I bought a 4k ultra HD premium t.v. and I want to start gathering some 4k HDR content to watch on it

I bought a 4k ultra HD premium t.v. and I want to start gathering some 4k HDR content to watch on it.

Somebody has told me that the smart software in the t.v. can play 4k HDR content just fine, if you hook it up from a external HDD.

Is there anything I should look out for when getting an external HDD for this purpouse?

What kind of HDD would I need to correctly play 4k hdr content on my t.v.?

Other urls found in this thread:

jell.yfish.us/
jell.yfish.us/media/jellyfish-140-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/78/StLouisArchMultExpCDR.jpg
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/StLouisArchMultExpToneMapped.jpg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_video
cnet.com/news/hdr-for-cameras-vs-hdr-for-tvs-whats-the-difference/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump

4K is a gimmick. Great waste of money.

Read the sticky.

Everything is a gimmick according to Sup Forums, even ssd's are called gimmicks here

Not gonna install gentoo

Numbers don't lie.

A 55" 4K TV is optimal at 3' 7". No one sits that fucking close to a 55" display.

Regardless, any high end t.v. has 4k nowadays anyway.

I didn't buy the t.v. for 4k, I bought it for HDR, a bigger screen, wider color gamut, higher refresh rate, and because it has a 10 bit panel over my old 8 bit panel. The 4k is just a nice bonus, even if some people will argue it doesn't make a difference.

Nobody knows the answer?

The only drawback to 4K content is how fucking big it is. Glad I bought into the 4K meme early though, I'm loving it.

As for storage device, nothing really specific. Anything decent will do. I just use a 4TB HDD USB enclosure.

>t. poorfag

NAS with PLEX

So the storage device doesn't really matter?

Nah, not at all.

Yeah the files are like 70gb, top kek

Word.
I was like "Haha time to download my first 4K master race content!" then saw a 56GB file for a movie and was just like "Aw hell naw, senpai."

Thank god I have FIOS.

What kind of mediaplayer do you use to play 4k hdr content, or do you just use your tv?

I just use my TV.

Which one?

>I bought a 4k ultra HD premium t.v.

Got an LG 60UH6150.
Well worth it imo.

Stay mad

I guess it's already been answered, but any normal harddrive will do, I just use 2-4TB WDs.

Here's some test footage.
jell.yfish.us/

The UHD Blueray spec calls for 128mbit 10bit hevc so if the 140mbps 10bit hevc file works for you you are set.
jell.yfish.us/media/jellyfish-140-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv

Also all those 10bit hevc mkv files you might have torrented work just fine on the tv. Oddly enough while h264 mkv's work fine, 10 bit ones aren't supported.

>LG 60UH6150
That's a big t.v.

Enjoy your non-existing content

Heck yeah it is.
Got this badboy mounted right up on the wall over my PC monitor.

Thanks m8, so this should work?

Yes

That's awesome

>>>>>>optimal

Literally couldn't give a fuck about "optimal". Lighting and particle effects in games look great on my 4K TV from the distance I sit.

Anyway, how can a resolution be a gimmick? That doesn't even make sense. Some use cases demand more pixels than others, you cater accordingly.

>4K UltraHD BluRay
lol no

lel that's a 1080p upscale

It's 35mm film 'mastered' into a 10bit hevc encode, where did you get source that it was an upscale?

BTFO

I guess it has about 30mins shot in imax and 8 in 65mm still doesn't explain where you got 1080p upscale from.

He's just portraying the typle uneducated mad response of somebody who doesn't have acces to 4k content

because the file says 4K BD even though AACS2.0 has yet to be cracked

Sounds pretty awesome to me

whoops, meant this ofcourse

>Upscaled from 2k master.
Ahahaha

Did you read the actual text?

You sound like somebody seeing a 9/10 but saying 'pointy elbows would not bang 1/10'

Yeah it basically says it's upscaled but looks a lot better than the 1080p release.
I'm just laughing at the fact that they used a 2k master source when they have 35mm raws that they where too lazy or cheap to digitize again and make a proper master source.

>Yeah it basically says it's upscaled but looks a lot better than the 1080p release.
Coupled with proper HDR, it sounds like a pretty amazing movie experience, don't see the issue

The movie itself is fine, the issue is that it could have been better.
Also when they originally made the master source, they weren't thinking UHD is about the be the standard lets digitize this at around 8k or you know at least 4k. They made a 2k source instead.

I see, would the difference be very visible though?

Bunch of retards, AACS2.0 hasn't been cracked and that's not an HDCP stream rip.
It's just an upscale some mongoloid did with the 1080p bluray.
Typical consumerist 4k drones.

So lets concede it isn't a true 4k format coupled with HDR it still sounds like a much better experience than regular 1080p SDR content

>he fell the blu-ray upscale

>AACS2.0 hasn't been cracked
Wtf does that even mean

You missed
point in that that's not the UHD Blueray, that's some dude on the intenet who upscaled the 1080p blueray.

