You are ready to leave the Microsoft botnet

You are ready to leave the Microsoft botnet.

You must pick one OS for life.

What distro do you choose?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/gentoo/portage/releases/tag/portage-2.3.3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ubuntu

macOS

xubuntu

Arch
I've heard it's pretty customizable and full of memes

Arch + openRC

I chose Linux

just the kernel, thanks

windows 7

Xubuntu

Ubuntu with XFCE
Xubuntu

You realize mandriva and Kate haven't been updated in years.

fedora

Kali

They're all the same, shit for brains.

You can literally uninstall the default package manager and install whichever you want, same for DE, even the kernel sources.

I already installed fedora.

This.

Antergros.
Basically arch with optimisation

I use it desu it's pretty /comfy/ then again I just didn't feel like doing the normal arch install

Devuan (Debain with OpenRC)

iOS

Arch.

Not even a question.

>You can literally uninstall the default package manager and install whichever you want
Really? How do I install Portage on Arch?

github.com/gentoo/portage/releases/tag/portage-2.3.3

At this point you might as well be running Gentoo, though.

I'd rather never use a computer again than be forced to run GNU/Linux desktop ever again.

ChromeOS

Ubuntu... I have a job and need something that works without much hassle.

I pick ubuntu.

Since most universities use that in my country.

who's this seamen daemon?

ZorinOS

Debian testing

If my drivers are god-tier, then arch.

Else, ubuntu minimal.

Arch

still deciding between debian and arch.

bad meme

>tfw too intelligent to use anything other than arch

naw, I like ubuntu.

But you use whatever you want.

Zorin

Choosing Debian lets you switch between Stable, Testing, and Unstable for the rest of your life. I doubt you would want to run a server on Arch.

OpenPEPE

Gentoo

Kali

this

Where is Apple on that list?

Solus. Frankly, it's one of the few distros with a clear vision.

iOS is the only option for my Hackingtosh

void

If you are a brand new user, choose ubuntu.

If you are a slightly less new user choose linux mint.

If you are slightly less new try out these distros within the course of a few weeks
>debian
>fedora
>linux mint
>suse
>centos

If you are a slightly seasoned user learn arch.

If you are hardcore then learn gentoo after arch, but otherwise stop at arch.

Use arch/gentoo for a while then go back to ubuntu. Install Ubuntu unity and then try to install xfce on it.

Congradulations now you realize you can do whatever you want in any distribution.

Use literally whatever they give you from now on.

Solus

>inb4 Kevin pls go

Gentoo

Debian. I like stability.

I always only buy/use a product that has the best logo (I even choose my books by their cover), so I'd go for CentOS

Whte male here.

For life? Probably Ubuntu or Debian. Not my favorite, but long term I don't want to get stuck with something I like more but can get abandoned or broken.

I'm a white male btw

Currently using Fedora, but for life I would probably pick CentOS or Debian. (or OpenBSD)

OpenSUSE

Debian

Fedora. Use it on all my machines (except my centos 7 vps, but still red hat). Has up to date packages and the latest and greatest stuff (Wayland, firewalld, etc) and has fantastic gnome integration so it feels very cohesive.
>inb4 someone calls me a red hat shill

>no freebsd

Enjoy your NSA developed ((((security)))) software.

I don't know how anyone can stand CentOS/Fedora. We have a CentOS web server at work that randomly decides it won't talk to one specific IP. Reboot always fixes it. I'm about to rebuild it with ubuntu.

Isn't Mandriva dead?

I hope you get fired for being an incompetent retard with AIDS

What's the fix then if it's so trivial?

It could be a physical problem, you could try checking the cable. I have no idea why you would have such an issue.

>implying I'm on the m$ botnet
Debian easily. I get stable for NAS, small personal server, and routers and get Sid for the desktop.

When it happens, one workstation can't load the website but any other workstation can. The workstation having the problem can load any other website. The CentOS box can ping anything else but the one workstation that is having the problem. It's not a physical network issue.

I honestly think it's something with SELinux but good luck troubleshooting that.

OpenBSD fuck Linux and it's shitty sound systems

No RHEL badge?

Selinux has some built in trouble shooting stuff. Look into the audit2allow command.

The image probably hasn't been updated in some time.
The modern version, Mageia, is pretty good iirc.

I've ran Arch on Memepads since 2009, think I'll stick with that

which OS has thumbnail preview in file chooser dialog OOB

>ALSA is too complicated for me

t. (You)

>What's the fix then if it's so trivial?
A new sysadmin who knows WTF he's doing and how to troubleshoot a problem.

It's like you want to be stupid forever.

Red Hat

Distros come and go but Red Hat has the best chance of surviving for years to come.

>They're all the same, shit for brains.

Not true at all, ya dingus. You try to turn Ubuntu into Gentoo and you're going to be sitting around troubleshooting for the next 2 years.

t. RHEL

>too complicated

Something as basic as the computer making sounds should not require fiddling and debugging in 2017, you retarded apologist.

Raspbian PIXEL :^)

CentOS is literally the same thing

It would definitely be between the three distros who have parent companies that aren't going anywhere and provide commercial Linux support, so Ubuntu, Fedora, or openSUSE. I'm currently a Fedora fan, so it would likely be that.

Windows 7.

Debian is my weapon of choice

>For life

Ubuntu is the only distro that's guaranteed to still exist 10 years from now

it's not like a distro being abandoned will wipe your hard drive

nothing guaranteed, nigga.

gentoo 8-)

Nah, Debian will live.

Fedora rawhide

dumb

Debian
without doubt

>remove all the bloat that comes with ubuntu or, better, choose a minimal installation
>swap apt for portage
>swap systemd for openrc
>(optional) compile gentoo sources and use that instead of ubuntu kernel
There you go, kid, a fully working Gentoo distribution in the same time that it takes to install Gentoo.

That's what Linux newbies don't understand. They keep fighting for which distro is the best when at the end of the every Linux hacker knows that they're just different bloat on top of a Linux kernel. You can swap any parts that you want and turn whatever distro that you have in whichever other distro that you want.

The "distro" that you have is irrelevant, the only constant is kernel. You can otherwise build any kind of system that you want; yes, even on Ubuntu, you don't need Arch/Gentoo/Slackware to be able to do that.

but the logo...

im on arch and im going to install gentoo for the first time but hell for my entire life ?
Ubuntu

The fuck are you talking about?

I choose the ubuntu botnet.

goatse

you should know that

i'd pick slackware if it wasn't dying

i think i'll go with gentoo

You're completely delusional if you think that doing that is simpler than installing Gentoo in the first place.

Gentoo won't fight (too much) if you want to make such changes, but Ubuntu will crash and burn before you have a usable system.

Ubuntu will crash and burn if you try to make changes? Gentoo won't fight too much? Are we still talking about distributions here, or have Ubuntu and Gentoo suddenly become sentient beings?

Ubuntu won't "fight" any more than Gentoo would because at the end of the day they're the same thing: A Linux kernel, only different crap installed on top of it.

And due to the way Linux/Unix systems are engineered, they're completely modular and you can disassemble and replace and reassemble the parts however you want, so long as you come up with a consistent sum of parts in the end.

>And due to the way Linux/Unix systems are engineered, they're completely modular and you can disassemble and replace and reassemble the parts however you want, so long as you come up with a consistent sum of parts in the end.
LMAO