Ctrl c
Ctrl q
Esc
Ctrl q
Ctrl w
Google it
:q!
:q!

I fucking hate vim purely because of the first impression it left on me.

Seriously a text editor should be intuitive out of the box

Well you must be a fucking retard then, because any time you press Ctrl-C, Vim will warn you:

Type :quit to exit Vim

Well the developer must be a fucking retard then because instead of warning you it should just exit. HOly shit what a stupid function juxtaposed with how every other program works with linux

>being this stupid
Just spend a bit of time learning how to fucking use it, then maybe you'll understand the value in it.

:^)

nano MyDiary
Page Down
Dear Diary; today user was a fucking faggot and very rude. But you cant fix everyone and sometimes people will do everything in their power to be retarded.
Ctrl o
Ctrl x

ez pz

>having to learn something as basic as a text editor
only in linux

vim MyDiary
i
Dear Diary; today user was a fucking faggot and very rude. But you cant fix everyone and sometimes people will do everything in their power to be retarded.
Escape
:wq

ez pz

>having to fumble around in a shitty mouse-driven TEXT editor
only in windows

>having a massive registry catalog half of which allows data collection
>we formatted your drives and deleted partitions for your security
>entire music library deleted without any notification
>taking up half your bandwidth with data collection to "improve your windows experience"

Only in windows

Wouldn't want to google how a simple text editor works though

I still don't know why people bother with shit like vim and emacs when they can use gedit or nano.

kys

Get raped and kill yourself, you retarded fucking faggot sack of nigger shit with down syndrome.

ESC+:wq vs. click save and X to close

Powertools are very easy to use once you've learned them. A tool you're going to use for the rest of your life is a tool that is allowed to be a bit more difficult in the beginning if it's easier to use in the end.

>pedal
>pedal
>fall
I fucking hate bicycle purely because of the first impression it left on me.

Seriously transport should be intuitive out of the box

>penis in
>penis out
>penis in
>penis jizz

Sex is fucking bullshit. Lasted 7 sec my first time. Better stick to masturbation.

My current editor supports syntax highlight, braces matching, vertical selection, line numbers, regular expressions, and it's only 350kb. What tricks can you do in vim? Convince me to try it.

^D^D

>not using Emacs

>ESC:wq
>ESC
This is the biggest misconception/trolling about vim.
You don't type ESC before commands, normal mode is called "normal" because it's what you should be in most of the time.
And this is also why there are many ways to enter insert mode.

I love Vim as an editor, but yes, the first impression it leaves is garbage. Solution: one line encouraging new users to go through Vimtutor first, to keep them from trying Vim out on their own and getting frustrated.

This, my first impression was that I hated it. Then I got a job where I pretty much had to use vim and had went through vimtutor, and I'm now a vim convert.

you mean shift, right? ctrl+z sends SIGSTOP

> Vim is fucking shit.
Bait.

> Vim is god-teir
Bait.

> Everyone is flaming
Can't believe a fucking text editor is controversial

When I log into my Xenix system with my 110 baud teletype, both vi and Emacs are just too damn slow. They print useless messages like, ‘C-h for help’ and ‘“foo” File is read only’. So I use the editor that doesn't waste my VALUABLE time.
Computer Scientists love ed, not just because it comes first alphabetically, but because it's the standard. Everyone else loves ed because it's ED!

“Ed is the standard text editor.”

Of course, on the system I administrate, vi is symlinked to ed. Emacs has been replaced by a shell script which 1) Generates a syslog message at level LOG_EMERG; 2) reduces the user's disk quota by 100K; and 3) RUNS ED!!!!!!

Let's look at a typical novice's session with the mighty ed:
golem$ ed

?
help
?
?
?
quit
?
exit
?
bye
?
hello?
?
eat flaming death
?
^C
?
^C
?
^D
?

Note the consistent user interface and error reportage. Ed is generous enough to flag errors, yet prudent enough not to overwhelm the novice with verbosity.
Ed, the greatest WYGIWYG editor of all.