So I've been out of the PC tech scene for a while now but I've become interested in today's graphics cards...

So I've been out of the PC tech scene for a while now but I've become interested in today's graphics cards. My PC is running the same Radeon HD 5850 1gb it's had since 2009, which has been great, but cards now seem to have 4gb vram minimum and much better performance.

What seems strange to me is that the cards are much smaller now and some apparently don't even need to be plugged into the PSU, they just draw enough power from the MOBO. How is that?

This is the card I'm looking at; Radeon rx 480. This is considered a good card, right? Or is nvidia leading in GPUs currently?

Other urls found in this thread:

game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=3104&gid2=2668&compare=AMD Radeon R7 370 MSI Gaming 4GB Edition-vs-Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 EVGA 1GB Edition
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Alright, I'll make an exception to stop shitposting anime for this one thread.

can you please get a tripcode? i don't want to filter you, i want to be able to find your anime posts more easily on the archive

get the msi gaming x 480, coolest running 480 on the market

>What seems strange to me is that the cards are much smaller now and some apparently don't even need to be plugged into the PSU, they just draw enough power from the MOBO. How is that?
This only applies to some low-end graphics cards. But yes, computer parts are getting more and more power efficient over years.

>This is the card I'm looking at; Radeon rx 480. This is considered a good card, right? Or is nvidia leading in GPUs currently?
It's best midtier card on market right now. GTX 1070 and 1080 are better but they're much more expensive.

But then mean anons will call me a tripfag!
Plus, some will filter my posts

>i want to be able to find your anime posts more easily on the archive
For what purpose, so you can report me easily!?

Thanks bro. Shit, is 4k becoming standard? I feel so obsolete with my 1080p monitor.

I want my shit good and ready for when Mount & Blade 2 comes out.

n-no, because i save a lot of your pics but it gets annoying to check every new thread

there's no such thing as a medium tier card anymore, everything is GAYMER XXX OC RAZER EDITION
pick up a nvidia TI 700/900 series or an amd equivalent because this shit wont end soon

>700 series
god no kepler has aged like dog shit

Any Mount and Blade fan will know the graphics were never the focus of the game.

Take my no true scotsman and shove it up your ass.

>Shit, is 4k becoming standard
>standard
Not anytime soon

I'm looking to get a fairly good card for max 200 bucks.

Why are the 470 and the 480 so goddamn similar in price? I even found 480 for under 200.

what makes u say that mate

Graphics aren't a focus but the game is best played with hundreds of soldiers on the field. My current card gets laggy when my screen is facing too many soldiers at once.

>Mount & Blade 2 comes out.
>comes out
>out
someone pls tell him

I know it's been like half a decade, but it's coming. I know it is...

290>780ti is one example,

rx 480 is great for 1080p

because the 480 is only about 10-15% more powerful

i cant compare amd cards to nvidia so i have no idea what this means
i'm guessing a 290 is shit

Got me thinking. Check this site out.
game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=3104&gid2=2668&compare=AMD Radeon R7 370 MSI Gaming 4GB Edition-vs-Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 EVGA 1GB Edition
Current comparison is the card I've got VS the one I'm waiting on.
Much easier than looking at fucky benchmarks.

w8 i said 750 TI and that one uses maxwell

I almost bought the 470 instead of the 1060 3gb. Seems like the 480 is the one on par with the 1060. Still slightly worse but who the fuck cares about 4% when you have 1gb more vram

That's pretty neat. The rx 480 looks like a huge upgrade.

the XFX RX 480 GTR black edition is better for overclocking but it costs about 40$ more

Holy shit I guess I was lucky with buying the MSI 480. Someone I know got another one from some literallywho and it's constantly at 80° minimum while playing.

What does yours run at?

60 when playing demanding games

Checked.
Yeah the extra gig will come in handy. Don't know what they were thinking putting out a 3GB card this late in the game.
That's why I've gone the 4GB R7. Great card for doing things other than gaming (taking into consideration that it's a R7), as this rig while 'brand new' will be put on the back burner when I get my hands on Zen.

c or f

i got my gtr for 250 bucks and it sits at a nice 1470mhz

kelvin

c

I've seen a (i think overclocked) 480 for 180 bucks but
>Single Fan
Come on that thing is going to fucking melt.

Science needs to stop naming things after people. It's just confusing.
Shit like Hawking radiation needs to go. It's obtuse and counter intuitive to the field.

The RX 480 can either fill the niche of 120fps 1080p, or 60fps 1440p
Granted thats kind of an average, but for its low price it gives stellar performance for almost anything you can throw at it.

Some cards can run on the 75w output of the pci x16 slot alone
But thats not a new thing, plenty of cards have been able to do that, going back ages too. Its just within the last few generations that those cards have been any good though.
750ti, r7 250, gtx 950, 1050ti, rx 460, etc

Im actually running two powercolor 460's in crossfire right now for the lols, im getting fuckin 100fps average in maxed out 1080p gta v
Its bonkers, considering i got both of them for 80$ and 50$