It's supposed to mean that we can't dumb 4k UHD Blueray discs and watch the video content yet.

That it is impossible to rip 4K BDs at this point

>dumb
dump
fuck me

Does it matter though, would one really see the difference? And would the impact be as big as moving away from 1080 SDR content to this type of upscaled HDR content?

Yeah no it doesn't. No upscale will look better than the original no matter what memes like HDR you throw at it much less when some retard who likes upscales encoded it.

Yes, in this case you WANT the 1080p blueray over this.

Yes, but this is an upscale from the 2k source NOT the already lossy blueray. It won't look as good as the 2k source, but we don't have the source. So it should look better than the 1080p blueray.

>no matter what memes like HDR you throw at it

You just called HDR a meme, this completey discredits anything you are saying on this topic, you are simply ignorant

Sorry this is not from the 2k source. The UHD Blueray is.

>Yes, but this is an upscale from the 2k source NOT the already lossy blueray.
What? i'm talking about the star trek encode, the source is the 1080p bluray.

No it isn't

t. faggot who doesn't even know what HDR is

Yeah corrected myself here
Conversation is getting confusing:
UHD Blueray > 1080p Blueray > Random internet reencode upscale

They seem to think it's a reencode from someone on the interent on account of UHD Blueray's being uncrackable at this time.

You don't know what HDR is if you call it a meme

>Blueray
pls

You clearly don't know what it is since you think it just magically makes some NON HDR upscale look better even though you can apply it to the original source of the upscale as well.

Actually doom9 has experimented with removing banding with 8 bit content upscaled to 10 bit for many years. That's where all these 10 bit anime encodes came from.

it's time to stop. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about

Fallacy, you don't need 10bit to remove banding.
Go away.

tl;dr

The only thing I want to know is wether watching this

on a capable HDR 4k tv (so ultra HD premium, not some cheap model). will look better than on a standard 1080 non hdr capable tv?

For the rest, I don't care, even though you might be right

Will probably look better on a 4k HDR capable tv.

It won't.

It won't look better

Sup Forums

So after "ultra" what word are they gonna use to market higher resolutions?

So you're assuming HDR doesn't add anything to the experience?

Why not just, you know look at it on both?

No, it won't much less on your shitty 55'' tv.

Well ofcourse I plan on doing that.

I just feel it's just another thing that Sup Forums calls a meme, when it really isn't.

Hyper HD aka HHD for the goyim

49 inches

Why is it so hard to crack UHD BDs
What's so special about them

And you're assuming it won't add to the experience of watching the 1080p bluray as well.

lel even worse, why would you buy a 4k meme tv under 65'' anyways? totally retarded

It won't on a t.v. that isn't capable of displaying a wide enough colour gamut, and/or high enough peak brightness which is what I was comparing it to

I'm confused, are you saying it's a meme, or are you conceding here that it actualy matters at higher display sizes? You can't have both

Here is 1 example of "HDR" processing
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/78/StLouisArchMultExpCDR.jpg
vs
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/StLouisArchMultExpToneMapped.jpg
HDR isn't just 10 bit, it's fucking with color settings and shit. Doesn't necessarily look "better". Just changes how it looks.

I'm not saying it looks better, i agree with you completely, i'm just trying to show him his failed thinking.
It'll change the lightness colors on both the upscale and the bluray source.

What he means is that you're dumb enough to buy a 4k tv and also even dumber to buy one under 65 inches.

>upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/StLouisArchMultExpToneMapped.jpg

You are making the classical mistake of thinking the technique behind HDR photographs is comparable to the technique behind HDR content on a television. It isn't.

Which is why you can display an HDR photograph in full glory on a non HDR screen, but you can't display HDR content in it's full glory on a tv screen that lacks the required brightness or color levels

mentioning display size as a relevant factor means 4k is not a meme. Which is what he is conceding to with his dumb ass post, and so are you.

I'm not conceding anything though.
You're so retarded that you not only fell for a meme but also for the shittier version of the meme aka a small 4k tv in which you notice jack shit difference unless you sit 3'' away from the screen, good going there pal.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_video
I see

>but also for the shittier version of the meme
So you are conceding 4k isn't a meme, based on the display size (since you imply a difference between two 4k screens of different display sizes). Glad we got that straight.

There you go, an actual article that go's into the differences, not just a wikipedia article describing hdr video.

cnet.com/news/hdr-for-cameras-vs-hdr-for-tvs-whats-the-difference/

Np, 4k is still a marketing meme cause there's no content. Enjoy your day goyim ;^)

That contradicts your claims earlier, I guess we can discard your opinions on this subject as horseshit then

Nope, it doesn't.
Learn to read ;^)

There's plenty of 4k content, also have fun with your stone age shitty non HDR capable t.v.