Why don't you use Folding@Home, Sup Forums? It's a great way to help people without doing anything

Why don't you use Folding@Home, Sup Forums? It's a great way to help people without doing anything

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foldit
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EteRNA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>without doing anything
Then how come I'm not doing it

Well ok you have to download it

> CPU at 100% all the time
> Destroying the economy by doing someones work for free.

No thanks

Power costs money bruv

The real reason why i'm not using it is because i'd never remember to start it

huge botnet is huge

and people join it for free

I used to. I quit when they had the whole drama about BigAdv core requirements and point rewards. The rest of the people on the team I was on had already left.

Why would I want to spend money to help some large corporation earn money?

Don't forget to help them with upgrading your CPU to the latest Intel Kaby lake (tm) i7-7700K.

>doing stuff for free
the only thing i do for free is shitpost on Sup Forums

It's really more of a gpu thing

It's an academic project, cockgoggles, not some meme startup

Because there's a slim hope that they may actually save human lives, or help doing it.
Wouldn't that justify having a program run in the background while your pc is on anyway?

There are also games that are basically crowdfunded protein folding

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foldit

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EteRNA

>the whole drama about BigAdv core requirements and point rewards

Care to elaborate? Seems like an interesting story

It's (((research))) by some graduate student that will inevitably be copyrighted, placed behind a paywall, and used by a megacorp to make billions. Fuck off with your jewish scam. These universities have BILLIONS in trusts, they can afford their own servers for this shit if it's sooooo important to society.

Some time ago (like, six years? ish?) the hip thing to do in the folding community was BigAdv work units. There were "big" WUs (larger memory requirements), "advanced" WUs (larger computational requirements, tighter deadlines), and BigAdv (both). You needed something like 12 physical cores to do them at all. Anyway a lot of people built rigs just to do that, because they were worth a fuckton of points. Quad-socket AMD Interlagos boards were really popular.

Anyway there were a bunch of people with these 12, 16, and 24-core systems racing up the leaderboards, and then Pande group decided to up the requirements for BigAdv to 64 (!) cores, so a lot of people who'd spent a lot of money on folding rigs were pretty steamed, since the change dumped them back into regular WUs that weren't worth nearly as many points.

Now around the same time this was going on they released new software, the v7 client. Previously folding was just running a program, available in your choice of a Windows GUI or a cross-platform command-line version. The v7 client was a client-server thing (even if you were only on one computer - think like how Deluge works), which people who didn't have a whole farm of computers folding didn't care for. What nobody cared for was that it was buggy. Lots of people reported machines that had been folding happily were now failing to fetch WUs, failing to complete WUs they did fetch, etc. No, you couldn't just keep using v6, only the new v7 client was allowed to talk to the assignment servers.

I never did get GPU folding (which was the other way to rack up a lot of points) working properly on v7. I wasn't running BigAdv but I was kinda disgusted with the whole thing and quit. I ran other DC projects for a while. There's a million of em, folding's just one of the biggest/oldest.

>cancer research is a jewish scam
go take a .45-caliber aspirin, Sup Forums

Must be sad seeing the world like you do. Everyone is out there just to fuck your day up, right?

I had no idea there could be drama on fucking Folding@home but wow

Fuck people imo

Im sure someone will post a treatment or medicine that has come out of this.

Fuck you jordan, off to Beat Buy this morning?

Not him but i remember when this shitstorm hit, it pissed a large number of people off. Hell, i knew a couple of people who were running dual/quad socket rigs for bigadv workunits, and they were essentially thrown to the curb once Bigadv was shutdown and v7 was forced on everyone.

On top of that Stanford has also started screwing over anyone not running gen2 Kepler or newer, or were running different generations of GPUs in the same rig. For the former, the workunits provided were of lower value and would take longer to process, and for the latter with the addition of v7 it became much harder to properly set them up.

I personally got tired of Stanfords shit and moved on to running BOINC projects every now and then.

>He fell for the capitalism meme

Nah I spent too much there lately, do still want to upgrade muh RAM but will probably buy it on Amazon

>help people
That's exactly why I don't do it

Boinc exists and lets me do multiple workloads for multiple different universities around the world, with more diversity. I can do particle physics computing at the same time I'm folding proteins for ROSETTA project.

Its client also seems to manage your workloads better and will automatically disable its tasks when your other computer usage works above your set threshold, and it allows me to have more fine grained control over how much resources i can allocate to it.

I tend to let it handle 1 core all the time of the CPU, and run something on the integrated GPU if a project supports it. If im leaving for the day, or know im not going to use my computer for an extended period i might set it to run 7 cores + Igpu +Dgpu.

F@H tended to be very aggressive in how it would complete work units and often would just max a processor outright, fail to see my WORKSTATION gpus, and such. I made use of it on my PS3 when it still was supported though.

The client doesn't respect my freedom.