Which do you use?

Which do you use?

indent with tabs, align with spaces

I think tabs make more logical sense since they are more purposeful and take less keystrokes.

The only time that tabs suck is when dealing with data in tree structures (i.e. mostly HTML), but I think that speaks to HTML's weakness more than it speaks to the weakness of using tabs.

I switched to spaces though because it is trendy as fuck and I need to be a hipster (completely serious).

i use spaces but who fucking cares

Tabs require less key presses and memory, they are also customizable

>Tabs require less key presses
This isn't valid if you use any text editor more advanced than Notepad

Tabs can be converted to spaces. No-one actually presses space 4 times for each indentation in a newline.

You still have two other reasons.

at work: whatever code standard requires
on personal projects: who gives a shit

only freshmen CS students care about this btw

Tabs because I'm not mentally retarded.

Doesn't matter. I don't see whitespace, I don't type whitespace. My editor handles it all for me according to whatever style my current project/job demands.

Threadly reminder that if you say tabs require less key presses, you're a Notepad-using noob whose opinion is worthless.

Spaces all the way. Tabs are inconsistent.

Tabs, I wrote it into the safety related software standard here so now all the coders here have to do it for when we are audited.

>I think tabs make more logical sense since they are more purposeful and take less keystrokes.

Are you implying people are pressing spacebar e.g. 4 times to indent? lol

Also tabs are not uniform around the world, but spaces are.

Tabs for everything. Mixing tabs and spaces is retarded because there's always some bloody wankstain who insists on four-character tabs (?!). Spaces are inefficient for storage and take less work to delete.

That said, I do use spaces where it is customary to use them, i.e. two-space indent in Ruby and four-space indent in Python.

>Spaces are inefficient for storage
Stop saving your work on floppy disks, gramps...

I still happen to program ancient PDP-10s.

>tabs are inefficient for storage

people who press tab to enter 4 spaces are really retarded

>people who use tabs when tabs are different lengths throughout the world are really retarded

When I press tab, my editor is told to indent, not insert tabs or spaces.
Stop using shitty editors that doesn't know how to indent.

I never came across that specific problem, but it'll be really easy to just change the width of tabs in any program i wrote.
Not an issue.

Tabs forever bitch.

tabs.. that's what they're there for.

javascript hipster cunts want to use spaces for some reason, they can suck my cock

This is true if you're creating indentation (a single tab press to generate 4 spaces).

However if you to delete it, or move your cursor over it, you still have to do 4 key presses, compared to tab which would still only need a single one.

I press the tab key and the code indents. I don't give a fuck, it can use NULL characters for all I care.

>you still have to do 4 key presses

Not that I use spaces (or maybe I do, I honestly don't know), but what kind of piece of shit editor do you use that doesn't treat backspace as a "unindent" key when you try to delete whatever you have configured for indenting?

>if you want to delete 4 spaces you have to use 4 keystrokes

lol no. ctrl+shift+ left arrow key lets you select entire words (or groups of spaces) at a time. amazing, right?

this works everywhere, even the Sup Forums reply box, or your browser's address bar.

>but what kind of piece of shit editor do you use that doesn't treat backspace as a "unindent" key when you try to delete whatever you have configured for indenting?
BlueJ

you're on the tabs camp, get over it

this

Lisp doesn't use tabulation.

Found the notepad user.

probelm solved
syntax on
set bg=dark
set nocompatible
set shiftwidth=2
set expandtab
set tabstop=2