow some youtube tutorials to learn that stuff?

most definitely. I don't even think they try to say they're any different from what you can do at home, just that they condense it down and force you to do it

Coding camps are less about the code and more about making connections
I got my current job from an instructor of a coding camp I went to and impressed him

does a great job of flooding the workforce with minimally qualified ((((coders)))) to drive wages down

A CompSci or CompEngr degree lacks the licensing and self-regulation that a Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Industrial, Mechanical, or Nuclear Engineer has.

I personally found the computer industry's self-certification programs, Cisco, Microsoft, Oracle, .... , to be only slightly better than giving a new hire a week to read some manuals.

The trend I saw before retiring was that new, regular hires, came from new grad/post-doc students that came from prestigious schools that the company regularly hired from. Non-Ph.D positions were replaced with positions that were filled by contracting companies. Those contracting companies used unsophisticated methods to create exaggerated resume databases. The best contract employees were hoping to be hired as regular employees, but that almost never happened, so they hop from one consulting company to another, their only hope for salary advancement being project management (or sales) for the consulting company.

/thread

I feel like the guy that always shows up at the end of the party and there is cold stale pizza and everyone's gone.

I kind of want to shoot myself in the face for not seeing this coming sooner.

I can't really comment on that topic exactly, but only peripherally as someone who was momentarily intrigued by the idea of attending a code camp. I have a background in pure mathematics, so I thought it'd be good for someone like me to go into coding since that was what I was supposed to do with a math degree.

Overall, I just said fuck it and grabbed a few books/notes from recommendations and websites, and started churning out code, working on projects, meeting with other budding/current software engineers, etc. After about eight months of practicing and doing some coding interview questions, I sent my resume out. I was hired on my third interview and voila.

For any budding coder, just know what you want and build a solid reputation in one (or two) main languages. It's what worked for me. I call them the ''parent'' languages, where every other language is considered an offspring language. C/C++ and Java are my "parent" languages, but I've often been in situation where I've had to write code in Python, Javascript, Scala, etc.

>Coding bootcamp
Daycare for adults

They are good for generating cheap monkey coders.

College is basically the same shit but engineers are better in topics that require a little bit more knowledge like database design and software design in general.

The real godtier are drop-outs with rich independent projects in github.

(((revolutionary))) if youre part of the marx cult

worthless if youre not

That's not true for comp. Eng. It is ABET accredited.

Either boot camps or degrees will start being worthwhile once companies start saying "we will sign a contract guaranteeing that we will hire anyone who gets X% or better in this class"

if anything it's normalizing to any field with no proper bar or credentialing. everyone can try it, some get hired, some never get hired, the best never have trouble finding work. it's like lawyers, sales, or finance now.

If you want to work in web dev, the best way to go is self-taught. Looks best on a resume.

The second best way is a bootcamp. Basically you do this if you have money to burn and can't be bothered to keep yourself focused.

The worst way is to get a degree. Waste of money, takes forever, least attractive on a resume because everybody knows traditional schools don't teach web dev.

>2 internships during high school
Still can't get an interview

This is accurate. Anyone can pick it up and give it a shot.
The best will always have a good understanding of what's actually happening. Most will fail and some can squeeze by.

I am not convinced. I think that sounds too much like hubris, especially when you look at global trends (not just in big US tech cities).

The real annoying shit is that this drive for """diversity"""" doesn't actually give you any more good female employees. It just gets you more marxist feminist female employees who will screech autistically over everything everyone does.

Normal women want nothing to do with that shit either.

What do you mean? You can, right now, go to codecademy and learn how to program.
Anyone can do it. And obviously the best will always be able to land jobs because they're the best in their field, have networked, and know how to land jobs.

What are you not getting?

>boot camps are just fucking memes

So, I'll start from telling you, that I'm from Ukraine, where average salary of IT engineer is ~$1k, and others get ~150$. Everyone wants to be a code-monkey here, so we have a lot of bootcamps, some of them have duration of a week (7 days) and still are pretty popular. No one cares about stupid biogarbage that can't get these knowledge w/o being enrolled in bootcamps, so that's just a business, if you want to learn, you'll do it by yourself, if not, no one will be able to teach you.
Because of abundance of bootcamps IT here is shit, Ukraine become second India, with even worse programmers finished 7-days """intensive trainings" programme. Everyone hates stupid code-monkeys, we even have a pretty popular website about that –– ebanoe.it.
Don't become like us.

I'm attending one. We mainly learn C and *nix system. No math or physics. It's not a computer science degree replacement.

>That's not true for comp. Eng. It is ABET accredited.

I was going to reply with this, but does it really matter if a comp e is ABET certified? That seems to be something for people who work on gov't/civilian projects/utilities. I can see why it would be good for EE and ME, but I'm lacking the imagination where a comp e person would be working on such projects.

"Coding" is over. It was a fad for Starbucks-drinkers. For ~2 years, it has been very hip and fashionable to go to a "coding bootcamp" and take selfies with HTML. 2 years is enough time for anyone to figure out that this is a total and complete waste of time. This is why the Starbucks-drinkers themselves have recently started distancing themselves from coding bootcamps.

"Coding" is not programming. Anyone can code. A monkey can code. It takes mental effort to go from a useless "coder" to a genuine programmer, and Starbucks-drinkers are not capable of putting in mental effort that goes beyond drag-and-drop. Programming means taking the time to solve a particular problem. You cannot cut-and-paste or drag-and-drop a solution to a unique problem, so Starbucks-drinkers cannot program. Cut off their internet and a simple for loop will stump them, which is why the hilariously easy FizzBuzz test is so good at weeding out HTML-selfie-takers!

Coding is over. Coding bootcamps are over. Programming lives on. You want to learn programming? Stop taking HTML-selfies and pick up a programming book.

ok tripfag nobody gives a shit if you hate hipsters go pollute some other thread or find residence at the bottom of a lake or something

>You cannot cut-and-paste or drag-and-drop a solution to a unique problem

Oh but you can. If your problem is NP-Complete then you should be able to show a reduction a more well known problem and thus use that solution, copy and paste.
Else if it's not NP-Hard then you should be able to use an easy search, sort, or graph coloring solution.
So you're still copy and pasting.

>:^)

If you want to become a meme who doesn't know anything then sure, do one of those ridiculous bootcamps. If you want to learn a thing about coding, do CS. If you want to learn how to code and how computers actually work, do computer/electrical engineering. Thank me later.

>Stop taking HTML-selfies and pick up a programming book.
But my HTML actually serves data from an API endpoint for a highly distributed network of computers for which I'm also an admin of.

But selfies are stupid. I agree there.

And is your programming knowledge solely from "coding" bootcamps?

Also remember kids, a computer scientist is completely different from an engineer. The courses are different, the philosophy is different, they're trained in different ways and approach problems in different ways.

lel, I am a physicist and my father studied informatics.
He works as a software engineer for a huge company. Human resources department has been hiring physicists for software problems in the past and he claims they can't produce proper software.

I dont know if he is just making fun of physicists. Anyhow, I don't want to be a programmer.

Oh, never mind. I am just stupid and didn't read your post correctly.

I've thought that "coding bootcamp" is just an advert for programming clubs for middle schoolers to decide whether they want to do programming for the rest of their lives or not. At least in my country it is.
Americans are weird.

Going to college to learn programming is like going to college to learn driving or swimming.

Damn how low can they go?

Good opportunity for us Eastern Euros. Most companies here are outsourced from US and EU, the courses enable you to start working. It's not rocket science but the salary is almost double the national average. So you get trained in record time to do a job the market is in short supply. Better than wasting your time on a degree and you have something solid for your resume.